Chat Forum
It is currently Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:25 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 80  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:50 pm 

Top win for Talansky and the best single stage of any race I've seen for a while.

Garmin really are a great team tactically.

Last edited by Margin_Walker on Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:05 pm 

Beaver_Shark wrote:
Contador is now my favourite for the Tour. His climbing is unreal at the moment, and perhaps only Quintana can live with him. It's a pity that Movista decided that Quintana should ride the Giro and not the Tour this year.

Wait, Quintana's not riding the Tour? Damn that's a shame. Is he just waiting for Froome to get a year older or something?

You want the best to be at the Tour, and Quintana is as good as there is right now.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:39 pm 

DOB wrote:
Beaver_Shark wrote:
Contador is now my favourite for the Tour. His climbing is unreal at the moment, and perhaps only Quintana can live with him. It's a pity that Movista decided that Quintana should ride the Giro and not the Tour this year.

Wait, Quintana's not riding the Tour? Damn that's a shame. Is he just waiting for Froome to get a year older or something?

You want the best to be at the Tour, and Quintana is as good as there is right now.

Yeah, Movistar decided at the beginning of the year that Quintana would do the Giro and Valverde would do the Tour. It's a big shame.

I haven't seen the profile of this year's Tour yet, and perhaps it suits Valverde more.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:57 pm 

Fantastic stage altogether. 👍

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:01 pm 

DOB wrote:
Beaver_Shark wrote:

He's the best climber. He's not the best GC rider. But the Columbians are once again kicking arse on the World Tour just as they did pre EPO.

Great win by the young American today. That must feel like a double kick in the nuts for TJ given how far off the pace he was.

Can't help but feel a tad amused at Froome's sorry finish given his efforts to keep Wiggins out of Sky's Tour team; though I wouldn't wish injury on any rider save for perhaps De Luca.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:05 am 

Finally watched the final stage of the Dauphine. Bad luck aside, Froome looked impetuous in the first stage and short of form thereafter. Wiggins seems to be sulking. I'm not sure Sky are going to be able to put a good enough team together to control the Tour.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:33 pm 

Armchair_Superstar wrote:
Finally watched the final stage of the Dauphine. Bad luck aside, Froome looked impetuous in the first stage and short of form thereafter. Wiggins seems to be sulking. I'm not sure Sky are going to be able to put a good enough team together to control the Tour.

Totally agree.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:16 pm 

Separate from Le Tour;

JTL Goooooooooooooooooooone.

Quote:
Jonathan Tiernan-Locke banned for two years and sacked by Sky
• UCI finds irregularities in Tiernan-Locke’s biological passport
• Rider stripped of 2012 Tour of Britain title

William Fotheringham
The Guardian, Thursday 17 July 2014 11.57 EDT
Jonathan Tiernan-Locke has been banned for two years
Jonathan Tiernan-Locke's doping violation occurred before he joined Team Sky, said Dave Brailsford.
After the loss of their leader and defending Tour de France champion Chris Froome due to a crash, Team Sky suffered a second body-blow in eight days when it was confirmed that Britain’s Jonathan Tiernan-Locke has received a two-year ban for a violation of the UCI’s biological passport, the first time any British athlete has been sanctioned in this way. Tiernan-Locke’s contract was terminated on Thursday by Sky, a statement on the team’s website said. He is the first athlete in the team to be sanctioned for an anti-doping offence.

Another kick in the teeth for Sky.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:31 pm 

Yeah, could have been worse for the though. It was blatantly obvious that he wasn't doping with them, given how bad he rode after moving.

Whatever processes they have in place prior to signing obviously fell down though. JTL must have been flagged as high risk given that he came from nowhere post illness to winning ToB.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:31 pm 

I think everyone expected this result. JTL was unable to keep up in training and complained that too much was being asked of him. He wasn't the same rider for Sky that he was for Endura when he won the Tour of Britain. Shame he didn't go to Garmin! He's tainted the entire squad now by association.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:35 pm 

Margin_Walker wrote:
Yeah, could have been worse for the though. It was blatantly obvious that he wasn't doping with them, given how bad he rode after moving.

Whatever processes they have in place prior to signing obviously fell down though. JTL must have been flagged as high risk given that he came from nowhere post illness to winning ToB.

Garmin were also after him and had checked him out. Brailsford thought he'd pulled off a bit of a coup.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:00 pm 

Yep, remember the race to sign him at the time. Turned out to be a hell of a catch.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:04 pm 

You have to wonder, did he think he'd get away with it? Did he think once he got into the pro ranks, someone would let him into the little secrets they all have? Or did he just expect to bluff his way to a Tour ride, maybe pick up the odd win in a minor stage race etc?

Who gets that ToB win now?

I see Wiki's already updated to reflect Nathan Haas's win.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:07 pm 

DOB wrote:
You have to wonder, did he think he'd get away with it? Did he think once he got into the pro ranks, someone would let him into the little secrets they all have? Or did he just expect to bluff his way to a Tour ride, maybe pick up the odd win in a minor stage race etc?

Totally, no idea what his plan was once he got his World Tour contract. Doesn't look like he had one.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:15 pm 

Margin_Walker wrote:
DOB wrote:

Totally, no idea what his plan was once he got his World Tour contract. Doesn't look like he had one.

He must've shown up at the first training camp, touched around the subject a little, and slowly realised "holy shit, they were actually serious about that all along... uh-oh..."

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:29 pm 

DOB wrote:
Margin_Walker wrote:
DOB wrote:

He must've shown up at the first training camp, touched around the subject a little, and slowly realised "holy shit, they were actually serious about that all along... uh-oh..."

:lol:

On the same track, I'm sure the Sky coaches had an 'oh shit' moment when he started dropping off the back of training rides.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:15 am 

Gospel wrote:
Margin_Walker wrote:

Garmin were also after him and had checked him out. Brailsford thought he'd pulled off a bit of a coup.

It shows how stupid it would be to associate it with SKY. Garmin have built their whole ethos around a clean team and they could just as easily have become embroiled.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:38 am 

Margin_Walker wrote:
On the same track, I'm sure the Sky coaches had an 'oh shit' moment when he started dropping off the back of training rides.

I've got an inside man for this sort of thing and I can tell you they were seriously f**ked off.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:53 am 

Gospel wrote:
Margin_Walker wrote:

I've got an inside man for this sort of thing and I can tell you they were seriously f**ked off.

Brailsford in damn-near full-on under-the-bus mode.

Quote:
Brailsford said that he had not spoke with his former cyclist and that he doubts whether he will. He explained that he felt “let down” by the Englishman.

“When somebody knows clearly what your stance is and they disregard and come all the same then, yeah, you do feel let down by them, there’s no denying it,” continued Brailsford. “But we’re pushing in a way to try and create a new phase of the sport.”

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:25 pm 

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/j ... rance-2014

UCI chief Brian Cookson wants Astana’s Alexandr Vinokourov to testify

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:01 pm 

Incredible image of Bartosz Huzarski's legs during the TBF

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/others ... rance.html

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:21 am 

Was Marco Pantani killed (forced to drink cocaine)?

http://www.repubblica.it/sport/2014/08/ ... ref=HREA-1

http://www.corriere.it/sport/14_agosto_ ... 05fa.shtml

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:18 pm 

Roche to Sky for next year?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:49 pm 

DOB wrote:

Well, he's a very good team rider. After years of not knowing what area he excels in, it seems to be just that. Is Deignan going to ride the Vuelta this year? Would be great to see him back there.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:02 pm 

rugbot 2.0 wrote:
DOB wrote:

Well, he's a very good team rider. After years of not knowing what area he excels in, it seems to be just that. Is Deignan going to ride the Vuelta this year? Would be great to see him back there.

I think Sky's plan was for him to go there, no real indication that that's changed. But after Froome's Tour showing, and Wiggo off sulking, their whole season strategy might be different now.

On Roche, yeah, it's clear now that he was never a top level GC contender, but he has a lot to offer as a setup man. He's now just about the same age his Da made a transition to that kind of role by moving back to Carrera.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:54 pm 

And Tinkoff hires Sagan.

http://www.cicloweb.it/news/2014/08/02/ ... ottiene-e-

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:36 pm 

Alvise Martinengo wrote:

Sagan, Basso and a couple more Cannondale guys along with Boasson Hagen, Robert Kiserlovski and a new deal for Majka. Oleg's not f**king around.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:43 pm 

Has anyone seen the Pantani film? Looks like I blinked and missed it's tiny theatrical run here but it's up on iTunes now.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:02 am 

rugbot 2.0 wrote:
Alvise Martinengo wrote:

Sagan, Basso and a couple more Cannondale guys along with Boasson Hagen, Robert Kiserlovski and a new deal for Majka. Oleg's not f**king around.

Is he gonna do a Berlusconi/AC Milan on it? Just buy up all the best players in Europe so he can have Papin sitting on the bench.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:02 am 

Slaying The Badger from ESPN's 30 for 30 series. Lemond vs Hinault in 85 and 86.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:13 am 

DOB wrote:
rugbot 2.0 wrote:
Alvise Martinengo wrote:

Is he gonna do a Berlusconi/AC Milan on it? Just buy up all the best players in Europe so he can have Papin sitting on the bench.

Because Sagan doesn't need a Sprint train they'll hve a genuine three Jersey team

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:01 pm 

Alvise Martinengo wrote:

Dealdone. Three years in Tinkoff.

http://www.bdc-mag.com/peter-sagan-ha-f ... n-tinkoff/

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:12 pm 

Alvise Martinengo wrote:
Alvise Martinengo wrote:

Dealdone. Three years in Tinkoff.

http://www.bdc-mag.com/peter-sagan-ha-f ... n-tinkoff/

Great, with a bit more support he should start mopping up classics.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:19 pm 

DOB wrote:
Slaying The Badger from ESPN's 30 for 30 series. Lemond vs Hinault in 85 and 86.

I didn't even know about this one. Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:26 pm 

So the search function is f**ked too. They'd only just f**king fixed the fucker!

Anyway, Oleg Tinkov Trolls teh haterz and Nibbles and the Swarm all in one interview.

Edit; Oh, no backend message. Well done, PR.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:15 am 

He's cycling's very own Mourad Boudjellal. I don't mind him as much though.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:01 pm 

Hooray for search functions!

Questions/suspicions for Nibbles.

Quote:
“Maxim Iglinskiy? In a team there are those you have to live with regardless. He was not part of my group and between us, there’s no link.”

Before the Tour de France, Maxim Iglinskiy rode with Nibali in the Tour of Oman, Milano-Sanremo, Amstel Gold Race, La Flèche Wallonne, Liège-Bastogne-Liège, and the Tour de Romandie.

Read more at http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/11/news/nibali-goes-on-the-attack-after-fourth-astana-doping-positive_353794#at2YbhjsOwEi7ZyI.99

That's 16 days of racing together in the season before the 3 weeks of Le Tour. Is Nibbles throwing Max under the bus as an escape goat, or does he genuinely not know a guy who he's rode more competitive kms with this season than most recreational cyclists do total in a year?

The 4 Astana riders who've been caught this season are all Kazakhs, and that may or may not be coincidence. Roman Kreuziger, Czech rider currently of Saxo-Tinkoff, has been in trouble this season over test results from his time at Astana.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:06 pm 

DOB wrote:

Quote:
“Maxim Iglinskiy? In a team there are those you have to live with regardless. He was not part of my group and between us, there’s no link.”

Before the Tour de France, Maxim Iglinskiy rode with Nibali in the Tour of Oman, Milano-Sanremo, Amstel Gold Race, La Flèche Wallonne, Liège-Bastogne-Liège, and the Tour de Romandie.

Read more at http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/11/news/nibali-goes-on-the-attack-after-fourth-astana-doping-positive_353794#at2YbhjsOwEi7ZyI.99

That's 16 days of racing together in the season before the 3 weeks of Le Tour. Is Nibbles throwing Max under the bus as an escape goat, or does he genuinely not know a guy who he's rode more competitive kms with this season than most recreational cyclists do total in a year?

The 4 Astana riders who've been caught this season are all Kazakhs, and that may or may not be coincidence. Roman Kreuziger, Czech rider currently of Saxo-Tinkoff, has been in trouble this season over test results from his time at Astana.

Can you imagine the shit Sky would of got last year if there had been 4 positive tests in the same year Froome won. All seem a bit muted at the moment with Astana. Partially because it's the off season I guess, but I can't imagine them not attracting a lot more heat for it.

Vino is dodgy as fuck

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:18 pm 

Margin_Walker wrote:
DOB wrote:

Quote:

Can you imagine the shit Sky would of got last year if there had been 4 positive tests in the same year Froome won. All seem a bit muted at the moment with Astana. Partially because it's the off season I guess, but I can't imagine them not attracting a lot more heat for it.

Vino is dodgy as fuck

Yup. Kreuziger's situation looks especially bad, really. It takes a lot to say that a rider moved to Bjarne Riis' team, but it's problems carried over from his previous team that make him look bad.

Sky, by contrast, have their JTL problems this year, because of what he was doing before he signed up.

Astana will be under the microscope in 2015. Be interesting to see how their results go. If they don't get suspended.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:09 pm 

5th Astana rider (Artur Fedosseyev) tests positive.

Nibbles has to start feeling the heat a little.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/fedosse ... ganisation

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 80  Next