Chat Forum
It is currently Thu May 28, 2020 6:30 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 ... 80  Next
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:18 pm 

Sami Sanchez fuuuuuuuuucked.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/samuel- ... n-control/

A former Olympic champ, that's gotta be the biggest name to test positive since Bertie himself. But the embarrassment of getting banned for the same thing that Bardiani riders got done for 3 months ago must really sting.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:39 am 

Well I can't say I'm in anyway surprised about that

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:14 am 

Ah not Samu. :(
One of my favourite riders.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:12 pm 

Tim. wrote:

Don't worry mate, he, like the rest of us is shocked by the positive test and definitely didn't dope

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/samuel- ... -surprise/

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:37 pm 

Dan Martin to UAE Team Emirates.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/dan-mar ... -emirates/

Interesting move. Meintjies definitely seemed to have more support than Dan in the mountains at the Tour.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:42 pm 

Tim. wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
Tim. wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
Baum Cycles make some amazing looking bikes...
https://baumcycles.com/

What wonderful looking bikes. :thumbup:

:) I'd love to get one, all of their reviews rave about them.

Yeah they're pricey.

Re the Belgian national champions jersey. The footballers are currently paying homage to its heritage...

Spoiler: show

...while the cyclists are in the wrong colours. Still a nice jersey, but not the jersey.

I thought their national champ's jersey was always black, red and yellow and their national team jersey was the light blue one with stripes?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:15 pm 

Yup. Merckx at the '69 TdF;

Merckx at the 1970 Worlds;

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:39 pm 

Tim. wrote:

Same, such a fun rider to watch. It's a real shame. You hope it's the act of a desperate guy at the end of his career, but... :(

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:13 pm 

Dumbledore wrote:
Tim. wrote:

Same, such a fun rider to watch. It's a real shame. You hope it's the act of a desperate guy at the end of his career, but... :(

Think he's been dodging bullets for a while.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:16 am 

Interesting podcast interview with Phlippa York/Robert Millar. Not much about her career, mostly about life after cycling, transitioning and attitudes now vs then.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/the-phi ... k-podcast/

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:38 am 

World individual time trial start list: http://amp.timeinc.net/cyclingweekly/ne ... source=dam

The intriguing one for me there is Hamish Bond. Extraordinary athlete as a rower, multiple gold medals in the pair etc. First season as a cyclist. Suspect he'll do OK!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:23 am 

johnstrac wrote:
le chat wrote:
Tim. wrote:
The world champs rainbows are also sexy af. But you can't really get away with riding in rainbows unless you've earned one. I'd love to go find some obscure discipline — the tandem track TT or something — overseen by the UCI and try and get one.

I think you would be ok, I don't think people would think you were trying to pass yourself off as a world champion

You can't wear rainbow stripes unless you are the World Champion, it's just wrong. Similarly I wouldn't allow replica Yellow Jerseys at all or National Champs jerseys to be worn unless it's from a country you are not from.

Meh, people can wear what they like, its their money and their choice.

I personally wouldn't, although in some ways I find it more appropriate than wearing trade kits.

Although there is something inherently correct form about a fat bluffer in a KOM jersey.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:30 pm 

nails (hard as)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:36 pm 

https://twitter.com/JamieHaughey/status ... 8549943296

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:03 pm 

blindcider wrote:
johnstrac wrote:
le chat wrote:
Tim. wrote:
The world champs rainbows are also sexy af. But you can't really get away with riding in rainbows unless you've earned one. I'd love to go find some obscure discipline — the tandem track TT or something — overseen by the UCI and try and get one.

I think you would be ok, I don't think people would think you were trying to pass yourself off as a world champion

You can't wear rainbow stripes unless you are the World Champion, it's just wrong. Similarly I wouldn't allow replica Yellow Jerseys at all or National Champs jerseys to be worn unless it's from a country you are not from.

Meh, people can wear what they like, its their money and their choice.

I personally wouldn't, although in some ways I find it more appropriate than wearing trade kits.

Although there is something inherently correct form about a fat bluffer in a KOM jersey.

:lol: :lol: So much this.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:40 pm 

ukjim wrote:
https://twitter.com/JamieHaughey/status/909870748549943296

What incredible guts and determination. Outstanding. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:53 pm 

Change in rules.

http://www.uci.ch/pressreleases/the-uci ... gulations/

To improve the safety of the riders, spectators and the race convoy, the UCI Management Committee decided to limit the peloton size to a maximum of 176 riders in all events on the UCI International Road Calendar. Therefore, a maximum of 7 riders will now be allowed per team in all men’s road races (except Grand Tours, 8).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:58 pm 

Tom Pidcock won the Jnr Mens TT. Not bad these Yorkists.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:02 pm 

Double Dutch in the women's elite TT. Fantastic course to race a TT on; it was not just about monotonously hitting your Watts. Tomorrow it's going to change for the Men's elite TT - taking out the midway climb to replace it with a summit finish with roughly 300m elevation in the last 3.4km.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:06 pm 

Rider safety would be vastly improved if a) they reduced the number of motos, b) more care was taken with the routing of finishes, c) better protection from immovable road furniture, stationery vehicles etc .. reducing the size of the Peloton will improve safety but it also means fewer contracts and job losses.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:10 pm 

clydecloggie wrote:
Double Dutch in the women's elite TT. Fantastic course to race a TT on; it was not just about monotonously hitting your Watts. Tomorrow it's going to change for the Men's elite TT - taking out the midway climb to replace it with a summit finish with roughly 300m elevation in the last 3.4km.

I rather agree with Tony Martin's complaint regarding riders being able to switch to a road bike part way through as it provides an additional advantage for the climbers.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:15 pm 

Gospel wrote:
clydecloggie wrote:

I rather agree with Tony Martin's complaint regarding riders being able to switch to a road bike part way through as it provides an additional advantage for the climbers.

Changing bikes also costs time - and from some of the practice footage it could be in the order of 15-20s. That's a lot to claw back purely by being on a lighter bike for 3k. I think there could be guys deciding to stick to the TT bike.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:54 pm 

Tim. wrote:
Tom Pidcock won the Jnr Mens TT. Not bad these Yorkists.

hes some rider that kid. hes the complete package. GB scratch champ, Euro Cross champ now world tt champ. A bright future...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:22 pm 

clydecloggie wrote:
Gospel wrote:
clydecloggie wrote:

Changing bikes also costs time - and from some of the practice footage it could be in the order of 15-20s. That's a lot to claw back purely by being on a lighter bike for 3k. I think there could be guys deciding to stick to the TT bike.

Well according to TM you can lose 10s changing your bike but gain considerably more on the climb. Initially I thought he as being a bit of a pussy but in retrospect I do think it's fair for riders to use the same bike throughout.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:24 pm 

Gospel wrote:
clydecloggie wrote:
Gospel wrote:
clydecloggie wrote:

Well according to TM you can lose 10s changing your bike but gain considerably more on the climb. Initially I thought he as being a bit of a pussy but in retrospect I do think it's fair for riders to use the same bike throughout.

so no changing if there is a mechanical?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:28 pm 

ukjim wrote:
Gospel wrote:
clydecloggie wrote:
Gospel wrote:
clydecloggie wrote:

so no changing if there is a mechanical?

I am talking about changes between TT and a road bike just for the climb - not mechanicals etc.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:39 am 

I think Froome said it best after that lumpy TT in the Tour a couple years ago, when some guys changed bikes but he kept the TT bike throughout; TT bikes aren't 8kgs any more. You're just spending 20-30 seconds getting onto a less aerodynamic bike.

I'm surprised at Dumoulin being amongst the changers, he was riding the invisible aero bars up some pretty steep grades in the Giro, I would've thought he'd want to just keep his form and rhythm.

The most annoying about it is surely the whole thing about riders getting a mat laid down for the bike change zone, so they don't slip on the cobbles. The UCI should've told them "Don't do a voluntary bike change on the cobbles then."

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:29 am 

Being able to have a planned bike change, and more importantly having the bike positioned ready and the allowance of a push changes the game massively.

That said, I don't necessarily believe a bike change is the right way to go anyway. TT bikes are not that bad up hill nowadays and are getting much closer to the UCI weight limits. The only reason I can see is gearing but the hill isn't actually that steep. There is a mental thing with some riders that you can't climb on TT bikes I think too.

The wailing from certain quarters about the TT having an uphill finish is just pathetic though. Similarly to the road race, it shouldn't just favour one sort of rider year after year.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:28 am 

blindcider wrote:
Being able to have a planned bike change, and more importantly having the bike positioned ready and the allowance of a push changes the game massively.

That said, I don't necessarily believe a bike change is the right way to go anyway. TT bikes are not that bad up hill nowadays and are getting much closer to the UCI weight limits. The only reason I can see is gearing but the hill isn't actually that steep. There is a mental thing with some riders that you can't climb on TT bikes I think too.

The wailing from certain quarters about the TT having an uphill finish is just pathetic though. Similarly to the road race, it shouldn't just favour one sort of rider year after year.

Froome has an awesome tt position and can spin up in aero.

folk who need to dance up the hills struggle on tt bikes on the steep stuff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:08 am 

blindcider wrote:

9.1% average gradient over 3.4km with 15% max - not yet Vuelta-type madness but that's some serious numbers.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:23 am 

clydecloggie wrote:
blindcider wrote:

9.1% average gradient over 3.4km with 15% max - not yet Vuelta-type madness but that's some serious numbers.

Yeah 15% on a TT bike sounds like hell - Think I'd opt for a bike change!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:31 am 

clydecloggie wrote:
blindcider wrote:

Aside for steepness, there are 25+ hairpins up that climb by all accounts. Handling a TT bike might not be optimal.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:34 am 

Froome is yet to confirm if he will swap or not as far as I am aware.

I think Dumoulin has this. Martin 2nd, Froome might squeak third.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:41 am 

theo wrote:
Froome is yet to confirm if he will swap or not as far as I am aware.

I think Dumoulin has this. Martin 2nd, Froome might squeak third.

Martin won't be in the reckoning

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:24 pm 

Just watching the hill. Those switchbacks are tough. Also had one guy on a road bike and one on a TT pretty close together and the road bike wasn't really making much of a difference.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:11 pm 

theo wrote:
Just watching the hill. Those switchbacks are tough. Also had one guy on a road bike and one on a TT pretty close together and the road bike wasn't really making much of a difference.

Who were the guys though?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:15 pm 

The swap makes this pretty exciting

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:25 pm 

This on TV??

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:26 pm 

Top commentating there. "No rain here which means we can just concentrate on the racing".

Within a minute it starts raining.

HH,

BBC2.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:40 pm 

Cracking atmosphere on this climb.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 ... 80  Next