Chat Forum
It is currently Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:03 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24569 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 600, 601, 602, 603, 604, 605, 606 ... 615  Next

Whos Going to Lead the Labor Rabble
Albo 42%  42%  [ 5 ]
Plibbers 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
Bowen 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Chalmers 25%  25%  [ 3 ]
Uncle Tony 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
Clive Palmer 17%  17%  [ 2 ]
George Smith 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 12
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:42 am 

749a wrote:
Thomas wrote:
The thing is, it isn't just one mine. Adani is the first. Once it goes ahead, about 6 will follow. A couple of them are already at an advanced EIS stage. The people in the region know this. Adani is just the catch-all name for mining. In QLD, if you oppose Adani...you oppose all mining. Well, that's how they see it.

The party that moves away from coal (thermal AND metallurgical) in QLD is the party that will never be in a position of power for a couple of generations.

Yep.

Plus people know how powerful the CFMEU is with Labor right? It's fantasy land to expect Labor to oppose mining in any real form

Please don’t conflate this into an anti mining rap. It’s not. The issue is coal, both mining it and using it to generate power.

I agree regarding the political difficulties of selling modern thought to the good people of Bowen. The thing is, the game is being taken away from them and selling them dreams is a cruel deception. The world is changing, rapidly... coal is dead.

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2020-01- ... fmredir=sm

Quote:
These were considered, long-term, strategic decisions made individually by disparate groups united by a single cause — the unbridled pursuit of profit.

The message each is broadcasting is clear. When it comes to investment, coal, particularly thermal coal for electricity generation, has little, if any, future.

It's a message our politicians should heed if they want to limit the damage to communities that rely upon the coal industry.

Given Australia is one of the world's biggest coal exporters, shipping about $30 billion of thermal coal a year and around the same in metallurgical coal, the stakes are high.

Global banks are aware of the dangers
For decades, sceptics have disputed the science of climate change. Now they want to ignore the economics.

The reason global financiers are rapidly turning their backs on coal is because there's no longer a buck to be made from it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:00 am 

So Christian Porter is keen to pass his Union Busting bill?

I wonder why they would want that in the news currently..........?!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:35 am 

guy smiley wrote:
If by ‘more nuanced’ you mean a more coal loving dinosaur than Clive Palmer then yeah, I guess.

The argument in favour, as I recall you putting it, was jobs in a depressed area. That sits well with Adani’s declared intention to set up an automated mine that will employ a few score people as it proudly delivers profits offshore in a climate destroying imbroglio that all Queenslanders can be proud of.

If it was up to me the mine would never have been approved or built. But it has been approved, building has started, and no amount of good intentions or idealism will change that.

The reality is that any major Party that goes to the next Federal election in 2022 on a platform of knocking down all existing coal mines will not be in govt. That's where the Australian electorate is at the moment. The ALP's ETS, which the Greens repeatedly blocked, would have massively hastened the demise of coal mines in Australia by forcing them to pay a premium for their carbon emissions.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:26 am 

guy smiley wrote:
They should be pasting Morrison and his party’s environmental policies this summer, flaying them. Instead they’re reassuring us Adani will go ahead.

Yes that's exactly it guy. If ever there was opportunity to grab the ball by the collar and run with it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:59 am 

Bridget McKenzie goooooooooooooooone... resigned.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:47 am 

Slim 293 wrote:
Bridget McKenzie goooooooooooooooone... resigned.

Good riddance.

Although of course she has resigned on a technicality, for not disclosing her membership of a club that was awarded a grant, rather than for deliberate corruption and using $100 million of taxpayers money to help the Coalition win an election.

As they said on Insiders today, McKenzie losing her ministry for non disclosure is like Al Capone being done for tax evasion. She has acted corruptly and should be facing jail time, not just a stint on the back bench.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:22 am 

Ali's Choice wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
If by ‘more nuanced’ you mean a more coal loving dinosaur than Clive Palmer then yeah, I guess.

The argument in favour, as I recall you putting it, was jobs in a depressed area. That sits well with Adani’s declared intention to set up an automated mine that will employ a few score people as it proudly delivers profits offshore in a climate destroying imbroglio that all Queenslanders can be proud of.

If it was up to me the mine would never have been approved or built. But it has been approved, building has started, and no amount of good intentions or idealism will change that.

Starting to construct it and bringing it to the point where it's producing - even allowing for a downsized project - are separate and distinct steps with an ocean of money between them.

A while back Adani gave up on chasing external finance and plumped for 'self-funding'. Okeydoke then, let's see if internal financing can get the hole in the ground dug and coal delivered to the port. I'm betting on the answer being no.

Specifically, my bet is on Adani going boo hoo hoo and putting the hand out to whoever the Qld government is 2021.

Ali's Choice wrote:
The reality is that any major Party that goes to the next Federal election in 2022 on a platform of knocking down all existing coal mines will not be in govt.

The reality is that no major party has such a platform.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:58 pm 

The other reality is that soon, thermal coal will no longer have a business case. Then the market will do what markets do well: fcuk them. Investors are aware of this. So it's a risk, and a calculation. Will coal generation be subsidised into the future? And will coal mines be subsidised into the future. The answer to both those is probably no. So Adani is probably dead n the water. It'll be an embarrassing failure. Everyone will move on, never having argued for its existence. Scomouse will fondly remind us all of the day he stood up in parliament, with the sun shining out of his arse, to extol the virtues of solar electricity. Only good Germans here.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:35 am 

Di Natale gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooone....

Quote:
Senator Richard Di Natale has resigned as leader of the Greens and will leave federal Parliament within months to spend more time with his young family.

He made the surprise announcement to Greens colleagues on Monday, immediately spilling his position as leader and those of co-deputy leaders Adam Bandt and Larissa Waters.

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/fede ... 53x6a.html

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:03 pm 

And bareback Barnaby to challenge McCormack for the Nationals leadership today...

The Nationals... :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:41 pm 

Barnaby lost... McCormack retains leadership.

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:02 am 

Matt Canavan is farked now. More good news.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:40 am 

wamberal99 wrote:

There was a great deal of immoderate sniggering in the Mungo household when I read of Joyce and Canavan’s misfortunes

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:26 am 

MungoMan wrote:
wamberal99 wrote:

There was a great deal of immoderate sniggering in the Mungo household when I read of Joyce and Canavan’s misfortunes

Why can't Qld'rs count?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:32 am 

Notwithstanding all of the other maneuvers, Canavan's little foray into kingmaking has cost him something like $150,000 per year overnight from loss of his additional ministerial salary

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:20 am 

749a wrote:
Notwithstanding all of the other maneuvers, Canavan's little foray into kingmaking has cost him something like $150,000 per year overnight from loss of his additional ministerial salary

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:42 am 

Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
MungoMan wrote:
wamberal99 wrote:

Why can't Qld'rs count?

That's the scary thing. This is how good those pudnuckers are. This is their skillset. Like a flock of sheep plotting the battle of Plataea.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:28 am 

6.Jones wrote:
That's the scary thing. This is how good those pudnuckers are. This is their skillset. Like a flock of sheep plotting the battle of Plataea.

They spend all their spare time watching Sky News.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:10 pm 

Senator Jim Molan = Arsehat :lol: :lol: :lol:

WTF is wrong with these people. 'I am not relying on evidence...' Fvck me. All these old, senile feckers, who haven't an idea, spouting party talking points that have not changed since the 1950's. It is time for young people to be given ago, these old farts should be taken out to pasture and be forbidden from holding a drivers license.

Quote:
Mr Molan later said he wasn't "relying on science" for his views, and defended the government's climate change policy.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:55 pm 

The Optimist wrote:

WTF is wrong with these people. .Fvck me. All these old, senile feckers, who haven't an idea, spouting party talking points that have not changed since the 1950's. It is time for young people to be given ago, these old farts should be taken out to pasture and be forbidden from holding a drivers license.

Unfortunately it seems that there are also lots of young farts who either do not vote or vote Tory.

Young people will be given a go when they join political parties and work hard for the causes they believe in.

Molan is a rightwing dickhead. The only way to combat them is to errrr combat them, with hard work on the ground.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:24 am 

Time to abandon the sinking ship that is the UK. The stigma of remaining friends with the rejected fat ex-girlfriend with bad breathe should not impact our future. We like the young, modern good looking babes who speak many languages and smile with white teeth.

Long live the Australian Republic of renewable resources. Remember Gallipoli and those incompetent Brexiteers.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:05 am 

The UK seems to be on the right side of history when it comes to action on the climate????? Boris is talking like a wild-eyed member of our Green. :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:25 am 

wamberal99 wrote:
The UK seems to be on the right side of history when it comes to action on the climate????? Boris is talking like a wild-eyed member of our Green. :shock:

Boris has the ability to appear swivel eyed on any subject. But I've come round. He has the potential to be an exceptional leader. The inconvenience is he's leading his people out of a hole of his own digging on Brexit. Climate provides his with an opportunity to blame someone else.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:34 am 

6.Jones wrote:
wamberal99 wrote:

Boris has the ability to appear swivel eyed on any subject. But I've come round. He has the potential to be an exceptional leader. The inconvenience is he's leading his people out of a hole of his own digging on Brexit. Climate provides his with an opportunity to blame someone else.

Or he dies an Ahab and.....

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:11 am 

The Senate has united and will force Corrman from his role as Coalition Leader if the govt refuse to table their own investigation into the sports rorts affair :shock:

This is surely unprecedented? All the minor parties have backed Labor to force the issue. This on top of the Senate voting in favour of a Federal ICAC and then to force a vote on it in the House, blocked again by the govt.

The Senate? Leading on principle :o

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:35 am 

A good thing but also Independent senators realising they read their constituents better?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:12 am 

guy smiley wrote:

I thought you wanted to abolish the senate? ... and put in a Bjelke-style unicamelopard ... a "onesie", if you will. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:22 am 

kiap wrote:
guy smiley wrote:

I thought you wanted to abolish the senate? ... and put in a Bjelke-style unicamelopard ... a "onesie", if you will. ;)

Prize cock tho' Joh was, the Qld upper house was abolished when he was 11 (yes, I had to check but I knew he would have been just a kid).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:39 am 

MungoMan wrote:
kiap wrote:
guy smiley wrote:

Prize cock tho' Joh was, the Qld upper house was abolished when he was 11 (yes, I had to check but I knew he would have been just a kid).

Well played, Sir.

Who was to blame (or praise, as the case may be) then?

Did they see the 11 y.o. Joh as an up-and-comer ... and therefore pave the way for his future hegemony?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:30 am 

kiap wrote:
guy smiley wrote:

I don’t think I’ve ever suggested doing away with the senate... I did make a couple of passing comments about doing away with the 3 tier government model. Do you have me confused with someone else or have I misconstrued myself?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:07 pm 

kiap wrote:
MungoMan wrote:
kiap wrote:
guy smiley wrote:

Well played, Sir.

Who was to blame (or praise, as the case may be) then?

Did they see the 11 y.o. Joh as an up-and-comer ... and therefore pave the way for his future hegemony?

Without bothering google or any other search engine, a Labor government. A lot of work was put into getting sufficient Labor reps into the upper House to enable the formation of a suicide squad: a majority willing to vote in favour of of lower House Bill prposing to abolish the upper House.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:09 pm 

guy smiley wrote:
kiap wrote:
guy smiley wrote:

I don’t think I’ve ever suggested doing away with the senate... I did make a couple of passing comments about doing away with the 3 tier government model. Do you have me confused with someone else or have I misconstrued myself?

Kiap's probably mistaken you for Paul Keating circa the time of his 'unrepresentative swill' comment. An understandable error...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:48 pm 

MungoMan wrote:
Without bothering google or any other search engine, a Labor government. A lot of work was put into getting sufficient Labor reps into the upper House to enable the formation of a suicide squad: a majority willing to vote in favour of of lower House Bill prposing to abolish the upper House.

:thumbup:
guy smiley wrote:

That must be it. Seems like my post was a long-hop wide down the leg side. :lol: Pls ignore.

Come to think of it, might have me suggesting Upper House abolition - not Federally, but for the states - as a way to reduce the flock of pollies.

Whether it's a good idea or not probably comes down to how much importance you place on having state governments on a scale of none ... to some ..... to a lot.

If the joint wasn't 1,000s of km of expanse - but measured in mere 100s of kms instead - the answer would be closer to none.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:16 am 

The ALP announce a zero carbon emissions target by 2050.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal ... 542tv.html

News Ltd now have 2.5 years between now and the next election to run a scare campaign based on this policy.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:44 am 

Ali's Choice wrote:

News Ltd now have 2.5 years between now and the next election to run a scare campaign based on this policy.

I'll probably be dead by 2050...2.5 years might be a stretch as well...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:41 am 

Ali's Choice wrote:

Did they specifically rule out supporting Adani?
Until they do, it's not worth the paper it's written on sadly

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:53 am 

Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:

Did they specifically rule out supporting Adani?
Until they do, it's not worth the paper it's written on sadly

The Federal govt can do a huge amount to cut the nations carbon emissions without shutting down a coal mine.

But if you'd prefer to vote for the other major party, the Coalition, who don't even believe that climate change is caused by humans, then that's your prerogative :thumbup:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:22 am 

I see you missed the sadly part.

Nown the time for Labor to be more forthright.

Liberal-lite cost them votes last time.

And you know who I vote for (with preferences*)

* Mind you not at all impressed with Labor tabling a bill to get kids to chant an oath of allegiance at school......WTF?!

:|

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:56 am 

Ali's Choice wrote:

Damn right. :thumbup:

Albanese not so squeezy.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:58 am 

Nice article by may favourite person on twitter, Peter Van Onselen.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/commen ... b55bd73e67
Quote:
Time to eat some surplus humble pie
PETER VAN ONSELEN
Follow @vanOnselenP

With confirmation that the surplus is dead, buried and cremated — as the ERC plans to put a multi-billion dollar budget blowing stimulus package to Cabinet tomorrow — we can examine what that means for the government.

In terms of raw politics it means nothing. The Coalition will be forgiven for its failure: partly because people want the stimulus spending to help stave off recession, partly because the Coalition won’t be held to account for over-promising and under delivering.

That’s because research tells us that voters trust the Coalition when it comes to the economy and economic management.

The economy hasn’t exactly been firing on all cylinders since the Coalition came to power. Far from it in fact. Despite all the promises to repair the budget after Labor’s six years in power, in the six plus years the Coalition has been in office national debt has more than doubled.

Think about that.

Equally, when the GFC concluded the Reserve Bank still had the cash rate at three per cent (six times what it is now). Since that time it has continually lowered interest rates, to the point where they are now at a record low of just 0.5 per cent.

The only reason rates have kept coming down is because the Reserve Bank sees systemic weaknesses in the economy, and government’s have failed to fiscally reform to correct the slow and low growth.

And don’t forget, given the hot property market in most parts of the country, the Reserve Bank would rather be putting rates up not down, but it simply can’t. Not with such a weak economy.

So, the government has presided over low growth, high under employment, record low interest rates courtesy of a weak economy and the doubling of national debt for no good reason. All while failing to have the guts to embrace economic reforms that might have done something to fix the situation.

But it did have one thing (and one thing only) it was planning to crow about: finally returning the budget to surplus. It was always a largely symbolic and meaningless effort, but they put one hell of a lot of stock in the goal nonetheless.
The International Monetary Fund requested that the Australian Government delay its return to surplus and instead deliver cash transfers to households or corporate tax breaks. ...

So much so, in fact, that the Coalition got ahead of itself. In a desperate bid to have something to brag about going into last year’s election the budget was brought forward to April so the Treasurer could announce we were “back in black” thereby allowing the Prime Minister to campaign on the “achievement” in May.

An achievement we not only had not yet reached, but now won’t reach this year nor probably for years after that. Despite the promises. Despite the claims it had already happened. Despite the coffee mugs Liberal HQ produced to perpetuate the brag.

So while they will get away with it, and they know they will, they really shouldn’t. Because this country has been painfully bereft of leadership, especially when it comes to the economy, for too long now. And the current mob are as hopeless on this scorecard as any government in recent years.

But mark my words, using stimulus spending the government will (like Labor before it) claim credit for avoiding a recession, assuming that’s what we do. Avoiding recession is not rocket science. The finance team get weekly mud maps on how the economy is travelling. Unless they are late to the party it’s not hard to flood the system with taxpayers dollars via debt to lift growth marginally above negative territory.

Even if doing so means eating humble surplus pie.

Don’t forget what Scott Morrison said last year in one of the leaders debates during the election campaign: “we returned the budget to surplus, next year”. His mangled English a lesson in over-promising and under-delivering. Indeed, a lesson in claiming credit for something he hadn’t actually achieved.

Last edited by Ali's Choice on Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24569 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 600, 601, 602, 603, 604, 605, 606 ... 615  Next