15%
George Smith
15%

Total votes: 20

Pat the Ex Mat

Re: The Australian Politics Thread

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Ellafan wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:02 pm
Pat the Ex Mat wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:46 am Was it not reported on Sky News :roll:

The French design.
You know full well I only watch the ABC - and read military journals.

Anyway, Lockheed are the lead contractor, so not French.
It's a French design.

And Lockheed....the kings of "oh, we missed a bit and it will cost several billion more...."
kiap

Post by kiap »

6.Jones wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:06 am $90b. It's not clear how they'll be obsolete. The first of the donor class is being built now. The most effective submarine in the world is the Swedish Gotland class [the one that sank the USS Ronald Reagan in exercises and sailed away unseen] and they've been around since 1992.
Types of submarines are the only warships that aren't already obsolete.

Every surface ship, especially those big yankee carriers, are metal ducks in an arcade shoot if there is an actual big boy war.
6.Jones

Post by 6.Jones »

kiap wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:45 pm
6.Jones wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:06 am $90b. It's not clear how they'll be obsolete. The first of the donor class is being built now. The most effective submarine in the world is the Swedish Gotland class [the one that sank the USS Ronald Reagan in exercises and sailed away unseen] and they've been around since 1992.
Types of submarines are the only warships that aren't already obsolete.

Every surface ship, especially those big yankee carriers, are metal ducks in an arcade shoot if there is an actual big boy war.
Indeed, and yet they keep on building them. The next generation of warfare belongs to the drones. And after that nanotech.
shanky

Post by shanky »

And then Cyborgs at some point, hopefully.
Ellafan

Post by Ellafan »

Pat the Ex Mat wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:46 pm
Ellafan wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:02 pm
Pat the Ex Mat wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:46 am Was it not reported on Sky News :roll:

The French design.
You know full well I only watch the ABC - and read military journals.

Anyway, Lockheed are the lead contractor, so not French.
It's a French design.

And Lockheed....the kings of "oh, we missed a bit and it will cost several billion more...."
Based on a French design- so it's sexy.

Developed into something that doesn't run on dairy product, and surrender at the slightest provocation, by the skunk works.

You need to catch up on your reading.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

I'd wager my reading is very fine
Ellafan

Post by Ellafan »

Pat the Ex Mat wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:55 am I'd wager my reading is very fine
Would you wager slow cooked lamb shanks, and a couple of bottles of 389?
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

But of course.

If the sauce is as languid as an Alfa's liquid metal reactor coolant
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

Now that chinless wingnut Charlie Battenberg's 'Onya mate!' letter to Sir John Turd is public knowledge, one wonders whether it will have much impact. It was one fúck of a long time ago, after all.

Even so, played right it could be decisive in ridding Straya of the Crown link once Lizzie Battenberg shuffles off the mortal etc.
wamberal

Post by wamberal »

We can only hope.
Ellafan

Post by Ellafan »

Pat the Ex Mat wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:24 am But of course.

If the sauce is as languid as an Alfa's liquid metal reactor coolant
Sticky when regurgitated.
Ellafan

Post by Ellafan »

MungoMan wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:27 am Now that chinless wingnut Charlie Battenberg's 'Onya mate!' letter to Sir John Turd is public knowledge, one wonders whether it will have much impact. It was one fúck of a long time ago, after all.

Even so, played right it could be decisive in ridding Straya of the Crown link once Lizzie Battenberg shuffles off the mortal etc.
I had thought, or at least in inferred, that there was a tacit agreement to revisit the whole republic thing after HRH drops off - which can't be too far away. Although the poor old thing seems to be hanging on as long as possible, hoping to outlive Charlie - a bit like her great-great grandmama did with Edward VII.

Personally, I think Major Harry Windsor RM would be a good transitional viceroy choice for Awestraya. It's not as if he's actually related to the Queen. Fixed term arrangement.
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

Ellafan wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:06 pm
MungoMan wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:27 am Now that chinless wingnut Charlie Battenberg's 'Onya mate!' letter to Sir John Turd is public knowledge, one wonders whether it will have much impact. It was one fúck of a long time ago, after all.

I had thought, or at least in inferred, that there was a tacit agreement to revisit the whole republic thing after HRH drops off - which can't be too far away. Although the poor old thing seems to be hanging on as long as possible, hoping to outlive Charlie - a bit like her great-great grandmama did with Edward VII.

Personally, I think Major Harry Windsor RM would be a good transitional viceroy choice for Awestraya. It's not as if he's actually related to the Queen. Fixed term arrangement.
Such was / is my view as well. I see the letter as a nudge.
kiap

Post by kiap »

Sweaty Betty could yet make a hundy and twenny.

Next referendum to be in 2046.

Here first.
wamberal

Post by wamberal »

Charlie's stupidity will not make any difference. Monarchists will be pleased that he stepped in to encourage the dismissal.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

It is the QLD election today. This election was always going to be very close, and the impact of the pandemic is still uncertain. Every major newspaper in the state is owned by News Ltd and they have all waged war on Premier Palaszczuk over the last months and years. And Clive Palmer has spent twice as much as both the major parties combined on anti-ALP ads.

The LNP would be guaranteed of winning if they didn't have such a bad leader, Deb Frecklington. I suspect this election will be very close but I suspect this will be a win for the LNP and a loss for the ALP. I hope I'm wrong!
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Let's hope so.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Sky News commentators are saying that QLDers are enraged about the border closures. This isn't what I am seeing or hearing on the ground. My electorate is an LNP heartland and I'm yet to meet someone who wanted the borders opened earluer. I'd be interested to hear what other QLD based bordies think, are you as angry about the closure of the NSW border as Sky News says you are?
6.Jones

Post by 6.Jones »

Ellafan wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:06 pm

How ironic that the virus doesn't kill the Corona.
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

Ali's Choice wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:22 am Sky News commentators are saying that QLDers are enraged about the border closures. This isn't what I am seeing or hearing on the ground. My electorate is an LNP heartland and I'm yet to meet someone who wanted the borders opened earluer. I'd be interested to hear what other QLD based bordies think, are you as angry about the closure of the NSW border as Sky News says you are?
I for one am fuming with rage! :x :x

O hang on, I’m lying again.

As it happens, I popped into NSW last week (Brunswick Heads) without much in the way of unusual delay in returning since we’d printed border declarations beforehand. A week earlier we’d planned to enter NSW after a visit to Sundown NP in Qld and had the requisite border declarations at the ready but didn’t use them since the route we’d chosen was closed.

I’m fine with the Qld government’s Qld/NSW border policy to date and I’ve not heard any whinges about it from folk I know.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

MungoMan wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:53 am
Ali's Choice wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:22 am Sky News commentators are saying that QLDers are enraged about the border closures. This isn't what I am seeing or hearing on the ground. My electorate is an LNP heartland and I'm yet to meet someone who wanted the borders opened earluer. I'd be interested to hear what other QLD based bordies think, are you as angry about the closure of the NSW border as Sky News says you are?
I for one am fuming with rage! :x :x

O hang on, I’m lying again.

As it happens, I popped into NSW last week (Brunswick Heads) without much in the way of unusual delay in returning since we’d printed border declarations beforehand. A week earlier we’d planned to enter NSW after a visit to Sundown NP in Qld and had the requisite border declarations at the ready but didn’t use them since the route we’d chosen was closed.

I’m fine with the Qld government’s Qld/NSW border policy to date and I’ve not heard any whinges about it from folk I know.
TBH I think ATSI youth crime in North QLD is a much bigger problem for Palaszczuk than the borders. But that's a very hard issue to solve, and LNP's state governments have been just as incapable of improving crime in Townsville, Cairns and Mt Isa as ALP state governments.
Salient

Post by Salient »

Ali's Choice wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:39 am It is the QLD election today. This election was always going to be very close, and the impact of the pandemic is still uncertain. Every major newspaper in the state is owned by News Ltd and they have all waged war on Premier Palaszczuk over the last months and years. And Clive Palmer has spent twice as much as both the major parties combined on anti-ALP ads.

The LNP would be guaranteed of winning if they didn't have such a bad leader, Deb Frecklington. I suspect this election will be very close but I suspect this will be a win for the LNP and a loss for the ALP. I hope I'm wrong!
Gave that analysis as well to interested parties south of the border. Unfort our laws will not allow Palmer to be taken to court for outright lies and untruths about the ALP, and to be honest the great unwashed in this State are not clever enough to work out Clive wouldn't know the truth if it leapt up and bite him on the arse, bit like Trump really.

Think the North of the state is going to be nasty for Labor and they won't pick up enough in the South East to cover. Hoping the Greens pick off another couple of LNP seats in Brisbane, which at least gives us a fighting chance of a coalition.

Hey the LNP have promised $300 rebate on car rego by Christmas, and if people believe we are going to see that I have a bridge down in Sydney I'm prepared to sell.
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

Salient wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:08 am
Ali's Choice wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:39 am It is the QLD election today. This election was always going to be very close, and the impact of the pandemic is still uncertain. Every major newspaper in the state is owned by News Ltd and they have all waged war on Premier Palaszczuk over the last months and years. And Clive Palmer has spent twice as much as both the major parties combined on anti-ALP ads.

Gave that analysis as well to interested parties south of the border. Unfort our laws will not allow Palmer to be taken to court for outright lies and untruths about the ALP, and to be honest the great unwashed in this State are not clever enough to work out Clive wouldn't know the truth if it leapt up and bite him on the arse, bit like Trump really.

Think the North of the state is going to be nasty for Labor and they won't pick up enough in the South East to cover. Hoping the Greens pick off another couple of LNP seats in Brisbane, which at least gives us a fighting chance of a coalition.

Hey the LNP have promised $300 rebate on car rego by Christmas, and if people believe we are going to see that I have a bridge down in Sydney I'm prepared to sell.
At this point it looks like Deb can shove it up her Frecklington. A tragedy.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Also, I hope all those contemptible fúcks who produced Palmer’s ads are readying themselves for court action if the fat dogrooter hasn’t already paid.
Bindi

Post by Bindi »

The strong Labor performance has eased the Bled pain fortunately.

Have always been reasonably confident about this one as many of my generally conservative friends have said they'll vote to keep Palaszczuk in because she stood up for QLD during COVID, particularly under immense pressure from Murdoch news / Feds etc.

People are very grateful for the leadership during the pandemic.
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

Bindi wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:53 pm The strong Labor performance has eased the Bled pain fortunately.

Have always been reasonably confident about this one as many of my generally conservative friends have said they'll vote to keep Palaszczuk in because she stood up for QLD during COVID, particularly under immense pressure from Murdoch news / Feds etc.

People are very grateful for the leadership during the pandemic.
Thing is, pre-plague I’d assumed Labor was toast in Qld, come election time. I strongly doubt I was on my Pat Malone in that respect. But Palaszczuk played a blinder in how she sold the Qld government’s Covid strategy and it paid off.

Big tears, LNP.

Also, har fúcking har Jackie Tard you smug half-smart piece of crap.
shanky

Post by shanky »

I’m happy that Palayuk won

I remember when I paid thousands in extra tax to help out Brisbane in the floods

I won’t have to pay that again anytime soon

Win/win
grievous

Post by grievous »

Some interesting outcomes
Libs questioning their alliance with Nationals
One Nation are finally on the way to oblivion
Palmer party obstruction tactics didn't work
Scomo's involvement probably hurt rather than helped LNP :lol:

Maybe Fed Labor can learn a bit off Qld Labor, they need a few tricks.
kiap

Post by kiap »

grievous wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:47 pm Maybe Fed Labor can learn a bit off Qld Labor, they need a few tricks.
By the end of this cycle, Labor will have been on the Qld govt benches for a bee's dick short of 40 out of 45 years.

One of Labor's problems is they think they can run a federal party out of Melbourne.

It can't be done.
grievous

Post by grievous »

kiap wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:04 am
grievous wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:47 pm Maybe Fed Labor can learn a bit off Qld Labor, they need a few tricks.
By the end of this cycle, Labor will have been on the Qld govt benches for a bee's dick short of 40 out of 45 years.

One of Labor's problems is they think they can run a federal party out of Melbourne.

It can't be done.
Something in that but they shouldn't be asking for help from NSW
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

shanky wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:24 pm I’m happy that Palayuk won

I remember when I paid thousands in extra tax to help out Brisbane in the floods

Win/win
Strange post. As a taxpayer I have no complaints that billions of tax payer's dollars are being spent rebuilding NSW after the Sydney bush-fires. I also have no problem with millions of tax payer's dollars being spent on worthwhile regional projects such as upgrading the North Sydney public pool :thumbup:
wamberal

Post by wamberal »

Really good result for the ALP.

Debbie was an electoral disaster, I reckon, she just came across as a lightweight, and her comment about AP's childless status compared to her own fecundity was probably the worst single mistake of a shoddy campaign.

Lessons for the Federal party: zilch. In fact there are some who say that a State loss might have been a better result for Labor's chances federally in QLD.
Last edited by wamberal on Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
kiap

Post by kiap »

wamberal wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:17 am Lessons for the Federal party: zilch.
In that case they'll lose again, old scout.

They came on in the same old way and were defeated in the same old way...
wamberal

Post by wamberal »

kiap wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:23 am

They should already have all the lessons they need from their failure in the last Federal election.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

wamberal wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:17 am Really good result for the ALP.

Debbie was an electoral disaster, I reckon, she just came across as a lightweight, and her comment about AP's childless status compared to her own fecundity was probably the worst single mistake of a shoddy campaign.

Lessons for the Federal party: zilch. In fact there are some who say that a State loss might have been a better result.
Scott Morrison made a huge deal about spending an entire week in QLD during this election campaign. He did everything in his power to get Frecklington over the line. He promised new highways. He promised to fund gulags to lock up ATSI kids if they were out and about after sundown. He promised that QLD'ers would benefit from the next round of sports rorts if they elected an LNP government. And his message was ignored. Whilst I agree that Queenslanders are very good at differentiating between state and Federal politics/elections, Scott Morrison deliberately inserted himself into this election, and therefore must share some of the blame for the swing to the ALP.
kiap

Post by kiap »

wamberal wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:27 am
kiap wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:23 am

They should already have all the lessons they need from their failure in the last Federal election.
Which were?
wamberal

Post by wamberal »

Getting rid of Shorten is the most obvious lesson. Not sure that Albo is the answer, but he is a thousand times more electable than Shorten. Chalmers being deputy helps, of course.

The other lesson is that they will struggle to hold/win sits in areas which rely to some extent on fossil fuel extraction unless they can come up with a credible and financially responsible way forward. And unless they can get rid of Bob Brown and his bunch of stragglers, somehow.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

The fact that debt, deficits and budget surpluses won't be an issue at Federal elections for generations will favour the ALP. They can borrow to fund programs and initiatives, like all responsible governments should do.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Some key takeaways from the QLD election;

- Rupert Murdoch's power to influence is waning. All the major newspapers in QLD are owned by News Ltd, they all waged war on Palaszcuk and despite this the ALP's vote increased.
- Clive Palmer needs to try a new shtick. He once again outspent the major parties on advertising, which was exclusively anti-ALP. But unlike at last year's Federal election this time his campaigning did not resonate with voters. Lying about death taxes will only work so many times before people stop listening.
- More One Nations voters switched to the ALP than the LNP. That in itself should be the story if this election.
- The people of North QLD may be sick of youth crime, but dog whistling and ATSI 'curfews' are a step too far
- Scott Morrison may have achieved a miracle at the last election, but since then his campaigning in Eden Manaro and QLD has not paid dividends.
kiap

Post by kiap »

wamberal wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:54 am Getting rid of Shorten is the most obvious lesson. Not sure that Albo is the answer, but he is a thousand times more electable than Shorten. Chalmers being deputy helps, of course.
:lol: No, that's not the most obvious lesson. Albo is NOT a thousand times more electable, ffs.

Shorten, lucking lustre and all, uncle rupe and all, externalities and all... could still have won - as could Albo. In no way was it predetermined. Government was eminently winnable.

Shorten didn't lose because of who he was. ALP lost because they didn't look hard enough across all the electorate. You know where they got beat.
wamberal wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:54 am The other lesson is that they will struggle to hold/win sits in areas which rely to some extent on fossil fuel extraction unless they can come up with a credible and financially responsible way forward. And unless they can get rid of Bob Brown and his bunch of stragglers, somehow.
Now you're getting warmer.

(no pun intended)
Ellafan

Post by Ellafan »

shanky wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:24 pm I’m happy that Palayuk won

Win/win
Back when you had flared slacks and ties as wide as bread plates, eh?

I bet you cut a mean rug to Donna Summer. :thumbup: