15%
George Smith
15%

Total votes: 20

ElementFreak

Re: The Australian Politics Thread

Post by ElementFreak »

Sensible Stephen wrote:
wamberal99 wrote:So we don't need to "catastrophise" things now (is there such a word): we have to wait until there is a real catastrophe.

Fark me. The yokels are running things.
They are a disgrace. Nero watching Rome burn etc. Fuk them.
I am still amazed that these fucknuckles got elected.
wamberal99

Post by wamberal99 »

Pat the Ex Mat wrote:McCormack is definitely a dead politician walking

Better than Barnaby, shirley.
Sensible Stephen

Post by Sensible Stephen »

ElementFreak wrote:
Sensible Stephen wrote:
wamberal99 wrote:So we don't need to "catastrophise" things now (is there such a word): we have to wait until there is a real catastrophe.

So was I after the whole Dutton failed coup thing.

Problem is Labor is piss weak with crap politicians too. We need some fresh, talented blood in parliament.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

wamberal99 wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:McCormack is definitely a dead politician walking

Better than Barnaby, shirley.
For us maybe but he is hated by his constituents - did you not see him get told to grow a spine by farmers?

Joyce had them in his hand
Taranaki Snapper

Post by Taranaki Snapper »

Sensible Stephen wrote:Problem is Labor is piss weak with crap politicians too. We need some fresh, talented blood in parliament.
Young Turks...or Year Zero, Khmer Rouge style?

Last edited by Taranaki Snapper on Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Optimist

Post by The Optimist »

I don't return to Oz often, but watching these fat ancient talking heads on every channel say it is too early to blame climate change, the jury is out, we should leave it to the experts... da fcuk Australia?!! When did these fat old whores take over Australia, Bolt, Jones, Kenny, Izzy? Bunch of old farts, spouting christian values!!!!
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

The Optimist wrote:I don't return to Oz often, but watching these fat ancient talking heads on every channel say it is too early to blame climate change, the jury is out, we should leave it to the experts... da fcuk Australia?!! When did these fat old whores take over Australia, Bolt, Jones, Kenny, Izzy? Bunch of old farts, spouting christian values!!!!
Segued in around 2002/3

It's like and infestation
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

Sensible Stephen wrote:
ElementFreak wrote:
Sensible Stephen wrote:

Problem is Labor is piss weak with crap politicians too. We need some fresh, talented blood in parliament.
I'm easily pleased. Blood in Parliament - litre upon litre - would be sufficient.
6.Jones

Post by 6.Jones »

Sensible Stephen wrote:
ElementFreak wrote:
Sensible Stephen wrote:

So true. When I look at TV panel shows I often think 'that person should in politics' but what force is going to get them there? Politics is like a lower-middle-management convention micromanaged by zealots.
6.Jones

Post by 6.Jones »

MungoMan wrote:
Sensible Stephen wrote:
ElementFreak wrote:
Sensible Stephen wrote:

I'm easily pleased. Blood in Parliament - litre upon litre - would be sufficient.
It's usually conservatives who want fresh blood. Old, wrinkled conservatives. The Tories in Britain.
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

Folks.

What is needed to trigger a motion of no confidence in the House of Representatives?

And is it likely following the latest events?
Bindi

Post by Bindi »

iarmhiman wrote:Folks.

What is needed to trigger a motion of no confidence in the House of Representatives?

And is it likely following the latest events?
No. Unless Murdoch turns on the government, they're fine.
wamberal99

Post by wamberal99 »

Bindi wrote:

Not necessarily. The Oz is starting to make slow, tentative steps, towards a more rational stance on climate change.

The ALP has won government before in the face of opposition from Newscorpse, and they can do it again, especially if Uncle Rupert decides to be a bit less aggressive.

If the science is correct, things are going to continue to deteriorate. Even our age's Midas will get swept away, and he is smart enough to know that (as are his kiddies).
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

The climate has been particularly weird this year.

Positive IOD this year . If that becomes a negative spring 2020 along with an La Nina and negative SAM then there could be flooding next Spring. It often happen where extreme drought is followed by too much rain a year later
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

Re Scummo: if the US is in truth claiming credit for killing Iranian Quds Force boss Qassem Suleimani (plus sundry Iraqi figures), will he be smart enough to stfu?

I just have to think that right now would be an epically shite time to second-hand sabre rattle, pledge support to the US fight against global nastiness etc etc.
6.Jones

Post by 6.Jones »

wamberal99 wrote:
Bindi wrote:

Not necessarily. The Oz is starting to make slow, tentative steps, towards a more rational stance on climate change.

The ALP has won government before in the face of opposition from Newscorpse, and they can do it again, especially if Uncle Rupert decides to be a bit less aggressive.

If the science is correct, things are going to continue to deteriorate. Even our age's Midas will get swept away, and he is smart enough to know that (as are his kiddies).
His kiddies are reputedly centrists. Imagine being in that family. I suppose the money makes it easier.

What did you do in the war, daddy?
Oh, I put in place politicians who'd ensure the world is destroyed in your lifetime.
wamberal99

Post by wamberal99 »

Not sure that both are centrists. Which of them is now running Faux News?
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

I have to laugh. I am a swinging voter, having voted for both Labour and National in the past in New Zealand.

As a New Zealand and Canadian dual citizen I can't even vote here.

But it is funny to see the Herald Sun run nothing but positive news about ScoMo's leadership even when Blind Freddy can see he's made a cvnt of himself on several occasions.

News Limited has really turned itself into the Liberal Party Press hasn't it.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Sensible Stephen wrote:
ElementFreak wrote:
Sensible Stephen wrote:

The young Turks don't want to live in Canberra. Or leave their families to do so five days a week.

It's a lifestyle thing. You can do it in NZ.

You're welcome.

(c) Jdogscoop Analysis.
towny

Post by towny »

The Optimist wrote:I think Australia is the Lucky Country, we have so many gifts, we just don't have many politicians with a brain cell. Or citizens wise enough to vote in a decent person. My kingdom for a leader with wisdom that will invest in a sustainable future.

It could be worse... we could be America, or the UK. BTW check if Jacinda has an Aussie grandparent.
The term ‘the lucky country’ was at its inception supposed to be an insult. Of course, we took it as a complement.... :blush:
wamberal99

Post by wamberal99 »

towny wrote: The term ‘the lucky country’ was at its inception supposed to be an insult. Of course, we took it as a complement.... :blush:

Donald Horne wrote the book ("The Lucky Country") in 1964. Anybody who thinks the phrase is a compliment has not read it.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Scomo's Team thought it was appropriate to Tweet this today.....

:?
Brumbie_Steve

Post by Brumbie_Steve »

The guy is a train wreck, his own party local pollies are telling him to fudge off and he still doesn't get it. Also liked the shade Julie Bishop threw at him as well.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

She must be gutted she bailed.

I'm hearing rumours of a Porter Putsch
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Morrison copping an absolute serve on Twitter for his political ad that was released yesterday. When questioned about it today in a press conference he became extremely defensive, claimed it was important that Australians be kept informed about what the federal govt is doing, and also said it cost nothing to make because it was created by his office. I'd argue that if the ad was designed to promote his cause, then it's done the exact opposite - just the latest in a long string of bushfire related gaffes by this Prime Minister.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

It also breaks long-standing protocol about using the ADF in political adverts.

This will be an interesting year.

I think a lot of people are thinking "why did we vote for this idiot and his party".

Certainly not for leadership
Last edited by Pat the Ex Mat on Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brumbie_Steve

Post by Brumbie_Steve »

Pat the Ex Mat wrote:She must be gutted she bailed.

I'm hearing rumours of a Porter Putsch
Really?? I'll have to keep my ear to the ground.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Pat the Ex Mat wrote:It also breaks long-standing protocol about using the ADAf in political adverts.

This will be an interesting year.

I think a lot of people are thinking "why did we vote for this idiot and his party".

Certainly not for leadership
This is almost irrelevant though, as the way politics is run and managed will accommodate a blip like this within the bigger picture of maintaining power. The Libs seem better at this than their opponents... possibly the corporate ties with media help them there but the sheer scale of the manipulation of public opinion will easily sway the vote again regardless of current events and mood. Morrison May be gone but another clone will take his place and the technicians in the background swinging votes will continue to steer policy into a directionless void.

The only real hope for meaningful change is revolution and the country is too apathetic for that.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

It will be interesting to see what, if any, are the longer term ramifications of Morrison's summer of shame. He's certainly lost plenty of political skin over the past few weeks. However, with the fires likely to burn for weeks if not months, Morrison will have plenty of opportunities show the public that he is a leader. I am still hopeful that this unprecedented fire event and drought might lead to a change in Federal govt's policy on carbon emissions. Or should I say, lack of policy.
comets

Post by comets »

i enjoyed the parts where ppl refused to shake his hand, even when he tried to force shake their hands..
kiap

Post by kiap »

Nice riff here:
  • Morrison’s probably the only person on the planet jealous of the Pope this week for having his hand yanked by a well-wisher. What the Prime Minister wouldn’t give for someone to reach out and cling on to him the way that lady did to Francis.
https://www.smh.com.au/national/scott-m ... 53oly.html
6.Jones

Post by 6.Jones »

I know it's a well oiled soapbox, but we have to turn things around and lead the fight against warming, not run away. We have to reduce our emissions, not pretend to reduce them. Most of Australia's reductions since Kyoto are the result of accounting tricks. Now we want to roll over those accounting reductions into new targets. That must stop, now. We should set the same aggressive targets as nations like Britain, not carp about how some countries aren't. We're not kindergarten kids, complaining about what Johnny's not doing. We're adults. We need to start behaving that way. If there's a cost, we pay it.
ElementFreak

Post by ElementFreak »

6.Jones wrote:I know it's a well oiled soapbox, but we have to turn things around and lead the fight against warming, not run away. We have to reduce our emissions, not pretend to reduce them. Most of Australia's reductions since Kyoto are the result of accounting tricks. Now we want to roll over those accounting reductions into new targets. That must stop, now. We should set the same aggressive targets as nations like Britain, not carp about how some countries aren't. We're not kindergarten kids, complaining about what Johnny's not doing. We're adults. We need to start behaving that way. If there's a cost, we pay it.
It's tough to do that when the major party in charge seem to deny climate change.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Apart from Change.Org, the old route of trying to get your local member to lobby for change is kind of gone
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

The fact that the ALP leads the 2PP isn't surprising, they led in that for much of the last term whilst in Opposition and still lost the election.

What is very surprising is that Albanese is ahead of Morrison as preferred PM. Bill Shorten never led this category, even when the party he led was well ahead in the 2PP. I can hear the knives being sharpened in Dickson.
6.Jones

Post by 6.Jones »

Pat the Ex Mat wrote:Apart from Change.Org, the old route of trying to get your local member to lobby for change is kind of gone
Yeah, you may as well lobby a cow.
6.Jones

Post by 6.Jones »

Ali's Choice wrote:I can hear the knives being sharpened in Dickson.
Scomouse.
Ellafan

Re: The Australian Labour Party Thread

Post by Ellafan »

Read this fred for the first time in a long time.

Apparently the conservative side of politics are all prime arseholes, everyone in their right mind sees that - you'd have to be a syphilitic moron not to, Morrison* is an unrepresentative cunt.

[*He is personally responsible for climate change and bushfires, apparently.]

No way they'll win the next election.

Reasonable summary?
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

What interests me isn't so much that Scott Morrison's personal approval has fallen off a cliff, or that the Coalition has dipped below the ALP on 2PP - both those outcomes were not unexpected given the terrible month that ScoMo has just had and the lack of empathy and leadership he has shown.

No what surprises me is that 37% of respondents to Newspoll are still 'satisfied' with the job Scott Morrison is doing. Surely these people will never waver in their support for him? He could eat a baby live on breakfast television and they'd presumably still support him?

6.Jones

Re: The Australian Labour Party Thread

Post by 6.Jones »

Ellafan wrote:Read this fred for the first time in a long time.

Apparently the conservative side of politics are all prime arseholes, everyone in their right mind sees that - you'd have to be a syphilitic moron not to, Morrison* is an unrepresentative cunt.

[*He is personally responsible for climate change and bushfires, apparently.]

No way they'll win the next election.

Reasonable summary?
Not at all. If you look at post election summaries, the one policy area where Labor had an advantage was climate. Now that's blowing up in the coalition's faces. A long history of climate denial, combined with lying about it, and boasting about their and the nation's accomplishments, while actively lobbying other nations to reduce their emissions ambitions, now makes them look like arseholes. They are arseholes. This is no longer politics: it's our future. The government has to stop deflecting and lying, or as you say, there's no way they'll win the next election.