The Official UCI Pro Cycling Thread

All things Rugby
Bullettyme

Re: The Official UCI Pro Cycling Thread

Post by Bullettyme »

Agree with that DOB. I wonder if Quintana will be looking at taking a lead and defending it (depending if Valverde decides to chase his down again or not). Nico's been in great form this season though, well deserved after last year. Could probably give it a go on stage 6.
Miguel Indurain

Post by Miguel Indurain »

DOB wrote:Great ride by Roche today. He should be able to defend it tomorrow and Tuesday.
Delighted for NR. He's managed to do something which his dad never did.
DOB

Post by DOB »

Miguel Indurain wrote:
DOB wrote:Great ride by Roche today. He should be able to defend it tomorrow and Tuesday.
Ride the Vuelta 10 times? Keep going as a pro to his mid-30s? (I do know what you’re talking about, btw)
Miguel Indurain

DOB wrote:
Miguel Indurain wrote:
Ride the Vuelta 10 times? Keep going as a pro to his mid-30s? (I do know what you’re talking about, btw)
Gain the leaders jersey in the Vuelta. Great achievement.

(in fairness, I can't recall SR riding the Vuelta).
johnstrac

Post by johnstrac »

Miguel Indurain wrote:
DOB wrote:
Miguel Indurain wrote:

He was 14th in 1992.
Miguel Indurain

johnstrac wrote:
Miguel Indurain wrote:
DOB wrote:
Miguel Indurain wrote:

He was 14th in 1992.
Thanks
sewa

Post by sewa »

Nice stage win for the irish man Sam Bennett there, still no team for next year but bound to have good offers.
DOB

Post by DOB »

Miguel Indurain wrote:
johnstrac wrote:
Miguel Indurain wrote:

He was 14th in 1992.
Thanks
It was a funny thing; Kelly always did the Vuelta, and Roche the Giro. Presumably for sponsorship reasons (Kas were a Spanish company, Carrera Italian), and neither did the other race until very late in their careers. Kelly didn’t even want to ride the Giro but Festina insisted. He dnf’ed on his only appearance (also in 92). The odd part of it was that the Giro in Kelly’s peak days of the 80s was the sprinters Grand Tour; they had a time bonus system in place designed to help the likes of Saronni and Moser win. Ought to have been right in Kelly’s wheelhouse.

And now you look at Nico’s results in the Vuelta and wonder if Stephen could have had a good showing there. It was a very different race in those days, though (it was in April/May, for a start), so maybe it’s not an apples-to-apples comparison.
Miguel Indurain

DOB wrote:
Miguel Indurain wrote:
johnstrac wrote:
Miguel Indurain wrote:

He was 14th in 1992.
Thanks
It was a funny thing; Kelly always did the Vuelta, and Roche the Giro. Presumably for sponsorship reasons (Kas were a Spanish company, Carrera Italian), and neither did the other race until very late in their careers. Kelly didn’t even want to ride the Giro but Festina insisted. He dnf’ed on his only appearance (also in 92). The odd part of it was that the Giro in Kelly’s peak days of the 80s was the sprinters Grand Tour; they had a time bonus system in place designed to help the likes of Saronni and Moser win. Ought to have been right in Kelly’s wheelhouse.

And now you look at Nico’s results in the Vuelta and wonder if Stephen could have had a good showing there. It was a very different race in those days, though (it was in April/May, for a start), so maybe it’s not an apples-to-apples comparison.
You're right about the Giro being a sprinters tour, as such.
Moser's win in 84 is evidence of that.

Vuelta was in a different part of the season back then, so it probably did come down to a straight choice between riding on or other.

Vuelta was far more insular race then compared to Giro and the Tour. Spanish teams used focus their entire season around the Vuelta.

There was a lot if Spanish resistance to moving the race calendar, but I think its made the Vuelta a better, moreprestigeous race.
DOB

Post by DOB »

The second man (after Merckx, of course, it’s always after Merckx) to do the Vuelta/Giro double was Giovanni Battaglin, who’s probably better known in many cycling circles for having his name on the bikes Roche rode to his 87 triple. Battaglin rode the Vuelta as a last minute addition to the team and won the whole thing, before flying to Italy to start the Giro, as scheduled, 3 days later, and win that too. It was a remarkable feat, but it’s plain to see why it was so rare to ride all 3.
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

Nico loses the red today.

Some balls by Angel Madrazo, got dropped twice and still managed to win the stage :lol:
blindcider

Post by blindcider »

Big crash before the TV cameras turned on today. Uran, Roche, and a number of others abandoned due to that. Big crash for TJVG on a descent too

Ineos into the virtual red :shock:
DOB

Post by DOB »

De la Cruz couldn’t hang on, so Dylan Teuns takes red instead.

Awful luck for Roche, he might’ve been on for a good finishing result there. But realistically, 3 days in red was about as good as the race was going to get for him, so now he doesn’t have to go through the motions for another 2 weeks and 2,000km.
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

Terrible luck for him alright, would agree that he probably had his moment. Huge way to go still.

Seemed to be some big movers today.
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

Valverde wins today, Lopez in red.

Top 4 looking very tasty, with Roglic looking in a pretty good position. Bennett in the Top 10 too.
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

Bullettyme wrote:Valverde wins today, Lopez in red.

Top 4 looking very tasty, with Roglic looking in a pretty good position. Bennett in the Top 10 too.
Valverde is just amazing! Almost 40 years of age and still going.
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

Some guy called Nicholas Edet in the red jersey now. Never heard of him before.
DOB

Post by DOB »

Edet’s a jobbing French pro who’s been around for a few years without ever doing much exciting. But because he rides for Cofidis, he’s been to the TdF 7 times.

It just shows that if you’re a halfway decent breakaway rider, it’s worthwhile not pulling the plug and sitting in the Autobus on these early stages of a GT, because if you get up the road on the right day, you could be let have 9 minutes because Astana don’t want to keep the leader’s jersey.
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

Some stage today. I believe there's a gravel section too.
DOB

Post by DOB »

Yeah, 4 km from the summit of the 2nd last climb to the foot of the final.

Astana hammering with 30km to go, Edet distanced (no surprise) and Chávez having a long chase back after a mechanical. Other than that, Aru is the main gc rider in trouble today so far.
DOB

Post by DOB »

Pictures lost as they approached the gravel section. Lopez pushing on ahead of the rest of the gc group, but Movistar and Jumbo have enough firepower to keep him within reach.
DOB

Post by DOB »

Pictures lost as they approached the gravel section. Lopez pushing on ahead of the rest of the gc group, but Movistar and Jumbo have enough firepower to keep him within reach.
DOB

Post by DOB »

Valverde and Quintana drop Roglic and catch Lopez, Quintana attacks again and is trying to bridge to Soler up front. 4ish km to go.
DOB

Post by DOB »

Pogacar with the stage win, the Quintana. Roglic limited his losses.

Quintana takes red. Sounds like Lopez crashed on the gravel. Brilliant stage.
Beaver_Shark

Post by Beaver_Shark »

What a pity. The loss of coverage ruined that for me, and I literally had to switch channels after staring at the rain for a good 10 min.

Sounds like an amazing finale.
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

Roglic out in a fairly dominant performance in the TT today, and ends up wearing the red jersey. He's opened up a gap of 1.5mins over Valverde, 2mins over Lopez and 3 over Quintana and Podacar.
lexpat

Post by lexpat »

Did you guys see the story about " la guardia civil " watching la Vuelta on tv and see illegal marijuana plants on top of a building
https://t.co/Zhry3x1rng
In french
http://sport24.lefigaro.fr/scan-sport/a ... ana-972300
DOB

Post by DOB »

Saw that. Ooops. Meanwhile next year’s Tour of California will make a feature of flying over industrial pot farms...
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

Roglic has had an amazing season so far, even if he felt short at the Giro. A win at la Vuelta would make it an extraordinary season for him.

Will Quintana, Lopez, Valverde and young Pogacar attack him in turns to drop him on the mountains? I can certainly see the two Movistar guys use that tactic, except that, as usual, when one of them will be head, the other will ride against him and bring back the leaders group onto his heels... :lol:
DOB

Post by DOB »

Roglic can be attacked, and Landa and Carapaz showed how it could be done at the Giro, but I think there are a couple of other factors in play here; neither Quintana nor Valverde will ever get the freedom Carapaz got. Roglic won’t be afraid to tow Lopez like he was afraid to work with Nibali. And Roglic has a much stronger climbing team in Spain than he had in Italy.

It’s far from a done deal. But Roglic is definitely the favourite right now.

At the same time, I think there’s a lot of doom and gloom over Quintana’s TT performance, but I thought losing 3 minutes over 30+kms to a pretty fired up Roglic was par for the course for a teeny tiny Colombian climber. Everyone knew going in that the climbers would all have ground to make up on Roglic after stage 10, the only question was how much. And now we know.

Oh, and if anything, I see the Slovenian Pogacar working with the Slovenian Roglic, rather than against. The Spanish-speaking department will have enough of their own support (see also Chávez, Nieve, Izagirre).
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

DOB wrote:Roglic can be attacked, and Landa and Carapaz showed how it could be done at the Giro, but I think there are a couple of other factors in play here; neither Quintana nor Valverde will ever get the freedom Carapaz got. Roglic won’t be afraid to tow Lopez like he was afraid to work with Nibali. And Roglic has a much stronger climbing team in Spain than he had in Italy.

It’s far from a done deal. But Roglic is definitely the favourite right now.

At the same time, I think there’s a lot of doom and gloom over Quintana’s TT performance, but I thought losing 3 minutes over 30+kms to a pretty fired up Roglic was par for the course for a teeny tiny Colombian climber. Everyone knew going in that the climbers would all have ground to make up on Roglic after stage 10, the only question was how much. And now we know.

Oh, and if anything, I see the Slovenian Pogacar working with the Slovenian Roglic, rather than against. The Spanish-speaking department will have enough of their own support (see also Chávez, Nieve, Izagirre).
Should make for an exciting second part of the race!
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

It'll be interesting to see what happens tomorrow and the rest of the race between Quintana and Valverde, Soler has already offered up some fireworks :lol: looking at the stage profile I think Valverde could go for a stage win and gain more time tomorrow, but there are some absolutely horrendous mountain stages coming up where he's bound to lose time to Quintana, Roglic, etc. Fascinating anyway.
DOB

Post by DOB »

Tomorrow’s a day for the break. You might see some gc fireworks on the final climb, but no big gaps. Jumbo are too strong on medium terrain to be ambushed on small lumps like Sky were in 2016(?).

It’s the big stages later in the race where they’ll look to put pressure on.
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

Monsieur Gilbert gets another win this season. Delighted for him.
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

Rough stage today, topped off with a spin up Los Machuchos. Should be great.
DOB

Post by DOB »

Ouch.

Untypically for the Vuelta, there's actually a bunch of other climbs beforehand to soften them up, too. It's going to be a brutal finish.
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

It's such a goat track :lol:

But yes a few climbs beforehand, really brutal finish:

DOB

Post by DOB »

It's a ridiculous climb. They had to throw concrete down on it because even the feckin goats were having trouble with it.
P in VG

Post by P in VG »

25% !? x(
DOB

Post by DOB »

P in VG wrote:25% !? x(
Ah that's only for a little bit.

It's the full km before at 16+% that'll kill you.

Don't watch this if you're afraid of heights, or steep gradients; https://youtu.be/GMZfVwerQk0