Clive Palmer
17%
George Smith
6%

Total votes: 18

towny

Re: Ozzie election thread mk II

Post by towny »

Farva wrote:For those of us who are normal, can someone please explain what we are talking about.
Maybe complete the following sentence that I can use with authority:

"My mate works in IT and he reckons that the coalition broadband plan is ... and the ALP one is ..."

this.
_fatprop

Post by _fatprop »

towny wrote:
Farva wrote:For those of us who are normal, can someone please explain what we are talking about.

"My mate works in IT and he reckons that the coalition broadband plan is ... and the ALP one is ..."

this.

Here is a start ... .. .

coalition broadband plan is not as good a system, but cheaper to implement and quicker to deliver while the ALP plan is better, but more expensive and will take longer to implement
Mat the Expat

Post by Mat the Expat »

towny wrote:

this.

It's already been explained. The both of you are supposed to be Engineers/High powered corporate aces and you can't figure it out? :blush: :lol:
Mat the Expat

Post by Mat the Expat »

_fatprop wrote:
towny wrote:

this.

Here is a start ... .. .

coalition broadband plan is not as good a system, but cheaper to implement and quicker to deliver while the ALP plan is better, but more expensive and will take longer to implement

But it demonstrably isn't cheaper over 15 years.

Fibre all the way is good for 100+ years.
Farva

Post by Farva »

Mat the Expat wrote:
towny wrote:

this.

It's already been explained. The both of you are supposed to be Engineers/High powered corporate aces and you can't figure it out? :blush: :lol:

I am a civil engineer. Give me the backfill detail and the bending radius and I'll get it in the ground for you.
Dont ask me how it works though.
Mat the Expat

Post by Mat the Expat »

Farva wrote:
I am a civil engineer. Give me the backfill detail and the bending radius and I'll get it in the ground for you.
Dont ask me how it works though.

Hmmn, the other Engineers on the bored claim "proper" Engineers are omnipotent...... :D

You know enough about Project Management/Carpentry to know that you measure twice, cut once.

The Liberals plan is a band-aid that will involve re-trenching and removing the Copper from the Node to the Home. Also, the ugly Nodes will be cropping up on every street corner
Zeitgeist

Post by Zeitgeist »

Can someone please clarify for me...

The Libs' NBN will provide FTTN as a backfill project to established residential areas. New areas/subdivisions/estates will all get FTTP. Business and administrative centres will also get FTTP.

FTTP will be available to any premises as an extension from the FTTN on a user pays principle under the Lib NBN.

Download speeds will be similar on both NBNs. Initially anyway. The FTTP scenario, however, is more likely to provide higher speeds in the future. The Coalition's NBN plan doesn't include upload speeds for some reason.

The super dooper speeds will be available on either NBN as a high subscriber cost option. The very high speeds may be available, but I might not be able to afford them. The Lib's NBN is likely to be more affordable to the subscriber.

Is that about right? Genuine question.
jaymon112

Post by jaymon112 »

Mat the Expat wrote:
_fatprop wrote:
towny wrote:

this.

Here is a start ... .. .

But it demonstrably isn't cheaper over 15 years.

Fibre all the way is good for 100+ years

I'm not an IT wiz, but is that the same as Cable Internet now?
kiap

Post by kiap »

jaymon112 wrote:
Mat the Expat wrote:Fibre all the way is good for 100+ years.

I'm not an IT wiz, but is that the same as Cable Internet now?

No. Cable (as per Optus and the others) is HFC - (Hybrid Fibre and Coaxial cable network).

The final connection to the premises is coaxial cable. It's shielded wire, not glass fibre. Doesn't support the high data rates that fibre can, particularly in the upload direction.
6roucho

Post by 6roucho »

Zeitgeist wrote:Can someone please clarify for me...

The Libs' NBN will provide FTTN as a backfill project to established residential areas. New areas/subdivisions/estates will all get FTTP. Business and administrative centres will also get FTTP.

FTTP will be available to any premises as an extension from the FTTN on a user pays principle under the Lib NBN.

Download speeds will be similar on both NBNs. Initially anyway. The FTTP scenario, however, is more likely to provide higher speeds in the future. The Coalition's NBN plan doesn't include upload speeds for some reason.

The super dooper speeds will be available on either NBN as a high subscriber cost option. The very high speeds may be available, but I might not be able to afford them. The Lib's NBN is likely to be more affordable to the subscriber.

Is that about right? Genuine question.

The underlined part isn't possible. FTTN and FTTH are fundamentally different designs: in FTTH the fiber is run from the home to the exchange. Politicians speak airily about running the "last 10 meters" from the node but that's smoke and mirrors. You'd have to wire up whole streets, the way NBN is currently being done.

Download speeds will be substantially slower for most users of the Telstra copper network compared to fiber. This mainly depends on how far they are from the new nodes: it could be as low as 1mbps. I got 1Mbps on Telstra copper in Brisbane 1.5 km from the node.

Many people simply won't have access to fast broadband, including virtually everyone in regional Australia.
_fatprop

Post by _fatprop »

QLD now thinks Abbott is more trustworthy than Rudd :shock:

Taffia

Post by Taffia »

http://nbnmyths.wordpress.com/

This site answers a lot of the issues in easily understood terms.

The NBN is currently active and running within 1km from my house but not looking like my street will start having the fiber laid till the end of the month. I am gonna be fkin livid if it changes from FTTH to FTTN after this election.

http://www.whistleout.com.au/Broadband is an awesome website that gives details of all the plans from providers that are available in your area as it comes online. I am currently forced to pay $19 a month to Telstra for line rental even though I'm not a customer of theirs, I dont even have a home phone number but that is Telstra's policy where they own the copper and refuse ISP's to provide naked lines.
Mat the Expat

Post by Mat the Expat »

Zeitgeist wrote:Download speeds will be similar on both NBNs. Initially anyway. The FTTP scenario, however, is more likely to provide higher speeds in the future. The Coalition's NBN plan doesn't include upload speeds for some reason.

Nope, The Liberal's ideas of speed are at the very limit of DSL on pure copper less than 2Km from an exchange.

Most houses are over that distance and at the end of 60 year old copper runs that are corroded.

The max speed will be lucky to be over 10Mbs with only 1Mbs upload which is shit for home businesses.
6roucho

Post by 6roucho »

Mat the Expat wrote:
Zeitgeist wrote:Download speeds will be similar on both NBNs. Initially anyway. The FTTP scenario, however, is more likely to provide higher speeds in the future. The Coalition's NBN plan doesn't include upload speeds for some reason.

Nope, The Liberal's ideas of speed are at the very limit of DSL on pure copper less than 2Km from an exchange.

Most houses are over that distance and at the end of 60 year old copper runs that are corroded.

The max speed will be lucky to be over 10Mbs with only 1Mbs upload which is shit for home businesses.

With Telstra it's not just corrosion but noise due to old connections. My unhappy experience with them was that I had noise between the junction box and my home that they couldn't fix in 2 years there. Sometimes the noise would fade and I'd get 3Mbps, but when it came back I'd get a third of that. No one in their right mind would use the Telstra copper network for critical national infrastructure. It's an idea that politicians came up with for wedging purposes.
Mat the Expat

Post by Mat the Expat »

6roucho wrote:No one in their right mind would use the Telstra copper network for critical national infrastructure. It's an idea that politicians came up with for wedging purposes.

:(
Zeitgeist

Post by Zeitgeist »

6roucho wrote:
Mat the Expat wrote:

With Telstra it's not just corrosion but noise due to old connections. My unhappy experience with them was that I had noise between the junction box and my home that they couldn't fix in 2 years there. Sometimes the noise would fade and I'd get 3Mbps, but when it came back I'd get a third of that. No one in their right mind would use the Telstra copper network for critical national infrastructure. It's an idea that politicians came up with for wedging purposes.

So the Libs' promise of a minimum 25Mbps is bullshit?

Mat the Expat

Post by Mat the Expat »

Zeitgeist wrote:So the Libs' promise of a minimum 25Mbps is bullshit?

Nice and balanced figures for the Labor rollout there............. :roll:
6roucho

Post by 6roucho »

Yes, bullshit. Not remotely technically possible using the Telstra copper network.
Mat the Expat

Post by Mat the Expat »

Also, the NBN is likely to hit 1 GBps as soon as it's installed for most people.
Taffia

Post by Taffia »

Zeitgeist wrote:
6roucho wrote:
Mat the Expat wrote:

So the Libs' promise of a minimum 25Mbps is bullshit?

I'd have more chance of f**king Taylor Swift up the arse tonight than the Coalition have of providing a minimum of 25mb/s on their abortion of an NBN . It really is a Frankenstein of a setup, akin to buying a Ferrari and placing a Lada engine in it!

Seriously how the fudge they havent been called to task on it amazes me, the only reason I can think of would be Rupert protecting his Foxtel monopoly . NBN fiber would also be able to provide a full cable TV service at the same time as internet without any slowdown whatsoever. In fact when I left the UK over 8 years ago I had just that setup , unlimited download internet at 25mb/s (networked through my attic into nextdoor so that he could also share my connection) plus NTL cable TV. The two of us could spend all day downloading stuff and neither would notice.

If the Libs policy is actually implemented, history will look back at it as a national crime and one that will cost billions more at a later date to fix. :blush:
towny

Post by towny »

So....

the ALP NBN is apparently going to cost over $90B?

is that the most expensive communications infrastructure program of all time? Could it have possibly been done cheaper... as it was allegedly first promised?
Last edited by towny on Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mat the Expat

Post by Mat the Expat »

Taffia wrote:If the Libs policy is actually implemented, history will look back at it as a national crime and one that will cost billions more at a later date to fix. :blush:

Akin to building this instead of the Harbour Bridge:

Taffia

Post by Taffia »

towny wrote:So....

the ALP NBN is apparently going to cost over $90B?

is that the most expensive infrastructure program of all time? Could it have possibly been done cheaper... as it was allegedly first promised?

erm $90bn ....lol

1. The NBN will cost taxpayers 50/70/90/100 billion dollars. We can’t afford it and it’s uncosted

False

The total capital cost of the NBN is budgeted at $37.4 billion dollars. Of that, the government investment is set at $30.4 billion. The remainder will come from revenue and NBN Co’s private debt. Unlike most Government expendiature though, the NBN is forecast to return all of the Government funds, plus interest, by 2034. It is forecast to begin repaying the Government funds in 2020.[1]

The $50 billion figure often quoted by Malcolm Turnbull is deceptive. It’s a “rounded up” number achieved by adding the NBN capital cost ($37.4bn), together with the payments to be made over time to Telstra for the leasing of their pit, pole and exchange network ($11bn). However, these payments to Telstra are operating expenses, which are paid from the revenue of the NBN. They take place gradually over its lifetime and do not add anything to the Government or debt funding required to build the NBN. Claiming they should be included in the cost of building the network would be akin to adding the cost of electricity to run the Opera House for 30 years to its build cost.

The project has been fully studied and costed by NBN Co and respected independent firms. The 2010 KPMG-McKinsey NBN Implementation Study found that the network could be built for $42.8bn (this was prior to the Telstra deal), would not have any net cost to the Government and would have an estimated net value of $40bn in 2025, earning a return on investment (ROI) of 6-7%, which is more than enough to repay the debt and equity used to build the project.[2] The NBN Corporate Plan has also been independently analysed by respected global corporate advisor Greenhill-Caliburn, which found the revenue and cost projections in the business case were reasonable.[3]
towny

Post by towny »

Thanks Taffia!! I appreciate your patience.

:thumbup:
6roucho

Post by 6roucho »

Taffia, the more I think about it the more I'm convinced it won't happen. It's alright to pretend to build 60,000 new nodes to service the Telstra network when you're in opposition, but it'd be rank stupidity to actually do it in office.

And it's easy for Coalition voters to pretend to support it during an election campaign, but there'd be a political firestorm if they really thought it was going to provide their Internet for the foreseeable future. It's like the emperor's new clothes: they're not allowed to dsay so, for the moment. This is especially true in the regions.

Everyone except Rupert Murdoch (who worries about it being for television) and Tony Abbott (who thinks it's for entertainment) wants feasible fast broadband for the nation, and the fiber network is the only way to do it.

What'll happen is that the Coalition will re-brand it and claim it as their own idea, compared to that wasteful shibboleth that was called the NBN during the Labor years.
Last edited by 6roucho on Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mat the Expat

Post by Mat the Expat »

towny wrote:Thanks Taffia!! I appreciate your patience.

:thumbup:

:roll:
Taffia

Post by Taffia »

6roucho wrote:Taffia, the more I think about it the more I'm convinced it won't happen. It's alright to pretend to build 60,000 new nodes to service the Telstra network when you're in opposition, but it'd be rank stupidity to actually do it in office.

And it's easy for Coalition voters to pretend to support it during an election campaign, but there'd be a political firestorm if they really thought it was going to provide their Internet for the foreseeable future. It's like the emperor's new clothes: they're not allowed to dsay so, for the moment. This is especially true in the regions.

Everyone except Rupert Murdoch (who worries about it being for television) and Tony Abbott (who thinks it's for entertainment) wants feasible fast broadband for the nation, and the fiber network is the only way to do it.

What'll happen is that the Coalition will re-brand it and claim it as their own idea, compared to that wasteful shibboleth that was called the NBN during the Labor years.

I was originally of the same thinking Groucho, unfortunately I am seriously starting to believe that Rupert and a few other luddites are sponsoring its demise due to protecting their current interests.

I honestly couldnt give 2 fucks about the majority of either sides policies because a lot of them are almost identical in their conception and aims. The NBN, however, for me is the big one. Look around this country and you see mismanaged and failed infrastructure projects everywhere, costing billions every year in either maintenance or improvements.

The time has come for someone to step up and actually implement something correctly for a change that will serve for the next generation and more than likely many generations after it .

I either read or heard somewhere recently that a huge opportunity exists right now, due to extremely low government borrowing interest rates that are available, to start building some huge infrastructure projects that will have decent ROI's . ie the M2 to F3 tunnel, cost at around $5 bn, tolls would have it paid off in no time plus it remains government owned and not privately invested in.
kiap

Post by kiap »

Taffia wrote:NBN fiber would also be able to provide a full cable TV service at the same time as internet without any slowdown whatsoever. In fact when I left the UK over 8 years ago I had just that setup , unlimited download internet at 25mb/s (networked through my attic into nextdoor so that he could also share my connection) plus NTL cable TV.

Taffia, what technology was your connection in the UK?

BTW, I used to work for NTL (back in the high riding days before they went bust and were broken up and sold off). What a pack of shonks they were. ;)
Taffia

Post by Taffia »

kiap wrote:
Taffia wrote:NBN fiber would also be able to provide a full cable TV service at the same time as internet without any slowdown whatsoever. In fact when I left the UK over 8 years ago I had just that setup , unlimited download internet at 25mb/s (networked through my attic into nextdoor so that he could also share my connection) plus NTL cable TV.

BTW, I used to work for NTL (back in the high riding days before they went bust and were broken up and sold off). What a pack of shonks they were. ;)

Pretty certain mine wasnt DOCSIS but FTTH as I lived in a new housing estate and the node was actually 20 metres from my front door. My neighbour who I shared my connection with actually moved to the UK from Canada to work for Virgin net in a fairly high position, so would commute from Cardiff to London 3 days a week by train.

I had no issues with NTL ever and was surprised that they ended up merging to become part of Virgin.

As an aside, I think it may have been back in 2002-4 I attended a Lan party weekend at Newbury racecourse for a weekend of gaming. BT provided a 1gb connection for that weekend and it was possible to download full DVD's, through my newsgroup reader, in under 6 seconds, which were then passed over the Lan to others and burnt to DVD. I went there to play Counterstrike and instead ended up burning around 300+ DVD's in 72 hours :lol:
6roucho

Post by 6roucho »

kiap wrote:

Shonks they are. I was once involved in a project to sell them a PDA-based engineering system: engineers would go round and use the GPS and camera on the device to capture details of assets, the kind of stuff that's common in iPhones now. We failed to make the sale but a very similar system subsequently appeared from in-house.
Burke's Boot

Post by Burke's Boot »

6roucho wrote:
kiap wrote:

Shonks they are. I was once involved in a project to sell them a PDA-based engineering system: engineers would go round and use the GPS and camera on the device to capture details of assets, the kind of stuff that's common in iPhones now. We failed to make the sale but a very similar system subsequently appeared from in-house.

Nice.
kiap

Post by kiap »

Taffia wrote:Pretty certain mine wasnt DOCSIS but FTTH as I lived in a new housing estate and the node was actually 20 metres from my front door. My neighbour who I shared my connection with actually moved to the UK from Canada to work for Virgin net in a fairly high position, so would commute from Cardiff to London 3 days a week by train.

I had no issues with NTL ever and was surprised that they ended up merging to become part of Virgin.

As an aside, I think it may have been back in 2002-4 I attended a Lan party weekend at Newbury racecourse for a weekend of gaming. BT provided a 1gb connection for that weekend and it was possible to download full DVD's, through my newsgroup reader, in under 6 seconds, which were then passed over the Lan to others and burnt to DVD. I went there to play Counterstrike and instead ended up burning around 300+ DVD's in 72 hours :lol:

Good service. I'd like those speeds now but still only really get them at the office. FTTP is the way to go from here.

ntl (they had the kd lang lowercase thing going on for a while) were probably the same as most telcos from the customer viewpoint - mostly not too bad; some fuckups. But they overextended on acquisitions and crashed. My boss thought he was going to retire :lol: when the NYSE price went over 100 bucks but he didn't get to exercise those options before they dropped below a dollar and the corporation was delisted ... Always get paid in cash.

6roucho wrote:Shonks they are. I was once involved in a project to sell them a PDA-based engineering system: engineers would go round and use the GPS and camera on the device to capture details of assets, the kind of stuff that's common in iPhones now. We failed to make the sale but a very similar system subsequently appeared from in-house.

That's pure greed. I've seen similar things. Doesn't surprise me.
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

Farva wrote:
Mat the Expat wrote:
towny wrote:

this.

I am a civil engineer.

Onto the Proven Liars list you uncivil sod. (Who maintains the Proven Liars list - AC ?)
grievous

Post by grievous »

kiap wrote:

I had NTL but all providers are the same now, useless unless you dont have a fault and keep having your account paid by auto debit
Slim 293

Post by Slim 293 »

Zeitgeist wrote:Image

Wasn't this the graph supplied by the Coalition and printed in Murdoch's papers as their own analysis?

:lol:
6roucho

Post by 6roucho »

That infographic makes no sense at all. We already have 100mbps in some places. It must therefore mean that the coalition is promising a minimum of 50mbps everywhere by 2019 using a cobbled-together network of cable, wireless, fiber and copper. How? I can't believe they print this garbage on a matter of vital national interest.
Mat the Expat

Post by Mat the Expat »

kiap wrote:Good service. I'd like those speeds now but still only really get them at the office. FTTP is the way to go from here.

You'd struggle to get 1 Gbps in most offices unless it's a bank.

It's prohibitively expensive. That's why the NBN is good for business as well
kiap

Post by kiap »

Mat the Expat wrote:
kiap wrote:Good service. I'd like those speeds now but still only really get them at the office. FTTP is the way to go from here.

You'd struggle to get 1 Gbps in most offices unless it's a bank.

It's prohibitively expensive. That's why the NBN is good for business as well

No, my present office is more humble than that. I was referring to his FTTH service.
kiap

Post by kiap »

6roucho wrote:Shonks they are. I was once involved in a project to sell them a PDA-based engineering system: engineers would go round and use the GPS and camera on the device to capture details of assets, the kind of stuff that's common in iPhones now. We failed to make the sale but a very similar system subsequently appeared from in-house.

Hopefully at least they didn't take your whole business. Saw a few companies of around the 50-100 employee size get hollowed out. They were successful, but allowed themselves to become too dependent on the one big client that wanted to expand. It's not that hard if the top two or three key personnel can be bought out. Licencing and distribution agreements be damned, a back door deal with equipment suppliers shipped via a third country, and then cherry-pick the remaining staff and sub-contractors as it goes down. As long as the order numbers are large enough, the vendor suppliers don't care.
grievous

Post by grievous »

Abbott threatening the Greens, nay the nation with a double dissolution if scrapping the carbon tax is blocked by them.
Dangerous man.