15%

Total votes: 20

6.Jones

Re: The Australian Politics Thread

Post by 6.Jones »

kiap wrote:
6.Jones wrote:
kiap wrote:
6.Jones wrote:A much better system is the Apple Google design.
Not available yet, obviously. The API is only being provided to app developers next week.
We built our own. :) Based on the same principleas as the Apple Google design but blockchain. And we invented it ourselves. Sadly we invented it second.
http://tensho.nuclyus.com/
I assume you were involved. I'm also assuming the big boys would either buy out whoever came first or, where possible, try to brush them with market power?
It's my design. The Hosho blockchain underneath it is mine. I hope someone buys it out. :-)
Like I'll tell people when I'm drunk and old, Apple Google stole my design, before I designed it.
6.Jones

Post by 6.Jones »

kiap wrote:Anyway, well done for being involved. :thumbup:

Another prototype here which claims to use no personal data ...
  • According to the ConTrace developers, their app is distinct from the solutions used in Singapore and being developed by Apple and Google because it requires no personal information from users. They say the app has been “designed from the ground up to be totally privacy-protecting and anonymous.”

ConTrace users receive randomly generated identifiers and tracing data never leaves the user’s device. When alerts of contact with an infected person are issued they do not include any information like time or place.

“People’s fear and distrust about large corporations and governments collecting and misusing our data is understandable, considering the potential surveillance and commercial gains that could be made,” said Jonathan Armstrong, creator of ConTrace.

“It’s not good enough to provide assurances that personal data will not be misused or hacked – there should be no personal data to misuse, period.”

https://which-50.com/contact-tracing-au ... -covid-19/
I bet they do [almost] the same thing. We're not going to market with an app now. Who can compete with the big boys?
Taranaki Snapper

Post by Taranaki Snapper »

Ali's Choice wrote:So who is going to download the govt's new COVIDsafe app?

For those not based in Australia, the Federal govt has released an app which will track our movement through our mobile phones and help automate the contract tracing process. Not brilliant for personal privacy, and this government has a terrible track record for managing private data confidentially, but could help with contact tracing and containing the virus.

Thoughts Aussie boredies?
Still undecided. I'd like to help the war effort where I can but I don't trust this mob for shit...also, my current work/iso pattern is such that I haven't spent 15mins in close proximity of anyone since mid-March...
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Taranaki Snapper wrote:

For those not based in Australia, the Federal govt has released an app which will track our movement through our mobile phones and help automate the contract tracing process. Not brilliant for personal privacy, and this government has a terrible track record for managing private data confidentially, but could help with contact tracing and containing the virus.

Still undecided. I'd like to help the war effort where I can but I don't trust this mob for shit...also, my current work/iso pattern is such that I haven't spent 15mins in close proximity of anyone since mid-March...
I downloaded it last night. No sure if that makes me a soft-hearted, leftie, sheeple or a Kool Aid drinking, IPA-supporting fascism-sympathiser, but I just figured I would do it.

'
Taranaki Snapper

Ali's Choice wrote:
Taranaki Snapper wrote:

I downloaded it last night. No sure if that makes me a soft-hearted, leftie, sheeple or a Kool Aid drinking, IPA-supporting fascism-sympathiser, but I just figured I would do it.

'
Easy download? Heard a few complaints last night, possibly now resolved...also, please report any effect on your battery usage, with the app running and continuous bluetooth connection...
Bindi

Post by Bindi »

Downloaded and installed. If people like Mike Cannon-Brookes reckon it's OK, it probably is OK.

Here's what he said on Hacker News
I believe the government, PM and various ministers have said the code will be released. My sources also say exactly the same.
They’re obviously operating with extreme urgency to get the app out. For you.

Give them a few weeks to clean up code and release it (which is very normal) - but in the meantime, here are some tips:

- Turn the HN angry mob mode off - it’s not helpful. We’re all in this together.

- Commend the government on some smart privacy and security choices (data deleted after 21 days, open source code, AWS in Australia, sensible sec practices etc). They won’t get it all right - and we as a tech community can help them. Find a bug & help get them closed.

- When asked by non technical people “Should I install this app? Is my data / privacy safe? Is it true it doesn’t track my location?” - say “Yes” and help them understand. Fight the misinformation. Remind them how little time they think before they download dozens of free, adware crap games that are likely far worse for their data & privacy than this ever would be!

Thank you
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Taranaki Snapper wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
Taranaki Snapper wrote:

'
Easy download? Heard a few complaints last night, possibly now resolved...also, please report any effect on your battery usage, with the app running and continuous bluetooth connection...
Was easy enough yes. Will keep an eye on my battery usage.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

I downloaded it this morning.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Ali's Choice wrote:
Taranaki Snapper wrote:

'

Same. Us lefties must stick together during these times of crisis. Solidarity brother.
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

Downloaded it but was nonplussed when it didn’t automatically display a registration page, and neither could I find a registration link. A web search brought up a Ch Nein piece to the effect that the registration feature was intended to go live at 6pm last night. And perhaps it did, elsewhere.

But not here in the quiet streets of Coalfalls, clearly.
6.Jones

Post by 6.Jones »

MungoMan wrote:Downloaded it but was nonplussed when it didn’t automatically display a registration page, and neither could I find a registration link. A web search brought up a Ch Nein piece to the effect that the registration feature was intended to go live at 6pm last night. And perhaps it did, elsewhere.

I wouldn't think you'd have to register. It doesn't need to know who you are. If it does, then that's seemingly a voluntary privacy breach, right off the top. The Singapore app it's based on only collects the phone numbers the device comes into contact with.

Edit: I see you do have to provide your "your name (or pseudonym), age range, postcode and phone number." Oh well, that's just bad design. They don't need that data to perform the contact tracing task.
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

6.Jones wrote:
MungoMan wrote:Downloaded it but was nonplussed when it didn’t automatically display a registration page, and neither could I find a registration link. A web search brought up a Ch Nein piece to the effect that the registration feature was intended to go live at 6pm last night. And perhaps it did, elsewhere.

I wouldn't think you'd have to register. It doesn't need to know who you are. If it does, then that's seemingly a voluntary privacy breach, right off the top. The Singapore app it's based on only collects the phone numbers the device comes into contact with.

Edit: I see you do have to provide your "your name (or pseudonym), age range, postcode and phone number." Oh well, that's just bad design. They don't need that data to perform the contact tracing task.
It’s. A. Piece. Of. Crap. Like most things the Cwth lay their webbed, 14-fingered hands upon.

I wasted a large chunk of my day faffing around trying to use woeful Cwth IT and phone answering services, with v. little joy at the end of it. And this had nowt to do with The CoronAIDS!
6.Jones

Post by 6.Jones »

MungoMan wrote:
6.Jones wrote:

It’s. A. Piece. Of. Crap. Like most things the Cwth lay their webbed, 14-fingered hands upon.

I wasted a large chunk of my day faffing around trying to use woeful Cwth IT and phone answering services, with v. little joy at the end of it. And this had nowt to do with The CoronAIDS!
Is it bad? That's a shame. Good for competitors, I suppose. The way a tracing app should work is you start it up, it says hi and asks for permission to use bluetooth, the internet and phone services, and that's the last you hear from it until your mistress gets diagnosed.
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

6.Jones wrote:
MungoMan wrote:
6.Jones wrote:

Is it bad? That's a shame. Good for competitors, I suppose.
Rush-release The 6roucho Plaguetracker. In no time flat all the cool folk will want one!
Bindi

Post by Bindi »

Worked immediately for me.
Sensible Stephen

Post by Sensible Stephen »

Bindi wrote:Worked immediately for me.
Likewise.

Its got 4.6 stars on Google Play at the moment, so seems like most people are finding it ok.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Apparently it’s not available in my country.

Adelaide.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

guy smiley wrote:Apparently it’s not available in my country.

Adelaide.
State of Mind Bro ;)
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

Delete the tracker app and downloaded it again a short while ago. This time it actually asked questions, sent an SMS, i.e. actually worked.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

So focusing on Federal politics for a moment, the seat of Eden Manaro on the NSW South Coast appears certain to be coming up for a bye election, as longterm ALP MP Mike Kelly is facing serious health battles. NSW State Deputy Premier John Barilaro has already said he is interested in contesting it, as is the local state MP Andrew Constance. Sky News is already celebrating this as a Coalition win, and mocking ALbanese for being the first Federal ALP leader to lose a bye election in Opposition for a century.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

I thought Constance was quitting politics?
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Mike Kelly just resigned from parliament. Bring on the bye-election.
wamberal99

Post by wamberal99 »

Ali's Choice wrote:Mike Kelly just resigned from parliament. Bring on the bye-election.

A very tough seat to win. Kelly was the ideal candidate, good military background.
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

Apropos of nothing very much as regards preceding bored discussion, I’m wondering if the RAAF is training / readying itself for something in the near future. A Globemaster has been carrying out repeated circuits, wheels up and wheels down, a Spartan passed to the west headed vaguely north and a Hornet/Superhornet/Growler took off and headed northwards about ten minutes ago.
Bindi

Post by Bindi »

MungoMan wrote:Apropos of nothing very much as regards preceding bored discussion, I’m wondering if the RAAF is training / readying itself for something in the near future. A Globemaster has been carrying out repeated circuits, wheels up and wheels down, a Spartan passed to the west headed vaguely north and a Hornet/Superhornet/Growler took off and headed northwards about ten minutes ago.
Rumours 3 people were seen having a beer together. Appropriate response IMO.
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

Bindi wrote:
MungoMan wrote:Apropos of nothing very much as regards preceding bored discussion, I’m wondering if the RAAF is training / readying itself for something in the near future. A Globemaster has been carrying out repeated circuits, wheels up and wheels down, a Spartan passed to the west headed vaguely north and a Hornet/Superhornet/Growler took off and headed northwards about ten minutes ago.
Firm but fair
Shrekles

Post by Shrekles »

MungoMan wrote:
Bindi wrote:
Firm but fair
Airstrike today but ok tomorrow...
af73

Post by af73 »

Same thing in Scotland....

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/184 ... -lockdown/

Some folk tracked it on FlightRadar from its RAF base in England. Named as a training exercise fair enough....still flying over built up areas instead of usual uninhabited mountains though.
Taranaki Snapper

Pat the Ex Mat wrote:

Adelaide.
State of Mind Bro ;)
CovidSAFE? I found it easily enough...didn't download, though...
Maniototo Man

Post by Maniototo Man »

Probably looking for somewhere to land. You should have moved the Torana off the driveway.
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

Maniototo Man wrote:
Probably looking for somewhere to land. You should have moved the Torana off the driveway.
Yeah nah fuggem
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Taranaki Snapper wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:

Adelaide.
State of Mind Bro ;)
I reckon it might be down to my iCloud account location listed as NZ. I changed it when I moved home and now it looks like can’t change that on the phone.

Meh.

I’ll be Adelaide based for the next week and a half Snaps, then every second fortnight. I’m almost not completely exhausted already... shall we try and hook up a CovidCabal? Maybe brown paper bags at 3 paces in a local park or something?
Vuaka

Post by Vuaka »

Crazy Ed wrote:Yep a bit of work for them to do in next few weeks to fix this but I am confident there will be significant improvements which should keep the business open.
We have had to warn employees that if there is any delay in funding we simply can't put anymore debt against our overdrafts and they will either have to be made redundant or be paid monthly in arrears which we sense may be illegal so option 1 may have to apply.
Qantas however seems to have got a life line and made workers redundant?
I'm thinking unless they fix it only certain chosen businesses will come out the other side.
JobKeeper is f**ked. Last Friday, they changed the rules on employee eligibility, some 3 weeks after we had started paying employees who are now considered to be ineligible.

We don't expect to see any funds until the middle of May. Our payroll for the last month has been over a million and this was after we made over 150 employees redundant or terminated their casual employment.
Taranaki Snapper

guy smiley wrote:
Taranaki Snapper wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:

Adelaide.
State of Mind Bro ;)
I reckon it might be down to my iCloud account location listed as NZ. I changed it when I moved home and now it looks like can’t change that on the phone.

Meh.

I’ll be Adelaide based for the next week and a half Snaps, then every second fortnight. I’m almost not completely exhausted already... shall we try and hook up a CovidCabal? Maybe brown paper bags at 3 paces in a local park or something?
Sounds good, I suspect Marshall will loosen the tethers if we can keep it to zero new infections for another week or so...my club informs me that the local comp could resume/start in June, if all goes well...
Vuaka

Post by Vuaka »

Ali's Choice wrote:
Crazy Ed wrote:Yep a bit of work for them to do in next few weeks to fix this but I am confident there will be significant improvements which should keep the business open.
We have had to warn employees that if there is any delay in funding we simply can't put anymore debt against our overdrafts and they will either have to be made redundant or be paid monthly in arrears which we sense may be illegal so option 1 may have to apply.
I'm thinking unless they fix it only certain chosen businesses will come out the other side.
Yes, which may save the govt some money in the short term but will be politically and economically expensive for them in the long term. So far, rightly or wrongly most Australians have given the Federal govt a B+ or better for how they have handled this pandemic. But if Job Keeper falls in a heap because it was poorly designed the government will be slammed for over promising and under delivering.
If it saves the Government money, it won't be much because employees that would have received JobKeeper will just go onto JobSeeker. One of the reasons they ran this through businesses was to keep the queues away from CentreLink which can't cope with normal traffic at the best of times.

Plus the LNP would rather give money to businesses than to workers. Speaking to small businesses out there, with the cash flow implications of this, they would rather not apply for JobKeeper.
Vuaka

Post by Vuaka »

Do we trust this Government which has deliberately and vindictively released personal Centrelink information of its citizens to the media?

I don't.

The idea behind the app may be a good one but I'm not entirely convinced. You have to be in close contact with an infected person for 15 minutes? What happens if you pick it up from a contaminated hard surface?
wamberal99

Post by wamberal99 »

Vuaka wrote:The idea behind the app may be a good one but I'm not entirely convinced. You have to be in close contact with an infected person for 15 minutes? What happens if you pick it up from a contaminated hard surface?

Seriously? Does the contaminated hard surface possess a smartphone, with the app downloaded?
kiwinoz

Post by kiwinoz »

Some people are calling on her to resign because she tweeted this. I think its silly but I am outraged that she has no fucking clue about decimation.

Sensible Stephen

Post by Sensible Stephen »

kiwinoz wrote:Some people are calling on her to resign because she tweeted this. I think its silly but I am outraged that she has no fucking clue about decimation.

Don't think she should lose her job, but seriously, silly to get political when you have her job.
Farva

Post by Farva »

Vuaka wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
Yes, which may save the govt some money in the short term but will be politically and economically expensive for them in the long term. So far, rightly or wrongly most Australians have given the Federal govt a B+ or better for how they have handled this pandemic. But if Job Keeper falls in a heap because it was poorly designed the government will be slammed for over promising and under delivering.
If it saves the Government money, it won't be much because employees that would have received JobKeeper will just go onto JobSeeker. One of the reasons they ran this through businesses was to keep the queues away from CentreLink which can't cope with normal traffic at the best of times.

Plus the LNP would rather give money to businesses than to workers. Speaking to small businesses out there, with the cash flow implications of this, they would rather not apply for JobKeeper.
The main reason it was run through the businesses was so that the businesses were still there and still have the employees on their books at the end so that they could quickly reopen. If they had to sack the employees and then rehire there would be issues with redundancy payouts that might send the businesses under, and also would cause labour law issues when looking to rehire when they need to reopen.