Clive Palmer
17%
George Smith
6%

Total votes: 18

Ali's Choice

Re: The Australian Politics Thread

Post by Ali's Choice »

Farva wrote:Not really political but snow in the inner north of Melbourne today.
When you say inner north, are you talking Northcote?
Farva

Post by Farva »

Ali's Choice wrote:
Farva wrote:Not really political but snow in the inner north of Melbourne today.
Pascoe Vale
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Farva wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
Pascoe Vale
:lol: When I lived in Melbourne that wasn't considered inner north, how times have changed!
Farva

Post by Farva »

I stretched the definition a bit. It’s inside the ring road...
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Farva wrote:I stretched the definition a bit. It’s inside the ring road...
You should be a real estate agent! :lol:
Farva

Post by Farva »

And sounds like The Hutt River principality is rejoining Australia!
Brumby_in_Vic

Post by Brumby_in_Vic »

Ali's Choice wrote:
Muttonbirds wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:Ignoramus Matt Canavan has just said that the Federal government has no case to answer on anything Covid related.
Really. I'd say the buck stops with Scomo. He is the Prime Minister, is he not?
Nope, in Australia the buck stops with whoever Rupert Murdoch says it stops with. He owns over 80% of our media outlets. And he love the PM. So almost 100% of negative coverage is directed towards the Victorian state premier.
:? What media outlets does Rupert have a stake in apart from the major city tabloids, Weekly Times and Sky News?

Fairfax owns Nine, SMH, the Spencer St Soviet and regional papers through its offshoots. Ten, SBS and ABC are also woke.
6.Jones

Post by 6.Jones »

Brumby_in_Vic wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
Muttonbirds wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:Ignoramus Matt Canavan has just said that the Federal government has no case to answer on anything Covid related.
Nope, in Australia the buck stops with whoever Rupert Murdoch says it stops with. He owns over 80% of our media outlets. And he love the PM. So almost 100% of negative coverage is directed towards the Victorian state premier.
:? What media outlets does Rupert have a stake in apart from the major city tabloids, Weekly Times and Sky News?

Fairfax owns Nine, SMH, the Spencer St Soviet and regional papers through its offshoots. Ten, SBS and ABC are also woke.
News Corp owns 58% of daily newspaper circulation; a majority of regional newspapers, the only national broadsheet, the Australian; the only pay TV network, Foxtel, which broadcasts the Murdoch-owned Sky News; and the most-viewed website, news.com.au. Australia has the world’s third-most concentrated media market after Egypt and China.

https://theconversation.com/factcheck-i ... orld-68437
kiwinoz

Post by kiwinoz »

Qld declares NSW and ACT hotspots from Saturday. Hopefully that will keep Qld open. Building a wall will be next.
Slim 293

Post by Slim 293 »

Brumby_in_Vic wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
Muttonbirds wrote:

Fairfax doesn't own anything... finger on the pulse. :lol:
Slim 293

Post by Slim 293 »

Ali's Choice wrote:
Farva wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
Pascoe Vale
:lol: When I lived in Melbourne that wasn't considered inner north, how times have changed!

To be fair, Pascoe Vale is not quite as far from the CBD as Reservoir, which is where everyone priced out of Northcote seems to have moved to in recent years...
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Slim 293 wrote:
Brumby_in_Vic wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
Muttonbirds wrote:

Fairfax doesn't own anything... finger on the pulse. :lol:
BiV is clueless as always. He should spend less time trolling Australian Rugby and politics, and more time keeping himself updated. Fairfax was absorbed by Nine Media ages ago. And many of their journalists have complained or left the organisation following complaints that they have been pressured to promote a strongly conservative, right wing agenda. Given their Chairman is Peter Costello this should surprise no one.
kiap

Post by kiap »

kiwinoz wrote:I think Palaszczuk has nothing to lose by doing it. But that window may close quicker than she thinks, especially if people are bullshitting at borders.
And so it was written and so it was done.
  • Queensland to close its border to NSW and ACT from Saturday

Queensland will close its border to all of New South Wales and the ACT from 1:00am on Saturday. It comes as the state recorded one new case of coronavirus overnight.

... Queenslanders who return after travelling there will be sent to mandatory hotel quarantine for 14 days at their own expense.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-08-05/ ... t/12518534
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

With record low interest rates, and near record high unemployment rates, I think the time is perfect for massive Federal govt funded infrastructure projects that will benefit this country for the next 100 years. Let's build the Melbourne-Sydney-Brisbane high speed rail, make all our major coastal highways dual carriageway with two or more lanes in either direction. Let's build ports, public transport infrastructure and dams. Let's build solar and wind power plants. Let's finish off the NBN that the Coalition ruined.

Of course this won't happen because we have the Coalition in office. We won't get any long lasting legacies from this pandemic. The govt will 'trickle down' its way out of depression with lower wages, lower taxes for the wealthy, a more casualised workforce, weaker IR laws and handouts to News Ltd.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

The massive backlog of public housing is a state issue according to Scomo.

A shame really as the need for them will be increasing at a rapid pace and it would be a shot in the arm to the building industry
shanky

Post by shanky »

Wow. Come in Neville Chamberlain, your time is up..!
Labor frontbencher: China 'a big gorilla' that 'will punish us'

By Eryk Bagshaw and Darren Gray
August 19, 2020 — 5.27pm

Labor frontbencher Joel Fitzgibbon has accused Scott Morrison of hurting Australian wine producers by offending Beijing, labelling the Prime Minister's attitude "outrageous" in an attack that threatens to split Australia's largely bipartisan foreign policy on China.

China's Ministry of Commerce launched an anti-dumping investigation into Australian wine producers on Tuesday, putting $1.2 billion worth of exports to Australia's largest market at risk. The hit was the fourth trade strike in as many months on a key Australian export after multiple disputes over the origins of the coronavirus, Hong Kong and the South China Sea.

Trade Minister Simon Birmingham held crisis talks with the wine industry on Wednesday morning including peak body Australian Grape and Wine and Australian wine giants; Treasury Wine Estates, Pernod Ricard, Yalumba and Accolade.

Mr Fitzgibbon, Labor's agriculture spokesman, on Wednesday escalated his criticism of the government. "I think there is someone to blame. I think it's Scott Morrison. I think his language and attitude towards China has been outrageous," he said. "It's a big gorilla. It's our major trading partner, our largest export market, and it's angry and it's going to punish us."

Mr Fitzgibbon, who did not distinguish between the Chinese Communist Party and the wider population, said Australia should aggressively defend its national interest but there was no need to push for an inquiry into the coronavirus or for Foreign Minister Marise Payne to travel to Washington to meet with US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo in July.

"What we should not do is unnecessarily offend the Chinese," he told 2CC radio on Wednesday. "And that's what Scott Morrison has been doing."

Mr Morrison said on Wednesday that Australia would not respond to threats of economic coercion. "We would maintain our positions as we always have, and be true to who we are and protect our national interest," he said.

Labor leader Anthony Albanese and foreign affairs spokeswoman Penny Wong have been attempting to balance China's rise with security and economic interests, but have largely avoided direct criticism of the government.

Senator Wong last week backed Mr Morrison's push to balance out China's influence in the region with likeminded nations, stating that an alliance was needed to deal with "a more assertive, more nationalistic China".

China sought to downplay the anti-dumping investigation on Tuesday night. "There's no need to read too much into it," said foreign ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian.

But Australian wine producers remain concerned they will become collateral damage in the fallout with Beijing.

Mr Micallef, who has exported wine to China since 2017, recently secured three new orders to export wine to China. Combined with wine already sent to China in calendar 2020, Zonzo’s exports to the country will be worth millions of dollars this year.

"Obviously it makes you a bit nervous, but who knows, it’s hard to say what’s going to happen now," he said.

China is the only country Zonzo exports to, with the new orders being for its Cabernet and Shiraz.

Rabobank trade expert Tim Hunt said the flashpoint in relations between China and Australia "represents probably the passing of our peak relationship with China in food and agricultural trade".

Australian wine is now in China's sights in a new escalation of tensions with our largest trading partner.

"In 2019-20 we sent 32 per cent of our (food and agriculture) exports to China. We haven’t been that exposed to the one market since the 1950s. And that was with the UK and that was a very different political relationship," he said.

Mr Hunt said the 32 per cent export share, the highest level in the history of the Australia-China trading relationship, had occurred in a year when relations between the countries had soured.

"We have five food and agriculture exports to China that are typically worth over $1 billion," he said. "China has so far this year impeded or threatened to impede three of the five."

China launched trade strikes on $1 billion worth of Australian beef and barley in April and has urged students and tourists to reconsider travelling to Australia.

Despite diplomatic relations hitting their lowest level in more than four decades, overall trade with China is now almost 4 per cent higher than it was this time last year, with significant increases in the iron ore, grain and wool sectors.
Ellafan

Post by Ellafan »

Pat the Ex Mat wrote:The massive backlog of public housing is a state issue according to Scomo.

A shame really as the need for them will be increasing at a rapid pace and it would be a shot in the arm to the building industry
Yes, it is.

The feds could give a state government a tied grant of money to be spent on state housing, but that's about the limit of their control.

The states could spend that on already contracted projects and use their own for sports stadiums or whatever.

Didn't we do the whole limits of federal constitutional powers thing a couple of weeks ago?
6.Jones

Post by 6.Jones »

shanky wrote:Wow. Come in Neville Chamberlain, your time is up..!
I guess whether Joel Fitzgibbon is Neville Chamberlain depends on whether China is Nazi Germany. If i's just making concessions to an aggressive power then everyone does that already. We make concessions to the United States. We've made concessions to China for decades, as a larger trading partner. Chamberlain appeased the annexation of Czechoslovakia.

I know you were joking, but there's a real point in there somewhere. Are we really concerned about China's human rights record? We are now, but we weren't before. And we've happily lived with the trade practices we're all het up about now, because they made us rich then.

Hong Kong I can live with as a cause and a line, but the rest? They're just examples of Trump-fluffing. The real actors here - America - don't give a fcuk about HK. Donny doesn't even know where it is on a map. Leading the American charge against China over Coronavirus is insane, like being first mouse over the top in a war.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Laissez faire capitalism appeared for all the world like a system that didn't have a price.

Turns out, it does.

Cheap tellies are great. Tibet? not so much
Sensible Stephen

Post by Sensible Stephen »

6.Jones wrote:
I guess whether Joel Fitzgibbon is Neville Chamberlain depends on whether China is Nazi Germany. If i's just making concessions to an aggressive power then everyone does that already. We make concessions to the United States. We've made concessions to China for decades, as a larger trading partner. Chamberlain appeased the annexation of Czechoslovakia.

I know you were joking, but there's a real point in there somewhere. Are we really concerned about China's human rights record? We are now, but we weren't before. And we've happily lived with the trade practices we're all het up about now, because they made us rich then.

Hong Kong I can live with as a cause and a line, but the rest? They're just examples of Trump-fluffing. The real actors here - America - don't give a fcuk about HK. Donny doesn't even know where it is on a map. Leading the American charge against China over Coronavirus is insane, like being first mouse over the top in a war.
Sure. You are right, but there is always a line, even with money.

10 years ago we were happy to turn a blind eye to any dodgy going ons. As their middle class grows, this stuff will naturally die away we thought. Korea was basically run by dictators until the 90s and it all came good.

But China has misread the situation and doubled down on its wolf warrior diplomacy. There's a real chance they will go after Taiwan in the next 5 to 10 years.

Things are not going the way the west had hoped. Divestment looks increasingly likely. Vietnam looks like it could be the big winner in all this.
Ellafan

Post by Ellafan »

shanky wrote:Laissez faire capitalism appeared for all the world like a system that didn't have a price.

Turns out, it does.

Am I allowed to respond, or are we still not talking?
6.Jones

Post by 6.Jones »

Sensible Stephen wrote:
6.Jones wrote:

Sure. You are right, but there is always a line, even with money.

10 years ago we were happy to turn a blind eye to any dodgy going ons. As their middle class grows, this stuff will naturally die away we thought. Korea was basically run by dictators until the 90s and it all came good.

But China has misread the situation and doubled down on its wolf warrior diplomacy. There's a real chance they will go after Taiwan in the next 5 to 10 years.

Things are not going the way the west had hoped. Divestment looks increasingly likely. Vietnam looks like it could be the big winner in all this.
Maybe I'm blinded by self interest but I don't see where the line is here. I rank free trade higher than interventionist altruism when it comes to getting the most people out of poverty, and moving authoritarian regimes closer towards niceness. It's America that's being the aggressor here, with entirely spurious trade wars and a foreign policy modeled completely on its domestic politics. China has absolutely been taiking the p*ss, but that's what superpowers do. The new balance has to be achieved [from our point of view] with us in the tent pissing out.
kiap

Post by kiap »

Put Chyna on hold for a moment.

Google is serving me up this:

Methinks they want to apply some Amazon-style customer relations in Australia.
But fuck 'em ... tax them early, tax them often.
grievous

Post by grievous »

kiap wrote:Put Chyna on hold for a moment.

Yeah comes up each google, YouTube too
Cry me a river non tax paying multi national
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Should be an interesting National Cabinet today. Morrison wants the state Premiers to open up borders, and is saying that states will become irrelevant if they don't. He's also threatened Federal funding for states that maintain border controls. I can't see Palaszczuk or McGowan kowtowing to Morrison's demands.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Ellafan wrote:
shanky wrote:Laissez faire capitalism appeared for all the world like a system that didn't have a price.

Turns out, it does.

No, you’re not.

Now, get your knickers and get me a cuppa tea.
Ellafan

Post by Ellafan »

shanky wrote:
Ellafan wrote:

Turns out, it does.

No, you’re not.

Now, get your knickers and get me a cuppa tea.
I'll get to that right after I call Aunts Abby and Martha.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Ali's Choice wrote:Should be an interesting National Cabinet today. Morrison wants the state Premiers to open up borders, and is saying that states will become irrelevant if they don't. He's also threatened Federal funding for states that maintain border controls. I can't see Palaszczuk or McGowan kowtowing to Morrison's demands.
What’s your view on Joel Fitzgibbons’ terrible ‘Tokyo Rose’ routine?
His horrible ‘Lord Haw Haw’?

His Benedict Arnold bastardry?
shanky

Post by shanky »

Just for giggles

watch this, the golden years of the ALP

Nowadays, what would Paul say about the current naysayers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vII9mpcmeLw
kiap

Post by kiap »

Interestingly, it seems that Tokyo Rose may have been a down-home patriot all along?
shanky

Post by shanky »

kiap wrote:Interestingly, it seems that Tokyo Rose may have been a down-home patriot all along?
That link doesn’t work for me

What’s the gist?
kiwinoz

Post by kiwinoz »

South East Qld (Greeater Brisbane) now joins in restrictions that make no sense
South-East Queensland is facing new restrictions after recording nine cases of coronavirus overnight, with six linked to the Brisbane Youth Detention Centre at Wacol, where a 77-year-old supervisor tested positive for the virus earlier this week.

More than 500 workers and 127 inmates are being tested for the virus — 56 results have so far come back negative.

As a result of the cluster, strict new restrictions will be imposed on gatherings in South-East Queensland.
Regions affected by restrictions:

Brisbane
Ipswich
Logan
Scenic Rim
Lockyer Valley
Somerset
Moreton
Redlands

Gatherings at homes across Greater Brisbane will be limited to 10 visitors from today.

Outdoor gatherings will also be limited to 10 people.

The regions affected by the restrictions are: Brisbane, Ipswich, Logan, Scenic Rim, Lockyer Valley, Somerset, Moreton and Redlands.

Facilities that have COVID-safe plans, including cafes, restaurants and gyms, will not be affected by the restrictions.

The rest of Queensland will be limited to 30 people.

Health authorities still do not know where the supervisor — a 77-year-old woman — contracted the illness.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

shanky wrote:
kiap wrote:Interestingly, it seems that Tokyo Rose may have been a down-home patriot all along?

What’s the gist?
While she was initially hesitant to get behind the microphone, Toguri eventually became a key participant in Cousens’ scheme. Starting in November 1943, her “gin-fog” voice was a recurring feature on the “Zero Hour” broadcasts. Toguri adopted the radio handle “Orphan Ann” and grew adept at reading Cousens’ scripts in a joking manner, sometimes even warning her listeners that the show was propaganda.

“So be on your guard, and mind the children don’t hear!” went one introduction. “All set? Okay! Here’s the first blow at your morale—the Boston Pops playing ‘Strike Up the Band!’” In another broadcast, Toguri called her listeners “my favorite family of boneheads, the fighting G.I.s in the blue Pacific.”

The surviving recordings and transcripts of Toguri’s programs indicate that she never threatened her listeners with bombings or taunted them about their wives being unfaithful—two favorite strategies of wartime propagandists—but she wasn’t Japan’s only lady announcer. There were dozens of other English-speaking women who read propaganda, and at least some of them adopted a more sinister tone.

As the war dragged on, American servicemen began referring to the different female voices by a single, infamous nickname: Tokyo Rose. None of the announcers—Toguri included—had ever used the moniker, yet the character became legendary. “Hers was so persuasive a myth that for most Americans she was as famous a Japanese as Emperor Hirohito,” journalist John Leggett later wrote in the New York Times.

Toguri performed her “Orphan Ann” character on the “Zero Hour” for roughly a year and a half, but she appeared with less frequency in the lead-up to the Japanese surrender in August 1945. By then, she had married a Portuguese-Japanese man named Filipe D’Aquino and was looking to return home. She remained in dire financial straits, however, so when two American reporters arrived in Japan and offered $2,000 for an interview with the famous “Tokyo Rose,” she naively stepped forward to recount her story. It would prove to be a disastrous decision.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

I'm assuming we are all boozing tonight and watching the NT election coverage The first state/territory election since the onset of covid?
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

kiwinoz wrote:restrictions that make no sense
Oh yes?

Why?
kiap

Post by kiap »

shanky wrote:

What’s the gist?
Try this: http://archive.is/HXWIN

The story has a bit of an Aussie angle as well.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

guy smiley wrote:
kiwinoz wrote:restrictions that make no sense
Oh yes?

Why?
We are in a weird place in Australia right now where the media is exclusively anti ALP, and oscillates between attacking ALP state leaders for any covid-19 deaths or infections (Dan Andrews) and attacking ALP state leaders for their harsh lockdowns and restrictions. So these ALP state leaders are simultaneously being attacked for being too harsh and too lax. Meanwhile our PM gets off Scott free.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Interesting stuff on Tokyo Rose 👍

Quite a sympathetic character in the end. More than on case say for Jiaping Joel.
towny

Post by towny »

grievous wrote:

The ignorance of Australians on this issue is mind blowing. It’s not that you don’t understand- you aren’t interested in trying to understand.

Depressing.
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

towny wrote:
grievous wrote:

The ignorance of Australians on this issue is mind blowing. It’s not that you don’t understand- you aren’t interested in trying to understand.

Depressing.
If Apple can mete out a few groats for others' journalistic content, why can't facebook, pootube and gargle?