The Official UCI Pro Cycling Thread

All things Rugby
TheFrog

Re: The Official UCI Pro Cycling Thread

Post by TheFrog »

DOB wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:39 pm Rightly relegated to the back of the group for checking Hirschi and Pogacar anyway.

Fantastic descent by Mohoric to catch them in the final stretch and just fly by. Alaf did well to react and jump onto his wheel, but then made his move too early.
Got to be sorry for Hirschi who was the most likely winner here.

What have you done Alaphilippe?
DOB

Post by DOB »

BlackMac wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:29 pm
johnstrac wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:32 pm I think they were dislodged on the rough road surface, looked to be plenty skittering about.
It funny how, spending all my time cycling around the cobbled streets and shit roads around Edinburgh I have never once had a bottle fly out of a cage. There are plenty good cages out there to prevent it but not doubt they are a couple of grams too heavy for the pros.
I've lost a couple of bottles on one particular bumpy descent near here. Thankfully they've repaved it.

I daresay you're not travelling around Embra quite so quick as these lads, but also you're presumably returning your bottle to its cage more securely. We've all had to quickly stick a bottle back in due to whatever circumstances so it's not 100% secure. Multiply that by 180 riders crowded into a narrow city street and you have multiple possible reasons this could happen.
DOB

Post by DOB »

TheFrog wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:30 pm
DOB wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:39 pm Rightly relegated to the back of the group for checking Hirschi and Pogacar anyway.

Fantastic descent by Mohoric to catch them in the final stretch and just fly by. Alaf did well to react and jump onto his wheel, but then made his move too early.
Got to be sorry for Hirschi who was the most likely winner here.

What have you done Alaphilippe?
He's being sent to Brabantse Pijl tomorrow as punishment.
BlackMac

Post by BlackMac »

DOB wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:35 pm
BlackMac wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:29 pm
johnstrac wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:32 pm I think they were dislodged on the rough road surface, looked to be plenty skittering about.
It funny how, spending all my time cycling around the cobbled streets and shit roads around Edinburgh I have never once had a bottle fly out of a cage. There are plenty good cages out there to prevent it but not doubt they are a couple of grams too heavy for the pros.
I've lost a couple of bottles on one particular bumpy descent near here. Thankfully they've repaved it.

I daresay you're not travelling around Embra quite so quick as these lads, but also you're presumably returning your bottle to its cage more securely. We've all had to quickly stick a bottle back in due to whatever circumstances so it's not 100% secure. Multiply that by 180 riders crowded into a narrow city street and you have multiple possible reasons this could happen.
I reckon that the mass I would apply to the equation would trump any acceleration those racing snakes could bring to the party.🤔😕
DOB

Post by DOB »

Your mass adds stability to the assembly. Any little bump sends those minis skittering about like a pea in a whistle.
DOB

Post by DOB »

Mitchelton-Scott and Jumbo-Visma out of the Giro with the Rona. Had to catch up with everyone sooner or later.
terryfinch

Post by terryfinch »

Teo Geoghan-Hart wins today’s stage in the Giro and up to 4th in the overall standings. Chapeau!
DOB

Post by DOB »

Great ride by Tao. Also a fantastic ride by Joao Almeida to hang onto pink.

Big shakeup in the GC, Fuglsang is definitely no chance now, and Nibali really took a hit. It’s clear that Sunweb are the strongest team in the race, and Kelderman is in perfect position going into the rest day.
lilyw

Post by lilyw »

So Van Aert was tailgating the moto in the Tour of Flanders; as it slowed he & Van der Poel swerved to go past it but Alaphilippe (3rd man in line) didn't see it in time. He took a hell of a fall.
BlackMac

Post by BlackMac »

lilyw wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:40 pm So Van Aert was tailgating the moto in the Tour of Flanders; as it slowed he & Van der Poel swerved to go past it but Alaphilippe (3rd man in line) didn't see it in time. He took a hell of a fall.

Thought the commentators were a bit harsh on the motorcyclist. Entirely Alaphilippe's fault. Bad fall none the less.
DOB

Post by DOB »

BlackMac wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:24 am
lilyw wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:40 pm So Van Aert was tailgating the moto in the Tour of Flanders; as it slowed he & Van der Poel swerved to go past it but Alaphilippe (3rd man in line) didn't see it in time. He took a hell of a fall.

Thought the commentators were a bit harsh on the motorcyclist. Entirely Alaphilippe's fault. Bad fall none the less.
Not entirely Alaf’s fault. He happened to look down at the moment that the other 2 swerved to avoid a moto that had just stopped. It was a combination of errors, he just made the last one.

But yeah, harsh on the Moto. He had a right to be there, and it’s not his fault that the racers try to follow the motos to get every last bit of draft.
lilyw

Post by lilyw »

That was just a ridiculous Stage 1 of the Vuelta. Over a minute's gap to the guy in 10th already. It's going to be a very long 18 days for some of the riders.