Those three slaves found in SW London ???

All things Rugby
Openside

Those three slaves found in SW London ???

Post by Openside »

Whats the scoop on this as it can't be a fritzl or the American Bus Driver scenario as I hear on the radio on the way to work this morning that the women were 'saved' last month and the elderly pair who held them captive have been released on bail :shock:

doesn't on the face of it sound like a bale-able offence.

also the fact that all of them have been enslaved for 30 years and one of them is 30 does that mean the filipino was pregnant when abducted or did she bear the captors child??
Azlan Roar

Re: Those three slaves found in SW London ???

Post by Azlan Roar »

Openside wrote: doesn't on the face of it sound like a bale-able offence.
dantedelew

Post by dantedelew »

Openside wrote:Whats the scoop on this as it can't be a fritzl or the American Bus Driver scenario as I hear on the radio on the way to work this morning that the women were 'saved' last month and the elderly pair who held them captive have been released on bail :shock:

also the fact that all of them have been enslaved for 30 years and one of them is 30 does that mean the filipino was pregnant when abducted or did she bear the captors child??
I don't think there's a Filipino involved is there?
On the radio this morning they said that there didn't appear to be sexual abuse involved and that it was being looked at as domestic slavery/servitude.
Wilson's Toffee

Post by Wilson's Toffee »

Hell.

And Brazil of this parish was pissed off because the South Africans were reluctant to free their slaves back in 1834 ... Talk of bloody double standards !!
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

Is there a thread apart from this one?

Pretty shocking story, horrible stuff. Hopefully the scum that perpetrated this get locked away for a long time.
Petros

Post by Petros »

And described as non-British. Bit perturbing that no one nearby noticed the oddity of things in that house
Wilson's Toffee

Post by Wilson's Toffee »

Openside wrote:
dantedelew wrote:
Openside wrote:Whats the scoop on this as it can't be a fritzl or the American Bus Driver scenario as I hear on the radio on the way to work this morning that the women were 'saved' last month and the elderly pair who held them captive have been released on bail :shock:

On the radio this morning they said that there didn't appear to be sexual abuse involved and that it was being looked at as domestic slavery/servitude.

The first report had her as Filipino, I think that has been corrected to British (of Filipino origin)

I have read Malaysian.
Openside

Post by Openside »

dantedelew wrote:

The first report had her as Filipino, I think that has been corrected to British (of Filipino origin)
lamby

Post by lamby »

Wilson's Toffee wrote:Hell.

And Brazil of this parish was pissed off because the South Africans were reluctant to free their slaves back in 1834 ... Talk of bloody double standards !!
none of those involved are english, so nurrr :P

there's an irish woman, and apparently some saffas of Boer extraction, probably..... ;)
Openside

Post by Openside »

Bullettyme wrote:Is there a thread apart from this one?

Pretty shocking story, horrible stuff. Hopefully the scum that perpetrated this get locked away for a long time.

Agreed but that is the odd thing you wouldn't have seen Fritzl or that American chap (since killed himself) released on bail??
Psychologist

Post by Psychologist »

Openside wrote:
dantedelew wrote:

So the original two slaves were Filipino, and their child to the captor was British (of Filipino origin)?

Which religious culture produced the captors, I wonder?
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

Openside wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:Is there a thread apart from this one?

Agreed but that is the odd thing you wouldn't have seen Fritzl or that American chap (since killed himself) released on bail??
Definitely not, disgusting monsters. Pretty f**ked legal system if you're letting complete monsters like this out on bail.
Womack

Post by Womack »

Let's face it, this is a crap Fritzl. Where's the dungeon of horror? Where's the incest? Where's the amusing neighbour saying funny stuff on the news? All we have is a trio of captives who spent ages on the phone to a bunch of do-gooders, who eventually had the genius idea of suggesting they walk out the front door. fudge's sake, we can't do anything right.
Last edited by Womack on Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

Womack wrote:Let's face it, this is a crap Fritzl. Where's the dungeon of horror? Where's the incest? Where's the amusing neighbour saying funny stuff on the news? All we have is a trio of captives who spent ages on the phone to a bunch of do-gooders, who eventually had the genius idea of suggesting they walk out the front door. fudge's sake, we can't do anything right.
we did have the tv reporters being very coy and vague about which bit of south london it was.

whilst standing outside elephant and castle tube
6roucho

Post by 6roucho »

Psychologist wrote:
Openside wrote:
dantedelew wrote:

So the original two slaves were Filipino, and their child to the captor was British (of Filipino origin)?

Since the Phillipines is 80% Catholic, then statistically Catholicism.
Harden up!!!

Post by Harden up!!! »

6roucho wrote:
Psychologist wrote:
Openside wrote:
dantedelew wrote:

Since the Phillipines is 80% Catholic, then statistically Catholicism.
I thought they where saying the victims where filipino? Though there's a good chance the offenders might be filipino themselves or have some link to the country.
Openside

Post by Openside »

Psychologist wrote:
Openside wrote:
dantedelew wrote:

Sorry dodgy memory I meant malaysian not filipino and apparently the other woman is Irish :?
6roucho

Post by 6roucho »

Now the National Enquirer is reporting that one of them is from the moon.
Harden up!!!

Post by Harden up!!! »

Openside wrote:
Psychologist wrote:
Openside wrote:
dantedelew wrote:

Sorry dodgy memory I meant malaysian not filipino and apparently the other woman is Irish :?
so......are most malays muslim? thats if they are *ethnic* malays right? Anyway we call all speculate on the religious background of the captors cause we have no clue what, nationality/ethnicity whatever they are.
6roucho

Post by 6roucho »

Harden up!!! wrote:so......are most malays muslim? thats if they are *ethnic* malays right?
Malays must be Muslim. Malay isn't the same as Malaysian.
Bowens

Post by Bowens »

Malay vs Filipino is a bit like Greek vs Turkish. They're very similar groups, one is identified with Islam, the other with Christianity. There's a fair concentration of Muslims in the southern Philippines, but they tend to allign themselves either with Malaysia or identify as a unique group altogether. Ethnic Malays in Malaysia are actually Muslim by law, iirc.
Harden up!!!

Post by Harden up!!! »

6roucho wrote:
Harden up!!! wrote:so......are most malays muslim? thats if they are *ethnic* malays right?

Oh I stand corrected then, I was confused I actually thought they where an actual ethnic group of austronesian origin. I thought they where first followed the hindu religion then most of the where converted to islam, though some still keep to the hindu faith. And the majority of the people in malaysia are of malay origins, but its not a huge majority, like not 80% or anything, as there are a lot of chinese and others in malaysia.

Anyway I wonder how they ended up in the U.K some human trafficing ring for sex slaves or something? Though how they get their hands on the irish woman? Same way or they all just abducted? Abducted while still children or teenagers/adults. Lots of facts about this case we don't have, be interesting when it comes to light, good thing they are *finally free* 30 years....................shit 30 years of hell it probably was.
Openside

Post by Openside »

Harden up!!! wrote:
6roucho wrote:

Oh I stand corrected then, I was confused I actually thought they where an actual ethnic group of austronesian origin. I thought they where first followed the hindu religion then most of the where converted to islam, though some still keep to the hindu faith. And the majority of the people in malaysia are of malay origins, but its not a huge majority, like not 80% or anything, as there are a lot of chinese and others in malaysia.

Anyway I wonder how they ended up in the U.K some human trafficing ring for sex slaves or something? Though how they get their hands on the irish woman? Same way or they all just abducted? Abducted while still children or teenagers/adults. Lots of facts about this case we don't have, be interesting when it comes to light, good thing they are *finally free* 30 years....................shit 30 years of hell it probably was.

They were living in Lambeth the 30 years of hell is a given :P
Mad suppet

Post by Mad suppet »

It's hard to imagine what it must be like to be treated like this for 30 years. I've only been married for 2 and a half years.
village

Post by village »

Malay vs Filipino is a bit like Greek vs Turkish. They're very similar groups,
Not at all. Malay and Indonesians share common ethnic roots. Filipinos are totally different.

My Malay mother in law is off back home after 3 months helping out as our nanny. Bit worried the fuzz will be kicking our door down.
fatman

Post by fatman »

'Slave' women rescued: Three held in 'horrific conditions'

Aneeta Prem, Freedom Charity: "We've ensured they're in a place of safety"
Continue reading the main story
Related Stories

Reaction to 'slavery' case
Women 'held as slaves for 30 years'
Q and A: Modern slavery in the UK

Three women rescued from a house after allegedly being held as slaves for 30 years were kept in "horrific conditions", a charity has said.

Freedom Charity said it had been called by a woman who said she and two others were being held in south London.

A Malaysian woman, 69, an Irish woman, 57, and a Briton, 30, were rescued on 25 October, it emerged on Thursday.

A 67-year-old man and woman, understood to be married, were arrested in Lambeth and later bailed until January.

Det Insp Kevin Hyland, from the Metropolitan Police's human trafficking unit, said: "These women are highly traumatised, having been held in servitude for at least 30 years with no real exposure to the outside world, and, trying to find out exactly what has happened over three decades will understandably take some time."
'Ordinary street'

The women were found following phone conversations between the charity and the 57-year-old, who had secretly gained access to a phone.
Continue reading the main story
Analysis

Criminal psychologist, Dr David Holmes

At the moment there are two things going on, one is trying to normalise and help the ladies involved, but at the same time the prosecution case has to advance.

They will leave the women to some degree to normalise and get used to the idea they're not actually captives and then they will apply bits of therapy as and where needed, but slowly, progressively.

To actually be held psychologically, coerced into a situation where they not only fear their captors but also fear their being released: they almost fear not being believed, so, they're in a situation in plain sight where they're being held with everyone in London passing by, looking at them and treating the whole household as normal.

It's difficult for them to unpick the layers as to who is actually their friend and their captor.

She first called on 18 October and there followed a number of phone conversations over a week.

The three women eventually left the property when the occupants of the house were not around, the charity said.

They were met by police and representatives from the group, and were then moved to a safe location.

Speaking to the BBC, Aneeta Prem, founder of Freedom Charity, said it was investigating how the women had remained hidden for so long.

"In a very busy capital city we often don't know our neighbours. We're looking at people who were kept against their will in an ordinary residential street in central London," she said.

Ms Prem said of the initial contact with the Irish woman: "She said she had been held against her will.

"She was able to use a phone but that was done in a very secret way. The people in the house didn't know she had it.

Det Insp Kevin Hyland: "We have never seen anything of this magnitude"

"It was a process of just over a week where there was lots of phone calls and they gained the trust of the charity, and by doing that they felt confident to reveal enough information.

"Obviously the police were involved, and they managed to walk out of the house when nobody was around.

"We were waiting for them with the police and we managed to get them to a place of safety.

"They have absolutely nothing now and as a charity we're trying to support them.

"It was a very emotional time. When we got the message they were outside the front door, the whole call centre erupted in cheers and there were tears, and everyone was incredibly emotional to know we had helped to rescue three ladies who had been held in such horrific conditions."
'Some freedom'

The 30-year-old had spent her whole life in captivity, police believe, and officers are trying to establish whether she was born in the house.

It is not yet known if the women are related.

Officers said the arrested couple were not British nationals and it was "very unlikely" that the alleged victims were related to them because of their nationalities.

Det Insp Hyland said they had "never seen anything of this magnitude before".

He added that the women had had controlled lives and spent most of their time indoors, but they had some freedom.

Police said the facts were being established slowly with specialist workers assisting the women.

Home Office minister James Brokenshire told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "Slavery is one of those issues which people felt had been consigned to the history books.

"The sad reality is that it is still there. We have seen increases year on year in the number of cases reported, and I expect that will continue to increase."

Mr Brokenshire is taking a Slavery Bill through Parliament, which will introduce a maximum life sentence for slave-owners and create a new commissioner to tackle the problem.
Bowens

Post by Bowens »

village wrote:
Not at all. Malay and Indonesians share common ethnic roots. Filipinos are totally different.

My Malay mother in law is off back home after 3 months helping out as our nanny. Bit worried the fuzz will be kicking our door down.
I don't think you understood my point. I would have said Turks and Azeris if I was looking for a direct comparison. The issue here is religion and how it relates to ethnic group/nationality in that region.

But I like how you fit in that your MIL is Malay in an attempt to give yourself more credibility.
dantedelew

Post by dantedelew »

Bowens wrote:
village wrote:

I don't think you understood my point. I would have said Turks and Azeris if I was looking for a direct comparison. The issue here is religion and how it relates to ethnic group/nationality in that region.

But I like how you fit in that your MIL is Malay in an attempt to give yourself more credibility.
None of this has any relevance to the slavery case being discussed.
karahi

Post by karahi »

Openside wrote:

For the love of god Openside, will you please stop giving us the benefit of your legal knowledge?
Openside

Post by Openside »

karahi wrote:
Openside wrote:

For the love of god Openside, will you please stop giving us the benefit of your legal knowledge?

??? So you think two people who have imprisoned 3 people for 30 years is the sort of crime you should get bail for?? If that isn't what has happened, I am covered by my 'on the face it rider' :D
village

Post by village »

Maybe I did misunderstand your point. Not altogether certain there was one to understand though. What has religion got to do with Lambeth slavery?
dantedelew

Post by dantedelew »

Openside wrote:
karahi wrote:
Openside wrote:

??? So you think two people who have imprisoned 3 people for 30 years is the sort of crime you should get bail for?? If that isn't what has happened, I am covered by my 'on the face it rider' :D
Are they a threat to the public or themselves? Are they a flight risk? etc
I though they were the kind of questions that are used to determine bail or not.
karahi

Post by karahi »

Openside wrote:
karahi wrote:
Openside wrote:

With the greatest of respect, it would help if you started with the faintest of inklings about the laws surrounding bail, rather than just making it up. If you don't know, ask, but please don't pretend that there's such a thing as a "baleable" offence or that you'd recognise one if there was.

For your edification, the presumption at law is that after a person has been charged, he or she must be released, either with or without bail. There is no provision at law which excludes certain charges from bail.
Openside

Post by Openside »

dantedelew wrote:
Openside wrote:
karahi wrote:
Openside wrote:

I though they were the kind of questions that are used to determine bail or not.

Well they have imprisoned three people for 30 years so risk to the public potentially yes and if convicted will spend the rest of their lives in Prison so flight risk - Yes!! plus the severity of the crime.
6roucho

Post by 6roucho »

Harden up!!! wrote:
6roucho wrote:

You needn't stand corrected. What you posted is correct, except that Malays must be Muslim by law.
dantedelew

Post by dantedelew »

Openside wrote:
dantedelew wrote:
Openside wrote:
karahi wrote:
Openside wrote:

Well they have imprisoned three people for 30 years so risk to the public potentially yes and if convicted will spend the rest of their lives in Prison so flight risk - Yes!! plus the severity of the crime.
You're sounding rather Bill-esque at the moment.
Openside

Post by Openside »

karahi wrote:
Openside wrote:
karahi wrote:
Openside wrote:

With the greatest of respect, it would help if you started with the faintest of inklings about the laws surrounding bail, rather than just making it up. If you don't know, ask, but please don't pretend that there's such a thing as a "baleable" offence or that you'd recognise one if there was.

For your edification, the presumption at law is that after a person has been charged, he or she must be released, either with or without bail. There is no provision at law which excludes certain charges from bail.

I do understand the basic ins and outs surrounding bail, I haven't as you say made it up, I have merely expressed surprise that two people who 'on the details given so far' appear to have imprisoned 3 people for 30 years are considered bail worthy.In other similar cases the alleged offender is remanded in custody. No more or less than that - FFS why are people so jumpy??
fatman

Post by fatman »

I dunno how likely it is that they'll repeat offend ahead of it coming to court. flight risk I'll grant you although passports have probably been confiscated and I don't know that these are two master criminals wtih underworld connections we're talking about.
karahi

Post by karahi »

Openside wrote:

Well they have imprisoned three people for 30 years so risk to the public potentially yes
What are they going to do? Take on more slaves whilst they're being prosecuted for slavery and the police know where they live? Get real.
and if convicted will spend the rest of their lives in Prison so flight risk - Yes!!
Not really, if they surrender their passports and have no continuing affiliations to another country.
plus the severity of the crime.
Not relevant.

People in the UK are still considered to be innocent until proven guilty, and if there's no real risk that they'll run off or be dangerous to others or themselves, are entitled to bail.
Harden up!!!

Post by Harden up!!! »

6roucho wrote:
Harden up!!! wrote:
6roucho wrote:

You needn't stand corrected. What you posted is correct, except that Malays must be Muslim by law.
Thanks!!! I didn't know that...wow thats a bit extreme? This is only in malaysia right?