Clive Palmer
12%
George Smith
12%

Total votes: 25

guy smiley

Re: The Australian Politics Thread

Post by guy smiley »

The Prime Minister for Marketing and Anouncements is trying to frame a Zero Emissions policy aspiration as a resource industry led initiative

link

and with Biden's coming virtual conference on Climate looming, Albo is grabbing the opportunity to land a few easy blows. Australia is vulnerable on climate and could take serious economic damage if a substantial policy isn't forthcoming...
Meanwhile, Liberal MPs representing wealthy Sydney and Melbourne seats fear they will face an electoral backlash, if their party isn't seen to be taking the issue seriously.

As a result, the PM has been pivoting towards the target slowly in an attempt to avoid too much infighting.

In his speech, Mr Morrison even appeared to mock those inner-city voters who have long campaigned for climate action, stating, "we will not achieve net zero in the cafes, dinner parties and wine bars of our inner cities."

He said that net zero will be "won" by the energy, industrial, agriculture, mining and manufacturing sectors, pointing to work BHP, Andrew Forrest and AGL are doing to reduce emissions as examples.

"It will be won in places like the Pilbara, the Hunter, Gladstone, Portland, Whyalla, Bell Bay and the Riverina," he added.

"In the factories of our regional towns and outer suburbs. In the labs of our best research institutes and scientists."

"This is where the road to net zero is being paved in Australia."
Must have enjoyed a bit of mutual fondling with Twiggy after the morning stretches.
"It is time to look at the other side of the coin – the huge potential for clean energy to create hundreds of thousands of secure, well-paid jobs," Mr Albanese will say.

"I am not just talking about jobs for people mining lithium, copper and nickel or those who will transform those materials into batteries."

"I'm talking about a revolution in jobs growth right across the Australian economy based on one inescapable fact – renewable energy is not only clean, but cheap, and getting cheaper."

It is language similar to that used by President Biden, who has sought to sell his climate policies as job creation plans.
Farva

Post by Farva »

He probably should have said FMG but to be fair they have just commissioned a hell of a lot of studies as early stages of kicking off a pretty significant investment in green energy. If they follow through it will be game changing.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Pat the Ex Mat wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:00 am ^ :lol:

I'm furious today - my Vaccination booking for Thursday has been cancelled - because I'm 46, I can't have AZ and there is not enough Pfizer around

No answer as to when they will have supply :frown:
Can't you sign a waiver to have it?

Also, you're eligible for one this early? :shock:
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Farva wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:30 pm He probably should have said FMG but to be fair they have just commissioned a hell of a lot of studies as early stages of kicking off a pretty significant investment in green energy. If they follow through it will be game changing.
Green steel and the associated hydrogen aspirations?

Yeah... that looks good. The Feds are being left behind by industry investment in a few different areas. The states are driving change.
Farva

Post by Farva »

guy smiley wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:56 pm
Farva wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:30 pm He probably should have said FMG but to be fair they have just commissioned a hell of a lot of studies as early stages of kicking off a pretty significant investment in green energy. If they follow through it will be game changing.
Green steel and the associated hydrogen aspirations?

Yeah... that looks good. The Feds are being left behind by industry investment in a few different areas. The states are driving change.
Its huge and its regional too, not just Australia. I'm hoping that it will be the investment needed to get to scale and make green hydrogen commercial.
The Optimist

Post by The Optimist »

ScoMo is such a political whore for fossil fuels. How the fvck did you morons vote him in?!

You should be ashamed of yourselves. Go to the corner and take a long hard look at yourselves!
towny

Post by towny »

guy smiley wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:12 pm The Prime Minister for Marketing and Anouncements is trying to frame a Zero Emissions policy aspiration as a resource industry led initiative

link

and with Biden's coming virtual conference on Climate looming, Albo is grabbing the opportunity to land a few easy blows. Australia is vulnerable on climate and could take serious economic damage if a substantial policy isn't forthcoming...
Meanwhile, Liberal MPs representing wealthy Sydney and Melbourne seats fear they will face an electoral backlash, if their party isn't seen to be taking the issue seriously.

As a result, the PM has been pivoting towards the target slowly in an attempt to avoid too much infighting.

In his speech, Mr Morrison even appeared to mock those inner-city voters who have long campaigned for climate action, stating, "we will not achieve net zero in the cafes, dinner parties and wine bars of our inner cities."

He said that net zero will be "won" by the energy, industrial, agriculture, mining and manufacturing sectors, pointing to work BHP, Andrew Forrest and AGL are doing to reduce emissions as examples.

"It will be won in places like the Pilbara, the Hunter, Gladstone, Portland, Whyalla, Bell Bay and the Riverina," he added.

"In the factories of our regional towns and outer suburbs. In the labs of our best research institutes and scientists."

"This is where the road to net zero is being paved in Australia."
Must have enjoyed a bit of mutual fondling with Twiggy after the morning stretches.
"It is time to look at the other side of the coin – the huge potential for clean energy to create hundreds of thousands of secure, well-paid jobs," Mr Albanese will say.

"I am not just talking about jobs for people mining lithium, copper and nickel or those who will transform those materials into batteries."

"I'm talking about a revolution in jobs growth right across the Australian economy based on one inescapable fact – renewable energy is not only clean, but cheap, and getting cheaper."

It is language similar to that used by President Biden, who has sought to sell his climate policies as job creation plans.
fwiw, I think Australia manufacturing’s emissions has been net zero for years.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Someone must be making something somewhere.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

UncleFB wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:56 pm

I'm furious today - my Vaccination booking for Thursday has been cancelled - because I'm 46, I can't have AZ and there is not enough Pfizer around

Nope, cancellation only.

I have RA and am on immuno-suppresants so I am in group 1B

When I checked again online today, it said there was no Pfizer available.

No way we will hit vaccination targets by Xmas
Farva

Post by Farva »

While I appreciate that Rugby Australia is a pretty diabling organisation, I dont think that will qualify you for an early vaccine, so assume you mean something else?

And regarding Pfizer, if it meant a greater level of opening up, Id be happy to take my chances with AZ.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Pat the Ex Mat wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:39 am
UncleFB wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:56 pm

Nope, cancellation only.

I have RA and am on immuno-suppresants so I am in group 1B

When I checked again online today, it said there was no Pfizer available.

No way we will hit vaccination targets by Xmas
Oh damn, sorry to hear that. Hopefully they sort out Pfizer asap, although I hear they're still vaccinating in the old peoples homes with rather than switching to AZ and releasing Pfizer to others.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

It's not too bad. Plenty worse off

But, ideas extremely annoyed at the "we tried to call you" cancellation....

But really their fault, just the incumbent fuckwits
Last edited by Pat the Ex Mat on Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slim 293

Post by Slim 293 »

Dang, my local GP’s office is offering up the AZ to the 1b crowd as long as you sign a waiver...
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Slim 293 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:29 am Dang, my local GP’s office is offering up the AZ to the 1b crowd as long as you sign a waiver...
A lot aren't - it's a cluster fuck
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Recent Senate Estimates hearings into media diversity have revealed an encouraging determination on the part of two ex PMs to bring NewsCorp to account... both Turnbull and Rudd have been fearlessly outspoken on what they see as the corrosive activities of the media giant. They've been joined by a former director of US national Intelligence, the unfortunately named Jimmy Clapper...link,
In an interview with Guardian Australia, Clapper, a retired lieutenant general in the US air force and the top intelligence official for seven years under former US president Barack Obama, said Fox News was a “megaphone for conspiracies and falsehoods” in America. He said the storming of the US Capitol on 6 January had demonstrated a clear connection between truth decay and the risk of civil disobedience and unrest.

“I have spoken a lot about a phenomenon that is not just in the United States but in other places as well of what the Rand Corporation has very aptly and cleverly called truth decay,” Clapper, who is a CNN analyst, said. “This is the whole business of disregarding facts and objective analysis and empirical data.

“Unfortunately, in this country we’ve fallen into two separate reality bubbles, one of which is fomented and amplified by Fox News.

“Rupert Murdoch and Fox is part of a larger issue we have in this country. To the extent that anyone feeds, amplifies, expands, embellishes truth decay – that is insidious and dangerous to democracy.”

Clapper said his view was an inquiry into the activities of the Murdoch-owned media led by credible people in Australia would be “a good idea for the sake of transparency and objectivity”.
The way I see it, a serious enquiry, most likely a Royal Commission, into NewsCorp is inevitable. The only variable is the length of time it will take for either party to overcome its fear of the beast and confront it, and through that its own demons. A really good move would be an Federal ICAC running concurrently... that would clear out the chookhouse.
kiap

Post by kiap »

Yep, the Brits skewered the dirty ol' carnt and triggered NewsCorp's sell off there. Same needs to happen here.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

guy smiley wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:34 am Recent Senate Estimates hearings into media diversity have revealed an encouraging determination on the part of two ex PMs to bring NewsCorp to account... both Turnbull and Rudd have been fearlessly outspoken on what they see as the corrosive activities of the media giant. They've been joined by a former director of US national Intelligence, the unfortunately named Jimmy Clapper...link,
In an interview with Guardian Australia, Clapper, a retired lieutenant general in the US air force and the top intelligence official for seven years under former US president Barack Obama, said Fox News was a “megaphone for conspiracies and falsehoods” in America. He said the storming of the US Capitol on 6 January had demonstrated a clear connection between truth decay and the risk of civil disobedience and unrest.

“I have spoken a lot about a phenomenon that is not just in the United States but in other places as well of what the Rand Corporation has very aptly and cleverly called truth decay,” Clapper, who is a CNN analyst, said. “This is the whole business of disregarding facts and objective analysis and empirical data.

“Unfortunately, in this country we’ve fallen into two separate reality bubbles, one of which is fomented and amplified by Fox News.

“Rupert Murdoch and Fox is part of a larger issue we have in this country. To the extent that anyone feeds, amplifies, expands, embellishes truth decay – that is insidious and dangerous to democracy.”

Clapper said his view was an inquiry into the activities of the Murdoch-owned media led by credible people in Australia would be “a good idea for the sake of transparency and objectivity”.
The way I see it, a serious enquiry, most likely a Royal Commission, into NewsCorp is inevitable. The only variable is the length of time it will take for either party to overcome its fear of the beast and confront it, and through that its own demons. A really good move would be an Federal ICAC running concurrently... that would clear out the chookhouse.
Can you see the Libs allowing it?
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Clogs wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:16 am Can you see the Libs allowing it?
Will never happen as long as the Libs are in govt. The Federal Coalition are the political wing of News Ltd.
Farva

Post by Farva »

The reality is the NewsCorp are operating in a monopolistic way - they have a greater than 50% media penetration and ownership and are using it to manipulate public opinion for their gain. We have processes for this that are external to politics. Surely the ACCC could require them to break up - it wont be the first time this has been done and its the reason for anti-monopoly legislation.
Sensible Stephen

Post by Sensible Stephen »

Good news everybody.

Melbourne is gearing up to manufacture the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines locally.

They will be ready to start producing them in 12 months time.

Huzzah!

:| :((

Yeah, yeah, good if we need booster shots going forward.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

And to add to not getting the vaccine, I have a bloody cold! x(

Actually an odd experience having not had one for 18 months
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

jambanja

Post by jambanja »

guy smiley wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:11 am Image
:lol:
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Interesting to see the Federal Government have torn up Dan's deals with China.
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

Let’s face it - Dan didn’t really get drunk and fall down his stairs. He living in a trunk dressed as a gimp at Duttons place, being minded by Christian Porter.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

It's about to get very hot in the kitchen for Morrison and the Coalition...

tonight's virtual climate conference is going to ask some hard questions around serious emissions policy and the lack of anything like that from Australia is about to bite on international markets.
The Biden administration official, speaking on condition of anonymity, repeated an acknowledgment by its climate envoy, John Kerry, that the US and Australia have “differences” on climate policy.

They said it was an “open question” for Australia how it could turn what has been “a very difficult political conversation in the country” to an approach consistent with the global agenda on the climate crisis.

“I think our colleagues in Australia recognise that there’s going to have to be a shift,” the official said. “It’s insufficient to follow the existing trajectory and hope that they will be on a course to deep decarbonisation and getting to net zero emissions by mid-century.”

The official said the differences between the two countries were mostly about emissions reduction trajectory and “how do you get on it”. Where Australia’s approach was “don’t worry, technology will solve the problem”, the others believed technology would contribute but was insufficient on its own. The official described the second view as “you have to have a set of policies; you have to have national intent; you have to follow up with actions and commitments”.

“We are hopeful [Morrison] will come to the summit and make announcements around both and commit the country to next steps that we think would be critical,” the official said. “We certainly see them as a strong ally, an ally in technology development, but also an ally in the opportunities for policy development … We see enormous potential for joint work between our two countries and have a long history of cooperation.”

Australia is not expected to make any new commitments about emissions reduction targets at the summit even though there is increasing pressure on the Coalition from business and investors to adopt a net zero target by 2050 and to beef up medium-term emissions reduction targets ahead of the Cop26 conference in Glasgow in November.
Morrison will dither and blather while doing nothing and then suddenly realise there's a cost involved when other countries apply financial carbon penalties.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Even Albert wants nothing to do with Dan's dealings with China.

https://amp-theage-com-au.cdn.ampprojec ... 57lce.html
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Christine Holgate's taking the government to court.
Holgate has engaged top reputational risk lawyer Rebekah Giles and barrister Arthur Moses, who have invited Australia Post, communications minister Paul Fletcher and finance minister Simon Birmingham to mediation.

Holgate is eyeing potential claims beyond the breach of contract she alleges against her employer, including negligence, tortious interference in contractual relations and defamation – although she is seeking a settlement to avoid litigation.
Of course, AusPost and the government will argue that she tendered her resignation... but she has a case for bullying and I read an interesting take on this the other day suggesting she had a rock solid case for 'constructive dismissal'...
Prime Minister Scott Morrison will be the star witness in any legal proceedings former Australia Post Christine Holgate could institute at any time against Australia Post and the federal government for her constructive dismissal. The videos below with admissions by Scott Morrison and Australia Post chairman Lucio Di Bartolomeo about who decided to get rid of Christina Holgate and the manner it was done show that Holgate would have an open and shut case for “constructive dismissal”.
The evidence for a constructive dismissal claim is so watertight, and it’s all on video, that Scott Morrison and Australia Post would have no choice but to settle any reasonable claim that Christine Holgate is likely to institute once the Senate inquiry publishes their findings.
A quick overview of what a Constructive Dismissal is as per Wikipedia:
In employment law, constructive dismissal, also called constructive discharge or constructive termination, occurs when an employee resigns as a result of the employer creating a hostile work environment. Since the resignation was not truly voluntary, it is, in effect, a termination. For example, when an employer places extraordinary and unreasonable work demands on an employee to obtain their resignation, this can constitute a constructive dismissal.
The exact legal consequences differ between different countries, but generally a constructive dismissal leads to the employee’s obligations ending and the employee acquiring the right to make claims against the employer.
The employee may resign over a single serious incident or over a pattern of incidents. Generally, a party seeking relief must have resigned soon after one of the constructive acts.
Scott Morrison said, very aggressively, that Christine Holgate had been instructed to stand aside or she can go and that it did not matter if she wished to stand aside or not because she had been instructed to. But the Australia Post Chairman told the Senate last week (13/4/21) “In his statements and evidence before the Senate committee on Tuesday, Di Bartolomeo maintained Holgate agreed to stand aside while an investigation was carried out.” which contradicts the video evidence of Scott Morrison above saying that Christine Holgate was not given a choice about whether to stand aside but she was instructed to stand aside or “she can go” which means she would have been sacked if she hadn’t stood aside.

Oh, and George Christensen isn't going to stand for re-election.
grievous

Post by grievous »

Pat the Ex Mat wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:46 pm
grievous wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:24 pm

But the they didn't ask Gerard Henderson back? :lol:
He retired.

The panel is usually 2/3rds right-wing nowadays.
No he wasn't asked back, look it up.
Right wing? WFT are you watching?
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

grievous wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:27 pm

He retired.

Um, I follow Insiders on Facebook and chat about the panel every week
grievous

Post by grievous »

Pat the Ex Mat wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:47 pm

He retired.

So list the last 2/3 rw panel for sundays in April so far.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

grievous wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:08 am
Pat the Ex Mat wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:47 pm

He retired.

So list the last 2/3 rw panel for sundays in April so far.
Well last week was Phil Coorey from the AFR and Rosie Lewis from The Australian. Whilst neither are Andrew Bolt-esque right wingers, they both definitely right leaning and have always been very supportive of the Coalition. That's two thirds right-wing, or really three quarters when you include the host Speers who famously referred to the Coalition as "we" during coverage of the last Federal election.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

A fortnight earlier Insider's featured Jennifer Hewett from the AFR (one of the most conservative journalists in Australia) and News Ltd's Niki Savaa. Two thirds right wing, or three quarters if you include the host Speers.
Slim 293

Post by Slim 293 »

Rosie Lewis used to be a regular contributor to Peta Credlin's show...
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

Interesting exchange between NZ foreign minister, Nanaia Mahuta, and her Australian counterpart, Marise Payne, yesterday. This from Marise Payne:
"We both now acknowledge that the case now has a number of complexities and we will work through those issues in the spirit of this important and deep bilateral relationship - closest of bilateral relationships - particularly in relation to matters concerning children.
They had been asked about Australian jihadi bride Suhayra Aden and her two children. The language from Payne was a lot more thoughtful and conciliatory than what we've heard recently from Australia. It's like they suddenly sat down to think about the actual human beings in the equation.

There's always a first time, I suppose.

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/politics ... rness.html
Farva

Post by Farva »

Joint statement made by Payne and Mahuta followed shortly after:
"We both now acknowledge that Muttonbird is a plum"
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

Cute.

I imagine Marise Payne was well impressed by Nanaia Mahuta and the way we do things in New Zealand.

Genuine question: How many indigenous Australians have reached cabinet, let alone a ministerial position?
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Ali's Choice wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:34 am A fortnight earlier Insider's featured Jennifer Hewett from the AFR (one of the most conservative journalists in Australia) and Neaws Ltd's Niki Savaa. Two thirds right wing, or three quarters if you include the host Speers.
:lol:
The Optimist

Post by The Optimist »