Clive Palmer
13%
George Smith
13%

Total votes: 24

kiap

Re: The Australian Politics Thread

Post by kiap »

Slim 293 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:03 am Sarah Hanson-Young is hinting at naming him in Parliament if nothing else comes of it...
I'd reckon Christian Porter will have to make a statement sooner rather than later. Identifies himself as the accused and it goes on from there.

̶M̶a̶r̶i̶s̶e̶ ̶P̶a̶y̶n̶e̶'̶s̶ Linda Reynolds' days as the defence minister, I think, are numbered. Maybe not quite on the same 'sooner rather than later' timeframe, but numbered nonetheless. There'll be reshuffle on the cards.
Last edited by kiap on Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
freewheelan

Post by freewheelan »

Hugh Rimmington just tweeted this:
#MalcolmTurnbull has just told Fran Kelly he “has a question in my own mind” about whether the woman at the centre of the historic rape allegations against a now Cabinet Minister actually died by suicide. He says it is “counter-intuitive”.
I had wondered what the circumstances were and now Turnbull has put it out there it will become a focus point in this sordid mess.
Bindi

Post by Bindi »

What was alleged seems plausible based on people's recollections and photo showing the alleged rapist and the victim on the night:

https://www.news.com.au/national/politi ... 7075284bbf

Clearly not an open and shut case, and certainly impossible to prove either way what happened, but this will drag on and on. There's obviously no good outcome for the complainant anymore, and not for the Minister if he's innocent. If he's guilty however, even getting hounded out of politics isn't close to what he deserves. Will not doubt fall into a well-paid board position somewhere.
Slim 293

Post by Slim 293 »

The alleged analrapist will front up to the media tomorrow...
shanky

Post by shanky »

Bindi wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:46 am What was alleged seems plausible based on people's recollections and photo showing the alleged rapist and the victim on the night:

Clearly not an open and shut case, and certainly impossible to prove either way what happened, but this will drag on and on. There's obviously no good outcome for the complainant anymore, and not for the Minister if he's innocent. If he's guilty however, even getting hounded out of politics isn't close to what he deserves. Will not doubt fall into a well-paid board position somewhere.
Let’s face it. His career is now over.

Unlike the Heydon case, or the Shorten case, there is little prospect of getting a satisfactory level of certainty as to guilt

He’s done.

Makes it easier to accept because he’s unpleasant, I guess.
Bindi

Post by Bindi »

shanky wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:05 am
Bindi wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:46 am What was alleged seems plausible based on people's recollections and photo showing the alleged rapist and the victim on the night:

Unlike the Heydon case, or the Shorten case, there is little prospect of getting a satisfactory level of certainty as to guilt

He’s done.

He'll have no issues getting a high paying job. Won't become PM one day, which I'm sure will be a disappointment.
Bindi

Post by Bindi »

Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Australian politics is a fvcking swamp. Filled with fvcking slimy swamp dwellers. That leech off the Australian taxpayer. I have a truly healthy dislike of politicians of all persuasions.
freewheelan

Post by freewheelan »

He’s done.

What I found intriguing in what was purported to be the victim's account was how similar it was to Brittany Higgins's account of her sexual assault. As a defense barrister, when you read accounts where the victim isn't trying to fill in memory gaps because of reasons like too much alcohol consumption, you know in cross-examination you will be walking on a minefield. People don't feel the need to make stuff up when they are telling the truth.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Clogs wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:01 am Australian politics is a fvcking swamp. Filled with fvcking slimy swamp dwellers. That leech off the Australian taxpayer. I have a truly healthy dislike of politicians of all persuasions.
Truly strange take given that only one political party has been linked to multiple rape scandals over the past few weeks. Yet your hysterical tears are for "Australian politics" more generally. A classic case of "both side-ism".
freewheelan

Post by freewheelan »

Ali's Choice wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:05 am
Clogs wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:01 am Australian politics is a fvcking swamp. Filled with fvcking slimy swamp dwellers. That leech off the Australian taxpayer. I have a truly healthy dislike of politicians of all persuasions.
Truly strange take given that only one political party has been linked to multiple rape scandals over the past few weeks. Yet your hysterical tears are for "Australian politics" more generally. A classic case of "both side-ism".
It's not unlike all those media commentators saying "Australia's" treatment of aged care is the issue when the reality is that the LNP gutted billions of dollars of funding from aged care. The cowardice of laying blame where it lies is unbelievable with some people!
Bindi

Post by Bindi »

freewheelan wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:14 am
It's not unlike all those media commentators saying "Australia's" treatment of aged care is the issue when the reality is that the LNP gutted billions of dollars of funding from aged care. The cowardice of laying blame where it lies is unbelievable with some people!
It's truly f**ked; my mother is on the 18-odd months waitlist for stage 3 (highest level) in-home care. The government simply refuses to fund the scheme properly, so most on the list either can't afford their own care or exhaust their funds waiting, and have to sell the house to go into a nursing home, or die. All while wealthy plum like Gerry Harvey are getting free jobkeeper money and won't pay it back. Or other dumb shit like wasting half a billion on replacing a 20 year old war memorial.

Having said that, the old girl would never dream of voting for anyone but scotty.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

And Dutton's department let the owners of a for profit chain of care homes, skip the country despite serious questions about their income.

Aged care.should never be for profit
shanky

Post by shanky »

freewheelan wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:05 am

He’s done.

What I found intriguing in what was purported to be the victim's account was how similar it was to Brittany Higgins's account of her sexual assault. As a defense barrister, when you read accounts where the victim isn't trying to fill in memory gaps because of reasons like too much alcohol consumption, you know in cross-examination you will be walking on a minefield. People don't feel the need to make stuff up when they are telling the truth.
You raise an interesting side-point to this debate.

That is, the whole way our legal system is not equipped to deal with he/she said cases, particularly sexual assault.
Victims are harangued on the stand about their sexual behaviour and lifestyle under the assumption this improves the defendant’s right to a fair trial. Even then, apparently less than half of guilty verdicts result in a custodial sentence.

Meanwhile, the court of public opinion would have the accused strung up without much thought. Reputations ruined forever regardless of outcome.

There has to be a better way. Do you know if there is one?
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

You have this wonderful rosy eyed view that only one side of politics are cvnts and the other side are angels that can do no wrong. I have this view that politicians of any and all persuasions are cvnts. The major parties turn these ideological starters into cvnts. I don't trust any of them. They are all self serving, "me first, do what I have to to survive the swamp" pack of cvnts. That is my starting point. I work down from there.

How do you tell one major party from the other? One has less alleged rapists? Fewer convicted for corruption members? Fewer liars?

This current pack of sleazeballs in Federal Government need a kick in the arse. The alternative is not much better. I will make an exception for Penny Wong.
freewheelan

Post by freewheelan »

shanky wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:01 pm

You raise an interesting side-point to this debate.

That is, the whole way our legal system is not equipped to deal with he/she said cases, particularly sexual assault.
Victims are harangued on the stand about their sexual behaviour and lifestyle under the assumption this improves the defendant’s right to a fair trial. Even then, apparently less than half of guilty verdicts result in a custodial sentence.

Meanwhile, the court of public opinion would have the accused strung up without much thought. Reputations ruined forever regardless of outcome.

There has to be a better way. Do you know if there is one?
No. There are a lot more rules these days limiting cross-examination though (although I hung my wig up several years ago and have not kept up to date with current legislation and case law). Having represented people who I believed were actually innocent of sexual assault allegations, it's difficult to see how the presumption of innocence either could or should be tampered with.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Clogs wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:02 pm
You have this wonderful rosy eyed view that only one side of politics are cvnts and the other side are angels that can do no wrong. I have this view that politicians of any and all persuasions are cvnts. The major parties turn these ideological starters into cvnts. I don't trust any of them. They are all self serving, "me first, do what I have to to survive the swamp" pack of cvnts. That is my starting point. I work down from there.

How do you tell one major party from the other? One has less alleged rapists? Fewer convicted for corruption members? Fewer liars?

This current pack of sleazeballs in Federal Government need a kick in the arse. The alternative is not much better. I will make an exception for Penny Wong.
More pathetic "both side-ism". Why cannot conservative voters accept the fact that over the past two weeks it is only the Federal Coalition that is accused of protecting rapists. It's not the ALP, nor the Greens, nor KAP, PHON or anyone else, It is solely and wholly the Federal Coalition.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Ali's Choice wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:05 pm

More pathetic "both side-ism". Why cannot conservative voters accept the fact that over the past two weeks it is only the Federal Coalition that is accused of protecting rapists. It's not the ALP, nor the Greens, nor KAP, PHON or anyone else, It is solely and wholly the Federal Coalition.

Why do I get the feeling that you are going to be eating those words in due course? If they are a pack of narcissistic cvnts across the board then expect them to behave so. Both sides will have skeletons in their closet. Now that pandora's box has been opened, expect to see many more of these horror stories surface and I can assure you, they won't be limited to one side of the fence. Why? Because politicians are cvnts. Horrible fvcking narcissistic cvnts. At least I can see this because am not blinded by some parochial party loyalty. You have a view that it is only the other side. Your team are righteous and virtuous and can do no wrong. There is nothing wrong with loyalty, but don't let it rob you of your critical reasoning.

How about this. I bet you there will be rape allegations against a Labor member within say the next 6 months. If I am wrong I will vote Labor at the next election. If I am right, you will spoil your paper and draw a nice big cock and hairy balls on it. Like I do. At every election.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Clogs wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:20 pm

Why do I get the feeling that you are going to be eating those words in due course? If they are a pack of narcissistic cvnts across the board then expect them to behave so. Both sides will have skeletons in their closet. Now that pandora's box has been opened, expect to see many more of these horror stories surface and I can assure you, they won't be limited to one side of the fence. Why? Because politicians are cvnts. Horrible fvcking narcissistic cvnts. At least I can see this because am not blinded by some parochial party loyalty. You have a view that it is only the other side. Your team are righteous and virtuous and can do no wrong. There is nothing wrong with loyalty, but don't let it rob you of your critical reasoning.

How about this. I bet you there will be rape allegations against a Labor member within say the next 6 months. If I am wrong I will vote Labor at the next election. If I am right, you will spoil your paper and draw a nice big cock and hairy balls on it. Like I do. At every election.
Dumb post. I referred specifically to the rape scandals over the past two weeks. Your desperate attempts to generalise these scandals across the whole spectrum of Australian politics are as pathetic as they are predictable. You simply cannot bring yourself to say that it is in fact only the Coalition that is currently under the spotlight. You're a pathetic partisan hack whose party of choice is running a protection racket for rapists. You voted for this lot so you must own these scandals.
Slim 293

Post by Slim 293 »

So, Christian Porter is in Perth talking about something in approx. 20 minutes...
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Slim 293 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:40 am So, Christian Porter is in Perth talking about something in approx. 20 minutes...
:lol:

You just know the ultra-conservative Christians always have skeletons... :thumbdown:
Slim 293

Post by Slim 293 »

Correction, he is in Canberra... talking about something, shortly...
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Ali's Choice wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:34 am

Dumb post. I referred specifically to the rape scandals over the past two weeks. Your desperate attempts to generalise these scandals across the whole spectrum of Australian politics are as pathetic as they are predictable. You simply cannot bring yourself to say that it is in fact only the Coalition that is currently under the spotlight. You're a pathetic partisan hack whose party of choice is running a protection racket for rapists. You voted for this lot so you must own these scandals.

One of your better ones. At least 3 or 4 triggers in there.

On a separate note, aside from the appallingly shocking allegations against Cvntface McCvntface, but that the poor woman was 16 at the time? How old was he when he *allegedly anally raped her?

*By allegedly I mean that even though he will deny it, the court of popular opinion and most other human beings with an IQ above 42 won't believe him. And before anyone gets smart, my IQ is above 42.
Working Class Rugger

Post by Working Class Rugger »

SMH saying that Christian Porter is due to address the media. Should that be taken as confirmation that he is in fact the accused?
Working Class Rugger

Clogs wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:55 am
Ali's Choice wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:34 am

One of your better ones. At least 3 or 4 triggers in there.

On a separate note, aside from the appallingly shocking allegations against Cvntface McCvntface, but that the poor woman was 16 at the time? How old was he when he *allegedly anally raped her?

*By allegedly I mean that even though he will deny it, the court of popular opinion and most other human beings with an IQ above 42 won't believe him. And before anyone gets smart, my IQ is above 42.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

He would have been 18. Allegedly.
Farva

Post by Farva »

So it is Porter. No surprises.

Although he said he was 17 at the time of the accusation.
Working Class Rugger

Farva wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:11 am So it is Porter. No surprises.

17/18 really just splitting hairs here.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

So far, it’s the ABC’s fault because the story appeared there first.

Poor Christian just did what he always has and followed the rules, just as Bill Shorten did when he was investigated for the same issue. The clear difference there though was that the media left him alone and allowed the investigation to run whereas now I, poor Christian have been hounded and judged in a trial by media.

An apology and commiserations to the parents and family of the lady at the centre of the case... followed by a tremulous denial and assertion her accusations are false.

A refusal to step down because if I, poor Christian did step down then Australia wouldn’t need an AG anymore due to the trial by media, I the victim here, have been forced to endure.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Working Class Rugger wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:13 am
Farva wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:11 am So it is Porter. No surprises.

17/18 really just splitting hairs here.
Yes, yes he did.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

This is live coverage of a career hurtling into the earth faster than the speed of sound. Christian thinks he can tough this out and return to work after a short break. Deep down though, I think he’s realising as these questions keep coming at him like Mohammed Ali with an angry cat in his shorts, that his dream of being a PM is over. He’s become a human Hindenburg.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

And now a little bit of backgrounding the accuser’s mental state.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

guy smiley wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:34 am This is live coverage of a career hurtling into the earth faster than the speed of sound. Christian thinks he can tough this out and return to work after a short break. Deep down though, I think he’s realising as these questions keep coming at him like Mohammed Ali with an angry cat in his shorts, that his dream of being a PM is over. He’s become a human Hindenburg.
People might have a bit more sympathy if he hadn't made a career of being a Class A Prick
freewheelan

Post by freewheelan »

Pat the Ex Mat wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:04 am
guy smiley wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:34 am This is live coverage of a career hurtling into the earth faster than the speed of sound. Christian thinks he can tough this out and return to work after a short break. Deep down though, I think he’s realising as these questions keep coming at him like Mohammed Ali with an angry cat in his shorts, that his dream of being a PM is over. He’s become a human Hindenburg.
People might have a bit more sympathy if he hadn't made a career of being a Class A Prick
I think that's on the money. He comes across as a soulless, creepy kind of bloke. The sooner he realises his career in politics is over the better.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Indeed.
freewheelan

Post by freewheelan »

Given Porter was the minister responsible for the Robodebt debacle, where many of his and the LNPs victims committed suicide and others went through god only knows what sort of mental torture, he deserves no sympathy, none at all.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

freewheelan wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:24 am Given Porter was the minister responsible for the Robodebt debacle, where many of his and the LNPs victims committed suicide and others went through god only knows what sort of mental torture, he deserves no sympathy, none at all.
None of the current ministry do.

More so considering the number of "Prosperity Christians" among them
Slim 293

Post by Slim 293 »

Oh my, this is actually from the Oz...
Linda Reynolds referred to Brittany Higgins as a ‘lying cow’ in front of staff, after her former media adviser went public about an alleged rape in Parliament House.
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/nation ... 3e89462d91
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Slim 293 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:13 pm Oh my, this is actually from the Oz...
Linda Reynolds referred to Brittany Higgins as a ‘lying cow’ in front of staff, after her former media adviser went public about an alleged rape in Parliament House.
Yep, this is how our govt treats people who claim they have been raped. And posters like Clogs, shanky and Ella Fan cheer them on and celebrate them.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Ali's Choice wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:06 pm
Slim 293 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:13 pm Oh my, this is actually from the Oz...
Yep, this is how our govt treats people who claim they have been raped. And posters like Clogs, shanky and Ella Fan cheer them on and celebrate them.
Onto ignore you go.