The Official UCI Pro Cycling Thread

All things Rugby
User avatar
TheFrog
Posts: 14383
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official UCI Pro Cycling Thread

Post by TheFrog »

Alaphilippe is either not in shape, and this is is Classic seasons going pear shaped or he is already past his best. But he couldn't follow this time, and not even the likes of Kwiatkowski or Carapaz during the winning move.
iarmhiman
Posts: 45347
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Dublin

Re: The Official UCI Pro Cycling Thread

Post by iarmhiman »

TheFrog wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:57 pm Alaphilippe is either not in shape, and this is is Classic seasons going pear shaped or he is already past his best. But he couldn't follow this time, and not even the likes of Kwiatkowski or Carapaz during the winning move.
I think a race with more climbs and less sprints may suit him. Maybe he's conditioning for GC in a grand tour.
User avatar
blindcider
Posts: 8497
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official UCI Pro Cycling Thread

Post by blindcider »

I've seen the official photo finish on other sites and there is less than a tyre's width between Pidcock and Van Aert. What an awesome finish. Certainly looked like Pidcock took it on the TV coverage
User avatar
DOB
Posts: 20290
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official UCI Pro Cycling Thread

Post by DOB »

Even on the official photo it looks odd, but VanAert has whitewall tires versus Pidcock’s black sidewalls, which might contribute to the optical illusion.

Watched the last 40km there, was a good race. Definitely better than when they used to just finish atop the Cauberg.
Mick Mannock
Posts: 26736
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official UCI Pro Cycling Thread

Post by Mick Mannock »

We are being spoiled with the current crop of amazing cyclists.
iarmhiman
Posts: 45347
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Dublin

Re: The Official UCI Pro Cycling Thread

Post by iarmhiman »

I don't think I've enjoyed a classics season more in a long time.

We've so many exciting stars now:

Classics Puncheurs:

Kasper Asgreen
MVDP
Van Aert
Alaphillipe
Piddcock
Van Avermaet

Sprints:

Sam Bennett
Cav
Caleb Ewen
Sagan
Arnaud Demare

GC:

Geoghegan Hart
Roglic
Pogacar
Bernal
Dumoulin

Time Trialists:

Remi Cavagna
Roglic
Pogacar


There are so many more

Two big classics this week including a monument, then onto the 1st of the grand tours the Giro.
User avatar
guy smiley
Posts: 36503
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: in transit

Re: The Official UCI Pro Cycling Thread

Post by guy smiley »

^^ Cav?

Got a summary of Wout van Aert's year so far here I've lifted from reddit...
So far he has participated in 21 races:
7 cyclocross races,
7 one day road races and
7 stages in Tirreno-Adriatico.

On these 21 race days, he won 7 times, finished on the podium 9 more times and was not on the podium 5 times. In Tirreno-Adriatico he was also 1st in the points classification and 2nd in the overall classification.

Cyclocross

Jan 01st: 2nd place - GP Sven Nys
Jan 03rd: 2nd place - World Cup Hulst
Jan 09th: 1st place - Belgian National Championships
Jan 16th: 1st place - Zilvermeercross
Jan 23rd: 2nd place - Flandriencross
Jan 24th: 1st place - World Cup Overijse
Jan 31st: 2nd place - World Championships

Road cycling

March 06th: 4th place - Strade Bianche
March 10th: 1st place - Tirreno-Adriatico Stage 1
March 11th: 3rd place - Tirreno-Adriatico Stage 2
March 12th: 2nd place - Tirreno-Adriatico Stage 3
March 13th: 9th place - Tirreno-Adriatico Stage 4
March 14th: 3rd place - Tirreno-Adriatico Stage 5
March 15th: 13th place - Tirreno-Adriatico Stage 6
March 16th: 1st place - Tirreno-Adriatico Stage 7 (ITT)
March 10th-16th: 2nd place - Tirreno-Adriatico Overall Classification
March 10th-16th: 1st place - Tirreno-Adriatico Points Classification
March 20th: 3rd place - Milan San Remo
March 26th: 11th place - E3 Saxo Bank Classic
March 28th: 1st place - Gent-Wevelgem
April 04th; 6th place - Tour of Flanders
April 14th: 2nd place - De Brabantse Pijl
April 18th: 1st place - Amstel Gold Race
Holy mcnuggets.
iarmhiman
Posts: 45347
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Dublin

Re: The Official UCI Pro Cycling Thread

Post by iarmhiman »

guy smiley wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:47 am ^^ Cav?

Got a summary of Wout van Aert's year so far here I've lifted from reddit...
So far he has participated in 21 races:
7 cyclocross races,
7 one day road races and
7 stages in Tirreno-Adriatico.

On these 21 race days, he won 7 times, finished on the podium 9 more times and was not on the podium 5 times. In Tirreno-Adriatico he was also 1st in the points classification and 2nd in the overall classification.

Cyclocross

Jan 01st: 2nd place - GP Sven Nys
Jan 03rd: 2nd place - World Cup Hulst
Jan 09th: 1st place - Belgian National Championships
Jan 16th: 1st place - Zilvermeercross
Jan 23rd: 2nd place - Flandriencross
Jan 24th: 1st place - World Cup Overijse
Jan 31st: 2nd place - World Championships

Road cycling

March 06th: 4th place - Strade Bianche
March 10th: 1st place - Tirreno-Adriatico Stage 1
March 11th: 3rd place - Tirreno-Adriatico Stage 2
March 12th: 2nd place - Tirreno-Adriatico Stage 3
March 13th: 9th place - Tirreno-Adriatico Stage 4
March 14th: 3rd place - Tirreno-Adriatico Stage 5
March 15th: 13th place - Tirreno-Adriatico Stage 6
March 16th: 1st place - Tirreno-Adriatico Stage 7 (ITT)
March 10th-16th: 2nd place - Tirreno-Adriatico Overall Classification
March 10th-16th: 1st place - Tirreno-Adriatico Points Classification
March 20th: 3rd place - Milan San Remo
March 26th: 11th place - E3 Saxo Bank Classic
March 28th: 1st place - Gent-Wevelgem
April 04th; 6th place - Tour of Flanders
April 14th: 2nd place - De Brabantse Pijl
April 18th: 1st place - Amstel Gold Race
Holy mcnuggets.
Cavendish had a good week in the Tour of Turkey.He won a few sprint finishes

Seems to have resurrected himself with the return to Quick Step.

Looks though like Sam Bennett will be chosen for the Tour though to defend the points classification.
User avatar
TheFrog
Posts: 14383
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official UCI Pro Cycling Thread

Post by TheFrog »

You have to take into account the competition Cab was confronted to... hardly on an equal footing with the TDF selection of sprinters.
User avatar
Sefton
Posts: 16743
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official UCI Pro Cycling Thread

Post by Sefton »

It would be carnage on here if Cav got selected for the TDF and not SB.
iarmhiman
Posts: 45347
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Dublin

Re: The Official UCI Pro Cycling Thread

Post by iarmhiman »

Sefton wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:23 pm It would be carnage on here if Cav got selected for the TDF and not SB.
Already been decided:

https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/to ... /startlist
iarmhiman
Posts: 45347
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Dublin

Re: The Official UCI Pro Cycling Thread

Post by iarmhiman »

MVDP is in the TDF.

It's a brilliant line up this year
User avatar
DOB
Posts: 20290
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official UCI Pro Cycling Thread

Post by DOB »

iarmhiman wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:10 pm
Sefton wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:23 pm It would be carnage on here if Cav got selected for the TDF and not SB.
Already been decided:

https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/to ... /startlist
Always a work-in-progress up until the last minute before the start. And they have 9 names down for the Ineos team.

The carnage wouldn't be confined to here, mind. And it wouldn't be just the Irish either.
User avatar
blindcider
Posts: 8497
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official UCI Pro Cycling Thread

Post by blindcider »

iarmhiman wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:10 pm
Sefton wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:23 pm It would be carnage on here if Cav got selected for the TDF and not SB.
Already been decided:

https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/to ... /startlist

He doesnt have the kick to beat Ewan, Demarre (sp?) or Bennett at least, could nick a few WT stages this year though
User avatar
Beaver_Shark
Posts: 5668
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Mzansi

Re: The Official UCI Pro Cycling Thread

Post by Beaver_Shark »

iarmhiman wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:03 am I don't think I've enjoyed a classics season more in a long time.

We've so many exciting stars now:

Classics Puncheurs:

Kasper Asgreen
MVDP
Van Aert
Alaphillipe
Piddcock
Van Avermaet

Sprints:

Sam Bennett
Cav
Caleb Ewen
Sagan
Arnaud Demare

GC:

Geoghegan Hart
Roglic
Pogacar
Bernal
Dumoulin

Time Trialists:

Remi Cavagna
Roglic
Pogacar


There are so many more

Two big classics this week including a monument, then onto the 1st of the grand tours the Giro.
I agree. And even the one-week stage races have been very good so far (Paris-Nice, Tirreno-Adriatico, Catalunya, Basque, etc).

Tour of the Alps and Romandie also coming up in the next two weeks.


PS. Your list above is missing Remco Evenepoel.
User avatar
TheFrog
Posts: 14383
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official UCI Pro Cycling Thread

Post by TheFrog »

Beaver_Shark wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:43 pm
iarmhiman wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:03 am I don't think I've enjoyed a classics season more in a long time.

We've so many exciting stars now:

Classics Puncheurs:

Kasper Asgreen
MVDP
Van Aert
Alaphillipe
Piddcock
Van Avermaet

Sprints:

Sam Bennett
Cav
Caleb Ewen
Sagan
Arnaud Demare

GC:

Geoghegan Hart
Roglic
Pogacar
Bernal
Dumoulin

Time Trialists:

Remi Cavagna
Roglic
Pogacar


There are so many more

Two big classics this week including a monument, then onto the 1st of the grand tours the Giro.
I agree. And even the one-week stage races have been very good so far (Paris-Nice, Tirreno-Adriatico, Catalunya, Basque, etc).

Tour of the Alps and Romandie also coming up in the next two weeks.


PS. Your list above is missing Remco Evenepoel.
Sivakov deserve to be mentioned too. Carapaz is a useful climber with a Giro to his name too. Dumoulin no longer ridding.

And you have the Northern Classic monsters to add to that list too. Guys like Turgis or Senechal for the French belong to the promising performers.
User avatar
DOB
Posts: 20290
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official UCI Pro Cycling Thread

Post by DOB »

TheFrog wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:08 pm
Beaver_Shark wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:43 pm
iarmhiman wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:03 am I don't think I've enjoyed a classics season more in a long time.

We've so many exciting stars now:

Classics Puncheurs:

Kasper Asgreen
MVDP
Van Aert
Alaphillipe
Piddcock
Van Avermaet

Sprints:

Sam Bennett
Cav
Caleb Ewen
Sagan
Arnaud Demare

GC:

Geoghegan Hart
Roglic
Pogacar
Bernal
Dumoulin

Time Trialists:

Remi Cavagna
Roglic
Pogacar


There are so many more

Two big classics this week including a monument, then onto the 1st of the grand tours the Giro.
I agree. And even the one-week stage races have been very good so far (Paris-Nice, Tirreno-Adriatico, Catalunya, Basque, etc).

Tour of the Alps and Romandie also coming up in the next two weeks.


PS. Your list above is missing Remco Evenepoel.
Sivakov deserve to be mentioned too. Carapaz is a useful climber with a Giro to his name too. Dumoulin no longer ridding.

And you have the Northern Classic monsters to add to that list too. Guys like Turgis or Senechal for the French belong to the promising performers.
Stuyven only won Milan-San Remo. No need to mention him, obvs.
User avatar
TheFrog
Posts: 14383
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official UCI Pro Cycling Thread

Post by TheFrog »

DOB wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:12 pm
TheFrog wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:08 pm
Beaver_Shark wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:43 pm
iarmhiman wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:03 am I don't think I've enjoyed a classics season more in a long time.

We've so many exciting stars now:

Classics Puncheurs:

Kasper Asgreen
MVDP
Van Aert
Alaphillipe
Piddcock
Van Avermaet

Sprints:

Sam Bennett
Cav
Caleb Ewen
Sagan
Arnaud Demare

GC:

Geoghegan Hart
Roglic
Pogacar
Bernal
Dumoulin

Time Trialists:

Remi Cavagna
Roglic
Pogacar


There are so many more

Two big classics this week including a monument, then onto the 1st of the grand tours the Giro.
I agree. And even the one-week stage races have been very good so far (Paris-Nice, Tirreno-Adriatico, Catalunya, Basque, etc).

Tour of the Alps and Romandie also coming up in the next two weeks.


PS. Your list above is missing Remco Evenepoel.
Sivakov deserve to be mentioned too. Carapaz is a useful climber with a Giro to his name too. Dumoulin no longer ridding.

And you have the Northern Classic monsters to add to that list too. Guys like Turgis or Senechal for the French belong to the promising performers.
Stuyven only won Milan-San Remo. No need to mention him, obvs.
Indeed. :thumbup:
User avatar
P in VG
Posts: 3033
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:22 pm
Location: Gogledd Cymru

Re: The Official UCI Pro Cycling Thread

Post by P in VG »

DOB wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:12 pm
TheFrog wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:08 pm
Beaver_Shark wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:43 pm
iarmhiman wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:03 am I don't think I've enjoyed a classics season more in a long time.

We've so many exciting stars now:

Classics Puncheurs:

Kasper Asgreen
MVDP
Van Aert
Alaphillipe
Piddcock
Van Avermaet

Sprints:

Sam Bennett
Cav
Caleb Ewen
Sagan
Arnaud Demare

GC:

Geoghegan Hart
Roglic
Pogacar
Bernal
Dumoulin

Time Trialists:

Remi Cavagna
Roglic
Pogacar


There are so many more

Two big classics this week including a monument, then onto the 1st of the grand tours the Giro.
I agree. And even the one-week stage races have been very good so far (Paris-Nice, Tirreno-Adriatico, Catalunya, Basque, etc).

Tour of the Alps and Romandie also coming up in the next two weeks.


PS. Your list above is missing Remco Evenepoel.
Sivakov deserve to be mentioned too. Carapaz is a useful climber with a Giro to his name too. Dumoulin no longer ridding.

And you have the Northern Classic monsters to add to that list too. Guys like Turgis or Senechal for the French belong to the promising performers.
Stuyven only won Milan-San Remo. No need to mention him, obvs.
....or World Time trial champ Filip Ganna
User avatar
TheFrog
Posts: 14383
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official UCI Pro Cycling Thread

Post by TheFrog »

Mind you, Marc Hirschi isn't an exciting rider worth a mention either.
User avatar
DOB
Posts: 20290
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official UCI Pro Cycling Thread

Post by DOB »

Tbh, on what he's shown so far for UAE, no, no he isn't.
User avatar
Beaver_Shark
Posts: 5668
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Mzansi

Re: The Official UCI Pro Cycling Thread

Post by Beaver_Shark »

Alaphilippe beasted that.

Perhaps Roglic could have waited another 50m?
iarmhiman
Posts: 45347
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Dublin

Re: The Official UCI Pro Cycling Thread

Post by iarmhiman »

Beaver_Shark wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:20 pm Alaphilippe beasted that.

Perhaps Roglic could have waited another 50m?
Missed it. Won't miss this Saturday though
User avatar
TheFrog
Posts: 14383
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official UCI Pro Cycling Thread

Post by TheFrog »

DOB wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:25 am Tbh, on what he's shown so far for UAE, no, no he isn't.
He only just started his season, didn't he?
User avatar
DOB
Posts: 20290
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official UCI Pro Cycling Thread

Post by DOB »

TheFrog wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:06 pm
DOB wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:25 am Tbh, on what he's shown so far for UAE, no, no he isn't.
He only just started his season, didn't he?
He rode Catalunya and Itzulia, and was pretty much absent in both. Maybe he’s riding himself into form after a late start, but for the money he’s supposedly on, UAE are going to start expecting results soon.
User avatar
TheFrog
Posts: 14383
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official UCI Pro Cycling Thread

Post by TheFrog »

DOB wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:33 pm
TheFrog wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:06 pm
DOB wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:25 am Tbh, on what he's shown so far for UAE, no, no he isn't.
He only just started his season, didn't he?
He rode Catalunya and Itzulia, and was pretty much absent in both. Maybe he’s riding himself into form after a late start, but for the money he’s supposedly on, UAE are going to start expecting results soon.
TdF target?
User avatar
TheFrog
Posts: 14383
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official UCI Pro Cycling Thread

Post by TheFrog »

Beaver_Shark wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:20 pm Alaphilippe beasted that.

Perhaps Roglic could have waited another 50m?
Just realized 3 French riders made the Top 10! With Alaphilippe, Barguil placed 5th and I think Gaudu made 7th or 8th.
User avatar
P in VG
Posts: 3033
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:22 pm
Location: Gogledd Cymru

Re: The Official UCI Pro Cycling Thread

Post by P in VG »

TheFrog wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:18 am
DOB wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:33 pm
TheFrog wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:06 pm
DOB wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:25 am Tbh, on what he's shown so far for UAE, no, no he isn't.
He only just started his season, didn't he?
He rode Catalunya and Itzulia, and was pretty much absent in both. Maybe he’s riding himself into form after a late start, but for the money he’s supposedly on, UAE are going to start expecting results soon.
TdF target?
I reckon he'll be stage hunting at the TDF (obviously he'll have to work for Pogacar some days). There's no doubting his talent - although he'll have to adapt to riding with a target on his back
User avatar
DOB
Posts: 20290
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official UCI Pro Cycling Thread

Post by DOB »

Remco Evenepoel has opted against getting vaxed ahead of the Giro for fear of side effects. And his team are fcuking letting him.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/evenep ... pRgY_CGVOc


Cue jubilation from the 5G tinfoil hat brigade all over Social Medical School.
Mick Mannock
Posts: 26736
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official UCI Pro Cycling Thread

Post by Mick Mannock »

DOB wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:01 pm Remco Evenepoel has opted against getting vaxed ahead of the Giro for fear of side effects. And his team are fcuking letting him.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/evenep ... pRgY_CGVOc


Cue jubilation from the 5G tinfoil hat brigade all over Social Medical School.
Good for him, and his team doctor.
User avatar
DOB
Posts: 20290
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official UCI Pro Cycling Thread

Post by DOB »

Mick Mannock wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:13 pm
DOB wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:01 pm Remco Evenepoel has opted against getting vaxed ahead of the Giro for fear of side effects. And his team are fcuking letting him.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/evenep ... pRgY_CGVOc


Cue jubilation from the 5G tinfoil hat brigade all over Social Medical School.
Good for him, and his team doctor.
Mick, please don't not take this personally.

But go fcuk yourself.
Mick Mannock
Posts: 26736
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official UCI Pro Cycling Thread

Post by Mick Mannock »

DOB wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:33 pm
Mick Mannock wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:13 pm
DOB wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:01 pm Remco Evenepoel has opted against getting vaxed ahead of the Giro for fear of side effects. And his team are fcuking letting him.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/evenep ... pRgY_CGVOc


Cue jubilation from the 5G tinfoil hat brigade all over Social Medical School.
Good for him, and his team doctor.
Mick, please don't not take this personally.

But go fcuk yourself.
I do not take anything from you as significant.
iarmhiman
Posts: 45347
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Dublin

Re: The Official UCI Pro Cycling Thread

Post by iarmhiman »

Liege-Bastogne-Liege on now.

29km to go.
iarmhiman
Posts: 45347
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Dublin

Re: The Official UCI Pro Cycling Thread

Post by iarmhiman »

Alaphilippe beaten on the line 2nd year in a row.

This time Pogacar
User avatar
terryfinch
Posts: 5709
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official UCI Pro Cycling Thread

Post by terryfinch »

How they can sprint after that distance!! After 100 km I am completely fuc*ed! 😂
iarmhiman
Posts: 45347
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Dublin

Re: The Official UCI Pro Cycling Thread

Post by iarmhiman »

terryfinch wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:59 pm How they can sprint after that distance!! After 100 km I am completely fuc*ed! 😂
They're professionals
ukjim
Posts: 2317
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official UCI Pro Cycling Thread

Post by ukjim »

terryfinch wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:59 pm How they can sprint after that distance!! After 100 km I am completely fuc*ed! 😂
in a massive peloton you can use a surprisingly low amount of energy to stay in touch.
User avatar
DOB
Posts: 20290
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official UCI Pro Cycling Thread

Post by DOB »

ukjim wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:01 pm
terryfinch wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:59 pm How they can sprint after that distance!! After 100 km I am completely fuc*ed! 😂
in a massive peloton you can use a surprisingly low amount of energy to stay in touch.
...which you then have to expend to follow Woods’ attack over the 8% final climb, and then keep rolling through on the false flat after for the final 15km, at 45-50kmh, and THEN sprint.
User avatar
Beaver_Shark
Posts: 5668
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Mzansi

Re: The Official UCI Pro Cycling Thread

Post by Beaver_Shark »

Even with about 30KM to go I could tell that this wouldn't be Roglic's day. He was nowhere near the front during all the decisive attacks and always had to bridge back. His team was found wanting today.

On the other hand Ineos were very strong today though, but bizarrely burnt all their matches a bit too early. I was actually thinking Yates would launch after Carapaz was caught, but I guess he was cooked too at that stage.
User avatar
lilyw
Posts: 3195
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official UCI Pro Cycling Thread

Post by lilyw »

Beaver_Shark wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:16 pm Even with about 30KM to go I could tell that this wouldn't be Roglic's day. He was nowhere near the front during all the decisive attacks and always had to bridge back. His team was found wanting today.

On the other hand Ineos were very strong today though, but bizarrely burnt all their matches a bit too early. I was actually thinking Yates would launch after Carapaz was caught, but I guess he was cooked too at that stage.
Roglic must be due a rest soon - he seems to have been on the go all Spring.

The Ineos DS has some serious questions to answer about how they made such a hames of a brilliant position.
Post Reply