Clive Palmer
15%
George Smith
15%

Total votes: 20

guy smiley

Re: The Australian Politics Thread

Post by guy smiley »

True to form he spent all week denying it before making it official on the weekend,

The Libs lose yet another minister, their manager in the house and the dominant moderate in their party ranks. They're falling apart.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-03-02/ ... s/10864364
Defence Minister Christopher Pyne has announced his retirement from federal politics, adding to a swathe of senior Coalition ministers who will not recontest the federal election in May.

The rump of resignations presents a political headache for Prime Minister Scott Morrison and the Coalition, which needs to win seats to stay in power after the poll.

There has been speculation about Mr Pyne's political future for weeks, but he has today said it was better to retire while people were asking him to stay, rather than telling him to go.

"Twenty-seven years ago I was preselected as the Liberal candidate on a platform of renewal – in 2019, it is time to renew again," Mr Pyne said in a statement.

"At 51, I still have the opportunity to have a second career beyond politics."

His retirement comes after Nigel Scullion, Steve Ciobo, Michael Keenan, Kelly O'Dwyer, and former foreign minister Julie Bishop announced their own departures.

Mr Pyne said he would move to the private sector after the election and start his own business.

"I had two years as a lawyer, some would say I was pretending to be a lawyer while I was campaigning for politics and I think there is some truth to that," he said.

"You've got to know when to go and it's nice to go when people are asking you to stay, rather than when they're trying to plot to remove you."

Mr Pyne said he told the Prime Minister about his decision on Tuesday, and he still believed the Coalition would win the election.

"I'm not leaving because I'm worried about going into opposition, I'm leaving because 26 years is a tremendous run," he said.
Resignation triggers reshuffle

The resignation of Defence Industry Minister Mr Ciobo will trigger a minor Cabinet reshuffle, with Liberal senator Linda Reynolds to take over his portfolio responsibilities.

Mr Pyne will remain as Defence Minister and Leader of the Government in the House of Representatives until the election.

If the Coalition wins the election, Senator Reynolds would take over from Mr Pyne as Defence Minister.

She will be sworn in at Government House in Canberra on Saturday morning.

"She's a very fine individual," Mr Pyne said.

"The wonderful thing about politics is there is always somebody behind you climbing the ladders who wants to replace you."
Ciobo 'contemplating retirement' for months

Mr Ciobo said he had been contemplating retirement for months and had spoken with the Prime Minister about it "for the last couple of weeks".

Mr Ciobo resigned as trade minister after supporting Peter Dutton in the Liberal leadership spill last year, but remained in Cabinet.

He told Sky News if he had been elected deputy leader of the party that may have prompted him to remain in Parliament.

"If I had become deputy leader then that would have ultimately altered things and I didn't want to die knowing, so I put my hand up," Mr Ciobo said.

"I am so grateful to those colleagues who supported me and even those who didn't, because ultimately everyone is in there trying to do the right thing.

"It's a tough business politics, but it's a business that's unlike anything else."
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

I hated Pyne politically and disagreed with him on pretty much every issue, but for some reason I kind of liked him. Not sure why, he was a prick of a politician, but there was something kind of endearing about his smug, camp, shrill and somewhat pompous nature.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Ali's Choice wrote:I hated Pyne politically and disagreed with him on pretty much every issue, but for some reason I kind of liked him. Not sure why, he was a prick of a politician, but there was something kind of endearing about his smug, camp, shrill and somewhat pompous nature.

6.Jones

Post by 6.Jones »

shanky wrote:This is bullshit

Everyone knows Jones is not a genuine 6, at Test level at least

Fckn noobs..
I ain't taking no jive from no Western Union messenger.
shanky

Post by shanky »

6.Jones wrote:

Fckn noobs..
:lol:

Incidentally, I’ve seen Jones play 12 before, for the Marlins. He was sensational. :thumbup:
6.Jones

Post by 6.Jones »

shanky wrote:
6.Jones wrote:

Fckn noobs..

Incidentally, I’ve seen Jones play 12 before, for the Marlins. He was sensational. :thumbup:
Jones is like Pete Garrett. Looks the part. Should've been sensational. Rolls over.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Good to see you back G.

You owe me the second part of your story!
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

I'm liking Michael Daley's approach:

Telling Alan Jones he will sack him from the SCG board for negligence

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/nsw/you ... 511ri.html

:thumbup:
wamberal99

Post by wamberal99 »

Did he actually tell Jones face to face? I would like to hear that conversation.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

It was live so if you can stomach listening to the Parrot, go for it

Parrot jumps Shark hopefully!
Brumbie_Steve

Post by Brumbie_Steve »

mightyreds wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:Image
You have to factor in 'preferred PM' polls, too, Ali. I still haven't seen one where The Abominable Shorten was ahead of the ScoMo.

I'll ponder that deeply when I pick up my 'vote for PM' ballot.
Vuaka

Post by Vuaka »

I was at the AFR Business Summit today where the PM was the first speaker. I felt like I was in a Pentecostal church as Shouty McShoutface spewed bile from the pulpit as he sought to blame Labor for everything wrong under the sun. He even brought up the R word.

Compared to Turnbull, who spoke at last year's Summit, Morrison comes across as a deranged madman and incoherent with his arms waving everywhere as he talks. All he needed was his cap to complete the picture.

The audience seemed to lap up Morrison's shit which probably explains why the LNP are still sitting at 47% 2PP. Phil Coorey asked the PM some question afterwards but they were pretty mild. If only Leigh Sales had been there.. but no, this was a Ch Nine (Fairfax) party.

Shorten speaks tomorrow. Let's see how he goes.
wamberal99

Post by wamberal99 »

It doesn't matter what happens now, the die is cast, and Scummo is headed for the dustbin.

The electorate has made its mind up. End of story.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

'a particularly Australian brand of madness'

--- Barrie Cassidy on ABC breakfast, commenting on signs the Nats are going to force a leadership spill and reinstate the BeetRooter :lol:
Taranaki Snapper

Post by Taranaki Snapper »

guy smiley wrote:'a particularly Australian brand of madness'

--- Barrie Cassidy on ABC breakfast, commenting on signs the Nats are going to force a leadership spill and reinstate the BeetRooter :lol:
and that James Bond/Sugar Daddy idiot is considering running as an Independent...WHEEE!!!

_fatprop

Post by _fatprop »

So today Abbott back flipped
https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal ... 512sn.html

Basically because he is battling for his political life

I find it interesting to watch his usual tactics of negative, continually stated short statements falling flat whilst Steggall's suggestion that he is out of touch is sticking strongly
wamberal99

Post by wamberal99 »

He richly deserves to get tossed out on his dumbo ears. No talent, no charisma, no leadership qualities at all. Just a wrecker. Any unprincipled fool can play that game.
Last edited by wamberal99 on Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
kiap

Post by kiap »

wamberal99 wrote:He richly deserves to get tossed on out his dumbo ears. No talent, no charisma, no leadership qualities at all. Just a wrecker. Any unprincipled fool can play that game.
Yuh. Time for the scrap heap.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

#nomoreTony
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

wamberal99 wrote:He richly deserves to get tossed out on his dumbo ears. No talent, no charisma, no leadership qualities at all. Just a wrecker. Any unprincipled fool can play that game.
And many have. But few in Strayan politics have had such material effect, tho'.

Tony the Überwrecker. What a legacy...
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Tonight's Newspoll figures are grim for the government, slipping to 46-54 behind the ALP on 2PP.

Paul Murray cut a dejected, teary figure on Sky News tonight when discussing this poll.
Taranaki Snapper

Ali's Choice wrote:Tonight's Newspoll figures are grim for the government, slipping to 46-54 behind the ALP on 2PP.

Paul Murray cut a dejected, teary figure on Sky News tonight when discussing this poll.
Salty tears in his fat man's neckbeard, magic...
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Taranaki Snapper wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:Tonight's Newspoll figures are grim for the government, slipping to 46-54 behind the ALP on 2PP.

Salty tears in his fat man's neckbeard, magic...
Yup, it was funny to watch.

Apparently this is the 50th Newspoll in a row that the Coalition have trailed the ALP. I can't see Scott Morrison reversing that trend between now and the May election.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

If McCormack had any balls he'd expel the Beetrooter.

Probably can't though

Nice comeback:

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal ... 513at.html
Brumbie_Steve

Post by Brumbie_Steve »

What's the chances of the beetrooter regaining the leadership of the NP and then retiring for 'family reasons' at the next election. Good for the hip pocket.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Brumbie_Steve wrote:What's the chances of the beetrooter regaining the leadership of the NP and then retiring for 'family reasons' at the next election. Good for the hip pocket.
Sadly, there are people who would still vitae for him
Taranaki Snapper

Taranaki Snapper

grouch

Post by grouch »

Taranaki Snapper wrote:Image
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

Taranaki Snapper wrote:Image
:lol: Very good!
Slim 293

Post by Slim 293 »

wamberal99

Post by wamberal99 »

I wonder who he thinks might decide to switch votes because of this specious nonsense?
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Where there's smoke...

The Project on Friday night featured a statement from Waleed Aly sparked by the Christchurch attacks. During that talk he refered to media reports from 2011 suggesting Scott Morrison had suggested, as Shadow Immigration Minister speaking in cabinet, that the Libs capitalise on community fears about Muslims and use that in the coming election campaign.

Now, the PM's office are threatening defamation action. Nothing hoses down suspicion like a good old threat of legal action.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Enjoyed my Democracy Sausage today in the NSW election.

Is NSW sick of everything being sold off or did Michael Daley do a John Hewson?
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

Pat the Ex Mat wrote:Enjoyed my Democracy Sausage today in the NSW election.

It’s like this:

NSW Labor Party: Yeah, the electorate seems to like right-wing governments so that’s the way we’ll play it.

NSW electorate: If the choice is right or right, let’s vote for the mob who never pretend to be anything else.

Also, lemme just say - ha ha farcan ha NSW Labor. You keep rolling out these clueless and charmless right wing fúcks and cry a river when they get hosed. And. Learn. Nothing.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

MungoMan wrote:

It’s like this:

NSW Labor Party: Yeah, the electorate seems to like right-wing governments so that’s the way we’ll play it.

NSW electorate: If the choice is right or right, let’s vote for the mob who never pretend to be anything else.

Also, lemme just say - ha ha farcan ha NSW Labor. You keep rolling out these clueless and charmless right wing fúcks and cry a river when they get hosed. And. Learn. Nothing.
So are the NSW libs not as retarded and bottom feeder as the federal version?

Bah, I thought this was the federal election ... I want to transfer some money back to NZ but the stupid exchange rate is cabbage at the moment. Need that election to be over.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Looks as if Gladys might be able to form government... not many seats changing hands.

So NSW is still screwed.

Meanwhile....

https://twitter.com/hughriminton/status ... 7792259073
Hugh Riminton
‏Verified account @hughriminton

Worth noting: in February a furious #PeterDutton claimed bribes-for-visas allegations we reported were “entirely false.” Yesterday, Home Affairs Sec Mike Pezzullo confirmed they have been escalated to an external investigation by ACLEI, the powerful law enforcement watchdog.
Hold your breath and don't mention the war. Dutton might yet go down.
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

guy smiley wrote:Looks as if Gladys might be able to form government... not many seats changing hands.

So NSW is still screwed.

Meanwhile....

https://twitter.com/hughriminton/status ... 7792259073
Hugh Riminton
‏Verified account @hughriminton

Worth noting: in February a furious #PeterDutton claimed bribes-for-visas allegations we reported were “entirely false.” Yesterday, Home Affairs Sec Mike Pezzullo confirmed they have been escalated to an external investigation by ACLEI, the powerful law enforcement watchdog.
Hold your breath and don't mention the war. Dutton might yet go down.
Please please please please baby please
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

UncleFB wrote:
MungoMan wrote:

It’s like this:

So are the NSW libs not as retarded and bottom feeder as the federal version?
IMO, Berejiklian is nothing like as repugnant as Scummo and her government as a whole is not quite as utterly disgraceful and useless. Even so, they’ve been pretty damned ordinary and it shows just how bereft of appeal NSW Labor is that the Libs look to have been returned.