Chat Forum
It is currently Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:20 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 3:24 am 

So it now looks certain that the NRL will re-start its season on May 28 here in Australia. There has been lots of negotiating with governments, health authorities and broadcasters, but it appears that a deal has been done. Good on them for saving their season and possibly their organisation :thumbup:

But it beggars the question, why can't professional Rugby Rugby also start playing at the end of May? Both are contact sports and both have their primary supporter and player bases in NSW and QLD. Surely the same exemptions that have been afforded to the NRL could be requested by RA?

Sure, Super Rugby looks doomed, but a domestically based comp featuring teams from NSW and QLD should be a real option. I just cannot see how Rugby in Australia can just sit back and let its rival code operate without any competition. You'd have to think that a few Rugby viewers will switch codes if they enjoy watching the NRL, which will be the only sport being played.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 3:36 am 

Are the NRL games going to be behind closed doors?

The night shift is very socially distanced!

Last edited by Gavin Duffy on Sat May 02, 2020 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 3:42 am 

Reminds me of this for some reason:
https://comb.io/Y8e9Qn

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 4:06 am 

Probably could if their board took the f*** the rest approach and flew teams in and out of different states on match day! Personally I prefer that rugby, like AFL etc, waits until we can play with a halfway chance of teams being properly prepared etc on match day. And I don't really think flying from say Perth (Force will probably be in it) to Brisbane, then flying back to Perth is going to work for anyone!! I missing rugby , but prefer some common sense being used. Just had a look it a 7 hour flight each way, and not much less for them to fly to Sydney etc.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 4:09 am 

Ali's Choice wrote:
So it now looks certain that the NRL will re-start its season on May 28 here in Australia. There has been lots of negotiating with governments, health authorities and broadcasters, but it appears that a deal has been done. Good on them for saving their season and possibly their organisation :thumbup:

But it beggars the question, why can't professional Rugby Rugby also start playing at the end of May? Both are contact sports and both have their primary supporter and player bases in NSW and QLD. Surely the same exemptions that have been afforded to the NRL could be requested by RA?

the players want 3 weeks (minimum) to get back into prime condition/train together again

Last edited by deverix on Sat May 02, 2020 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 4:13 am 

Ali's Choice wrote:

Sure, Super Rugby looks doomed, but a domestically based comp featuring teams from NSW and QLD should be a real option. I just cannot see how Rugby in Australia can just sit back and let its rival code operate without any competition. You'd have to think that a few Rugby viewers will switch codes if they enjoy watching the NRL, which will be the only sport being played.

Because they are more concerned with the health of the community, every sport has survival issues but they also have to protect their players and their families.
NRL have shown this week they dont care about this by the way they have ignored serious punishment of players that think rules dont apply to them.
As has been pointed out to you which you've ignored RA has been planning a return but you can't just start up a comp that involves international teams nor start a new comp in a week, anyway you're more about kicking the code in this country and trumping the NRL by this thread.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 4:14 am 

Ali's Choice wrote:

The NRL will presumably be fulfilling current contractual obligations with broadcasters so the financial incentives would appear obvious. Anything RA cobbled together would likely be a loss making venture.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 5:30 am 

Dan54. wrote:
Probably could if their board took the f*** the rest approach and flew teams in and out of different states on match day! Personally I prefer that rugby, like AFL etc, waits until we can play with a halfway chance of teams being properly prepared etc on match day. And I don't really think flying from say Perth (Force will probably be in it) to Brisbane, then flying back to Perth is going to work for anyone!! I missing rugby , but prefer some common sense being used. Just had a look it a 7 hour flight each way, and not much less for them to fly to Sydney etc.

Why would the Force's inclusion be a determining factor in deciding whether professional Rugby can be played in NSW and QLD?

Right now there are talented kids in Rugby League and Rugby playing schools in NSW and QLD who are graduating at the end of this year and are desperate to secure contracts for 2021 and beyond as professional athletes. Most would have played both Rugby and Rugby League as kids. By vacating the sporting scene, Rugby is basically forcing all those youngsters to sign a contract with an NRL club.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 5:32 am 

Anonymous. wrote:
The NRL will presumably be fulfilling current contractual obligations with broadcasters so the financial incentives would appear obvious. Anything RA cobbled together would likely be a loss making venture.

So what you're saying is that RA should just give up and liquidate itself as an organisation because their previous TV rights deals for Super Rugby and the Rugby Championship, which required international travel, are no longer viable? I would hope RA doesn't follow your advice.

Keeping in mind that broadcasters are struggling because they have no sports to broadcast. They are desperate for live, professional sport to recommence.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 5:40 am 

grievous wrote:
Because they are more concerned with the health of the community, every sport has survival issues but they also have to protect their players and their families.
NRL have shown this week they dont care about this by the way they have ignored serious punishment of players that think rules dont apply to them.
As has been pointed out to you which you've ignored RA has been planning a return but you can't just start up a comp that involves international teams nor start a new comp in a week, anyway you're more about kicking the code in this country and trumping the NRL by this thread.

Thank you kindly for your on-topic reply. It's refreshing for you to respond without resorting to petty, personal insults. Keep it up :thumbup:

The NRL has consulted intensively with govt and health authorities. They have agreed to a set of policies and practises which health authorities believe will keep their employees safe. I won't claim to know more than the QLD and NSW state health departments.

Rugby in Australia does not exist in a vacuum. It's a highly competitive market, and right now it appears that RA has given it's main competitor a massive head start and advantage. That's unacceptable in my book. Perhaps if they spent less time writing shitty letters and sacking CEO's they would have more time to organise a domestic comp? Rugby League has created a template of health guidelines that have been approved by both the NSW and QLD governments, just copy them and start playing some Rugby.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 6:00 am 

Ali's Choice wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:

So what you're saying is that RA should just give up and liquidate itself as an organisation because their previous TV rights deals for Super Rugby and the Rugby Championship, which required international travel, are no longer viable? I would hope RA doesn't follow your advice.

Keeping in mind that broadcasters are struggling because they have no sports to broadcast. They are desperate for live, professional sport to recommence.

Don't worry Ali there is zero chance Rugby Australia will be following my advice as I haven't and won't be offering any. All that happened is you asked a question and I gave my thoughts as to why they probably won't be playing in 4 weeks time.
Broadcasters are desperate for live professional sport. Although I'm not sure how desperate they are for a series of what would amount to pre season type friendly fixtures between a handful of Australian teams.

BTW
I doubt if the NRL started their prep today they would be playing in 4 weeks time. They took a punt 3 weeks ago and they seem to have had a result.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 7:07 am 

Ali's Choice wrote:
Dan54. wrote:

Why would the Force's inclusion be a determining factor in deciding whether professional Rugby can be played in NSW and QLD?

Right now there are talented kids in Rugby League and Rugby playing schools in NSW and QLD who are graduating at the end of this year and are desperate to secure contracts for 2021 and beyond as professional athletes. Most would have played both Rugby and Rugby League as kids. By vacating the sporting scene, Rugby is basically forcing all those youngsters to sign a contract with an NRL club.

Well I was assuming we were looking at a comp involving Aussie teams for rest of this season, and you would need to include Force , you asked why Union can't start at end of May? Well possibly could if you wanted a 4 team comp,which is not real good idea I would think. I not sure if rugby has actually vacated the sports scene anymore than AFL have, rather they waiting until a new comp can be up and running with optimum outcome for Aus rugby I would think. I doubt whether it stopping anyone from being recruited for next year. Seems rugby etc is looking at early July kick off, and if this is the case won't both codes have played about same number of games, as rugby started earlier, if this indeed does make a difference to where young players are going next year. I would seriously doubt many kids are not under contract already, and any that aren't won't be showing their abilities anyway. I really prefer myself that they carry on working on a comp with input from players etc that will work, as is what seems to be happening! I not sure but like anon, I doubt whether RA is hanging out waiting for my advice!

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 7:12 am 

I don’t believe they’ll manage to play any sort of meaningful comp. I think it’s all just more of the sort of overblown hype and bullshit that typifies the NRL in general.

They’re trying to have us believe a fully fledged professional sporting comp can be run within weeks when states and the federal govt are yet to lift restrictions on movement and social activity by any significant degree. Additionally, the country’s dominant sporting code, the AFL has yet to convince governments to allow player groups as large as 10 individuals to train together.

The AFL carries more weight, influence wise throughout Australia than the NRL does.

I reckon they’re full of shit.

As usual.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 7:13 am 

Dan54. wrote:
Well I was assuming we were looking at a comp involving Aussie teams for rest of this season, and you would need to include Force , you asked why Union can't start at end of May? Well possibly could if you wanted a 4 team comp,which is not real good idea I would think. I not sure if rugby has actually vacated the sports scene anymore than AFL have, rather they waiting until a new comp can be up and running with optimum outcome for Aus rugby I would think. I doubt whether it stopping anyone from being recruited for next year. Seems rugby etc is looking at early July kick off, and if this is the case won't both codes have played about same number of games, as rugby started earlier, if this indeed does make a difference to where young players are going next year. I would seriously doubt many kids are not under contract already, and any that aren't won't be showing their abilities anyway. I really prefer myself that they carry on working on a comp with input from players etc that will work, as is what seems to be happening! I not sure but like anon, I doubt whether RA is hanging out waiting for my advice!

Given RA is broke and the current travel restrictions, why the hell would RA design a domestic comp which included the Force playing in Perth? That makes no sense whatsover.

I have been looking in the Australian online news sites today and I can't see anything about professional Rugby starting in Australia in July. Could you please post a link so I can get up to speed?

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 8:37 am 

guy smiley wrote:
I don’t believe they’ll manage to play any sort of meaningful comp. I think it’s all just more of the sort of overblown hype and bullshit that typifies the NRL in general.

They’re trying to have us believe a fully fledged professional sporting comp can be run within weeks when states and the federal govt are yet to lift restrictions on movement and social activity by any significant degree. Additionally, the country’s dominant sporting code, the AFL has yet to convince governments to allow player groups as large as 10 individuals to train together.

The AFL carries more weight, influence wise throughout Australia than the NRL does.

I reckon they’re full of shit.

As usual.

AFL are likely in a much more enviable position though - they aren't really competing against rugby/league for player base in the short term and have a solid enough fan-base (and I assume financial position). Letting the NRL act as guinea-pigs for a few weeks, judging public reaction and then being second cab off the rank if things look rosy, is a nice position for them to be in. It isn't going to hurt them much to delay.

NRL doesn't really have the luxury to wait - they need a season and as much of a season as they can.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 8:41 am 

Demilich wrote:
NRL doesn't really have the luxury to wait - they need a season and as much of a season as they can.

You're right. And neither does Rugby. Sadly it seems that Rugby Australia is asleep at the wheel. Despite Dan54 boasting that professional Rugby would be restarting in Australia in July, I haven't been able to find anything in the media today to support this claim

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 8:48 am 

Ali's Choice wrote:
Dan54. wrote:

Given RA is broke and the current travel restrictions, why the hell would RA design a domestic comp which included the Force playing in Perth? That makes no sense whatsover.

I have been looking in the Australian online news sites today and I can't see anything about professional Rugby starting in Australia in July. Could you please post a link so I can get up to speed?

Last time you asked someone to do that Grevious did, and you never apologised to him for doubting him!! :lol: :lol:
Honestly I can have a look at some stage if I get around to it, but I not too worried I realise it all part of your having a dig that rugby isn't doing it as good as NRL. There has been no date set, they waiting for clear guidelines from Govt I think, but from what I understand the general feeling is hopefully all sport including club rugby are hoping for July kick off.
As for why would RA include Force everything I have read is that they are hoping to bring them into comp this year, and I seem to recall it being talked about on Breakdown! I just watching news where they are saying that Gov't is saying that restrictions on sports will be loosened this week! They also saying AFL seem to think that travel restrictions are going to be relaxed for domestic travel very soon!! Think you may need to check your news scources!
Can you actually tell me why you always seem to try to be so negative about anything rugby is planning?

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 8:51 am 

Ali's Choice wrote:
Demilich wrote:

You're right. And neither does Rugby. Sadly it seems that Rugby Australia is asleep at the wheel. Despite Dan54 boasting that professional Rugby would be restarting in Australia in July, I haven't been able to find anything in the media today to support this claim

Yeah, but they at least have a world governing body that will bail them out to some degree. They won't be allowed to fail outright and should get some support from World Rugby to recover and remain relevant. Might actually do them some good if they have to re-build from grass-roots and finally stop paying overs for "marquee" players.

My money is on them rushing straight back to the pokie machine, chucking all their money in it, screaming "WE NEED A JACKPOT! BUMS-ON-SEATS!" and trying to pull the lever on someone like Ponga though. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 8:55 am 

Ali's Choice wrote:
Dan54. wrote:

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-unio ... 54oxq.html This is just one I found in approx 20 seconds, you really don't read an awful lot about rugby do you?

Oh I just read this
Ali's Choice wrote:
Demilich wrote:

Seems although YOU boasting that you have read online news, you don't actually do it. Proven a liar again?

Last edited by Dan54. on Sat May 02, 2020 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 8:57 am 

Dan54. wrote:
Can you actually tell me why you always seem to try to be so negative about anything rugby is planning?

I'm not negative about what RA are planning because they don't appear to be 'planning' anything. They are asleep at the wheel. They are flying a white flag and are presumably sitting around and waiting for WR to start writing cheques.

Are you asking me why I was negative about the RA's plan to sack their CEO Raelene Castle, when the game was on its knees due to the global COVID-19 pandemic? I think I have covered that previously.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 9:01 am 

Dan54. wrote:
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-union/hooper-toomua-to-speak-with-kiwi-counterparts-next-week-20200501-p54oxq.html This is just one I found in approx 20 seconds, you really don't read an awful lot about rugby do you?

Dumbest of dumb posts. That article is actually an open tab on my laptop. Mat Toomua has absolutely no idea when Rugby will restart or what it will look like. Maybe it will be domestic only? Maybe it will involve NZ? teams Maybe nothing will happen - he has no idea. I read that article and it contains absolutely no concrete details about professional Rugby's restart in Australia.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 9:03 am 

Dan54. wrote:
Seems although YOU boasting that you have read online news, you don't actually do it. Proven a liar again?

You posted an article that has no details whatsoever about Rugby re-starting in Australia. They are talking about holding meetings.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 10:04 am 

Ali's Choice wrote:
Dan54. wrote:

You posted an article that has no details whatsoever about Rugby re-starting in Australia. They are talking about holding meetings.

Well that's all any of us do, you claimed you pored over the internet and couldnt find anything about plans for Aus rugby hoping to start in July so I gave you a link, which is about Toomua being part of a back to play group formed to help come up with options. If you actually take off your 'I hate rugby' glasses and actually read it, and other articles it says RA is working towards a July start, and Toomua and Hooper and Fitzy are just discussing how the players think it can work. Of course there no details, as they are waiting to find out when borders will reopen. They also talking to NZ rugby, still with no details, just looking at what can be acheived when borders can be reopen. Even AFL who are just Aus based have released at this stage no details. I know it quite foreign to you that players would have input, I know you are boasting that you seem to be boasting that NRL just started without talking to players? Really you should be quite happy if you are right and RA goes broke then you will be able to follow league without having to worry about how rugby is not run up to your standards!! Also if you read articles they say they have to get Fox onside like League did!! You got to read sometimes!!!!

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 10:12 am 

Dan54. wrote:
Well that's all any of us do, you claimed you pored over the internet and couldnt find anything about plans for Aus rugby hoping to start in July so I gave you a link, which is about Toomua being part of a back to play group formed to help come up with options. If you actually take off your 'I hate rugby' glasses and actually read it, and other articles it says RA is working towards a July start, and Toomua and Hooper and Fitzy are just discussing how the players think it can work. Of course there no details, as they are waiting to find out when borders will reopen. They also talking to NZ rugby, still with no details, just looking at what can be acheived when borders can be reopen. Even AFL who are just Aus based have released at this stage no details. I know it quite foreign to you that players would have input, I know you are boasting that you seem to be boasting that NRL just started without talking to players? Really you should be quite happy if you are right and RA goes broke then you will be able to follow league without having to worry about how rugby is not run up to your standards!!

Thank you for a least having the honesty to finally admit that Rugby Australia have;

1. No firm plans for a restart
2. No idea what a replacement comp for Super Rugby might look like in 2020
2. Been asleep at the wheel
3. Been much more interested in internal power-grabs and bloody coups than saving the game in Australia

It's becoming apparent that RA's survival plan is now reliant entirely on a massive handout from World Rugby. Do they even have a CEO?

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 10:31 am 

Ali's Choice wrote:
Dan54. wrote:
Well that's all any of us do, you claimed you pored over the internet and couldnt find anything about plans for Aus rugby hoping to start in July so I gave you a link, which is about Toomua being part of a back to play group formed to help come up with options. If you actually take off your 'I hate rugby' glasses and actually read it, and other articles it says RA is working towards a July start, and Toomua and Hooper and Fitzy are just discussing how the players think it can work. Of course there no details, as they are waiting to find out when borders will reopen. They also talking to NZ rugby, still with no details, just looking at what can be acheived when borders can be reopen. Even AFL who are just Aus based have released at this stage no details. I know it quite foreign to you that players would have input, I know you are boasting that you seem to be boasting that NRL just started without talking to players? Really you should be quite happy if you are right and RA goes broke then you will be able to follow league without having to worry about how rugby is not run up to your standards!!

Thank you for a least having the honesty to finally admit that Rugby Australia have;

3. Been much more interested in internal power-grabs and bloody coups than saving the game in Australia

It's becoming apparent that RA's survival plan is now reliant entirely on a massive handout from World Rugby. Do they even have a CEO?

Apparently not to CEO, and you the Australian here so it's your board you are rubbishing, I just a kiwi fella pointing out how badly you seem to be at reading what is happening here. I suspect they have a pretty good idea what a replacement comp is going to look like ie; a five team Aus conference played over 10 weeks as has been mentioned in a few online stories that keep slipping past you! They are from what I read wanting to make sure they got 5 teams able to travel I assume before making public announcements. As even you must know that NRL didn't know if they were starting on 28th until yesterday up until they got clearance from Gov't to allow Warriors to travel theirs was only guess work too. AFL is hoping to start in June, but once again they not sure because of travel. I know Aus rugby is a basket case, but shouldn't you as a rugby man (that you claim to be) be doing things to support them? Not coming into rugby sites and attack them? Or is that what happens in your world. I fortunate that most of my Aussie rugby mates tend to be more pro rugby! I worry for this country if there too many more like you around I really do. I just relieved you not a kiwi!!

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 10:36 am 

Why not just wait? There's no financial pressure. WR wont pressure RA to pay back the money. In fact the coronavirus is a gift. First a cut in players salary, then a handout from WR. Then there's the possibility of only playing the most profitable games - Tests. RA are in a happy position right now.

NRL are desperate hence the push to start.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 10:41 am 

CrazyIslander wrote:
RA are in a happy position right now.

:lol:

Yeah, "happy" if you measure happiness on a scale that runs from "0 to greivous".

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 11:03 am 

Demilich wrote:
CrazyIslander wrote:

Yeah, "happy" if you measure happiness on a scale that runs from "0 to greivous".

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 11:32 am 

Demilich wrote:
CrazyIslander wrote:

What's there not to like? RA had braced itself for a bad year. We would've struggled in SR anyway.
Instead, we've skipped SR. Tick. Handout from WR. Tick. Cut player wages. Tick. NH clubs hurt financially - no need to compete with them for players. Tick. Likely to play tests only and make a profit. Tick. AFL and NRL shutdown. A-League might collapse. Tick. All TV deals might be negotiated down.Tick. RA in play for Optus, Foxtel Tick.

If I was RA I would be hoping to resume for the Test season.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 2:31 pm 

Ali's Choice wrote:
grievous wrote:

Thank you kindly for your on-topic reply. It's refreshing for you to respond without resorting to petty, personal insults. Keep it up :thumbup:

The NRL has consulted intensively with govt and health authorities. They have agreed to a set of policies and practises which health authorities believe will keep their employees safe. I won't claim to know more than the QLD and NSW state health departments.

Rugby in Australia does not exist in a vacuum. It's a highly competitive market, and right now it appears that RA has given it's main competitor a massive head start and advantage. That's unacceptable in my book. Perhaps if they spent less time writing shitty letters and sacking CEO's they would have more time to organise a domestic comp? Rugby League has created a template of health guidelines that have been approved by both the NSW and QLD governments, just copy them and start playing some Rugby.

Youre conflicting two different matters but appear to not be able to seperate the two. Every other code, even AFL aren't rushing back at the expense of peoples health and inventing Dr Covid from AFL Central like league is to sanction the comp
You are totally brainwashed by NRL's appeal to the battler angle but you are a signed on fan that wants your game back so I have to understand that doing the right thing in a league fan's book is just letting them watch league and go on the punt.
Oh and mucous wank that.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 2:42 pm 

Dan54. wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
Dan54. wrote:

Apparently not to CEO, and you the Australian here so it's your board you are rubbishing, I just a kiwi fella pointing out how badly you seem to be at reading what is happening here. I suspect they have a pretty good idea what a replacement comp is going to look like ie; a five team Aus conference played over 10 weeks as has been mentioned in a few online stories that keep slipping past you! They are from what I read wanting to make sure they got 5 teams able to travel I assume before making public announcements. As even you must know that NRL didn't know if they were starting on 28th until yesterday up until they got clearance from Gov't to allow Warriors to travel theirs was only guess work too. AFL is hoping to start in June, but once again they not sure because of travel. I know Aus rugby is a basket case, but shouldn't you as a rugby man (that you claim to be) be doing things to support them? Not coming into rugby sites and attack them? Or is that what happens in your world. I fortunate that most of my Aussie rugby mates tend to be more pro rugby! I worry for this country if there too many more like you around I really do. I just relieved you not a kiwi!!

Dont bother arguing with league fans, they just want rugby to die here, always have always will. I posted him previous links about RA planning a return to a comp, they cant "publish" one because they are doing the right thing and listening to government health advice like AFL, A league, basketball, cricket et al not inventing medical professionals like Dr Nick from the Simpsons saying its all safe this thing was a hoax. Play on boys!

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 1:49 am 

CrazyIslander wrote:
What's there not to like? RA had braced itself for a bad year. We would've struggled in SR anyway.
Instead, we've skipped SR. Tick. Handout from WR. Tick. Cut player wages. Tick. NH clubs hurt financially - no need to compete with them for players. Tick. Likely to play tests only and make a profit. Tick. AFL and NRL shutdown. A-League might collapse. Tick. All TV deals might be negotiated down.Tick. RA in play for Optus, Foxtel Tick.

If I was RA I would be hoping to resume for the Test season.

I love your positivity and your belief that COVID-19 is a great outcome for RA! I disagree that it's a good outcome for Rugby in this country.

Firstly, your comments are based on the premise that Australian players will be happy to accept their loss of earnings for season 2020 and that the NH club season won't restart anytime in the near future. It's also based n the premise that test Rugby and international travel will open up again soon - an unlikey scenario IMO. And lastly it's based on your belief that the NRL won't restart anytime soon and that Rugby fans and unpaid RA contracted athletes won't look to switch codes. I think you're wrong on both counts.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 1:51 am 

Dan54. wrote:

Ah the old 'you're not really a Kiwi' gambit. I've been copping that trolling angle since Real Crusader was partying at 'O Week' despite being born in Christchurch and loyally following the ABs and Crusaders on this forum for 15 years. Please do better Dan.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 2:20 am 

Just think of the NRL as cannon fodder, the canaries in the mine. It makes sense then.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 2:25 am 

blackblackblack wrote:
Just think of the NRL as cannon fodder, the canaries in the mine. It makes sense then.

One outbreak of COVID-19 in a squad and this turns into a messy, public humiliation for the NRL very quickly. At least the Warriors players will have plenty of time to catch up on their reading if they have to return to NZ and undertake another quarantine - so that's a potential silver lining.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 3:57 am 

Ali's Choice wrote:
blackblackblack wrote:

One outbreak of COVID-19 in a squad and this turns into a messy, public humiliation for the NRL very quickly. At least the Warriors players will have plenty of time to catch up on their reading if they have to return to NZ and undertake another quarantine - so that's a potential silver lining.

Interesting assumption that anyone that plays for the Warriors can read.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 4:37 am 

Let the NRL start and rugby can follow. The virus brings acceptance amongst player/fans that there's no rugby.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 4:42 am 

Zakar wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
blackblackblack wrote:

Interesting assumption that anyone that plays for the Warriors can read.

Given the quality of teaching in NZ vs AUS I’d say....

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 4:44 am 

CrazyIslander wrote:
Let the NRL start and rugby can follow.

:lol: that's exactly what is happening. The NRL has fought to restart its comp, whilst RA is asleep at the wheel and seemingly has no plans at all. If Rugby League can start on May 28, why can't Rugby? Is it a lack of will? Lazy administrators?

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 5:14 am 

Ali's Choice wrote:
CrazyIslander wrote:
Let the NRL start and rugby can follow.

:lol: that's exactly what is happening. The NRL has fought to restart its comp, whilst RA is asleep at the wheel and seemingly has no plans at all. If Rugby League can start on May 28, why can't Rugby? Is it a lack of will? Lazy administrators?

NRL's action is driven by desperation. It needs money. It cant even get a loan. RA are not desperate, they have uncle WR's money. You do realise the virus is actually dangerous dont you? Lockdown was a serious decision about a serious matter. It should not be taken lightly. Let the desperado NRL take the risk.