16%
George Smith
11%

Total votes: 19

kiwigreg369

Re: The Australian Politics Thread

Post by kiwigreg369 »

Point taken and fair view point.

For me the difference is numbers, or the stats. It doesn't take away from the shitty absolute number but under:
- Andrews - ~ 100 deaths per million
- ScoMo - ~35 deaths per million / or ~7 deaths per million excluding Victoria

I'd be happy if both went.
Farva

Post by Farva »

kiwigreg369 wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:03 am Point taken and fair view point.

For me the difference is numbers, or the stats. It doesn't take away from the shitty absolute number but under:
- Andrews - ~ 100 deaths per million
- ScoMo - ~35 deaths per million / or ~7 deaths per million excluding Victoria

I'd be happy if both went.
To be honest, neither is a particularly bad figure and both can demonstrate that they have saved countless lives. Compare that to say Orange at 650, BoJo at 620 and Bolsonaro at 680. Both Andrews and Scotty have put in mitigation techniques that have worked and been willing to lose political capital to protect peoples lives. I think they have done pretty well, have stuck to message (which admittedly was a little scattered to start) and have followed the science and medical advice, and not let politics into it. There have been mistakes, but I think these mistakes should be the ones that we investigate, understand and put measures in place to stop happening next time, rather than use as a witch hunt.
Ellafan

Post by Ellafan »

I popped in anticipating a mountain of invective form AC, Farva, bindi and the other lefties whining about the budget .. and just silence.

And Leigh Sales' biased performance on 730 tonight was a complete biased joke... she has no idea how to ask short simple questions and lock the gates to the paddock. If you put a complicated question with 3 assumptions built in, you invite a lengthy discussion of those assumptions. The Donald Trump question was simply childish.
Farva

Post by Farva »

The fed govt put forward a massive deficit but there is no other choice. I’m going towards the print money to pay for it camp as we are actually seeing deflation right now (ABS has -0.3% CPI right now).
I’m not sold on the tax cuts (all Hough it’s massively beneficial to me). It’s not the way to get the economy kick started, lower income earners spend far faster than higher. And velocity is abysmal right now.
I’m really pleased to see $1.4b over 10 years for ARENA and $300m in the CEFC to kickstart the hydrogen economy. I’m less interested in the money assigned to gas and clean coal. It will be interesting to see how the industry responds to that and whether they are interested in supporting gas and coal.
I am more than happy to see debt approaching $1t in the next few years. It has too.
I’m torn as to whether we keep the job seeker payment high. I feel the rate before Covid was too low. But it can’t stop people from finding work. I don’t think we can go back to the previous rate, but I feel the Covid supplement was too much.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Farva wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:53 am The fed govt put forward a massive deficit but there is no other choice. I’m going towards the print money to pay for it camp as we are actually seeing deflation right now (ABS has -0.3% CPI right now).
I’m not sold on the tax cuts (all Hough it’s massively beneficial to me). It’s not the way to get the economy kick started, lower income earners spend far faster than higher. And velocity is abysmal right now.
I’m really pleased to see $1.4b over 10 years for ARENA and $300m in the CEFC to kickstart the hydrogen economy. I’m less interested in the money assigned to gas and clean coal. It will be interesting to see how the industry responds to that and whether they are interested in supporting gas and coal.
I am more than happy to see debt approaching $1t in the next few years. It has too.
I’m torn as to whether we keep the job seeker payment high. I feel the rate before Covid was too low. But it can’t stop people from finding work. I don’t think we can go back to the previous rate, but I feel the Covid supplement was too much.
I think we all agree that the govt needed to spend, although of course the tax cuts for middle to high earners will fail to stimulate the economy. I'll convert 100% of my tax cut into super. Like you I will benefit (not massively but by a few thousand a year) but I'd rather have missed out. The money would have been better spent elsewhere. Newstart can't go back to $40 per day, and I think the current level is about right - ie around $800 per fortnight.

The biggest spend in the budget over the next financial year is the tax write offs for businesses. Whether this keeps enough businesses afloat remains to be seen. The cuts to Universities, the National Audit Office and the ABC are a disgrace.
Farva

Post by Farva »

I’m a bit worried about the universities and their financial position. There is a campaign to label them as leftist hotbeds but the fact is they are some of the best education facilities in the world and as we come out of Covid having skilled people is vital for growing our economy.
To be honest, I would make both TAFE and university free. The payoff from increased tax receipts more than pays the cost.
Salient

Post by Salient »

Farva wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:53 am The fed govt put forward a massive deficit but there is no other choice. I’m going towards the print money to pay for it camp as we are actually seeing deflation right now (ABS has -0.3% CPI right now).
It's right wing propaganda to claim the increased job seeker allowance is going to stop people from "finding work". There is a certain percentage that were neither looking for work in the first place but a lot of the currently unemployed do want to find gainful employment, the problem being lack of actual jobs out there for everyone looking for work.

Even the Business Council were demanding an increased job seeker payment due to the fact that people couldn't afford to actually go to interviews, or so it is claimed. For the rest of us, perhaps thinking of trying to survive on an income that is pushing people into a downward spiral of poverty was unacceptable in a Country as wealthy as Australia.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

The Liberals have failed several generations with that budget

I'm glad I don't have kids

Women are doubly screwed.

The tax cuts won't stimulate the economy and they have somehow found millions to pay for school chaplains... :|

Piss-weak
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

Some good points above (not you Pat - you're just having a moan).

Picking two from Farva:
- Universities - i think they've missed a trick here as well. Uni's are in a bad place - i think they should have been investing here to drive future growth and opportunities (not investing in foreign students) - specifically high end technology, medical, and scientific research into energy.
- Spending - i hate the government taking money to only give it back - it's so inefficient and minimises the benefit. For me all tax cuts should have been focused on the lowest band and raising the minimum earnings levels (everyone benefits, but mainly those at the bottom)

I would have added in broader:
- Energy - still fundamentally flawed approach and policy. Fcuk it - invest big and now in Nuclear and any relevant Hydro options
- Tax reform - still, for me, get rid of negative gearing...
Farva

Post by Farva »

Im with you there KG. Lift the tax free threshold. That way there is a cut at the high end but as a dollar amount it’s no more than the low earners. Then velocity can pick up.

I don’t agree on nuclear. It’s waaay to expensive and will take years (10+) to get operating. Put it into grid upgrades to promote renewable growth and into green hydrogen production to allow economies of scale to have an effect.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

kiwigreg369 wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:25 pm Some good points above (not you Pat - you're just having a moan).

- Energy - still fundamentally flawed approach and policy. Fcuk it - invest big and now in Nuclear and any relevant Hydro options
Lol, almost a direct quote from the Grattan institute and several other economists.

But I guess you think they are moaning as well.

If you think negative gearing will be abolished by the Love, you need to do more research on the LNP
wamberal

Post by wamberal »

If a vaccine is not widely available within a reasonable period, we will be fooked.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Ali's Choice wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:02 pm
I think we all agree that the govt needed to spend, although of course the tax cuts for middle to high earners will fail to stimulate the economy. I'll convert 100% of my tax cut into super. Like you I will benefit (not massively but by a few thousand a year) but I'd rather have missed out. The money would have been better spent elsewhere. Newstart can't go back to $40 per day, and I think the current level is about right - ie around $800 per fortnight.

The biggest spend in the budget over the next financial year is the tax write offs for businesses. Whether this keeps enough businesses afloat remains to be seen. The cuts to Universities, the National Audit Office and the ABC are a disgrace.
Just discovered through this thread I’m getting a tax cut - yay. But like you I’d rather the lower income earners get the bigger cut than me.

I doubly don’t need the cut at the moment as I can’t travel anywhere anyway. COVID has been the best savings plan ever.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

My tax cut will go straight into my mortgage.

Such a stupid decision to prioritise top earners

You know it's a bad idea when the Business Council of Australia and Deloitte favour low-income stimulus plans
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

Pat the Ex Mat wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:10 am My tax cut will go straight into my mortgage.

Such a stupid decision to prioritise top earners

You know it's a bad idea when the Business Council of Australia and Deloitte favour low-income stimulus plans
You and farknose how many others. Given how low mortgage rates are at present, it makes sense to use the extra income to pay down the outstanding principal. But - as per your implication - there's not a lot of economic stimulus in that, is there?
6.Jones

Post by 6.Jones »

kiwigreg369 wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:25 pm Some good points above (not you Pat - you're just having a moan).

Picking two from Farva:
- Universities - i think they've missed a trick here as well. Uni's are in a bad place - i think they should have been investing here to drive future growth and opportunities (not investing in foreign students) - specifically high end technology, medical, and scientific research into energy.
- Spending - i hate the government taking money to only give it back - it's so inefficient and minimises the benefit. For me all tax cuts should have been focused on the lowest band and raising the minimum earnings levels (everyone benefits, but mainly those at the bottom)

Why would we invest at all in nuclear, when solar is *substantially* cheaper and can be implemented 5-10 years faster? If the answer is baseload then we have both hydro and batteries. Until there are substantial technical improvements, nuclear is a wet dream for dinosaurs.

The reason the right loves nuclear is there's fuel to be sold. Have snout, will travel. Communista light by contrast falls for free from the air.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Fair warning, I had 4 injections of Dexamethasone today.

I'm ready to make Australia Great Again....it was a beautiful thing, and I understand it all now

:lol:
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

6.Jones wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:13 am

Picking two from Farva:

Why would we invest at all in nuclear, when solar is *substantially* cheaper and can be implemented 5-10 years faster? If the answer is baseload then we have both hydro and batteries. Until there are substantial technical improvements, nuclear is a wet dream for dinosaurs.

The reason the right loves nuclear is there's fuel to be sold. Have snout, will travel. Communista light by contrast falls for free from the air.
Also noted during an earlier and much more impressive plague.

Brightness falls from the air
Queens have died young and fair
Dust hath closed Helen's eye
I am sick I must die
Lord have mercy on us.

But to get the most out of utility scale PV, there needs to be more than a readily available resource with sod-all marginal cost. There needs to be not only sufficient storage (chemical or kinetic, as you've noted) but also a grid optimised for dispersed, non-synchronous variable generation.

I more or less trust Market Magic to deal with the chemical storage matter; but I hold little hope in respect of large-scale pumped hydro or compressed air or whatever and no hope whatsoever in re the upgrades and augmentations needed to the HV grid.

Gummint needs to step in for the latter.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Not to mention selling off parts of SA as a dump (New dump)
Farva

Post by Farva »

Groucho, the grid is getting a bit choccas at the moment, with transmission lines built to suit aging coal and not new wind and solar. Heaps of plants are suffering from curtailment or significant MLFs. It’s hurting industry.
Thankfully the federal governments budget has a lot in it for grid strengthening. Hopefully it goes to the right spot, and we are already seeing bass link 2, the inter connector between SA and NSW, etc being built.
Nuclear won’t happen in Australia until fission becomes a reality (if ever). AGLs CEO came out the other day and said that BESS was now competitive for load shifting. And a poster just said on the Greta thread said they were H2 for Eur90 /MWh. With renewable at $A45 (Neoen just sighed a PPA with the ACT for this the other day) you could get a variable RE mix H2 / BESS for realistically $90 /MWh wholesale, comparable to new black coal and a hell of a lot cheaper than new black coal with CSS.
Farva

Post by Farva »

MungoMan wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:35 am

Picking two from Farva:

I am sick I must die
Lord have mercy on us.

But to get the most out of utility scale PV, there needs to be more than a readily available resource with sod-all marginal cost. There needs to be not only sufficient storage (chemical or kinetic, as you've noted) but also a grid optimised for dispersed, non-synchronous variable generation.

I more or less trust Market Magic to deal with the chemical storage matter; but I hold little hope in respect of large-scale pumped hydro or compressed air or whatever and no hope whatsoever in re the upgrades and augmentations needed to the HV grid.

I’m starting to lose a bit of interest in PHES in Australia. Nothing is getting built!
And as you say the HV assets need to be built and they are government owned. There is some money in the budget for that but will it be enough?
6.Jones

Post by 6.Jones »

Picking two from Farva:

I am sick I must die
Lord have mercy on us.

I can live with the magic market in this case. :thumbup:
6.Jones

Post by 6.Jones »

Farva wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:48 am Groucho, the grid is getting a bit choccas at the moment, with transmission lines built to suit aging coal and not new wind and solar. Heaps of plants are suffering from curtailment or significant MLFs. It’s hurting industry.
Thankfully the federal governments budget has a lot in it for grid strengthening. Hopefully it goes to the right spot, and we are already seeing bass link 2, the inter connector between SA and NSW, etc being built.
Nuclear won’t happen in Australia until fission becomes a reality (if ever). AGLs CEO came out the other day and said that BESS was now competitive for load shifting. And a poster just said on the Greta thread said they were H2 for Eur90 /MWh. With renewable at $A45 (Neoen just sighed a PPA with the ACT for this the other day) you could get a variable RE mix H2 / BESS for realistically $90 /MWh wholesale, comparable to new black coal and a hell of a lot cheaper than new black coal with CSS.
Sure - grid 'strengthening' must be part of the ix. Although it isn't really strengthening: it's an essential upgrade to the next generation of transmission.
Ellafan

Post by Ellafan »

Pat the Ex Mat wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:57 pm The Liberals have failed several generations with that budget

The tax cuts won't stimulate the economy and they have somehow found millions to pay for school chaplains... :|

Piss-weak
Thank you. It is the "Morrison recession" after all :lol: :roll:

Even you might admit that was a pathetic response from what'shis name.
6.Jones

Post by 6.Jones »

Ellafan wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:10 pm
Pat the Ex Mat wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:57 pm The Liberals have failed several generations with that budget

Piss-weak

Scotty from Pathology.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Piss-weak

Of course it is - we were in Recession before Covid thanks to your mates inablilty to manage the economy.

This budget will not fix our current problems at all - even with an extra 6 months to prepare, they screwed the pooch
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

Farva wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:52 am

Picking two from Farva:

I am sick I must die
Lord have mercy on us.

I’m starting to lose a bit of interest in PHES in Australia. Nothing is getting built!
And as you say the HV assets need to be built and they are government owned. There is some money in the budget for that but will it be enough?
Re the transmission grid: the Qld and Tassie networks are government-owned but the remainder are not; ditto the interconnectors. That doesn't rule out governments from playing a role (for better or worse).

Even tho' the Vic HV network was privatised way back in the Kennet era and is now owned by AusNet, the Andrews Government has passed state leg. enabling major new HV works to go ahead without the AER's prior approval under the regulatory investment test. Vic. is, admittedly, a unique case in that the actual transmission network operator / planner is - for historical reasons - AEMO; but the point is that providing funding is not the only thing governments can do.
Salient

Post by Salient »

Farva wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:14 pm I’m a bit worried about the universities and their financial position. There is a campaign to label them as leftist hotbeds but the fact is they are some of the best education facilities in the world and as we come out of Covid having skilled people is vital for growing our economy.
To be honest, I would make both TAFE and university free. The payoff from increased tax receipts more than pays the cost.
You clearly haven't caught up with the current University rankings, no not the Oz biased ones, Australian + Kiwi universities are on a slide due, in my opinion, the Government of both ccountries' viewing education as a commodity.
wamberal

Post by wamberal »

6.Jones wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:11 pm
Scotty from Pathology.
I'd go with "Pathological" myself.
Ellafan

Post by Ellafan »

Pat the Ex Mat wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:40 am

Piss-weak

Of course it is - we were in Recession before Covid thanks to your mates inablilty to manage the economy.

This budget will not fix our current problems at all - even with an extra 6 months to prepare, they screwed the pooch
So, are you saying you agree with the labor leader blaming the economic effects of covid lockdown on the leader of the government and implying they are, by some mysterious causal chain, his personal fault?
Farva

Post by Farva »

Interestingly Coalition leaders blamed Labor for the GFC slowdown too.
6.Jones

Post by 6.Jones »

Ellafan wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:05 pm
Pat the Ex Mat wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:40 am

Piss-weak

So, are you saying you agree with the labor leader blaming the economic effects of covid lockdown on the leader of the government and implying they are, by some mysterious causal chain, his personal fault?
Don't both sides of party politics do exactly this?
Ellafan

Post by Ellafan »

Yes.
Farva

Post by Farva »

So Gladys gone?
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Gladys B has had a shocker. Sky News is distraught, Andrew Clenell and Kieran Gilbert are almost in tears, they adore Gladys so much. Reports are that the NSW Liberal Party is going to try and bring down ICAC, and potentially dismantle it.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Sky News is pleading with their viewers to have sympathy for Gladys Berejiklian. Kieran Gilbert is absolutely distraught.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Gladys Berejiklian is refusing to resign. Her Ministers have come out and said she deserves to stay because she works hard. Sky News played some audio tapes of Gladys Berejiklian and her corrupt and disgraced ex boyfriend talking, and they are pretty damning. He kept boasting about sealing lucrative deals with the State Govt and she kept laughing and saying "I don't need to hear this".
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

It's always a case of "How corrupt" the spivs are, it if...
Salient

Post by Salient »

Farva wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:52 am I’m starting to lose a bit of interest in PHES in Australia. Nothing is getting built!
Pulled the buggy up to the curb, the Government still owns something :shock: If they become aware of this they'll be selling it off to the Chinese just like Brisbane airport and Darwin harbour x(
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

Will go through the Gladys story later tonight - from what i've skimmed she put herself, repeatedly, in a position where she could have been influenced or the perception of influence could be inferred.

Once might be OK - but seems like multiple times - she should go (in part because her political persona is based on the strength of her personal standards and approach - which is now tarnished).