Clive Palmer
11%
George Smith
11%

Total votes: 28

Clogs

Re: The Australian Politics Thread

Post by Clogs »

guy smiley wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:34 am You've all ahhhh...

you've all heard the story about the ahhhh... the twerking dance troop the Royal Australian Navy hired to perform at the commissioning of the new HMAS Supply?

That's ah, quite a story :lol:
Looks like the ABC are in a bit of hot water over that 'story'...
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

towny wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:06 am
Pat the Ex Mat wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:56 am
The Optimist wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:44 am
Anyone tell me what Turnball was like as a PM? Wasn't in Australia then, but I like his thinking on some subjects.
He was hamstrung by the party and realistically was never 100% in the game

Much better post-politics
Malcolm was the great white hope. I do agree that the LNP is held hostage by the lunatic fringe, but I feel the same way towards Turnbull as I do to Gillard. Both of them tried to be all things to all people and ended up being sacrificing their principles. Turnbull was the guy that got into politics because he wasn't able to achieve the change he wanted for Australia outside the system - when he got to the top spot he pushed for none of the changes that he joined politics for in the first place.

Gillard and Turnbull are the two big disappointments.
Agree.

Ironically, consdidering his age, early childhood, he is a Blairite.

Should have joined the ALP

Julia Gillard was eaten alive by the factions
Ellafan

Post by Ellafan »

Ali's Choice wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:31 pm

I'd love someone like Sluggy to actually come onto this forum, and argue passionately in favour of Christine Holgate's sacking,
Anthony Albanese said at the time she had to go, you numpty. :lol:
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Ellafan wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:25 am

I'd love someone like Sluggy to actually come onto this forum, and argue passionately in favour of Christine Holgate's sacking,
And he had no idea about what had gone on behind the scenes. This is a govt run business. Your beloved PM demanded Holgate quit during QT in parliament. He told her to go. And you're now blaming the ALP? How pathetic. Take some responsibility for how you vote ffs.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Ali's Choice wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:06 pm

And he had no idea about what had gone on behind the scenes.
Wait what? Albert had no idea what was going on behind the scenes? He was clueless but felt he had to weigh in and agree she had to go? And this is the bloke you feel should be the next leader of Australia? Moronic.
Ellafan

Post by Ellafan »

Ali's Choice wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:06 pm

And he had no idea about what had gone on behind the scenes. This is a govt run business. Your beloved PM demanded Holgate quit during QT in parliament. He told her to go. And you're now blaming the ALP? How pathetic. Take some responsibility for how you vote ffs.
I refuse to lower myself to your picket-line-thug CMFEU brand of name-calling being substituted for actual debate.

Holgate significantly breached the legislation setting executive level CPS remuneration/contracts by corruptly handing out $20k watches - bought with tax payers' money. Your money. My money. She is facing gaol time, and is flailing around making bullying allegations to try and get away with it.

The PM quite rightly acted, and the leader of the opposition quite rightly agreed with him.

[/endof]
Slim 293

Post by Slim 293 »

Ellafan wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:55 pm Holgate significantly breached the legislation setting executive level CPS remuneration/contracts by corruptly handing out $20k watches - bought with tax payers' money. Your money. My money. She is facing gaol time, and is flailing around making bullying allegations to try and get away with it.

A few of the claims in this paragraph alone are not quite factually accurate, but gaol time? :lol:
Brumbie_Steve

Post by Brumbie_Steve »

Not sure that Auspost is run under CPS guidelines. I think it is what they used to call a Corporatised Government Enterprise and as such has some semblance of corporate flexibility in the decision making and financial delegations. This is supposed to enable them to behave more like a privatised entity which of course has very different processes. My understanding is that she actually acted well within the guidelines. If she had breached her authority she would have been summarily dismissed, no requirement for Scotty from marketing to apply the mythical 'Pub Test' under the protection of privilege.
towny

Post by towny »

guy smiley wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:32 am
Ali's Choice wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:27 am Guy Smiley,

It appears Seven are standing by Ben Roberts-Smith

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal ... 57id8.html
Paywalled mate...

but my comment earlier about him being toast was more a reflection of the police actions against him. He's potentially facing some pretty serious charges that, if they stick, will render Seven's support meaningless.
He's done as disco.
GM of Channel 7 - fml. Doesn't Kerry Stokes just love that AJ shit?
Let them stand by him - he'll end up in the big house unless someone serious intervenes in the justice system. And may I add, he will own that big house. Terrifying mofo.
Slim 293

Post by Slim 293 »

towny wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:08 pm

Paywalled mate...

but my comment earlier about him being toast was more a reflection of the police actions against him. He's potentially facing some pretty serious charges that, if they stick, will render Seven's support meaningless.
He's done as disco.
Let them stand by him - he'll end up in the big house unless someone serious intervenes in the justice system. And may I add, he will own that big house. Terrifying mofo.

From a few days ago...
Minority shareholders of the Kerry Stokes-chaired Seven West Media have been kept in the dark about how $1.87 million of company funds was lent to executive Ben Roberts-Smith to fight war crime allegations.

A secret agreement, signed by Mr Stokes’ son Ryan, reveals the shareholder funds were lent to pay Mr Roberts-Smith’s private legal expenses, including for top barristers to contest the grave accusations the ex-soldier faced before Australia’s military watchdog.

The agreement, seen by The Age and The Sydney Morning Herald, gives the first confirmation that Seven West Media – a listed company of which the Stokes family is a majority shareholder – lent shareholder money to Mr Roberts-Smith.

Last June the loan from the listed company was paid by the Stokes family’s private company, ACE, with Kerry and Ryan Stokes agreeing to continue funding the accused war criminal privately because of the “unfairness of your [Mr Roberts-Smith’s] treatment” by the military Inspector-General.
https://www.theage.com.au/national/stok ... 57iia.html
Brumbie_Steve

Post by Brumbie_Steve »

Paywalled mate...

He's done as disco.
Don't want him coming out owning an MC. He certainly isn't an unknown quantity on the two way range.
All this AJ and veteran love being espoused by fuckers that don't have a clue what soldiering is like, I dislike it a lot. The AWM should stay as it is, not expanded.
towny

Post by towny »

Brumbie_Steve wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:21 pm

Paywalled mate...

He's done as disco.
Don't want him coming out owning an MC. He certainly isn't an unknown quantity on the two way range.
All this AJ and veteran love being espoused by fuckers that don't have a clue what soldiering is like, I dislike it a lot. The AWM should stay as it is, not expanded.
Couldn’t agree more.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Ellafan wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:55 pm Holgate significantly breached the legislation setting executive level CPS remuneration/contracts by corruptly handing out $20k watches - bought with tax payers' money. Your money. My money. She is facing gaol time, and is flailing around making bullying allegations to try and get away with it.

The PM quite rightly acted, and the leader of the opposition quite rightly agreed with him.
You're full of shit. Gaol time? Are you trying to be funny?

Morrison's comments demanding Holgate stand aside on the floor of the parliament were atrocious. He was under immense pressure that day because his govt had paid $30 million for a piece of land that was valued at just over $2 million (paid to a long time liberal party donor btw). He was angry, and as he is prone to doing when he is angry, he lashed out. At a woman who had done nothing wrong. Morrison is an incompetent bully and a coward. And you voted for him.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Yup.

shanky

Post by shanky »

Bizarre bit of trivia for you...

BRS brother is an opera singer.

Cultured vs beast, quite the contrast
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Slim 293 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:19 pm

A few of the claims in this paragraph alone are not quite factually accurate, but gaol time? :lol:
He's crossed over into self parody.

I'm lifting a piece from Michelle Grattan in The Conversation where she draws a pretty comprehensive picture of what the Holgate Affair means to the Libs and accountability generally with regard to this government...
Queensland Nationals Senator Matt Canavan, juggling a couple of committee engagements, hadn't planned to attend Tuesday's hearing at which former Australia Post CEO Christine Holgate appeared.
But party elder Ron Boswell was insistent, telling Canavan he must be there, in the room, fighting for Australia Post's small business licensees.
Boswell, himself a former senator, retains one of the best political "noses" in the business. He'd spoken to Canavan soon after the Holgate affair blew up last October, warning the issue was trouble and needed to be fixed.
Canavan was initially sceptical, thinking people would react against the Cartier watches she'd given four executives as a reward for a deal with banks to shore up Post's licensee network.
But he's come round to Boswell's thinking.

Post office fight could pack a punch
The government has been somewhat dismissive of the campaign the licensees have waged in support of Holgate.
But Canavan judges the many small post office businesses in regional areas could pack quite a punch in next year's election campaign if they chose. And in these areas in Queensland the Nationals are competing with One Nation.

At Tuesday's hearing, Canavan wasn't backward. It was he who put to Post's chairman Lucio Di Bartolomeo the pointed question: "Given that, as you say, Miss Holgate has a lot of support amongst your employees and important clients and suppliers, and given that Miss Holgate this morning has called for your resignation, would it not be better for Australia Post if you were to leave now, as well?" It was a reasonable proposition, but the chairman said he wasn't going anywhere.
What has been notable, as Holgate lashed out at Prime Minister Scott Morrison for "bullying" her with his parliamentary tirade and Di Bartolomeo for not backing her, is the breadth of her constituency of support. It includes business figures and respected financial journalists, as well as the licensees.

Morrison's vulnerable spot
With her claim gender was a factor in how she was treated, and the suffragette-white attire, she has now astutely tapped into the new women's movement that's arisen off the back of the Brittany Higgins issue. In doing this, she's hit Morrison where he's particularly vulnerable.
Politically, her advocates stretch from Greens Senator Sarah Hanson-Young to One Nation's Pauline Hanson, who was the moving force behind the Senate inquiry.
The bedfellows might be somewhat uncomfortable with each other, but it's a big bed.
The week left Morrison and the government on the ropes over Holgate's treatment. References to "luxury watches" have lost much of their shock value.
The government can only hope the issue will simply fade with time, as issues do. Except that those small business operators mightn't forget.

A contrast with Higgins
There's an interesting contrast in how Morrison is currently dealing with Higgins, who alleges she was raped by a colleague in a minister's office, and with Holgate.
The PM has reaffirmed he plans to meet Higgins. She's indicated she's not keen on re-entering Parliament House, so he's willing to arrange another venue. He says he's looking forward to hearing what she has to say.

Holgate, who wants an apology from Morrison, this week asked him to call her.
But he rejected that as unnecessary. Outstanding issues are between her and the Post board, he said. That may be true. By the same token, not to make the gesture is discourteous, at the least.
Remember, this was an executive who performed extremely well at Australia Post and who came out of the inquiry into the watches affair with only minor points against her.

Neither Morrison nor the two Australia Post shareholder ministers (Communications Minister Paul Fletcher and then Finance Minister Mathias Cormann) spoke directly to Holgate on October 22, the day Morrison excoriated her in Parliament.
Again, they would say that was a matter for the chairman, and again, they would be technically right. But given the stakes, wouldn't one have thought Fletcher, in particular, might have sought to make direct contact?

The future of Australia Post
Holgate's appearance at the Senate inquiry not only gave a detailed insight into the behind-the-scenes events of that October day, but also revealed some of the arguments that had been going on about the future of Australia Post.

She produced part of a review by consultants BCG the government had commissioned, that canvassed cost-cutting measures and the possible sale of Post's parcel section. She and the management team had pushed back against cutting services and jobs, and opposed divestiture.
So before the watches affair, the government was already — to a greater or lesser extent — irritated by the forceful head of this government business enterprise that some Liberals would like to see part or even fully privatised.
As speculation grew after her evidence about the BCG report, Fletcher on Wednesday said the government had no plans to sell off the parcels service — which performed strongly over the pandemic.

Anyway, probably any attempt to do so would run into vigorous resistance from the Nationals.
The government hasn't released the BCG report. Obviously it canvasses important issues about the business and should be in the public domain.
But who is surprised? It is of a piece with this government's penchant for secrecy, if it can get away with it (not that it's alone among governments here).
It even tried to hold back the report into Holgate and the watches, until public pressure made that

The return of National Cabinet
Further afield, among the advantages, from the government's point of view, of the national cabinet is that much more can be kept "in confidence" than in the old Council of Australian Governments days.

Crossbench senator Rex Patrick has a "test case" in the Administrative Appeals Tribunal for the release of minutes from the national cabinet, which has been crucial in the pandemic decision-making process. Patrick says he "wants to expose the government's secrecy overreach and to open the document vault for others to look in and see".

Morrison this week talked about how Australia Post must be accountable. But his government likes to minimise the extent of its own accountability, especially when awkward issues surface.
It is worth remembering that if we didn't have Senate inquiries like the Holgate one we would get even less information.

Question time, at least in the House of Representatives, has become almost useless as a means of holding the government to account. There is a report imminent from a House committee about how to improve it, but you'd have to be an optimist to see a prospect of qualitative change.
But the Senate committee on COVID, the inquiry into the Holgate affair, and regular estimates hearings on a range of issues, have forced some transparency and accountability.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

shanky wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:35 pm Bizarre bit of trivia for you...

BRS brother is an opera singer.

Cultured vs beast, quite the contrast
:lol: Good trivia :thumbup:
shanky

Post by shanky »

Sco Mo had one job, and he’s ballsed it up.

He might claim that ‘things’ have happened that were beyond his control - but what is the implication of that? That he’s unlucky?

Is that any better than being incompetent?

Perhaps (like Napoleon) we should therefore elect lucky generals to lead us.

Anyone in mind?
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

guy smiley wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:39 pm

I'm lifting a piece from Michelle Grattan in The Conversation where she draws a pretty comprehensive picture of what the Holgate Affair means to the Libs and accountability generally with regard to this government...
Queensland Nationals Senator Matt Canavan, juggling a couple of committee engagements, hadn't planned to attend Tuesday's hearing at which former Australia Post CEO Christine Holgate appeared.
We're in strange times when Matt Coalvan is right :?
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Pat the Ex Mat wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:20 am We're in strange times when Matt Coalvan is right :?
I sat through most of the Tv coverage of Senate Estimates that day (yes I know, it must have been a slow day for me). It was very unusual to see the Greens (Sarah Hanson-Young), National Party (Bridgete McKenzie and Matt Canavan), ALP (Kim Carr and Kitching) and Pauline Hanson all united in their support for Holgate, and united in their condemnation of Lucio Di Bartolomeo and the treatment of Ms Holgate. Only Liberal Senator Sarah Henderson was critical of Holgate, and argued desperately that it was the ALP who were in fact responsible for Scott Morrison's tirade in parliament, and for Paul Fletcher working behind the scenes to force her to stand aside. Interestingly, Ella Fans's comments on this thread mirror Sarah Henderson's comments perfectly.
Last edited by Ali's Choice on Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

shanky wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:06 am Sco Mo had one job, and he’s ballsed it up.

He might claim that ‘things’ have happened that were beyond his control - but what is the implication of that? That he’s unlucky?

Anyone in mind?
A benevolent dictatorship? We could go for that and call the leader the Benevolini. Have a national competition to come up with the best cocktail of that name and just all sit around in the afternoon sun getting pissed and toasting ourselves on our good fortune...

hang on. I'm in NZ. Dammit.
shanky

Post by shanky »

guy smiley wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:35 am
shanky wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:06 am Sco Mo had one job, and he’s ballsed it up.

Anyone in mind?
A benevolent dictatorship? We could go for that and call the leader the Benevolini. Have a national competition to come up with the best cocktail of that name and just all sit around in the afternoon sun getting pissed and toasting ourselves on our good fortune...

hang on. I'm in NZ. Dammit.
I think you're channelling Mat there. He thinks we should be run by wise elders (presumably working in the IT department) who make decisions based on science

(...or whatever technical latest fad is going to look good on their CV - but don't tell him I said that)
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Anyone in mind?
Hang on a minute. His one job is to keep all us Australians safe isn't it? How are we tracking?
wamberal

Post by wamberal »

There is a big splash in today's Oz commemorating the coming end of the Afghanistan shambles. It features photos of our 29 fallen, one of whom is, or was, my neighbour's older son. He left behind a widow and a baby son.

My neighbour and I used to talk a lot, we both used the gym in our building a lot. I still do, but she is working pretty hard and doesn't come in now. The last long conversation we had I told her that her son's name would never be forgotten, it is inscribed at the War Memorial.

I have no opinion about the redevelopment of the War Memorial, other than that is should be basically a national memory of those who fell in battle.
Last edited by wamberal on Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Clogs wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:51 am Hang on a minute. His one job is to keep all us Australians safe isn't it? How are we tracking?
Morrison, like you, squealed like a stuck pig when the states used lockdowns to keep Australians safe. Like you be cried and cried, and tearfully demanded that elderly Australians be sacrificed so that Big business could make more profit. And like you he's now trying to pretend that he supported those lockdowns all along.

PS - as a proud non-voter why do you post so much on a politics thread? You proudly don't participate in the political process.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Ali's Choice wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:54 am
Clogs wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:51 am Hang on a minute. His one job is to keep all us Australians safe isn't it? How are we tracking?
Morrison, like you, squealed like a stuck pig when the states used lockdowns to keep Australians safe. Like you be cried and cried, and tearfully demanded that elderly Australians be sacrificed so that Big business could make more profit. And like you he's now trying to pretend that he supported those lockdowns all along.

PS - as a proud non-voter why do you post so much on a politics thread? You proudly don't participate in the political process.
I enjoy highlighting the irony of supporters from one side claiming the other side are idiots.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Clogs wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:24 am I enjoy highlighting the irony of supporters from one side claiming the other side are idiots.
That's fine. And obviously you're entitled to post on any thread you like. But given you are a proud non-voter, your comments on a political thread read like a virgin posting advice on a sex forum. You have voluntarily excluded yourself from the entire process, but yet you still want to make suggestions at every juncture.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Clogs wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:24 am

I enjoy highlighting the irony of supporters from one side claiming the other side are idiots.
A master stroke then, using idiocy to make your points.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Ali's Choice wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:27 am
Clogs wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:24 am I enjoy highlighting the irony of supporters from one side claiming the other side are idiots.
That's fine. And obviously you're entitled to post on any thread you like. But given you are a proud non-voter, your comments on a political thread read like a virgin posting advice on a sex forum. You have voluntarily excluded yourself from the entire process, but yet you still want to make suggestions at every juncture.
I hate to be the one to point this out to you, but I haven't voluntarily excluded myself from the entire process. On the contrary I have actively participated and demonstrated my objection via the ballot box. My vote is equally as valid as yours is in the process.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

guy smiley wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:31 am

It is the only language you seem to understand.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Clogs wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:36 am
I hate to be the one to point this out to you, but I haven't voluntarily excluded myself from the entire process. On the contrary I have actively participated and demonstrated my objection via the ballot box. My vote is equally as valid as yours is in the process.
You have excluded yourself. By proudly submitting an informal vote you will never, ever contribute to a political solution in Australia. Drawing pictures on your ballot to avoid a $50 fine is not active participation in democracy. Complaining is easy, and that's all you will ever do.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Ali's Choice wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:42 am
You have excluded yourself. By proudly submitting an informal vote you will never, ever contribute to a political solution in Australia. Drawing pictures on your ballot to avoid a $50 fine is not active participation in democracy. Complaining is easy, and that's all you will ever do.
"Political solution"? :lol: :lol:
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Clogs wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:45 am "Political solution"? :lol: :lol:
Said like a true non-voter. You can't even get your head around the fact the voting has consequences.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Entirely your perception.
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

GS - thanks for the article above on accountability (and lack of) across topics and groups).
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

guy smiley wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:56 am

Entirely your perception.
Are we going to have to get a room?
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Ali's Choice wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:47 am
Clogs wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:45 am "Political solution"? :lol: :lol:
Said like a true non-voter. You can't even get your head around the fact the voting has consequences.
And again, I do understand the consequences of voting the way I do. Probably way better than you do.

The % of informal voting has pretty much doubled since the 1980 Federal elections. It is currently above 5% of the national vote tally, and is a trend that will continue to grow. It will eventually force politicians to re-think how they behave if they want to be elected. This is because they are not going to be rewarded for being cvnts. Unfortunately there are rusted on voters that will reward and legitimise cvntish behaviour by both major parties by simply voting for their team.

So yeah, I am quite aware of the consequences of my vote.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Clogs wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:35 am And again, I do understand the consequences of voting the way I do. Probably way better than you do.

The % of informal voting has pretty much doubled since the 1980 Federal elections. It is currently above 5% of the national vote tally, and is a trend that will continue to grow. It will eventually force politicians to re-think how they behave if they want to be elected. This is because they are not going to be rewarded for being cvnts. Unfortunately there are rusted on voters that will reward and legitimise cvntish behaviour by both major parties by simply voting for their team.

This is such a dumb post. You're simply making excuses because you find it easier to complain and moan that actually research about your voting options. The fact that the tiny percentage of donkey voters in Australia has increased over forty years is irrelevant. You have voluntarily removed yourself from our democratic system and worst of all, you think you're terribly clever for doing so.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Ali's Choice wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:44 am
Clogs wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:35 am And again, I do understand the consequences of voting the way I do. Probably way better than you do.

This is such a dumb post. You're simply making excuses because you find it easier to complain and moan that actually research about your voting options. The fact that the tiny percentage of donkey voters in Australia has increased over forty years is irrelevant. You have voluntarily removed yourself from our democratic system and worst of all, you think you're terribly clever for doing so.
Do you know the difference between a donkey vote and an informal vote?
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Clogs wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:58 am Do you know the difference between a donkey vote and an informal vote?
No I didn't until I just looked now. Although some articles on Google still use the terms interchangeably. I think people who do either are idiots. In contrast, you are proud of people of people who vote informally, and you think they are clever.