The Official UCI Pro Cycling Thread

All things Rugby
TheFrog

Re: The Official UCI Pro Cycling Thread

Post by TheFrog »

Jumbo Visma show strength at the tour de l'Ain. Todd will be a hell of a race and if Roglic is in good shape, he can take the win.
Beaver_Shark

Post by Beaver_Shark »

TheFrog wrote:Jumbo Visma show strength at the tour de l'Ain. Todd will be a hell of a race and if Roglic is in good shape, he can take the win.
It's a crazy team they've assembled for the mountains. So much strength!

And they have Wout Van Aert who's in exceptional form to try and clean up the punchy stages.

I don't know though if they would have gone with a sprinter into the Tour, but maybe Groenewegen's likely ban has sorted out that potential headache for them.
DOB

Post by DOB »

Beaver_Shark wrote:
TheFrog wrote:Jumbo Visma show strength at the tour de l'Ain. Todd will be a hell of a race and if Roglic is in good shape, he can take the win.

And they have Wout Van Aert who's in exceptional form to try and clean up the punchy stages.

I don't know though if they would have gone with a sprinter into the Tour, but maybe Groenewegen's likely ban has sorted out that potential headache for them.
They were never going to bring Groenewegen. They named their 8 for the Tour in December;
Primoz Roglic, Tom Dumoulin, Steven Kruijswijk, Tony Martin, Wout van Aert, Sepp Kuss, Robert Gesink, Laurens De Plus

I think Groenewegen was supposed to stage-hunt etc at the Giro, but even that might be unlikely right now.
Beaver_Shark

Post by Beaver_Shark »

DOB wrote:
Beaver_Shark wrote:

They were never going to bring Groenewegen. They named their 8 for the Tour in December;
Primoz Roglic, Tom Dumoulin, Steven Kruijswijk, Tony Martin, Wout van Aert, Sepp Kuss, Robert Gesink, Laurens De Plus

I think Groenewegen was supposed to stage-hunt etc at the Giro, but even that might be unlikely right now.
Aah, thanks. I wasn't aware they had already named their 8.

That's a ridiculously strong team. And I'm sure the other teams are pretty happy that there's no TTT this year. That squad would have put minutes into some of the GC contenders.

Is George Bennet being given the lead for the Giro then?
DOB

Post by DOB »

I think Bennett’s been angling for some greater leadership role for a while, so he might get some freedom at one of the other GTs, but 2 of Roglic, Dumoulin and Kruiswijk are going to finish the Tour doing domestique work, and those guys may feel they deserve a title shot later in the season too. I dunno if Big Tom feels he has unfinished business at the Vuelta after 2015, or if he wants another Giro win, and give versa for Roglic. And Kruiswijk of course had his Giro disaster with Nibali.
Beaver_Shark

Post by Beaver_Shark »

DOB wrote:I think Bennett’s been angling for some greater leadership role for a while, so he might get some freedom at one of the other GTs, but 2 of Roglic, Dumoulin and Kruiswijk are going to finish the Tour doing domestique work, and those guys may feel they deserve a title shot later in the season too. I dunno if Big Tom feels he has unfinished business at the Vuelta after 2015, or if he wants another Giro win, and give versa for Roglic. And Kruiswijk of course had his Giro disaster with Nibali.
I've just read that De Plus was recently changed from the TDF team due to ongoing stomach problems in 2020, and Bennett has taken his place.

Now with the Giro starting just 13 days after the Tour, it will be interesting to see if any of their top 4 guys will even make that starting lineup of the Giro. I think I agree with you, they will just go stage-hunting.
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

Beaver_Shark wrote:

And again today! They make DQT look like a team of amateurs! :shock:
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

DOB wrote:
Beaver_Shark wrote:

Van Aert will add a few stages to their tour. He could even target the green jersey at the current rate!
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

DOB wrote:I think Bennett’s been angling for some greater leadership role for a while, so he might get some freedom at one of the other GTs, but 2 of Roglic, Dumoulin and Kruiswijk are going to finish the Tour doing domestique work, and those guys may feel they deserve a title shot later in the season too. I dunno if Big Tom feels he has unfinished business at the Vuelta after 2015, or if he wants another Giro win, and give versa for Roglic. And Kruiswijk of course had his Giro disaster with Nibali.
Yes, I anticipate Dumoulin will be sparing some energy for the later GTs. He'll do his turn and pull but then ease off to work on his condition but not burn himself.

Roglic looks good for the tour, with his climbing performance now matching his TT power.
Beaver_Shark

Post by Beaver_Shark »

Busy day at the Dauphine today.

Bernal DNS due to a problem with his back. And then there was crash involving Kruiswijk and three Bora riders (including Buchmann), and they have all abandoned. Kruiswijk has dislocated his shoulder, so his participation in the Tour is in doubt. This weakens TJV a bit now, but perhaps Kruiswijk might then be given a green light to take on the Giro as leader.

(Roglic himself also crashed today, but seems to be okay.)
Beaver_Shark

Post by Beaver_Shark »

Meanwhile in Lombardia I've just seen Evenepoel going over the edge of a bridge on a descent. :shock:

Looks very very serious. :((

https://twitter.com/msteeman/status/129 ... 75937?s=19

https://twitter.com/willwrite4cake/stat ... 90082?s=19
DOB

Post by DOB »

Apparently Evenepoel is ok, “just” a fractured pelvis, and some lung contusions. I genuinely thought as I watched the race that I saw a man die.

Roglic also crashed today, and is apparently a doubt to start the final stage of the Dauphiné tomorrow.
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

Weird end to the Dauphiné but the last stage was exciting without the big teams to choke any competition. Well done to Martinez for this victory.
P in VG

Post by P in VG »

Froome & Thomas left out of Ineos TDF squad - bit surprised regards Thomas, but I guess he didn't show enough in the Dauphine + Sivakov appears to be in good form so will take his place

Thomas to re-calibrate for a tilt at the Giro, Froome similarly for the Vuelta
Beaver_Shark

Post by Beaver_Shark »

P in VG wrote:Froome & Thomas left out of Ineos TDF squad - bit surprised regards Thomas, but I guess he didn't show enough in the Dauphine + Sivakov appears to be in good form so will take his place

Thomas to re-calibrate for a tilt at the Giro, Froome similarly for the Vuelta
Can't say I'm too surprised. Froome especially looked completely out of sorts. He was barely hanging on when the pace was being driven by Van Baarle and Castroviejo. Thomas looked a bit better, so I suppose it makes good sense that he be given the Giro and Froome the Vuelta.
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

An elegant way to put Froome and Thomas on the sidelines.

Carapaz must be pissed though... He made a huge mistake leaving Movistar imho.

At least that would mean that Bernal's back issues are not that severe.
BlackMac

Post by BlackMac »

Not surprised about Froome and Thomas to be honest but it is really concerning how few british youngsters are coming through to take over the reigns. All the bollocks about the UK being a new major cycling nation was pretty premature to say the least.
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

BlackMac wrote:Not surprised about Froome and Thomas to be honest but it is really concerning how few british youngsters are coming through to take over the reigns. All the bollocks about the UK being a new major cycling nation was pretty premature to say the least.
Honestly, I think it would be hard for any nation, except one with huge number of people, to regularly churn out the quality of riders that Britain has had over the last few years. There will be peaks and drops. Right now, Belgium and Colombia are rising to the top of the world.
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

Kruijswijk missing out on the TdF would be a huge blow to Jumbo Visma though. Especially as I feel that Dumoulin is not too keen on helping Roglic and will want to shine on his own.
DOB

Post by DOB »

TheFrog wrote:Kruijswijk missing out on the TdF would be a huge blow to Jumbo Visma though. Especially as I feel that Dumoulin is not too keen on helping Roglic and will want to shine on his own.
I feel like Kruiswijk would be the one going off doing his own thing. Dumoulin worked for Roglic at the Dauphiné with no issues. I feel like if TD was the kind to worry about team leadership, he wouldn’t have signed for a team with 2 GC leaders already.

Britain are doing alright producing good riders. The Yates bro’s have a few good years left, Tom Pidcock has a bright future. None of them are likely to win the Tour, but you have to have reasonable expectations.
P in VG

Post by P in VG »

Dumoulin has got one eye on the Giro I reckon...
DOB

Post by DOB »

P in VG wrote:Dumoulin has got one eye on the Giro I reckon...
I think after Roglic's crash in the Dauphine, Dumoulin is on high alert for any sign of #1 cracking. You'd normally expect the 2IC to bury himself in service of the big boss, but I think Dumoulin will be under instructions to avoid going too deep until they absolutely have to burn him off to chase someone down.

We've seen 3 GTs recently be won by a team with co-leaders (the last 2 Tours, and the Giro last year) and in each case the winner was the guy who didn't start out as number 1. If Jumbo play their cards right and make use of their resources, they can protect both Primoz and Tom until very deep into the race. Even if Kruiswijk doesn't make it, with Kuss and VanAert in flying form they (not Skyneos for once) seem to have the strongest climbing domestiques.

Pinot would be a decent shout if his support team wasn't so absent.
Beaver_Shark

Post by Beaver_Shark »

DOB wrote:
P in VG wrote:Dumoulin has got one eye on the Giro I reckon...
I think after Roglic's crash in the Dauphine, Dumoulin is on high alert for any sign of #1 cracking. You'd normally expect the 2IC to bury himself in service of the big boss, but I think Dumoulin will be under instructions to avoid going too deep until they absolutely have to burn him off to chase someone down.

We've seen 3 GTs recently be won by a team with co-leaders (the last 2 Tours, and the Giro last year) and in each case the winner was the guy who didn't start out as number 1. If Jumbo play their cards right and make use of their resources, they can protect both Primoz and Tom until very deep into the race. Even if Kruiswijk doesn't make it, with Kuss and VanAert in flying form they (not Skyneos for once) seem to have the strongest climbing domestiques.

Pinot would be a decent shout if his support team wasn't so absent.
Yep. And George Bennett looks to be in great shape too.
Vuelta a Burgos - 5th
Tour de l'Aain - 5th
Gran Piemonte - 1st
Il Lombardia - 2nd

Jumbo look very strong and surely they can't stuff this up. But then again I've said this in the past about Movistar, and ended with egg on my face.
DOB

Post by DOB »

Movistar always had the clash of personalities. Between Valverde, Quintana and Landa, they never really gelled. I don't think that's the issue at J-V, but they are the successor team to Rabobank so will no doubt have some other, completely unrelated, way to blow it up their sleeves.
DOB

Post by DOB »

Adam Yates to Ineos for 2021, while Simon stays at Mitchellton Scott.

I can't 100% remember, but wasn't it said on here back in the day that the reason that neither Yates signed for Sky in the first place, was that Brailsford only wanted Simon, and they didn't think Adam would make it?

Interesting that the quotes from Adam are about him contending for Grand Tours, when really he has seemed better off hunting one-day races.

https://cyclingtips.com/2020/08/ineos-s ... year-deal/
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

So TDF is on its way and it is already an eventful one. Gilbert out with a broken rotula. Pinot hit the deck and his morale is already shattered. Sivakov must be in a lot of pain but fights hard.

So far Roglic looks good and well protected.

Nice race today, amazing Hirschi who almost pipped Alaphilippe for victory. Great ride by Yates who bridged a 10s gap effortlessly.

Jumbo Visma disappeared from the front though, after Dumoulin hit the deck. I think they wanted to allow him back as well as Van Aert for the stage victory. In the end this may be what saved the winning trio.
DOB

Post by DOB »

I think the break had a bit more cushion than it looked like, but they put the brakes on once they were under the kite. Alaf couldn't have left it any later to sprint.

JV only had Roglic and Dumoulin in the front group after all their work. Kuss may have been told to sit up and wait for VanAert, but I would've thought he should stay with the 2 gc guys in case of a puncture.

Quickstep are set up to defend yellow on the flat, but judging by Jungels today they're going to have a hell of a job hanging onto the jersey in the mountains.
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

First warm up on an uphill finish and it's very much the same as we have seen at the Dauphine. Jumbo turning the screw and Roglic sprinting from a select group to take the win. Alaphilippe didn't have the leg to challenge on a stage that suited him. He may not keep the yellow beyond Thursday.

Question is whether Jumbo will maintain the same grip on the long climbs in the Alps but at this stage, Roglic looks like the favorite for this tour.

I am very impressed by Kuss who could be a leader next year on some races.
DOB

Post by DOB »

Kuss has been let off the leash to ride for himself twice in the last 12 months. Both times he took stage wins (Vuelta last year, final stage of the Dauphine this year). The kid has a motor uphill.

The top 15 of the stage today were basically all the heavyweights. Only Guillaume Martin of the front group hasn't finished top 5 in a GT.
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

Two days of strange racing as teams are careful to save energy for the harder days.

No breakaway yesterday, and today a fast race but with a breakaway sure to win the stage and no bonus seconds to claim, the favorites didn't even try to harden the pace on the toughest slopes to eliminate the weakest. Forget about attacks with a final not favoring a solo ride against the peloton.

Tomorrow is a sprint state and another boring day. Then the Pyrenees where I suspect not much will happen with no summit finish. It will be war of attrition again rather than proper GC battle.

At least for you Irish, Bennett is in green and I can see him take it to Paris. Sagan isn't strong enough in the sprints.

Alaphilippe was the victim of stupidity from the part of his team. He must be pissed off.
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

I was wondering what is the point for a rider like Cavagna to go into such a breakaway today? He was never going to follow the strongest in the Lusette climb so why did he put such strong shifts at the front of the group with no hope for a victory?

Are these deals between teams? I help you here, you help me elsewhere ?
DOB

Post by DOB »

TheFrog wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:45 pm I was wondering what is the point for a rider like Cavagna to go into such a breakaway today? He was never going to follow the strongest in the Lusette climb so why did he put such strong shifts at the front of the group with no hope for a victory?

Are these deals between teams? I help you here, you help me elsewhere ?
Maybe exactly that. Help Astana who really only have a very slim GC chance with Lopez, win a breakaway stage now, and later in the race Astana have strong climbers (like Lutsenko, but also Fraile, the Izaguirres) who can help Alaphilippe in the mountains, where Quickstep literally only have Jungels, and even he is looking off form.
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

Yeah, that would make sense.
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

Nice stage today although one can regret that Roglic didn't try to take the lead of the GC and assert his dominance at this point... which leads me to believe that he isn't so confident in his squad and may be he doesn't trust his legs on longer efforts. I have the feeling that his plan is to reach the penultimate stage within reach of the yellow jersey and turn the screw on the final TT. He seems content with leaving the responsibility of defending yellow to another team.

Today showed that only Pogacar and Quintana have the legs to challenge Roglic. Behind, Bernal, Martin, Lopez and Uran are second best, Yates in between, and Bardet, Mas further down the ranks. Porte and Landa very disappointing too.

The truth may be different on the longer Alps climbs and I will root for Quintana whom I'd love to come back to the front.

Pinot is definitely a rider ridden with mental and physical issues. A shame because he is one of the best climbers in the peloton when fully fit and confident.

What a ride by Nans Pieters! Delighted for the young man who won a stage last year in style on the Giro and did again today for his first tour. He trains on some of the roads I like to ride on, so he has a special place in my heart.
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

Thinking about the race today reminds me of the Giro last year. Roglic seems the strongest, yet he doesn't turn the screw, doesn't seem to be willing to put in time on the others and playing a waiting game. May be he is not that confident in himself. His team was missing today and that could be a battle between leaders. May be an opportunity for a lesser climber like Bardet, Yates or another to do a Carapaz type of trick on him, after having dropped some time initially.
DOB

Post by DOB »

After all the talk about Alaf and Tibopino before the Tour, it's Bardet and Gillaume Martin who are the last 2 flying the tricolor in the gc.

13 riders within 2 minutes of yellow, all with different teams. Today showed that there are no co-leaders this year (well, Mollema is 14th to Porte's 13th, so they're the nearest thing), as Carapaz and Dumoulin were relegated to "tow the other guy" duties.
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

I have the feeling Alaphilippe deliberately decided to drop and ease into a position that will allow him to chase a few stages including tomorrow.

As said Tibopino is weak mentally and physically and once again it showed. Very sad for him because he is really one of the best climbers out there. I wouldn't bet on Bardet who shrugged to remain in contact with the best. Martin could make a top 5.

Thinking about what I posted above, I think Pogacar could do a Caparaz on Roglic this time.

For me, the 3 favorites are Roglic, Pogacar and Quintana.
DOB

Post by DOB »

I think Alaf was done, and he knew it. He made that one last attack, and then popped.

I think Pinot just doesn’t have the constitution to keep it together for 3 weeks. I’m not sure it’s mental; because he’s come back from adversity before, better and stronger, but each time at the Tour his body lets him down.

Pogacar can’t do a Carapaz, because a crucial part of that was Carapaz having Landa as a foil. He’s looking as strong as any of the others in the mountains, though, so we’ll see if he can claw the time back. He might just lose it all and more tomorrow.
DOB

Post by DOB »

That was a mad stage.

I really thought Hirschi was going to make it when he launched his sprint, but Pogacar and Roglic are just so good right now, it's getting harder and harder to see past them for 1,2 in Paris.
mdaclarke

Post by mdaclarke »

There are 4 Colombians in the top 10. Any reason why Colombia is so strong at Cycling?