The Official UCI Pro Cycling Thread

All things Rugby
Bullettyme

Re: The Official UCI Pro Cycling Thread

Post by Bullettyme »

Insane climb here :lol:

Quintana is dishing out quite a bit of pain on the GC group.
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

Now Quintana has got spat out the back of the red jersey group - Pogacar and Roglic looking strong.
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

Pogacar wins, Roglic gains 30s on all his other rivals.
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

Amazing by Roglic, he beats the best climbers and followed you Pogacar. A new star is born.

Can't wait to see Bernal / Pogacar / Carapaz battling on the grand tour. And if Sivakov delivers to his promises, this could be great for cycling.
Beaver_Shark

Post by Beaver_Shark »

Christ this Podacar kid is some talent alright. Look forward to his tussles with Bernal in the next few years.
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

Beaver_Shark wrote:Christ this Podacar kid is some talent alright. Look forward to his tussles with Bernal in the next few years.
bernal may be the better climber but Pogacar will hammer him on the TT. Will be exciting!
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

It actually was amazing by Roglic, he didn't panic when Quintana went (bad timing or messed up team tactics?), then he soaked up whatever Valverde threw at him and then he followed through really strong.

Also really strong from Pogecar, really turned the screw at the end there and shook off some really strong climbers. He's won two mountain stages this Vuelta now.
DOB

Post by DOB »

Sepp Kuss with the big stage win today. Seriously impressive ride to get in the break, and then ditch them. And Roglic just hanging out, didn’t need to call him back. Some great racing in the Vuelta this year.
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

So Roglic very much in control here! I think the Vuelta is his, unless he falls on one of the ultimate mountain stages.
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

Agree, with two mountain stages punctuated with flat stages I think only a crash will really stop him. He's looked strong in the mountains, certainly stronger than the other challengers with maybe the exception of young Pogacar.
Beaver_Shark

Post by Beaver_Shark »

Looking at Jumbo's performances in this Vuelta and Tour, I reckon they've assembled a monster squad for next year's GT's.

Leaders:
Dumoulin and Roglic

Mountain super-domestiques:
Kruiswijk and Bennett

Mountain domestiques:
Kuss, De Plus, Gesink, Tolhoek

TT riders/ Flats domestiques:
Martin, Powless, Bouwman, Van Emden

And then there's still Wout Van Aert who can bag them ITT's and has a sprint on him.

The question is, will they do away with their sprinting ambitions? I think Groenewegen might be a casualty here going forward.
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

Beaver_Shark wrote:Looking at Jumbo's performances in this Vuelta and Tour, I reckon they've assembled a monster squad for next year's GT's.

Leaders:
Dumoulin and Roglic

Mountain super-domestiques:
Kruiswijk and Bennett

Mountain domestiques:
Kuss, De Plus, Gesink, Tolhoek

TT riders/ Flats domestiques:
Martin, Powless, Bouwman, Van Emden

And then there's still Wout Van Aert who can bag them ITT's and has a sprint on him.

The question is, will they do away with their sprinting ambitions? I think Groenewegen might be a casualty here going forward.
The competition between them and Ineos will be exciting to watch. Can FDJ disturb their plans with Pinot?

I think that Dumoulin will do Giro + Tour, Roglic will do Tour only, Kruiswjik will do Tour + Vuelta and be leader on the Vuelta.

Indeed, Roglic was exhausted after the Giro and will therefore focus on winning the tour next year.
clydecloggie

Post by clydecloggie »

MvdP doing his thing on an uphill Kendal finish in the tour of Britain. Not the strongest field but it was seriously impressive. The Worlds will be an amazing showdown between him, Alaphilippe and some others (Sagan et al.) unless the Belgians with 8 main men and no domestiques can successfully deploy their chaos theory.
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

Quintana moved himself back up to 2nd today, getting into the break and whittling 5mins off his time. Not really a bad position with 2 more mountain stages to go, and Roglic's team ended up shelled today as the chase was pretty full gas.
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

Bullettyme wrote:Quintana moved himself back up to 2nd today, getting into the break and whittling 5mins off his time. Not really a bad position with 2 more mountain stages to go, and Roglic's team ended up shelled today as the chase was pretty full gas.
And Movistar decided that he should not wear the red jersey and chased him all day long... These are team tactics. They prefer Valverde on the podium rather than an opportunity to win the tout with Quintana (knowing that Valverde would still be a back up option on the podium, should Quintana vanish again in the mountains, because he wouldn't have lost time to the other leaders...)

QuickSteps are masters at cycling tactics, and Quintana is proving that he has learned a lot in all these years. He may no longer be the amazing tour rider he once was, but he is smarter.

Delighted for Gilbert.
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

I thought it was interesting he had 3 teammates with him in the break, seemed a bit counter productive if they wanted to chase him down with the rest of the team? I know they do really not like him though. Still, I thought today was a clever bit of racing from him. Wonder if he will tank again in the mountains, that was surprising (although after a Tour probably to be expected).
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

Bullettyme wrote:I thought it was interesting he had 3 teammates with him in the break, seemed a bit counter productive if they wanted to chase him down with the rest of the team? I know they do really not like him though. Still, I thought today was a clever bit of racing from him. Wonder if he will tank again in the mountains, that was surprising (although after a Tour probably to be expected).
I think he will tank again in the mountains... But still, it made no sense for Movistar to chase him, as in any case, Valverde was still their card to play in the mountains should Quintana struggle. They could have saved energy for the mountains, and be ready to attack Roglic as a team in the mountains...

That team has strange tactics, but they all seem about making sure Quintana doesn't win a race.
DOB

Post by DOB »

Don’t ever try to understand Movistar tactics.
blindcider

Post by blindcider »

Seen elsewhere

"Cycling is a complex sport in which Movistar race against themselves, and at the end of the race Quickstep win"
DOB

Post by DOB »

I've seen a couple of highlight vids now, and actually the Movistars in the Roglic group were making the very reasonable tactic of attacking him, to burn off all the Jumbo and UAE domestiques. And it worked, Roglic and Pogacar ended up being completely isolated for the final 42km or so. If Astana hadn't been holding back until then, and ready to bail out Superman, Roglic could have lost time hand over fist after that.

They did a similar move back in 2016 when they ambushed Froome along with Contador. Froome was on his own, but the Sky doms were coming back up from behind. So Movistar lifted the pace in the Froome group. It reduced Froome's gap to Quintana, but was enough to keep the Sky lads at arm's length. Eventually the Sky chasers blew for good, so the Movistar riders in his group promptly sat up.

Similarly yesterday, once they'd made sure no Jumbo or UAE riders were coming back, Valverde and the rest sat up and stayed off the front for the rest of the day.

Gilbert, incidentally, now holds the Ruban Jaune. It's the first time it's been won in a stage race, or a race not starting with "Paris" in the name.
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

DOB wrote:I've seen a couple of highlight vids now, and actually the Movistars in the Roglic group were making the very reasonable tactic of attacking him, to burn off all the Jumbo and UAE domestiques. And it worked, Roglic and Pogacar ended up being completely isolated for the final 42km or so. If Astana hadn't been holding back until then, and ready to bail out Superman, Roglic could have lost time hand over fist after that.

They did a similar move back in 2016 when they ambushed Froome along with Contador. Froome was on his own, but the Sky doms were coming back up from behind. So Movistar lifted the pace in the Froome group. It reduced Froome's gap to Quintana, but was enough to keep the Sky lads at arm's length. Eventually the Sky chasers blew for good, so the Movistar riders in his group promptly sat up.

Similarly yesterday, once they'd made sure no Jumbo or UAE riders were coming back, Valverde and the rest sat up and stayed off the front for the rest of the day.

Gilbert, incidentally, now holds the Ruban Jaune. It's the first time it's been won in a stage race, or a race not starting with "Paris" in the name.
Still, I don't see the benefit for them to ride once they realise Roglic is in their wheels. At that point, all they had to do was to sit up and let the Jumbo team ride madly to catch up with them, and then continue riding hard to try to reduce the gap to Quintana. Still 40+ km to go, that would have been big efforts to concede for the Jumbo team, and it could have allowed Quintana to be in red?
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

I didn't realise, Quintana is sick actually, suffering from a chest cough...

Anyway, today Roglic outsprinted Valverde to take second and send a message to everybody that he is well in control.
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

Very interesting analysis there DOB, cheers. I figured it must have been some sort of plan considering how Roglic got isolated.

I saw Quintana lost time again today, didn't realise he was sick. If that's the case I think Roglic should be OK through Saturday (which looks tough enough).
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

Roglic crashed today and had to work his ass off to get back to the Movistar led group. I think they could have put the hammer down a bit more, would have taken Roglic, Lopez and Pogacar out, but they all may be wrecked tomorrow (and movistar too).
DOB

Post by DOB »

Tony Martin has to abandon from his injuries.

It’s not a good look for Movistar, but they claim they had always planned the move in the crosswinds.

Anyway, Remi Cavagna of Quickstep survives alone from the break and won the stage. Sam Bennett led the bunch in at 5s.
Boobs not Moobs

Post by Boobs not Moobs »

So the World Championships is passing the end of my street in just over a week (literally). I've never attended a cycling thing before, So what to do? What happens, you'd think there would be some clear info somewhere with timings but the only times I've got are for road closures which are a bit non-specific.

We have the fan zone in Harrogate for the whole 9ish days but what else to do?
DOB

Post by DOB »

Stake out a spot where they’ll be going uphill and round a corner. You’ll be able to see them for longer, and be more likely to see a crucial move.

Have some crazy big Irish flag with the names of all the lads painted on it or something. The lads love that sort of thing.

The road closures will be non-specific, because it’ll depend on how fast the riders go on the day what time they get to you.

Do check out the fan zone. If you want to pre-study for the events, check out some videos on GCN (Global Cycling Network) or SigmaSports on YouTube. They’ve been doing a load of Yorkshire-centric content ahead of t’Championships. Sigma have brewed their own beer especially for it, apparently.
Boobs not Moobs

Great info, thanks DOB.

Of course this is going to inspire more middle aged men to take up lycra.
DOB

Post by DOB »

Boobs not Moobs wrote:Great info, thanks DOB.

I got my first Lycra at the age of 13.
blindcider

Post by blindcider »

Fewer lazy feckers driving giant pollution machines everywhere blocking up roads and causing traffic jams. Everyone wins :thumbup:
johnstrac

Post by johnstrac »

Boobs not Moobs wrote:So the World Championships is passing the end of my street in just over a week (literally). I've never attended a cycling thing before, So what to do? What happens, you'd think there would be some clear info somewhere with timings but the only times I've got are for road closures which are a bit non-specific.

We have the fan zone in Harrogate for the whole 9ish days but what else to do?
Website should have timings posted by now.
Boobs not Moobs

blindcider wrote:

Fewer lazy feckers driving giant pollution machines everywhere blocking up roads and causing traffic jams. Everyone wins :thumbup:
This is Harrogate, home of the tank car and over powered German cars. It will take more than a few to make up for all the wealthy blondes and boomers driving massive cars, there's only usually one person in them, they can't park them and they're always spotlessly clean. One of my neighbours parked her range rover about a foot from the kerb this week. There was a lot of huffing and puffing when the recycling van tried to squeeze down. They had to get her out of bed and during the time that took they had the van reverse beeping at 7am even though it was stationary. If you ever come up here you need to pay extra attention to them when driving, I had one enter the roundabout straight into my path yesterday, had to veer into middle lane to avoid crash and thankfully there were no other cars there. It's always the tank cars or German cars doing stupid things here.
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

Pogacar with a classy win today which puts him onto the podium tomorrow too. He's a real find, 3 wins in this Vuelta (all in mountains), brilliant season. Makes you wonder the point of the young rider category now :lol:

Delighted for Roglic after the Giro, really strong rider. Not a bad few grand tours for Jumbo Visma.

Watch Movistar attack tomorrow.

Edit: also, question. How come Quintana is wearing green tomorrow even though he's 5th and below other riders not wearing a jersey like Sam Bennett and Valverde? Was a bit confused seeing Pogacar wearing green today when Bennett was 2nd behind Roglic in the green standings.
DOB

Post by DOB »

I believe there’s a rule where if you’re wearing a championship jersey, (like Irish champ, Bennett and World Champ Valverde) you’re allowed decline to wear category leadership jerseys that default to you. Pogacar is leading the Youth competition, so he has to wear that. If Bennett or Valverde were leading the points jersey they’d have to wear green, but they can choose to wear their own.

A few years back in the Tour, Bardet had to wear polka dot for the stage into Paris despite being behind Froome (yellow) and Quintana (white) in the standings. This year at the Tour Sagan wore his Slovak champs jersey for stage 3 despite being 2nd in the green jersey behind then-yellow jersey Mike Teunissen.

The hierarchy for jersey comps is usually gc, youth, points, mountains. I.e, if you’re leading 2 jerseys, you wear the higher ranked one. The Vuelta sometimes does a combination standing jersey which would presumably be below the mountains jersey. They’d have to drop the young rider jersey for those years, as the UCI has a limit of 4 category jerseys.
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

Ah right that makes sense. I was thinking it might have had something to do with the nationals/worlds jerseys (although then thought back to Sagan and he decided on green).

Is youth really above points/sprints jersey?
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

MVDP won the ToB. The worlds is gonna be brilliant.
Beaver_Shark

Post by Beaver_Shark »

And Michael Matthews won brilliantly in Canada yesterday after Sagan, Alaphilippe, Stuyven and GVA tried to go too early.

Bring on the Worlds.
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

Well done Roglic who caps an amazing season! I can't wait for him to compete with the big boys at the TDF next year.
DOB

Post by DOB »

TheFrog wrote:Well done Roglic who caps an amazing season! I can't wait for him to compete with the big boys at the TDF next year.
How well will he work with Dumoulin?

Roglic is quality. But we knew that. Him winning a GT is more a “well of course he did” type feeling.

The big takeaway from this Vuelta for me is that Pogacar is a seriously exciting talent. The clashes between him, Bernal, Sivakov, Gaudu, Enric Mas and maybe Evenepoel (if he rides gc and not classics) over the next 10 years look so exciting in prospect, that the end result can only possibly be a letdown.
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

DOB wrote:
TheFrog wrote:Well done Roglic who caps an amazing season! I can't wait for him to compete with the big boys at the TDF next year.
How well will he work with Dumoulin?

Roglic is quality. But we knew that. Him winning a GT is more a “well of course he did” type feeling.

The big takeaway from this Vuelta for me is that Pogacar is a seriously exciting talent. The clashes between him, Bernal, Sivakov, Gaudu, Enric Mas and maybe Evenepoel (if he rides gc and not classics) over the next 10 years look so exciting in prospect, that the end result can only possibly be a letdown.
Not too sure that Evenepoel will focus on GC, at least not early in his career. I think he is the type who can do serious damage on the classics and he will try to win as many as he can, until he does like Alaphilippe and comes to the TDF to win a few stages and then... who knows?

For me, Sivakov, Gaudu and Mas are not up to Pogacar and Bernal's levels. Gaudu won't have the TT capability, Sivakov will be a more complete cyclist but I think his development will be slower.