Chat Forum
It is currently Sat May 30, 2020 10:08 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24978 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 621, 622, 623, 624, 625

Whos Going to Lead the Labor Rabble
Albo 38%  38%  [ 5 ]
Plibbers 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
Bowen 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
Chalmers 23%  23%  [ 3 ]
Uncle Tony 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
Clive Palmer 15%  15%  [ 2 ]
George Smith 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 13
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 7:15 am 

Sensible Stephen wrote:
6.Jones wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:

Not sure about when he got his but nowadays, Masters are mostly coursework.

They are just spivs who wouldn't know how to work hard. Very disappointing

Indeed they are [coursework]. I had the pleasure of teaching said spivs for a while.

Rubbish. I have a masters and like fudge it was mainly coursework.

I was speaking only for Oxbridge [the source of Frankenstein's first masters degree]. Research degrees begin with the DPhil, or they did when I was there. It seems everyone here went to a different school with a different nomenclature. I suspect I'm the oldest of these debaters.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 9:47 am 

Is anyone else nervous about the govt planning to now not spend that 60b that they over estimated?

We are about to hit potentially the worst recession in living memory (anyone alive in 1930 would have Alzheimer’s now). We had put forward a rescue package of around 10% of GDP (which isn’t massive) and are now threatening to pull it back to just 5%. Realistically I think they will need to spend another 200b next year just to take the edge off.

60b will have a servicing cost of 600m a year at 1% borrowing costs. That is 0.1% of government receipts and the impact on the economy will generate far more than that.

This whole treat the budget like a household budget that the Coalition are running for political reasons is dangerous. I had thought they had reacted well to Covid from a leadership position, health position and financially. If they are going to let politics and populism dictate the response then that assessment will change. The threat of it alone is dangerous. And they know all of this.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 11:23 am 

I'm not confident they have the wherewithal to handle it

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 4:32 am 

Comrades, looks like the Whitlam letters will be released. Good times.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 4:36 am 

They will be interesting.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 4:45 am 

UncleFB wrote:
Sensible Stephen wrote:
6.Jones wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:

Indeed they are [coursework]. I had the pleasure of teaching said spivs for a while.

When did you do your Masters? I suspect it was quite a few years ago.

I did a 'proper' Masters in NZ years ago, I wish I'd just waited and popped out one of the fairly easy Oz ones when I arrived here. (I work in the sector, just to preempt any accusations of me not knowing what I'm talking about :D ).

More than 5 years ago. I have a master of some discipline, but its was research + 4 courses. 75% research to 25% course work I would guess. Some disciplines offered both masters by research and coursework, and masters by coursework. I don't know anyone who did just the coursework masters though. Frowned upon. Might be different in NSW?

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 6:24 am 

Sensible Stephen wrote:
I don't know anyone who did just the coursework masters though. Frowned upon. Might be different in NSW?

I know several who did. Do you Frown on them? :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 6:31 am 

Sensible Stephen wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
Sensible Stephen wrote:
6.Jones wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:

When did you do your Masters? I suspect it was quite a few years ago.

I did a 'proper' Masters in NZ years ago, I wish I'd just waited and popped out one of the fairly easy Oz ones when I arrived here. (I work in the sector, just to preempt any accusations of me not knowing what I'm talking about :D ).

More than 5 years ago. I have a master of some discipline, but its was research + 4 courses. 75% research to 25% course work I would guess. Some disciplines offered both masters by research and coursework, and masters by coursework. I don't know anyone who did just the coursework masters though. Frowned upon. Might be different in NSW?

I don't think state by state makes any difference, it all comes down to what's allowable by the AQF and what TEQSA or the self accrediting Uni's approve. In some cases (maybe technical degrees) it may make sense to do all coursework.

My only annoyance is the length of time it takes to do a Masters here. I know a guy who has nearly 20 Masters, all from reputable Australian Unis (he also has two PhDs).

My Masters was the same breakdown as yours.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 6:48 am 

Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
Sensible Stephen wrote:
I don't know anyone who did just the coursework masters though. Frowned upon. Might be different in NSW?

By the lecturers. Actively discouraged people from doing them.

I don't give a rats arse about someone elses educational choices, why would I. :?

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 7:22 am 

If you guys are interested in stepping aside from your academic one upping for a sec, you may be interested to know the Federal govt has announced it is scrapping Robodebt and refunding all funds gathered by the scheme.

Like, wowsers. That’s been a cluster and a half.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 7:37 am 

guy smiley wrote:
If you guys are interested in stepping aside from your academic one upping for a sec, you may be interested to know the Federal govt has announced it is scrapping Robodebt and refunding all funds gathered by the scheme.

Yes, nearly $800 million to be repaid to some of Australia's poorest and most vulnerable people. How many relationship breakdowns, suicides and addictions started as a result of this illegal scheme?

Also, COAG has been terminated for monthly 'National Cabinet' meetings.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 8:18 am 

Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
Sensible Stephen wrote:

Those of us who completed a masters by thesis don’t frown - sneer with contempt maybe, but never frowning.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 8:28 am 

Redsfan wrote:

:thumbup: Glad you're still with us, comrade.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 8:40 am 

Shrekles wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
Sensible Stephen wrote:

Those of us who completed a masters by thesis don’t frown - sneer with contempt maybe, but never frowning.

I don't even have a degree :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 8:42 am 

Ali's Choice wrote:
guy smiley wrote:

Yes, nearly $800 million to be repaid to some of Australia's poorest and most vulnerable people. How many relationship breakdowns, suicides and addictions started as a result of this illegal scheme?

Also, COAG has been terminated for monthly 'National Cabinet' meetings.

The class action will still run. I think damages will be easily and obtained.

Not really what the families of those who took their own lives are after though, I'd imagine.. :((

All of this could have been avoided if they had stopped it when problems were first pointed out

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 11:04 am 

Bindi wrote:
Redsfan wrote:

:thumbup: Glad you're still with us, comrade.

And I am, in equal proportions, surprised and gratified.

I had feared Redsfan may have hurled himself from a lofty prominence consequent to the Reds’ performances of the last few seasons.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 3:57 pm 

guy smiley wrote:

the class action will proceed and how much did these dicks spend on legally defending the indefensible?

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 11:37 pm 

Interesting to scan The Australian online this morning. Not a single mention of the government's $800 million Robodebt farce, but multiples stories demanding Industrial Relations 'reform' and a lengthy Op-ed article demanding wage freezes for the public sector. It's almost like the News Ltd press were pushing a conservative agenda?

Do conservatives forget that our economic woes prior to COVID were largely a result of stagnat wage growth putting pressure on demand?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24978 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 621, 622, 623, 624, 625