Clive Palmer
15%
George Smith
15%

Total votes: 20

Taranaki Snapper

Re: The Australian Politics Thread

Post by Taranaki Snapper »

Hey Sensei, speaking of your proximity to the late, lamented King's head, do you ever eat at Nishiki, and if so were you there one Friday mid-October last year when a middle-aged Gaijin was practising his Japanese with the owner and discussing RWC travel plans with the other Rugby fans present?
kiap

Post by kiap »

I believe Sensible is more into talkin' Korean, Snaps?
Sensible Stephen

Post by Sensible Stephen »

Taranaki Snapper wrote:Hey Sensei, speaking of your proximity to the late, lamented King's head, do you ever eat at Nishiki, and if so were you there one Friday mid-October last year when a middle-aged Gaijin was practising his Japanese with the owner and discussing RWC travel plans with the other Rugby fans present?
I've only been there once, so wouldn't have been me.

Like Kiap implies, I normally hit the Korean restaurants, usually out Payneham way.
grievous

Post by grievous »

You go drinking in Payneham?
The Maylands is a fine establishment.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Any NSW based posters able to comment on the political mood 'on the ground' in Eden Manaro? Surely if the bushfire relief program has been as flawed as some media sources make out, than the Coalition might struggle in this seat, regardless of high profile Barilaro and Constance might be? A three cornered contest might also be an issue, although you'd think that one of Constance or Barilaro will step away.
Crazy Ed

Post by Crazy Ed »

Let's wait and see what the voters decide Ali.
I personally think you have a bit to much of an obsession with either the left or right wing media in that you love posting one and being hyper critical of the other.
I understand that because even if I am on the other end of the spectrum to you I also hate how the media is able to influence the swinging vote on minor or irrelevant issues.
My only advice if that if you live in any area that is voting please try and see through the media's tricks and propaganda on both sides and try to decide what is important to you and your values.
Taranaki Snapper

kiap wrote:I believe Sensible is more into talkin' Korean, Snaps?
No doubt, but I was speaking to the Japanese owner and English to the other lads, who may have been Korean...
Taranaki Snapper

Sensible Stephen wrote:
Taranaki Snapper wrote:Hey Sensei, speaking of your proximity to the late, lamented King's head, do you ever eat at Nishiki, and if so were you there one Friday mid-October last year when a middle-aged Gaijin was practising his Japanese with the owner and discussing RWC travel plans with the other Rugby fans present?
I've only been there once, so wouldn't have been me.

Like Kiap implies, I normally hit the Korean restaurants, usually out Payneham way.
My Korean restaurant experiences here have mainly been in the CBD and Magill/St. Morris...Payneham is certainly close to my neighbourhood...yet to visit the Maylands...
6.Jones

Post by 6.Jones »

kiwinoz wrote:Some people are calling on her to resign because she tweeted this. I think its silly but I am outraged that she has no fucking clue about decimation.
You think? The massacres ended ~1920 with ~60k remaining. A minimum of 40k of those were killed outright, so she's in the right ballpark. Disease did for the rest.
6.Jones

Post by 6.Jones »

Vuaka wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:So who is going to download the govt's new COVIDsafe app?

For those not based in Australia, the Federal govt has released an app which will track our movement through our mobile phones and help automate the contract tracing process. Not brilliant for personal privacy, and this government has a terrible track record for managing private data confidentially, but could help with contact tracing and containing the virus.

Thoughts Aussie boredies?
Do we trust this Government which has deliberately and vindictively released personal Centrelink information of its citizens to the media?

I don't.

The idea behind the app may be a good one but I'm not entirely convinced. You have to be in close contact with an infected person for 15 minutes? What happens if you pick it up from a contaminated hard surface?
You only have to be in close contact with an infected person for a few seconds to get the disease. All it takes is one virus, in one exhaled water droplet of aerosol. You can be walking behind them on the street.
The Optimist

Post by The Optimist »

Solar is already the world's fastest growing energy technology. Ten years ago, there were only 20 gigawatts of installed solar capacity globally - one gigawatt being roughly the output of a single large power station.

Despite our abundance of sunlight in Oz, our talking arse-hats are busy subsidising the fossil fuel industry with tax payer money, enriching a very few rich Australians who are in turn bought and paid off China stooges.

Wake the fvck up!!!

C'mon Reds!!!
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

So back onto the Eden Manaro bye election, ALP Leader Anthony Albanese has publicly backed the Bega mayor Kristy McBain as his preferred candidate, although there will be a formal pre-selection process by the local branch. Anyone know anything about McBain, apart from the fact that she has a cool surname?

wamberal99

Post by wamberal99 »

Ali's Choice wrote:A three cornered contest might also be an issue, although you'd think that one of Constance or Barilaro will step away.

Having two tory candidates is not a disadvantage under a preferential voting system. Mike Kelly was a wonderfully qualified member for the seat, a lot of current and former service families live there. The likeliest ALP candidate will not have that singular advantage.

The tory candidates have not been confirmed yet, AFAIK. The Greens vote and preference flow will be crucial, I reckon.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

wamberal99 wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:A three cornered contest might also be an issue, although you'd think that one of Constance or Barilaro will step away.

Having two tory candidates is not a disadvantage under a preferential voting system. Mike Kelly was a wonderfully qualified member for the seat, a lot of current and former service families live there. The likeliest ALP candidate will not have that singular advantage.

The tory candidates have not been confirmed yet, AFAIK. The Greens vote and preference flow will be crucial, I reckon.
Yes, none of the candidates have been confirmed yet, but it appears as if one of Barilaro or Constance will run, if not both. How popular would these two be in a Federal poll? In many ways the Federal Govt have a huge advantage in this bye election given we are in the grips of a global pandemic. I wouldn't be surprised, or too worried, if the ALP lose this very marginal seat.
wamberal99

Post by wamberal99 »

It would be the first time in a century, apparently, if it happens. It would be a blow, no doubt about it, especially given the impact of the fires on the electorate.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

wamberal99 wrote:It would be the first time in a century, apparently, if it happens. It would be a blow, no doubt about it, especially given the impact of the fires on the electorate.
First global flu pandemic in a century too. Sky News has already declared the result as a big win for the Coalition but I guess we will have to see what eventuates.
Vuaka

Post by Vuaka »

Ali's Choice wrote:
wamberal99 wrote:

Yes, none of the candidates have been confirmed yet, but it appears as if one of Barilaro or Constance will run, if not both. How popular would these two be in a Federal poll? In many ways the Federal Govt have a huge advantage in this bye election given we are in the grips of a global pandemic. I wouldn't be surprised, or too worried, if the ALP lose this very marginal seat.
Constance seems to have gained a lot of sympathy at a local level as a result of the bushfires. In his media interviews, he came across less as a politician and more of a human. I thought his stepping away from State politics was due to the emotional and physical toil of the bushfires so I'm surprised that he has put his hand up for the Federal gig.
Vuaka

Post by Vuaka »

6.Jones wrote:
Vuaka wrote:

For those not based in Australia, the Federal govt has released an app which will track our movement through our mobile phones and help automate the contract tracing process. Not brilliant for personal privacy, and this government has a terrible track record for managing private data confidentially, but could help with contact tracing and containing the virus.

Do we trust this Government which has deliberately and vindictively released personal Centrelink information of its citizens to the media?

I don't.

The idea behind the app may be a good one but I'm not entirely convinced. You have to be in close contact with an infected person for 15 minutes? What happens if you pick it up from a contaminated hard surface?
You only have to be in close contact with an infected person for a few seconds to get the disease. All it takes is one virus, in one exhaled water droplet of aerosol. You can be walking behind them on the street.
Yes, I get that. But my understanding of the app was that it would only register if you remained within Bluetooth distance of the infected person for 15 minutes?

Anyway, I will download it this weekend. Waiting for the source code to be released so the experts can comment on it.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Dutton forgets to include property asset in declaration of interests to parliament.

*sigh*
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

guy smiley wrote:Dutton forgets to include property asset in declaration of interests to parliament.

*sigh*
3rd time now?
wamberal99

Post by wamberal99 »

guy smiley wrote:Dutton forgets to include property asset in declaration of interests to parliament.

*sigh*
Well, he is so busy protecting us from all those dangerous foreigners who keep trying to seek asylum here. Not the ones who come by plane (or used to). They're okay.

It's the desperate ones who risk their lives on little boats, the bastards.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

wamberal99 wrote:

*sigh*
Well, he is so busy protecting us from all those dangerous foreigners who keep trying to seek asylum here. Not the ones who come by plane (or used to). They're okay.

It's the desperate ones who risk their lives on little boats, the bastards.
It goes to show that we get the politicians we deserve....
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

There has been a massive escalation in the war of words this morning between the Federal Govt and Victorian State govt. Federal Education Minister Dan Teehan said on Insiders that Dan Andrews' failure to re-open schools this term was a "clear failure of leadership".

An hour later it was announced that a teacher in Victoria had tested positive to COVID-19 and the school will be closed for several days for intensive cleaning and sanitising. Students and staff at the school are being tested to see if it has been spread.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/vict ... 54pa9.html
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Ali's Choice wrote:There has been a massive escalation in the war of words this morning between the Federal Govt and Victorian State govt. Federal Education Minister Dan Teehan said on Insiders that Dan Andrews' failure to re-open schools this term was a "clear failure of leadership".

An hour later it was announced that a teacher in Victoria had tested positive to COVID-19 and the school will be closed for several days for intensive cleaning and sanitising. Students and staff at the school are being tested to see if it has been spread.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/vict ... 54pa9.html
One person listening to experts...
Slim 293

Post by Slim 293 »

From Nine...
Federal Education Minister Dan Tehan has withdrawn his attack on Daniel Andrews and admitted his frustrations led him to 'overstep the mark'.
:lol:
Slim 293

Post by Slim 293 »

:lol:
Dan Tehan tried to pressure Victoria to reopen schools, but he went from raging bull to mewling kitten
https://www.theguardian.com/world/comme ... ing-kitten
wamberal99

Post by wamberal99 »

Slim 293 wrote::lol:
Dan Tehan tried to pressure Victoria to reopen schools, but he went from raging bull to mewling kitten

The best journalist in the history of the World.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

:lol: :lol:

The desperation from the Feds to land a blow on a state govt :lol:
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

guy smiley wrote:
:lol: :lol:

The desperation from the Feds to land a blow on a state govt :lol:
The realisation that they only control the money hose and nothing else
wamberal99

Post by wamberal99 »

Ali's Choice wrote: Yes, none of the candidates have been confirmed yet, but it appears as if one of Barilaro or Constance will run, if not both. How popular would these two be in a Federal poll? In many ways the Federal Govt have a huge advantage in this bye election given we are in the grips of a global pandemic. I wouldn't be surprised, or too worried, if the ALP lose this very marginal seat.

An article in today's SMH reminds us that there is no way that Gladys B. would be able to tolerate two bye-elections. She would probably fight tooth and nail to avoid even one.

This just adds another layer of uncertainty. I am beginning to think (hope?) that the ALP can pull it off.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

wamberal99 wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote: Yes, none of the candidates have been confirmed yet, but it appears as if one of Barilaro or Constance will run, if not both. How popular would these two be in a Federal poll? In many ways the Federal Govt have a huge advantage in this bye election given we are in the grips of a global pandemic. I wouldn't be surprised, or too worried, if the ALP lose this very marginal seat.

An article in today's SMH reminds us that there is no way that Gladys B. would be able to tolerate two bye-elections. She would probably fight tooth and nail to avoid even one.

This just adds another layer of uncertainty. I am beginning to think (hope?) that the ALP can pull it off.
Barilaro has piked - looks like he realised he couldn't win
6.Jones

Post by 6.Jones »

Vuaka wrote:
6.Jones wrote:
Vuaka wrote:

I don't.

Yes, I get that. But my understanding of the app was that it would only register if you remained within Bluetooth distance of the infected person for 15 minutes?

Anyway, I will download it this weekend. Waiting for the source code to be released so the experts can comment on it.
:thumbup: It isn't very private, but it will do the job. Although not yet, apparently.
if a person tests positive to coronavirus today, the information on their app will not be passed on to contact tracers, because states and territories are still working out how the system will operate
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-02/ ... l/12208924

Piss up. Organize. Brewery. Etc.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

That's what you get for using the Big Blue
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Interesting article in today's SMH by Ross Gittins.
First the Australian economy needs CPR. We’ll worry about reform later
Ross Gittins
Economics Editor
May 4, 2020 — 12.15am

I can’t take seriously all those people saying we mustn’t waste a crisis, but seize this great opportunity to introduce sweeping economic reform. It’s like telling a baby who hasn’t yet learnt to walk it should start training for the Olympics.

It’s true, of course, that we won’t get back to economic life as we used to know it – that is, knew it before the global financial crisis, more than a decade ago – until we get back to reasonably strong annual improvement in the productivity of labour.

More than a quarter of a million Australians have applied for welfare.
More than a quarter of a million Australians have applied for welfare. CREDIT:JAMES GOURLAY

But the plain fact is, you’ve got to have a functioning economy before you can worry about how fast its productivity is improving. So there’ll be a time to debate which policies would or wouldn't do most to enhance productivity, but we have more pressing matters to attend to.

Some in the don’t-waste-the-crisis party can be forgiven because they’re under 50 and have no memory of what happens in recessions. But as my colleague Shane Wright has said, most of them are "the usual suspects, falling back on their usual agendas".

They have no genuine concern about the economy’s present life-threatened state, but are business people engaged in rent-seeking, or economists running off faith in their economic model, whether or not it’s supported by empirical evidence their theory actually works.

These urgers have forgotten that micro-economic reform seeks to increase economic growth by making the supply (production) side of the economy work more efficiently. It delivers results only over the medium to long term. It’s thus no substitute for macro-economic management, which deals with managing the demand side of the economy in the short term.

Right now, the prospect of a 10 per cent unemployment rate tells us we have more supply than we’re able to use. Clearly, our problem’s that demand is insufficient. The improvement in economic efficiency we assume we could gain by, say, taxing land rather than the transfer of it, is minor compared with the monumental inefficiency we know for certain is occurring because 10 per cent of our workers can’t find work.

The huge government spending so far has merely limited the extent of the economy’s fall. Should Scott Morrison soon start winding it back we could fall even further.

Right now, we don’t even have an economy that’s functioning, much less functioning well. Much of it’s closed - locked up by government decree. We’re starting to ease the lockdown, but we won’t be opening our borders for another year or two.

When we do have most of the lockdown removed, what will we see? The economy won’t snap back. Not even bounce back in any significant way. True, once businesses are allowed to reopen they’ll be making some sales rather than next to none. But with so many households unemployed, sales won’t go back to anything like where they were.

Most households and businesses will be in cost-cutting mode. Firms have been incurring overheads while earning little. Even those households still working will be worried about their big mortgages and fearful of losing their own jobs. As Treasury secretary Dr Steven Kennedy has warned, “some jobs and businesses will have been lost permanently”.

Most firms and households will be getting back to some semblance of normality, but few will be doing much that causes the economy to grow in any positive sense. As Reserve Bank governor Dr Philip Lowe has said, firms and households are suffering from a "high level of uncertainty about the future" and will engage in "precautionary behaviour". They’ll be saving not spending.

Sound like a bounce-back, or an economy still in the intensive care unit? Ask yourself this: which are the forces that will propel the economy forward? It won’t be the main factor we’ve relied on in recent years – high immigration. Our population’s now falling, as people on temporary visas are sent home and not replaced. (Not that population growth does anything much to lift income per person.)

It won’t be “external stimulus” because the rest of the world is growing faster than us (it isn’t), or a lower dollar is making our exports cheaper to foreigners because we’ll continue banning foreign tourists and overseas students. Export commodity prices aren’t rising.

It won’t be growth in real wages (employers will compulsively demand a wage freeze) nor a "wealth effect" from rising house prices prompting households to cut their rate of saving. And a key missing piece: it won’t be big cuts in interest rates to encourage borrowing and spending.

That leaves only "fiscal stimulus" – the budget. The huge government spending so far has merely limited the extent of the economy’s fall. Should Scott Morrison soon start winding it back as he says he plans to, we could fall even further.

No, if we're to actually recover what will come next is a lot more government spending, particularly on useful projects. It can only be a government-led recovery.

Ross Gittins is the Herald’s economics editor.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Good read. Gittins always presents a decent argument.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

guy smiley wrote:Good read. Gittins always presents a decent argument.
Yes, he's good. He's not close to being an ideological leftie, but he's also averse to the right wing economic orthodoxies of trickle down economics, small government and slashing workers rightswages in the name of increased 'flexibility' and calling it IR reform.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

David Sharma on Q&A basically said the reason the Coalition won't listen to the scientists on Global Warming is that it would take 3 or 4 Covid events to reach the Paris agreement levels............

:shock: :shock:

There you have it, they have no intention of doing anything - it will be coal mines the entire way :uhoh:
Salient

Post by Salient »

Corvid-19 breakout in Victoria school and NSW school, good call SlowMo :roll:
6.Jones

Post by 6.Jones »

Pat the Ex Mat wrote:David Sharma on Q&A basically said the reason the Coalition won't listen to the scientists on Global Warming is that it would take 3 or 4 Covid events to reach the Paris agreement levels............

:shock: :shock:

There you have it, they have no intention of doing anything - it will be coal mines the entire way :uhoh:
Except it's not even true. We're already over $10t globally on COVID-19.

"Fighting Climate Change Comes With $2.5 Trillion Price Tag"
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... -price-tag
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Of course it's not true.

I was very disappointed in Hamish there - didn't call him on it at all