Chat Forum
It is currently Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:52 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25219 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 631  Next

Whos Going to Lead the Labor Rabble
Albo 36%  36%  [ 5 ]
Plibbers 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
Bowen 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
Chalmers 29%  29%  [ 4 ]
Uncle Tony 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
Clive Palmer 14%  14%  [ 2 ]
George Smith 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 14
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:59 am 

You're so angry Grievous. Seemingly on every thread.

Relax man..... life goes on. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:33 am 

grievous wrote:
_fatprop wrote:
I do wonder who would do better from voluntary voting

Quote:
Who benefits?
There have been no policy initiatives on the subject from the Labor government at that time or since.

It is widely believed that the Liberal party would have the most to gain if a voluntary voting system were adopted here but James Campbell, state politics editor of the Herald Sun newspaper, explains that the issue is not black and white.

"Both parties have toyed with the idea of abolishing mandatory voting, but the reason it never happened is no-one has been entirely certain about who would benefit from getting rid of it."

Rohan Wenn, spokesperson for the non-partisan political advocacy group Get Up!, says the system protects the rights of marginalised groups.

"If you look at the international experience, in non-compulsory voting systems, the people who don't vote are the poor and disenfranchised and those are exactly the people we think should be voting."

Regardless of partisanship, the current electoral system is largely supported across the country. Dr Chen explains that despite the ongoing debate, there is no sign of any serious measures to end compulsory voting in sight.

"Most Australians are quite comfortable with the electoral process and would be quite suspicious of efforts to change it. We trust the electoral system more than we trust our politicians.

"It's an irony, but we really like our democracy.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-23810381

And there we have it, parties look at abolishing comp voting for their own benefit, not the countries'.

of course, thus it has always has been, thus it always will be

Last edited by _fatprop on Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:46 am 

Anyone posted this yet? Absolutely outrageous.

Quote:
COALITION MAY CENSOR BOAT ARRIVALS
Yahoo!7, AAP
September 4, 2013, 8:38 am

Coalition may censor boat arrivals

An elected Coalition government may prevent media from reporting the arrivals of asylum seeker boats, saying the decision to report boat arrivals should not be left in the hands of politicians.

Opposition Immigration spokesman Scott Morrison made the claim yesterday at the National Press Club, saying he would leave the decision to announce boat arrivals up to the three-star general who would head up his ‘Operation Sovereign Borders' policy.

The Opposition has made much political mileage out of publicising boat arrivals over the last term of parliament, saying each boat arrival was a Labor policy failure.

As it stands, the Department of Home Affairs publishes the details of every boat arrival, including where the boat was found, the number of people on board and the asylum seekers' final destination.

Mr Morrison now says the release of boat arrival information would be an 'operational decision'.

"I don't think those decisions should be put in the hands of politicians to use as this Government has on occasions," Mr Morrison told the National Press Club yesterday during a debate with Immigration Minister Tony Burke.

"I think those decisions should be made by implementation officers and I'm happy to trust one of the three-star military officers of our defence forces and I'm surprised Tony Burke's not."

Opposition Leader Tony Abbott has made it clear he intends to stop boat arrivals, but Mr Burke says Australians will remain in the dark on whether the Coalition has lived up to its promise.

"Because Scott's not guaranteeing to let the media know the way Labor has, (former Liberal Prime Minister) John Howard has. He's already taken that promise off the table,'' he said.

"It may well be Australians are no longer told because he refused to re-commit to the information and the disclosure even occurring.''

REGRETS, THEY HAVE A FEW

Mr Burke and his opposition counterpart Scott Morrison were asked during a debate on immigration policy if they had any regrets about the way their parties had handled the asylum seeker debate.

The minister reiterated "big regrets" about Labor's failure to shift its policies in 2009 after changes in the global movement of displaced people.

"At that point, there was a new path-line of people smuggling and we needed to change our policies immediately," he told the National Press Club in Canberra on Tuesday.

"We didn't, and I believe we should've and I deeply regret the consequences," Mr Burke said.

He also expressed regret over the government's failure to garner support in parliament for its Malaysia people-swap legislation after the High Court ruled it unlawful in 2011.

"I wished we'd done some of what might've been needed to be done to make sure that that legislation would've gone through smoothly," he said.

"It's deep regrets (and) deep consequences from them."

Mr Morrison turned the focus back on the government when asked the same question.

"My biggest regret is I don't think I've been convincing enough to get the government to move earlier on these matters," he said.

"They've resisted our arguments for a very long time."

He conceded the asylum seeker debate was "very difficult".

"Engaging in the debate in this area is like walking on a razor blade most days and you need to be very careful," Mr Morrison said.

"Occasionally I've misspoken and I've made apologies for that when I have."

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:54 am 

Speed Racer wrote:

So having come to power riding a tide of public sentiment against boat people, fueled by an adoring media, the Coalition is now going to ban media outlets announcing boat arrivals? This is despicable behaviour but does not surprise me in the least. The Coalition are a genuinely evil organisation who will say and do absolutely anything to maintain power.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:03 am 

Ali's Choice wrote:
Speed Racer wrote:

So having come to power riding a tide of public sentiment against boat people, fueled by an adoring media, the Coalition is now going to ban media outlets announcing boat arrivals? This is despicable behaviour but does not surprise me in the least. The Coalition are a genuinely evil organisation who will say and do absolutely anything to maintain power.

:lol:

Yep, they also eat babies

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:05 am 

_fatprop wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
Speed Racer wrote:

I have no doubt that Tony Abbott would eat a baby if that's what it took to become PM. No doubt whatsoever.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:11 am 

Ali's Choice wrote:

I have no doubt that Tony Abbott would eat a baby if that's what it took to become PM. No doubt whatsoever.

Only if it came by boat.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:13 am 

towny wrote:

Eh? I'm good, just not happy with the political malaise, still OK to form an opinion isn't it.
My old man had completely tuned out of politics after being a Labor supporter all his life but he is 67. I don't think I'll last that long

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:14 am 

_fatprop wrote:
grievous wrote:
_fatprop wrote:
I do wonder who would do better from voluntary voting

Quote:
Who benefits?
There have been no policy initiatives on the subject from the Labor government at that time or since.

It is widely believed that the Liberal party would have the most to gain if a voluntary voting system were adopted here but James Campbell, state politics editor of the Herald Sun newspaper, explains that the issue is not black and white.

"Both parties have toyed with the idea of abolishing mandatory voting, but the reason it never happened is no-one has been entirely certain about who would benefit from getting rid of it."

Rohan Wenn, spokesperson for the non-partisan political advocacy group Get Up!, says the system protects the rights of marginalised groups.

"If you look at the international experience, in non-compulsory voting systems, the people who don't vote are the poor and disenfranchised and those are exactly the people we think should be voting."

Regardless of partisanship, the current electoral system is largely supported across the country. Dr Chen explains that despite the ongoing debate, there is no sign of any serious measures to end compulsory voting in sight.

"Most Australians are quite comfortable with the electoral process and would be quite suspicious of efforts to change it. We trust the electoral system more than we trust our politicians.

"It's an irony, but we really like our democracy.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-23810381

And there we have it, parties look at abolishing comp voting for their own benefit, not the countries'.

But should it fattie, should it?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:15 am 

Ali's Choice wrote:
_fatprop wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
Speed Racer wrote:

and what would Kevin's limit be to stay in the top job?

So far he's destroyed his own Govt.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:20 am 

Ali's Choice wrote:
_fatprop wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
Speed Racer wrote:

Well this week Annabel Crabb will find out

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:22 am 

grievous wrote:
_fatprop wrote:

Probably not, but a political party's main goal in the end is to get elected and stay elected and they will do what ever they can get away with to meet those two goals

It is the reason we always need a good, rigorous opposition.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:24 am 

grievous wrote:
towny wrote:

Eh? I'm good, just not happy with the political malaise, still OK to form an opinion isn't it.
My old man had completely tuned out of politics after being a Labor supporter all his life but he is 67. I don't think I'll last that long

tell me, do you always find oz politics is 'in a malaise' when the ALP isn't in power?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:35 am 

towny wrote:
grievous wrote:
towny wrote:

tell me, do you always find oz politics is 'in a malaise' when the ALP isn't in power?

Are you expecting people to answer the question when you don't?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:48 am 

So 'I'll stop the boats' actually means 'I'll stop you hearing about the boats'?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:06 am 

Shrekles wrote:
So 'I'll stop the boats' actually means 'I'll stop you hearing about the boats'?

To be fair to People Skills, he did say he would stop the boats with an effective policy.

That's pretty effective!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:10 am 

Shrekles wrote:

I think he means that they'll stop arriving at all. That's the 'plan' anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:23 am 

Fellow members of ASS (Abbott Sucks Shit), can you assist.
We were having a discussion about the NBN at lunch today. I trotted out the line from a page or two ago about mates in IT. However, some of my collegues are of the opinion that the NBN is a waste of money as 4G wireless technology is currently nearly as fast as fibre, and is likely to exceed that of cables by the time the NBN is operational.

I wouldnt have a clue if this is true or not.

What is the situation? Is the NBN a waste of money?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:31 am 

Farva wrote:
We were having a discussion about the NBN at lunch today. I trotted out the line from a page or two ago about mates in IT. However, some of my collegues are of the opinion that the NBN is a waste of money as 4G wireless technology is currently nearly as fast as fibre, and is likely to exceed that of cables by the time the NBN is operational.

Nope*

*Commentor may work at NBN and therefore may not be entirely objective in his opinion

Last edited by Speed Racer on Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:32 am 

Farva wrote:

The IT nerds aren't going to be happy with you. :roll:

What I remember, is that 4G won't be nearly as quick once substantial users get onto the bandwith.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:33 am 

I have heard the argument that the kiddies are just moving to mobile 3G/4G and home based connections aren't in their plans

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:35 am 

towny wrote:
Farva wrote:

What I remember, is that 4G won't be nearly as quick once substantial users get onto the bandwith.

The thoughts were that while that may be the case, in 7 years time when the NBN is finished, fibre will be superceded.

Like I said, I dont know where the technology is heading at the moment.
I had thought that allowing for a high speed fibre network would have made economic sense but if wireless will make fibre redundant then fair enough.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:37 am 

_fatprop wrote:
I have heard the argument that the kiddies are just moving to mobile 3G/4G and home based connections aren't in their plans

Contention

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:38 am 

Farva wrote:
I had thought that allowing for a high speed fibre network would have made economic sense but if wireless will make fibre redundant then fair enough.

Backbone?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:39 am 

Farva wrote:
towny wrote:
Farva wrote:

The thoughts were that while that may be the case, in 7 years time when the NBN is finished, fibre will be superceded.

So, you're voting for Abbott now?

Interesting...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:44 am 

towny wrote:
Farva wrote:
towny wrote:
Farva wrote:

So, you're voting for Abbott now?

Interesting...

Most certainly not.

This is an issue I thought I had a grasp on. Then something was thrown up, so like a good citizen I am investigating the issue.
Mat, does backbone mean that we need to have a physical system through which to run the wireless connection?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:47 am 

Just voted.

Crossed out my Reps Ballot, don't like any of them. Had a 110 numberothon in the senate though, so that was fun.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:47 am 

Farva wrote:
Mat, does backbone mean that we need to have a physical system through which to run the wireless connection?

Yes.

The technology at the end of the NBN doesn't really matter. The pipe that delivers it certainly does.

Consider the Labor plan to be like a 1000mm Stormwater Drain and the Liberal one like a garden hose with kinks and leaks.

The "Yoof" might be mobile but most places will still depend upon the NBN for a data connection to their Modem. The amount of mobile towers needed for everybody to use 4G at speeds advertised would mean every pole in the land would need multiple antennae.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:50 am 

Mat the Expat wrote:
Farva wrote:

Yes.

The technology at the end of the NBN doesn't really matter. The pipe that delivers it certainly does.

Consider the Labor plan to be like a 1000mm Stormwater Drain and the Liberal one like a garden hose with kinks and leaks.

The "Yoof" might be mobile but most places will still depend upon the NBN for a data connection to their Modem. The amount of mobile towers needed for everybody to use 4G at speeds advertised would mean every pole in the land would need multiple antennae.

Excellent.
That makes sense.
Mobile broadband cannot deliver the bandwith required to service Australia to the levels it requires to be competitive in a world environment. Therefore we need a physical cable to provide that.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:50 am 

You won't get a more "Nerdy" site than this to pick and choose your quotes from [/Towny]:

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2013/09/turnbulls-revised-nbn-schedule-may-take-a-year-to-start/

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:58 am 

Farva wrote:

A beautiful diagram that shows how quickly 4g diminishes at a rate of nearly 50% speed loss as each user connects to a cell (cell = tower)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:14 am 

Taffia wrote:
Farva wrote:

A beautiful diagram that shows how quickly 4g diminishes at a rate of nearly 50% speed loss as each user connects to a cell (cell = tower)

You can test this quite well at Sydney Olympic Park. They were the first site in Sydney to get 4G.

It's got terrible coverage

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:57 am 

_fatprop wrote:
grievous wrote:
_fatprop wrote:

Probably not, but a political party's main goal in the end is to get elected and stay elected and they will do what ever they can get away with to meet those two goals

It is the reason we always need a good, rigorous opposition.

Yeah, like if we had that we would be sweet

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:59 am 

towny wrote:
grievous wrote:
towny wrote:

I'm being bi partisan, try it once, hard for you Libs I know

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:58 am 

_fatprop wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
Speed Racer wrote:

Only the ones who don't get thrown overboard ;)

Besides the boats are a done and dusted issue when Honest Abbott comes to power, he's buying all the leaking ones and turning back the rest at the border. I'm expecting not a single boat to make Australian territory within three months.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:29 am 

Salient wrote:
_fatprop wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
Speed Racer wrote:

Only the ones who don't get thrown overboard ;)

Besides the boats are a done and dusted issue when Honest Abbott comes to power, he's buying all the leaking ones and turning back the rest at the border. I'm expecting not a single boat to make Australian territory within three months.

Already the influx has significantly dropped. The ALP had done the heavy lifting on this issue imo. Ironically, Tony might get the credit....

That must hurt.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:43 am 

_fatprop wrote:

I suspect that network latency isn't in their plans either. We can't support entire communities using any kind of foreseeable phone technology, and there's a good mathematical argument that it will never be possible.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:21 am 

6roucho wrote:
_fatprop wrote:

I suspect that network latency isn't in their plans either. We can't support entire communities using any kind of foreseeable phone technology, and there's a good mathematical argument that it will never be possible.

You notice that Fats and Towns never respond to tech explanations - the very model of their heroes :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:27 am 

Mat the Expat wrote:
6roucho wrote:
_fatprop wrote:

You notice that Fats and Towns never respond to tech explanations - the very model of their heroes :roll:

This argument about the cool kids moving on to 4G has clearly been given to the faithful to repeat: we've had it several times already on this thread.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:35 am 

Mat the Expat wrote:
Farva wrote:

Yes.

Don't both plans utilise a fibre optic backbone?
To extend your analogy, the ALP's plan is like a 1000mm stormwater drain direct to every home whereas the Coalition's plan is the stormwater drain running down the street with plumbing to the home.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25219 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 631  Next