Chat Forum
It is currently Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:59 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 80  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 1:23 pm 

Snow stage :o

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 1:30 pm 

Shit. Should have worked from home today. Looks epic.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 1:32 pm 

:lol: Fuckk that. Those boys get sick at the drop of a hat as well, next few days will be interesting.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 1:37 pm 

I've really enjoyed this Giro. The final KM's of these mountain stages are frenetic! Battaglin's victory 3 days ago was very very special.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 1:39 pm 

Margin_Walker wrote:
Shit. Should have worked from home today. Looks epic.

Word. The weather has been buggering up my feed here at work.

The Stelvio must be one of the great climbs in the sport. Shame they don't finish up there this year.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 2:42 pm 

I've rudely had to do some work and can't watch. :x

What's happened here? They tried to neutralise the descent and the leader ignored it?

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 2:51 pm 

yup, some huge balls to go down fast on those slippery roads
but cataldo should get penalised for that

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 4:09 pm 

Quintan = beast :nod:

If he keeps this up he'll be way ahead on GC. Sounds an amazing stage.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 4:18 pm 

Quintana is obviously minimum a top 3 in the world climber and has been for a while.

Rogers was dragging the MR group along trying to close the gap and matching Quintana for ages.

As soon as Rogers pulls off the front the gap went out by 30seconds in no time. The 'superior' climbers in that group were nowhere near the pace.

Rogers' super-dom climbing ability the last few years. :uhoh:

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 6:04 pm 

Akkerman wrote:
Snow stage :o

Need a few stages like this in the TDF to eliminate the pi$$ed gobshites in the mankinis !

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 6:10 pm 

Swift managed to finish 25th on that. Like Stannard, he seems to love shit weather.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 8:40 pm 

Margin_Walker wrote:
Swift managed to finish 25th on that. Like Stannard, he seems to love shit weather.

The 30th place rider (at 26.00) was closer to last (at 44.00) than first. It really seems to have been a day where unless they were genuinely in contention for something, they didn't give a shit.

I guess the really impressive thing about Swift is that he was only 30s behind Basso.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 1:28 am 

Tim. wrote:
Quintana is obviously minimum a top 3 in the world climber and has been for a while.

Rogers was dragging the MR group along trying to close the gap and matching Quintana for ages.

As soon as Rogers pulls off the front the gap went out by 30seconds in no time. The 'superior' climbers in that group were nowhere near the pace.

Ryder Hjesdahl (spelling) impressed today. I thought that he was struggling with about 50kms left to ride but he fought hard to finish close to Quintana.

Uran looked a bit cooked out there today.

I love the Giro but I miss Menchov, DiLuca, racing. We all know the reasons why they're no longer there but the Giri throughout the mid/late 2000's were superb.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 1:46 am 

Miguel Indurain wrote:
Tim. wrote:

Ryder Hjesdahl (spelling) impressed today. I thought that he was struggling with about 50kms left to ride but he fought hard to finish close to Quintana.

I love the Giro but I miss Menchov, DiLuca, racing. We all know the reasons why they're no longer there but the Giri throughout the mid/late 2000's were superb.

Menchov, really? Even more boring than Evans. Did nothing for me as a rider.

Love Quintana, proper climbers are the greatest.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 1:57 am 

Dumbledore wrote:
Miguel Indurain wrote:
Tim. wrote:

Menchov, really? Even more boring than Evans. Did nothing for me as a rider.

Love Quintana, proper climbers are the greatest.

Menchov's poker face on the Mortirolo, when the pressure came on from Basso/DiLuca/Piepoli/Contador etc, used to be classic stuff.
I don't know how he managed to keep his lips clasped shut pedalling up those climbs.
(well I do know how he did it, but you get my drift).

I like Cadel. He's a gutsy rider who always fights back even on a "sans jour" day.

Quintana reminds me of Marco Pantani (RIP).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:22 am 

It appears that there is civil war at SKY.

Bradley Wiggins statement this morning says that he's not prepared to participate in this years TDF and has withdrawn from the race.

Reminds me of the LeMond/Hinault situation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:37 am 

Don't think he was in any danger of being selected anyway tbf. On form he would walk into the squad, but he has such a shit relationship with Froome, that they would rather keep them apart.

Wiggins will likely be off at end of season.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:14 pm 

Margin_Walker wrote:
Don't think he was in any danger of being selected anyway tbf. On form he would walk into the squad, but he has such a shit relationship with Froome, that they would rather keep them apart.

His form this season has been very good. Wiggo won the Tour of California, he rode well at Roubaix and Flanders.
He should be an automatic selection for the TDF based on his form.

Whether he should be selected for team cohesion is another matter.

I agree with you, he might leave SKY. Or he could continue to collect his paycheck without having to support a rider (Froome).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:01 pm 

You have to reckon he'll leave the team. Sky have put their stake on Froome now, as is only right; he's the younger stronger contender and the current champion. If Wiggins still thinks he can win the Tour, he'll have to either change teams or hope Froome breaks a leg in the next 3 weeks.

Can anyone else see Wiggo changing teams right now to get a ride in this year's Tour? It's been done before, but usually by riders whose team didn't qualify for the Tour (Ronan Pensec did it once), not guys who jsut weren't getting on well with their team. And what team would take him?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:55 pm 

GreenEdge I reckon - burnt his bridges with Garmin.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:43 pm 

Froome very dominant so far in this year's Critérium du Dauphiné and only contador can keep up. He made today's final climb look very easy.

Nibali almost a minute down now at the end of stage 2. :uhoh:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:48 pm 

What a ride by Contador, and he didn't even have teammates. Froome had no answer as Contador attacked in the last 2km.

Contador leads the Dauphine by 8 seconds.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:07 pm 

Beaver_Shark wrote:
What a ride by Contador, and he didn't even have teammates. Froome had no answer as Contador attacked in the last 2km.

Contador leads the Dauphine by 8 seconds.

He didn't need teammates to be fair. He just sat in Froome's wheel for the entire stage then attacked with just over a km to go. The dawg clearly wasn't at his best after yesterday's crash but it was well done by Contador all the same. It'll be interesting to see what Froome has left in the tank tomorrow because he's going to have to go some to overhaul those 8 seconds.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:12 pm 

Margin_Walker wrote:

Wiggins was 9th in Roubaix and won the ToC. He's riding very well indeed. Team Sky would be mad not to send Wiggins on the Tour. Froome needs to man the fudge up and stop being a big jessie. Brailsford needs a plan B and that aint Richie Porte.

Quote:

I find that unlikely as he won't find a trade team that will be willing to work around his track ambitions.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:23 pm 

Gospel wrote:
Margin_Walker wrote:

Wiggins was 9th in Roubaix and won the ToC. He's riding very well indeed. Team Sky would be mad not to send Wiggins on the Tour. Froome needs to man the fudge up and stop being a big jessie. Brailsford needs a plan B and that aint Richie Porte.

Quote:

I find that unlikely as he won't find a trade team that will be willing to work around his track ambitions.

He has been riding well this season, but was on full on can't be arsed mode in the Tour of Switzerland ITT today (or struggling) finishing 14th (won by Tony Martin). He can become disinterested very quickly, will be interesting to see whether or not he gives the rest of the race a lash or not.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:07 pm 

Incredible ride by Contador who doesn't appear to have had any teamates for the whole race. Sky have some serious worries and do not seem to have the endurance any more, Froome has been left with little support in the later part of the stages. There is no way anyone would have done that to them over the last two years

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:12 pm 

Margin_Walker wrote:
He has been riding well this season, but was on full on can't be arsed mode in the Tour of Switzerland ITT today (or struggling) finishing 14th (won by Tony Martin). He can become disinterested very quickly, will be interesting to see whether or not he gives the rest of the race a lash or not.

You're all over the place regarding Wiggins form.

I suspect he does lack motivation though. Regardless of how well he goes here he's not getting a Tour spot because Froome insists on it being all about him - which is something he criticised Wiggins for in his book.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:14 pm 

On their present form Sky badly need Wiggins, but if they genuinely can't rely on him to pull his weight I can see their concerns.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:17 pm 

BlackMac wrote:
Incredible ride by Contador who doesn't appear to have had any teamates for the whole race. Sky have some serious worries and do not seem to have the endurance any more, Froome has been left with little support in the later part of the stages. There is no way anyone would have done that to them over the last two years

What are you on about? The Sky team were excellent. They shielded their leader until the last 2km of the climb having set a pace most couldn't live with. It was over to Froome once Contador attacked on the last part of the climb. That's how this shit gets done.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:24 pm 

Gospel wrote:
BlackMac wrote:

What are you on about? The Sky team were excellent. They shielded their leader until the last 2km of the climb having set a pace most couldn't live with. It was over to Froome once Contador attacked on the last part of the climb. That's how this shit gets done.

The Sky team of old would have burnt the legs of everyone and prevented that happening. They are not managing to do that this year and seem to be burning their own candles very early in the race.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:31 pm 

BlackMac wrote:
Gospel wrote:
BlackMac wrote:

The Sky team of old would have burnt the legs of everyone and prevented that happening. They are not managing to do that this year and seem to be burning their own candles very early in the race.

Froome had five riders on that last climb. I think they put in a great shift. Did you see the state of Nibbles? Had Froome the legs to go with Contador it would have been a great day at the office.

Looking at the bigger picture they will need more climbing power for the Tour as Saxo-Tinkoff will be much stronger with Roche & co. Contador clearly wanted to go sooner today but his teammate shook his head.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:59 pm 

Froome is unravelling a bit. He went out with a point to prove and Contador marked him and then waited for his chance.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:04 pm 

Gospel wrote:
Margin_Walker wrote:

You're all over the place regarding Wiggins form.

I suspect he does lack motivation though. Regardless of how well he goes here he's not getting a Tour spot because Froome insists on it being all about him - which is something he criticised Wiggins for in his book.

Not all over the place at all (at least I don't think so). Purely on ability and form in 2014 he would walk into the TDF start list. Just don't see it happening.

Tbf neither seem massively likeable in my opinion.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:14 pm 

Cracking last stage at the Dauphine. Talansky could take this race, but Contador is comong up ridiculously fast.

Froome has totally cracked.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:17 pm 

Contador has been out of the saddle for ages. Flying up the mountain.

Really anarchic stage with Froome cooked.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:25 pm 

Contador is now my favourite for the Tour. His climbing is unreal at the moment, and perhaps only Quintana can live with him. It's a pity that Movista decided that Quintana should ride the Giro and not the Tour this year.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:36 pm 

Going to be really close here. Talanski could end up taking this. Contador slowing.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:37 pm 

Bertie 8)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:40 pm 

Talansky cracking...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:43 pm 

Talansky will get this

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 80  Next