Clive Palmer
13%
George Smith
13%

Total votes: 24

Pat the Ex Mat

Re: The Australian Politics Thread

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Piss-weak from the LNP....let's hope the good Gentlefolk of Eden-Monaro treat them with the disdain they deserve:
The federal government will keep secret its revamped plan for the $70 billion JobKeeper package before the key Eden-Monaro byelection, as it prepares to make substantial changes to the wage subsidy scheme.

The $1500-a-fortnight wage subsidy is due to finish in September, but the government will reveal a new plan on July 23 for the scheme that has helped keep about 3 million people in work.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal ... 556z1.html

:|
wamberal

Post by wamberal »

Meanwhile, with these revelations of branch stacking and Chinese influence, I regret to say that I am resigned to not seeing a Federal Labor Government again in my lifetime.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

wamberal wrote:Meanwhile, with these revelations of branch stacking and Chinese influence, I regret to say that I am resigned to not seeing a Federal Labor Government again in my lifetime.
I think that's a bit dramatic wamberal. The unwavering support of News Ltd and Nine media for the Coalition will have a much bigger impact on the ALP's electoral chances that state level branch stacking.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Ali's Choice wrote:
wamberal wrote:Meanwhile, with these revelations of branch stacking and Chinese influence, I regret to say that I am resigned to not seeing a Federal Labor Government again in my lifetime.
I think that's a bit dramatic wamberal. The unwavering support of News Ltd and Nine media for the Coalition will have a much bigger impact on the ALP's electoral chances that state level branch stacking.
Oh for an impartial media...
wamberal

Post by wamberal »

Ali's Choice wrote: I think that's a bit dramatic wamberal. The unwavering support of News Ltd and Nine media for the Coalition will have a much bigger impact on the ALP's electoral chances that state level branch stacking.
Or realistic. I was born in 1942, and at a rough count the ALP has formed a Government for 21 years of my life. That is a success ration of about 27%.

Newscorpse is not going anywhere. As for Nein Media, they own the Sydney Morning Herald and the Age, both sympathetic to left/liberal causes. That could change, of course. Of course the old fashioned print media don't have much of a future, I guess.
Last edited by wamberal on Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

It’s time...

https://thebrag.com/from-the-frontlines ... cist-dogs/
What started off as an honest and fun way to take racist individuals down a peg has grown into nothing short of a way of life. Yelling At Racist Dogs – or YARD, if you will – has outgrown the confines of a Facebook page and become a movement, one that might be rough around the edges in a self-stylised kind of way, but one that reflects an integrity – and humour – that most Australians resonate with.

The movement that started in the streets of Melbourne has now been invited to partake in Fringe festival, testament to the growing intrigue as more and more people spot the stickers strewn throughout town and think…’WTF is YARDing?’
YARDing... Yelling At Racist Dogs. We can all play a part :thumbup:
Sensible Stephen

Post by Sensible Stephen »

guy smiley wrote:It’s time...

https://thebrag.com/from-the-frontlines ... cist-dogs/
What started off as an honest and fun way to take racist individuals down a peg has grown into nothing short of a way of life. Yelling At Racist Dogs – or YARD, if you will – has outgrown the confines of a Facebook page and become a movement, one that might be rough around the edges in a self-stylised kind of way, but one that reflects an integrity – and humour – that most Australians resonate with.

The movement that started in the streets of Melbourne has now been invited to partake in Fringe festival, testament to the growing intrigue as more and more people spot the stickers strewn throughout town and think…’WTF is YARDing?’
YARDing... Yelling At Racist Dogs. We can all play a part :thumbup:
An Adelaide YARDie called me and said, “Uh, Lauren Southern’s in front of me.” So we agreed it’d be best for her to go up and start by faux-politely saying to Lauren, “Why are you such a racist dog?” We know these grifters and their debate-school tricks like the back of our hands, so we knew Lauren would go straight to the “Where’s your evidence?” retort, which she did.

The plan was that she’d grow exasperated with Lauren’s bad-faith question dodging, and eventually just start yelling at her that she’s a racist dog. Because it’s weird to just immediately approach someone and start yelling, right? It’s odd. You have to wind up to it.

That’s exactly what the Adelaide YARDie did
Wat?

So the moral is, don't worry about evidence, just start yelling racist?

Sound like a bunch of tools to be honest.
Taranaki Snapper

Post by Taranaki Snapper »

It seems as though Attorney-General Christian Porter will be successful in maintaining his cover-up of the Howard government's crime of bugging the cabinet room of Timor-Leste in 2004 to benefit political donor Woodside, with an ACT magistrate granting Porter's application that parts of the prosecution of Bernard Collaery be held behind closed doors for national security reasons.

That also means that, in a Kafkaesque absurdity, Porter will be allowed to use documents against Collaery that Collaery and his legal term are prohibited from seeing.
https://www.crikey.com.au/2020/06/29/po ... o-its-job/
(it's a paywall, but Crikey subscriptions are half-price right now!)
Farva

Post by Farva »

Reports today that Cormann is about to quit, calling Scotty from Marketing a plum.
Finance Minister Mathias Cormann, the man who revived Arnold Schwarzenegger’s “economic girly man’’ insult in the Australian political lexicon and privately called Scott Morrison “narcissistic” is set to quit politics sparking a cabinet reshuffle.

Australia’s longest serving Finance Minister has denied growing speculation he will quit politics for months, but has responded with notable silence to three reports in the last month that he plans to resign.

But his departure also is set to remind voters of the ongoing leadership fallout within the Coalition over the ascension of Prime Minister Scott Morrison and his increasing popularity, dominance and control of the government in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Last month, there was even speculation that he might return to Europe in a diplomatic posting for the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development.

But the Belgian-born Liberal senator told friends he is more attracted to making some money in the corporate sector.

RELATED: Visa deal after China’s brutal crackdown

RELATED: Casuals accused of ‘biggest piss take’

Cormann reportedly called the PM “a control freak” who spent too much time briefing the media of the government’s plans. Picture: AAP Image/Lukas Coch
Cormann reportedly called the PM “a control freak” who spent too much time briefing the media of the government’s plans. Picture: AAP Image/Lukas CochSource:AAP

Much-loved in some quarters of the Coalition for his calm and steady disposition and work ethic, he has come under sustained attack from former Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull as “weak and treacherous” over his role in the coup that elevated Scott Morrison.

Mr Turnbull’s memoir, A Bigger Picture, also revealed he privately criticised Mr Morrison as “a control freak” who spent too much time briefing the media of the government’s plans.

“Mathias regarded Scott as emotional, narcissistic and untrustworthy and told me so regularly,” Mr Turnbull wrote.

“Of course, if Mathias had a poor opinion of Scott, (Peter) Dutton’s dislike of him was even stronger,” he says.

According to his book, Mr Turnbull and Senator Cormann were at times “at our wits’ end as to how to manage Scott” and that the Finance Minister said the government had “a treasurer problem”.

In one exchange of messages between the pair, he wrote that Senator Cormann replied: “[Morrison] operates completely differently from us. We prefer to stay absolutely resolute on course until we decide to change. He wants to flag possible changes way in advance (why?) which reduces optionality and makes us look undecided. I can’t work it out because it’s so counter productive.”

RELATED: 500,000 Aussies wipe out super funds

Senator Cormann played a central role in the leadership coup that destroyed Mr Turnbull’s prime ministership, switching his allegiance to Peter Dutton.

His decision to pull his support – along with fellow senators Michaelia Cash and Mitch Fifield – was regarded as critical but his own candidate Peter Dutton lost out to Mr Morrison.

In the hours after the leadership coup, Senator Cormann texted Mr Turnbull to apologise for what had happened and deny being part of an “insurgency”.

“I genuinely backed you until events developed, sadly, which in my judgment made our position irretrievable,” he wrote.

“All this has been very painful – yes, I know, first and foremost for you, and for that I am very sorry.”

But Mr Turnbull replied that Senator Cormann should be “ashamed”.

“At a time when strength and loyalty were called for, you were weak and treacherous. You should be ashamed of yourself,” he wrote.

Famously, Senator Cormann also made headlines after he took to the stage with German performer Nena, for a rendition of the pop song 99 Luftballoons at the Asia-Pacific Regional Conference.

RELATED: Call to kick protesters off JobSeeker

.@MathiasCormann - Minister for Cool. #Nena #auspol pic.twitter.com/Kc9xTar4RT

— David Speers (@David_Speers) November 4, 2017
He also compared the former Labor leader Bill Shorten to jelly.

“Will Bill Shorten step up to the plate on budget repair in this Parliament, or will he continue to be like a jelly on that plate?” he said.

“Wibble wobble, wibble wobble jelly on a plate. First opposing, then supporting then not knowing what to do.”

After the election, Senator Cormann has been dogged by speculation that he was no longer in Mr Morrison’s inner circle, despite his senior role as Senate leader and Finance Minister.

Senator Cormann repeatedly denied he planned to quit politics in the lead up to the last election.

“I’m absolutely in it for the long haul,” he said.

But he has failed to deny recent reports in The Age, The Daily Telegraph and today in The Australian Financial Review that he plans to resign sparking a cabinet reshuffle.

Trade Minister Simon Birmingham, the deputy Senate leader, is tipped to take on the position of Senate leader and potentially the finance portfolio.

There’s also speculation that Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton could be moved from the Home Affairs portfolio to Defence, a senior portfolio that is nonetheless regarded as something of a poisoned chalice as it is frequently the last stop before MPs depart the ministry and politics.
https://www.news.com.au/finance/work/le ... 0358680f1d
Sensible Stephen

Farva wrote:Reports today that Cormann is about to quit, calling Scotty from Marketing a plum.

Stupid reason in the end, but glad hes going. One less Duttonite.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

The Eden Monaro by-election will be very interesting tonight.

Does anyone else think that the ALP candidate Kristy McBain is kind of hot?

Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

108 new cases of COVID-19 in Victoria overnight. Two new postcodes being locked down.

Nine of the huge public housing towers have been fully locked down. Residents are unable to leave their buildings for any reason - and will be fed in their apartments by Vic Health. That's a China style lockdown. The meth dealers in and around these public housing towers will be unhappy.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Boozing to the Eden Monaro by-election coverage on Sky News. This will be pretty close.

Btw Peta Credlin is a right wing harridan-mole and Barilaro reminds me of a sleazy used car salesman.
Farva

Post by Farva »

I’m 6 houses south of being in lockdown!
kiap

Post by kiap »

Stay safe, boet.
Slim 293

Post by Slim 293 »

Farva wrote:I’m 6 houses south of being in lockdown!
Where are you living?

I'm one street over from being in WeFo.

Someone put a few of these up around Barkly St...

MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

Slim 293 wrote:
Where are you living?

:lol: :lol:
The Optimist

Post by The Optimist »

Fvuk China CCP!!!

I like the Chinese People, but the CCP can all go and contract the virus. Fvck you Q Uni!
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

One of my brothers is in Flemmington and he is one of the two additional postcodes that was locked down last night. He's been working from home since March anyway so it's no big deal in that sense, but still not comforting to be in COVID-19 lockdown.

Do people think there will be a wider scale lockdown of Melbourne in the days/weeks to come? Surely 100+ new infections per day is not sustainable?
Brumby_in_Vic

Post by Brumby_in_Vic »

108 cases in the People’s Republic of Victoria announced yesterday with flaunting hotel quarantine, family clusters, large numbers refusing testing, poor people locked up in a tower block with a Police cordon at the front entrance and people trying to change their licence addresses with Vic Roads to avoid suburban lockdowns. Disgusting.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Brumby_in_Vic wrote:108 cases in the People’s Republic of Victoria announced yesterday with flaunting hotel quarantine, family clusters, large numbers refusing testing, poor people locked up in a tower block with a Police cordon at the front entrance and people trying to change their licence addresses with Vic Roads to avoid suburban lockdowns. Disgusting.
And yet still only 104 deaths nationally. How's the plague going in Ireland?
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Massive media pile on for the ALP despite winning the Eden Monaro by election. Given Morrison's popularity and the nature of this campaign due to COVID-19 I think this is a good outcome for the ALP. Things are only going to get worse for the Coalition as the JobKeeper and JobSeeker subsidies are withdrawn.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Ali's Choice wrote:Massive media pile on for the ALP despite winning the Eden Monaro by election. Given Morrison's popularity and the nature of this campaign due to COVID-19 I think this is a good outcome for the ALP. Things are only going to get worse for the Coalition as the JobKeeper and JobSeeker subsidies are withdrawn.
I get really annoyed at the Media when this happens.

Polls are taken from Landline owners only

It's completely skewed to older, more conservative voters and is obvious, yet the media never mention it

It's definitely swung elections in the past to the LNP
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:Massive media pile on for the ALP despite winning the Eden Monaro by election. Given Morrison's popularity and the nature of this campaign due to COVID-19 I think this is a good outcome for the ALP. Things are only going to get worse for the Coalition as the JobKeeper and JobSeeker subsidies are withdrawn.
I get really annoyed at the Media when this happens.

Polls are taken from Landline owners only

It's completely skewed to older, more conservative voters and is obvious, yet the media never mention it

It's definitely swung elections in the past to the LNP
Yup, I've never been polled.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

It's clearly an issue
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

No partisanship or bias in the Sunday Telegraph today. Still, it's pretty smart and efficient being able to use the same headlines regardless of the result.

Last edited by Ali's Choice on Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
wamberal

Post by wamberal »

Ali's Choice wrote:No partisanship or bias in the Sunday Telegraph today. Still, it's pretty smart and efficient being able to use the same headlines regardless of the result.

The Sunday Telegraph is more like a comic book these days.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

wamberal wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:No partisanship or bias in the Sunday Telegraph today. Still, it's pretty smart and efficient being able to use the same headlines regardless of the result.

The Sunday Telegraph is more like a comic book these days.
The CCP would be proud of such propaganda. It's laughable.
Farva

Post by Farva »

Slim 293 wrote:
Where are you living?

Im up in Pascoe Vale.

Interestingly just went to Highpoint (wanted to get some gloves from Myer). Didn’t realise it was one of the lockdown suburbs. Place is dead!
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

127 new cases and 1 new death in Victoria overnight.

NSW are closing their border with Victoria, having spent months trolling QLD for keeping their border with NSW closed.
Sensible Stephen

Ali's Choice wrote:127 new cases and 1 new death in Victoria overnight.

NSW are closing their border with Victoria, having spent months trolling QLD for keeping their border with NSW closed.
:lol:

Victoria needs to be isolated from the rest of Australia for at least a month. Wankers have ruined it for the rest of us.
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

:lol: Funny because true
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Sensible Stephen wrote:
Victoria needs to be isolated from the rest of Australia for at least a month. Wankers have ruined it for the rest of us.
No Trans-Tasman Bubble :frown:
Sensible Stephen

Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
Sensible Stephen wrote:
No Trans-Tasman Bubble :frown:
It was only a couple of weeks ago that Andrews was giving SA shit for not opening our borders with Vic in time for the school holidays. :shock: :lol:
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Today's announcement will have a huge impact on the AFL. All ten AFL clubs are now based outside Victoria, but the plan was for them to return to Victoria in four weeks. I can't see the NSW/Vic border opening in that time-frame.
Farva

Post by Farva »

Sensible Stephen wrote:

We dont want to see you guys anyway.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Farva wrote:
Sensible Stephen wrote:

We could invoke the Federation clause and bring NZ in and kick out Victoria?
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
Farva wrote:
Sensible Stephen wrote:

That gets an okeydoke from me. Brisssie to, say, Wgtn is an internal flight; passport needed for Vic., assuming it is ever plague-free.

Mind you, yer actual Kiwis might not be so keen.
Farva

Post by Farva »

Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
Farva wrote:
Sensible Stephen wrote:

And where would you get decent coffee from hmm? Didnt think this through did you.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Farva wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
Farva wrote:
Sensible Stephen wrote:

And where would you get decent coffee from hmm? Didnt think this through did you.
Dude...