15%
George Smith
15%

Total votes: 20

Pat the Ex Mat

Re: The Australian Politics Thread

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

In NSW Media land, she's already toast.

"Full support" and "I won't resign".....the phones will be melting at Liberal HQ presently
Last edited by Pat the Ex Mat on Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Farva

Post by Farva »

What did Gladys do wrong?
I don’t care who she is rooting.
Is there more to the story?
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Farva wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:08 am What did Gladys do wrong?
I think she has got herself entangled in a personal situation where her partner is allegedly a corrupt scumbag. Her crime is that she may have been aware if this and did not end things on the spot. She will try and argue that she was not aware. But like all politicians they are not to be trusted. Bye bye Gladys. Time for the next untrustworthy scumbag politician to step into the breach.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

She maintained a secret, covert intimate relationship with a minister for 5 years. This relationship continued for two years after this minister was sacked for corruption and using his position for financial gain. Today ICAC played phone taps of her conversations with him, where he was discussing finalising lucrative deals, whilst still a minister, where he made huge personal profits without ever divulging his personal interests on the public register. Julia Gillard was savaged for having an intimate relationship with a corrupt union official years before she ever took public office, I just hope News ltd apply the same public pressure to Gladys (we all know they won't).
Brumbie_Steve

Post by Brumbie_Steve »

Gladys is finished.
Is there no comment on the Opposition leader in Qld and our complicit PM?
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

kiwigreg369 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:12 am Will go through the Gladys story later tonight - from what i've skimmed she put herself, repeatedly, in a position where she could have been influenced or the perception of influence could be inferred.

Once might be OK - but seems like multiple times - she should go (in part because her political persona is based on the strength of her personal standards and approach - which is now tarnished).
Read and watched more.

Really disappointed - i do believe she's genuinely give herself to serving NSW. I think the approach to bush fires and COVID have been very good and she has led NSW well. However i think she has shown incredibly poor judgement over a long period of time.

She should go.
Ellafan

Post by Ellafan »

kiwigreg369 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:40 am
kiwigreg369 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:12 am Will go through the Gladys story later tonight - from what i've skimmed she put herself, repeatedly, in a position where she could have been influenced or the perception of influence could be inferred.

Once might be OK - but seems like multiple times - she should go (in part because her political persona is based on the strength of her personal standards and approach - which is now tarnished).
Read and watched more.

Really disappointed - i do believe she's genuinely give herself to serving NSW. I think the approach to bush fires and COVID have been very good and she has led NSW well. However i think she has shown incredibly poor judgement over a long period of time.

She should go.
No.

She is a reptile with her snout in the public trough like all the rest. At one point (boundaries change), she was my local member. I wrote her a letter about something. Generally you expect a polite "we have received your letter and are taking into account your views" response. I got squat, so she can get fucked.

Unfortunately the lefties on this thread will paint this as some sort of ideological victory, which, given the jackson/wran/obeid years in NSW is a total joke. She is a mere amateur by corruption comparison. But they are one eyed on this, as at least Groucho and Pat have tacitly admitted.

I see it as more of a failure of the checks and balances in the system. Along with the education of proper ethics in our school system. I said that the other night at the pub, and was told I was old and behind the times, and didn't understand contemporary standards.

Perhaps its Jeff Buckley time.
The Optimist

Post by The Optimist »

https://globalsolaratlas.info/map

The global solar atlas shows the potential for #SolarEnergy across the world. It is puzzling to me how little investment in the sector takes place in #Australia... well not really considering the pollies are bought and paid for whores of the fossil fuel industries. T R A V E S T Y ! ! !
shanky

Post by shanky »

Ali's Choice wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:04 am
She maintained a secret, covert intimate relationship with a minister for 5 years. This relationship continued for two years after this minister was sacked for corruption and using his position for financial gain. Today ICAC played phone taps of her conversations with him, where he was discussing finalising lucrative deals, whilst still a minister, where he made huge personal profits without ever divulging his personal interests on the public register. Julia Gillard was savaged for having an intimate relationship with a corrupt union official years before she ever took public office, I just hope News ltd apply the same public pressure to Gladys (we all know they won't).
Did Gillard resign for it?

Did she resign when her boyfriend made racist remarks?

Should she have?

Are women measured by their menfolk?

So many questions
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

shanky wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:46 am

Should she have?

So many questions
Hold up. Gillard dated a corrupt Union Leader many years before entering parliament.

In stark contrast, Gladys has been dating a corrupt, disgraced former MP for the last two years, whilst Premier. She has been recorded by ICAC discussing his big-money, corrupt deals on the phone.Laughingly telling him "I can't hear this" as he boasted about making money from his Ministerial decisions.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Brumbie_Steve wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:33 am Gladys is finished.
Is there no comment on the Opposition leader in Qld and our complicit PM?
Yep, Deb Frecklington has today been referred to QLD's corruption watchdog by members of her own party. Divided much?
shanky

Post by shanky »

Ali's Choice wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:56 am
shanky wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:46 am

Should she have?

So many questions
Hold up. Gillard dated a corrupt Union Leader many years before entering parliament.

In stark contrast, Gladys has been dating a corrupt, disgraced former MP for the last two years, whilst Premier. She has been recorded by ICAC discussing his big-money, corrupt deals on the phone.Laughingly telling him "I can't hear this" as he boasted about making money from his Ministerial decisions.
Much as it might entertain me to explore your relationship with justified-misogyny, I must insist that you answer my questions first.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Ellafan wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:18 pm But they are one eyed on this, as at least Groucho and Pat have tacitly admitted..
Perhaps if you drank less Shiraz, you'd remember that I always called out Labor corruption and called for more funds to go to ICAC and the creation of a federal equivalent.
Farva

Post by Farva »

The Optimist wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:10 am https://globalsolaratlas.info/map

The global solar atlas shows the potential for #SolarEnergy across the world. It is puzzling to me how little investment in the sector takes place in #Australia... well not really considering the pollies are bought and paid for whores of the fossil fuel industries. T R A V E S T Y ! ! !
Australia has a great solar resource.
The downside is that people are all on the coast which isnt quite as nice.
What that means is that there are limited transmission lines going into the centre meaning the capacity to construct power plants there is greatly reduced. How do you get the power out? That is starting to change but it takes time and costs a lot.
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

Farva wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:53 am

Australia has a great solar resource.
The downside is that people are all on the coast which isnt quite as nice.
What that means is that there are limited transmission lines going into the centre meaning the capacity to construct power plants there is greatly reduced. How do you get the power out? That is starting to change but it takes time and costs a lot.
New transmission lines to prospective solar sites in the interior are tomorrow's projects. Today's task - one that should already the well underway but is not - is building out intra-regional constraints and greatly increasing inter-regional transfer capacity (i.e. beefing up existing interconnectors and building new ones).

Almost every day, existing solar capacity is being curtailed because of intra-regional constraints; and, even it that were fixed overnight, the transfer capacity between regions is often insufficient to allow 'excess' generation available in region X to serve demand in region Y.
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

Ellafan wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:18 pm
kiwigreg369 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:40 am

Read and watched more.

She should go.
No.

She is a reptile with her snout in the public trough like all the rest. At one point (boundaries change), she was my local member. I wrote her a letter about something. Generally you expect a polite "we have received your letter and are taking into account your views" response. I got squat, so she can get fucked.

Unfortunately the lefties on this thread will paint this as some sort of ideological victory, which, given the jackson/wran/obeid years in NSW is a total joke. She is a mere amateur by corruption comparison. But they are one eyed on this, as at least Groucho and Pat have tacitly admitted.

I see it as more of a failure of the checks and balances in the system. Along with the education of proper ethics in our school system. I said that the other night at the pub, and was told I was old and behind the times, and didn't understand contemporary standards.

Perhaps its Jeff Buckley time.
All truths we hold to be self-evident. That doesn't mean you are incorrect, of course.

Also, re Jeff Buckley: one hopes you are contemplating a bit of background music rather than an ill-considered evening dip in a dangerous waterway.
Brumbie_Steve

Post by Brumbie_Steve »

Sluggy I think the problem is that you understand contemporary standards all too well. The problem is that not enough understand or realise where contemporary standards lead.
Farva

Post by Farva »

Very true Mungoman.
I know Basslink 2 is going ahead, and the interconnector between SA and NSW is also planned. But both of those should have been finished by now.
A second bass link will allow access to Tassies hydropower capacity and the interconnector between NSW and SA will do the double of opening up the congested area around Mildura as well as linking in the great SA wind resource to the broader natioanl grid.
Unfortunately our current infrastructure is designed to suit the idea of a couple of big generation assets in each state. Thats not the case anymore and there are dozens of smaller generators spread all over the country. Angus Taylor has pretended is hasnt been happening unfortunately.
Salient

Post by Salient »

Anyone wabt to explain how SloMo gets to jet into Queensland to campaign without self isolating for fourteen days?

Democracy, there can not be one rule for some and different rules for others, Liberals - democracy is overrated.
Ellafan

Post by Ellafan »

Last edited by Ellafan on Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ellafan

Post by Ellafan »

Salient wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:37 pm Anyone wabt to explain how SloMo gets to jet into Queensland to campaign without self isolating for fourteen days?

Democracy, there can not be one rule for some and different rules for others, Liberals - democracy is overrated.
The same way that the ACTU (Victorian branch) told the Vic government they had to use private sector security firms instead of the ADF, so they could recruit some new members?

And yes that is exactly what happened, and it will be exposed eventually. The faceless men (and nowadays ladies) strike again.
wamberal

Post by wamberal »

Ellafan wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:19 pm
Salient wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:37 pm Anyone wabt to explain how SloMo gets to jet into Queensland to campaign without self isolating for fourteen days?

The same way that the ACTU (Victorian branch) told the Vic government they had to use private sector security firms instead of the ADF, so they could recruit some new members?

And yes that is exactly what happened, and it will be exposed eventually. The faceless men (and nowadays ladies) strike again.
Private sector bad, public sector good, eh? Gee, that's a turnaround.
Slim 293

Post by Slim 293 »

Usually, the phrase "the same way" precedes a comparison of two identical circumstances...
Brumbie_Steve

Post by Brumbie_Steve »

Slim 293 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:24 am

Usually, the phrase "the same way" precedes a comparison of two identical circumstances...
Didn't the NSW govt contract the same company?
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Brumbie_Steve wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:50 am

I pass three quarantine hotels on my walk to work every day in Sydney and they're staffed by private security, and maybe once in every 5 days I'll see police there.
Brumbie_Steve

Post by Brumbie_Steve »

UncleFB wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:55 am
Brumbie_Steve wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:50 am

I pass three quarantine hotels on my walk to work every day in Sydney and they're staffed by private security, and maybe once in every 5 days I'll see police there.
That's probably because Gladys is shagging some union type but she doesn't know it is a union recruiting exercise. The police commissioner is getting some as well so she is creating a bit of overtime for the boys in blue.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Everything is coming out now. She's done.

Of course Alan Jones is touting that personal lives shouldn't come into it but this has moved on from that.

How good would it be to have a federal ICAC. Dutton? Get in line.
6.Jones

Post by 6.Jones »

The IEA just said that solar is now the cheapest electricity in history.
https://www.iea.org/reports/world-energy-outlook-2020
There are riders and caveats of course but this tide is only going in one direction.
wamberal

Post by wamberal »

My understanding is that Gladys should have declared her relationship with Magmoneygrubber.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Rumours abounding on Twitter that Gladys B will resign tomorrow, after factional figures in party have moved on her. Tbh, as much as I love seeing the Liberals cannibalise themselves this is a shame because I like Gladys. She's a moderate and I have no doubt she'll be replaced by a ScoMo-esque RWNJ. Apparently the move on Gladys has been started by the NSW right, which is closely aligned to Morrison.
6.Jones

Post by 6.Jones »

Ali's Choice wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:05 pm Rumours abounding on Twitter that Gladys B will resign tomorrow, after factional figures in party have moved on her. Tbh, as much as I love seeing the Liberals cannibalise themselves this is a shame because I like Gladys. She's a moderate and I have no doubt she'll be replaced by a ScoMo-esque RWNJ. Apparently the move on Gladys has been started by the NSW right, which is closely aligned to Morrison.
Yes, a good Premier was Gladys. Let her paint her face an inch thick, to this state she must come.
wamberal

Post by wamberal »

Ali's Choice wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:05 pm Rumours abounding on Twitter that Gladys B will resign tomorrow, after factional figures in party have moved on her. Tbh, as much as I love seeing the Liberals cannibalise themselves this is a shame because I like Gladys. She's a moderate and I have no doubt she'll be replaced by a ScoMo-esque RWNJ. Apparently the move on Gladys has been started by the NSW right, which is closely aligned to Morrison.
Perrottet? Be scared. Very scared.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Perrotet is tainted with the iCare fiasco.

Stokes is my call
Shrekles

Post by Shrekles »

I agree - I am a leftist but she has displayed great leadership during the numerous crises inflicted upon us in the last 12 mths
shanky

Post by shanky »

Very sad if true

This poor woman, who clearly hasn't much luck in her private life, and perhaps a little too desperate to hold on to the toe-rag boyfriend to the point it affected her judgement - sees her entire world unfold.

I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

I guess we get the politicians we deserve. No wonder we're all a bit cynical
Brumbie_Steve

Post by Brumbie_Steve »

If the roles were reversed and it was Gladys who was the crook would the wronged bloke be getting the same sympathy?
6.Jones

Post by 6.Jones »

Brumbie_Steve wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:35 am If the roles were reversed and it was Gladys who was the crook would the wronged bloke be getting the same sympathy?
That'd make an awesome TV show.
wamberal

Post by wamberal »

Meanwhile, after Scummo's lengthy visit to QLD, the ALP is now leading 52-48, and Palaszcuk is leading the hugely unimpressive Debbie Freckles 56 to 32 as preferred Premier.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Brumbie_Steve wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:35 am If the roles were reversed and it was Gladys who was the crook would the wronged bloke be getting the same sympathy?
Would the bloke be receiving the same level of judgement?

Women are judged more worser than men on these things.

Ask Julia Gillard
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

shanky wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:27 am
Would the bloke be receiving the same level of judgement?

Women are judged more worser than men on these things.

Ask Julia Gillard
But you revelled in the treatment that Julia Gillard was subjected to. Your beloved '4 Term Tony' Abbott won an election off the back of her character being assasinated.