The best new and returning TV series of 2021?

All things Rugby
Poshprop

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2020?

Post by Poshprop »

Just binge watched the first two series of Cobra Kai and I bluddy loved it. Just good old fashioned entertainment with good laughs and a good dollop of cheese and 80s
Winnie

Post by Winnie »

Wife forced me to binge watch The Undoing over the weekend
I really enjoyed it
I would also like to make babies with Matilda De Angelis
vh5150

Post by vh5150 »

Jesus Christ the last 2 episodes of The Mandalorian is the best Star Wars I’ve seen in 40 years. First Rosario Dawson as Ashoka Tano and last week Tem Morrison killed it as Boba Fett returned.
Astonishing and mega lore building.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

vh5150 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:19 am Jesus Christ the last 2 episodes of The Mandalorian is the best Star Wars I’ve seen in 40 years. First Rosario Dawson as Ashoka Tano and last week Tem Morrison killed it as Boba Fett returned.
Episode 4 was about as bad as it gets. 5 wasn’t as bad, but you’re well overdoing it. Although Sammy Hagar spun your wheels, so your standards are obviously set very low. I’ll watch 6 tonight. Thanks for the spoiler.
ticketlessinseattle

Post by ticketlessinseattle »

Undercover ; the Belgian series is back with a new season on Netflix ; loved the first season ; one episode in ; enjoyable stuff
BlackMac

Post by BlackMac »

Winnie wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:17 am Wife forced me to binge watch The Undoing over the weekend
I really enjoyed it
It was a "who dunnit" without a "who dunnit" and even by the low standards of TV, the court scenes where laughably bad.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

mr bungle wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:52 am
vh5150 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:19 am Jesus Christ the last 2 episodes of The Mandalorian is the best Star Wars I’ve seen in 40 years. First Rosario Dawson as Ashoka Tano and last week Tem Morrison killed it as Boba Fett returned.
Episode 4 was about as bad as it gets. 5 wasn’t as bad, but you’re well overdoing it. Although Sammy Hagar spun your wheels, so your standards are obviously set very low. I’ll watch 6 tonight. Thanks for the spoiler.
As crappy as some of the stormtrooper fighting was, Robert Rodriguez is a far better director than Carl Weathers (ep4). Still, one of the great sci-fi characters, Boba Fett. Loved for barely 10mins screen time in the original trilogy, once again ruined courtesy of Tem f**king Morrison. Painful.
Foot Up

Post by Foot Up »

Winnie wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:17 am Wife forced me to binge watch The Undoing over the weekend
I really enjoyed it
Outrageously Beautiful - Darker, better looking Jennifer Lawrence for me
Winnie

Post by Winnie »

Foot Up wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:36 pm
I really enjoyed it
Outrageously Beautiful - Darker, better looking Jennifer Lawrence for me
Funny both my wife and I also said she had a Jennifer Lawrence look about her, but with a better face and a better rack

Well it was me that mentioned the rack bit
danny_fitz

Post by danny_fitz »

I really enjoyed it
Last episode of the undoing was a complete anti-climax
True Blue

Post by True Blue »

Star Trek Discovery remains kinda shitty.

I'm pretty liberal but fudge me. Enough of shoving down modern politics into sci fi, f**king tedious. I think I'm done at this point.
Jim Lahey

Post by Jim Lahey »

I started Designated Survivor last night and did 3 or 4 episodes.

You know that its shite but it is kind of watchable shite. The first lady :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Jim Lahey wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:35 am I started Designated Survivor last night and did 3 or 4 episodes.

You know that its shite but it is kind of watchable shite. The first lady :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
First season is worth sticking with. Decent bit of whodunnit mixed with White House politics. Don't bother after that. Once they solve the big mystery of the first season, it just becomes yet another meh White House drama without anything particularly going for it.
El Homerino

Post by El Homerino »

Finally got around to watching The Righteous Gemstones. Enjoying it. I must be a fan of Danny McBride and his style of comedy, as I like most shows that he is in. Eastbound & Down and Vice Principals were also good fun.
Short Man Syndrome

Post by Short Man Syndrome »

Everyone looking forward to The Watch starting in January? Each time the channel, producers or writers tweet something about it there is a tsunami of Pratchett fans ripping them apart for their ‘shameless exploitation’.

Trailer looks good, though. I mean, they’ve shit all over Pratchett but I like to think there could be some redeeming qualities.
Winnie

Post by Winnie »

Jim Lahey wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:35 am I started Designated Survivor last night and did 3 or 4 episodes.

I prefer his female chief of staff, if I were president I would have been Monica Lewinskying that all day

As Nolers says watch to the end of season one then give up
It was cancelled...twice and has now been left to die
Cartman

Post by Cartman »

The Industry could have been great if it weren't for all the relationship BS.
Wish they'd focused on the older guard's exploits more.
lilyw

Post by lilyw »

I watched 13 Commandments on All4 (I think it's on Netflix as well).

It was slow but enjoyable. It did leave a lot of threads dangling as though there might be a season 2; however they pretty convincingly closed out the main story line so I'm not sure where they could go.
maxime

Post by maxime »

Mando is so disappointing. Nothing in it. I'm fed up with these american bullshit.
What would be your favorite non american top series ? Here are some I really appreciated and highly recommand :

Italian :
• Gomorra
• Suburra
French :
• Le bureau des legendes
• Engrenages
German :
• Babylon Berlin
• Generation war
Norwegian :
• Occupied
Spain :
• La casa de papel
UK :
• Peaky blinders
• Wolf hall
• Sherlock
• Downtown abbey
• The state
• Rome (not sure it’s 100% UK but the producer is)
Have to admit though the unequaled ability of the US to provide western series, as “Hell on wheels” or “Deadwood”.
What do you think ? Any other refreshing suggestions ? Do you have something local in NZ or Australia ?
lilyw

Post by lilyw »

maxime wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:55 pm Mando is so disappointing. Nothing in it. I'm fed up with these american bullshit.
What would be your favorite non american top series ? Here are some I really appreciated and highly recommand :

Italian :
• Gomorra
• Suburra
French :
• Le bureau des legendes
• Engrenages
German :
• Babylon Berlin
• Generation war
Norwegian :
• Occupied
Spain :
• La casa de papel
UK :
• Peaky blinders
• Wolf hall
• Sherlock
• Downtown abbey
• The state
Have to admit though the unequaled ability of the US to provide western series, as “Hell on wheels” or “Deadwood”.
What do you think ? Any other refreshing suggestions ? Do you have something local in NZ or Australia ?
This list is incomplete without Glenroe!

In all seriousness I thought that Occupied was awful, both unbelievable and wooden.
maxime

Post by maxime »

Never heard about Glenroe before.. 17 seasons, started in 1983 !! Really worth it ?
Occupied is not that bad, and I needed something "exotic" in my list. But I agree, it's not a masterpiece.
Inch high hogs eye

Post by Inch high hogs eye »

I wondered how they rattled off a whole series of The Mandalorian so swiftly amid a global pandemic. I’m sure this is going to prove a seismic shift in film production. Whatever you think of the show, fair play to Favreau...

https://youtu.be/Ufp8weYYDE8
ticketlessinseattle

El Homerino wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:27 pm Finally got around to watching The Righteous Gemstones. Enjoying it. I must be a fan of Danny McBride and his style of comedy, as I like most shows that he is in. Eastbound & Down and Vice Principals were also good fun.
Vice Principals especially was hilarious but I think Walton Goggins was also excellent which made it so good
ticketlessinseattle

lilyw wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:48 am
maxime wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:55 pm Mando is so disappointing. Nothing in it. I'm fed up with these american bullshit.

Italian :
• Gomorra
• Suburra
French :
• Le bureau des legendes
• Engrenages
German :
• Babylon Berlin
• Generation war
Norwegian :
• Occupied
Spain :
• La casa de papel
UK :
• Peaky blinders
• Wolf hall
• Sherlock
• Downtown abbey
• The state

In all seriousness I thought that Occupied was awful, both unbelievable and wooden.
first up you're missing Borgen which would be close to the top of any such list ; some random other ones:

Bad Banks - the German one
Arne Dahl
Undercover - Belgian
Nobel - Norwegian
Bordertown - Finnish
Midnight Sun
Lillyhammer
ukjim

Post by ukjim »

True Blue wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:28 am Star Trek Discovery remains kinda shitty.

I'm pretty liberal but fudge me. Enough of shoving down modern politics into sci fi, f**king tedious. I think I'm done at this point.
Yeah Star Trek should go back to its old values it never used to insert political gestures to highlight social issues. Imagine if they had shown an interracial kiss in the 60s or a pro-choice argument. madness.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

First two episodes of The Expanse season 5 are out today. :o
Gwenno

Post by Gwenno »

Mrs Maisel - justifiably criticised for its portrayal of stereotypes, but still funny. Is it right to complain that some actors aren't Jewish? Don't think so. Rachel Brosnahan (Co Kerry name I'm told) is :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
jezzer

Post by jezzer »

Italian :
• Gomorra
• Suburra
French :
• Le bureau des legendes
• Engrenages
German :
• Babylon Berlin
• Generation war
Norwegian :
• Occupied
Spain :
• La casa de papel
UK :
• Peaky blinders
• Wolf hall
• Sherlock
• Downtown abbey
• The state

La casa de papel ("Money Heist") is a must watch, imo.

Just finished Los Minions de Midas (the Minions of Midas), which was well acted and explored an interesting theme but weirdly kind of missed the mark on being great. The material was there, but it didn't finish as well as it started. Still quite good and only 6 or 8 episodes.
ticketlessinseattle

Just finished Los Minions de Midas (the Minions of Midas),

had to laugh....thanks for the translation !
Balls Out!

Post by Balls Out! »

jezzer wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:56 pm

Italian :
• Gomorra
• Suburra
French :
• Le bureau des legendes
• Engrenages
German :
• Babylon Berlin
• Generation war
Norwegian :
• Occupied
Spain :
• La casa de papel
UK :
• Peaky blinders
• Wolf hall
• Sherlock
• Downtown abbey
• The state

La casa de papel ("Money Heist") is a must watch, imo.

Just finished Los Minions de Midas (the Minions of Midas), which was well acted and explored an interesting theme but weirdly kind of missed the mark on being great. The material was there, but it didn't finish as well as it started. Still quite good and only 6 or 8 episodes.
I'll add Braquo (season 1 only) to the good French shows. And Mr Inbetween to Australia.

Casa de Papel - heard great things about it so started watching (season 1 of about 6) and thought it was a bit shit so gave up after about 4 episodes... from when does it start getting good?
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

ukjim wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:21 am
True Blue wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:28 am Star Trek Discovery remains kinda shitty.

Yeah Star Trek should go back to its old values it never used to insert political gestures to highlight social issues. Imagine if they had shown an interracial kiss in the 60s or a pro-choice argument. madness.
:lol:
Conspicuous

Post by Conspicuous »

On the foreign language series’ I really enjoyed Deutschland’83. I haven’t seen the follow up seasons Deutschland ‘86 and ‘89 yet , must try and catch them over Christmas
Punter15

Post by Punter15 »

Found Hill Street Blues on the C4 app. It holds up brilliantly.
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

Balls Out! wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:20 pm Casa de Papel - heard great things about it so started watching (season 1 of about 6) and thought it was a bit shit so gave up after about 4 episodes... from when does it start getting good?
In my opinion never. It looks great and I suspect being in a foreign language makes the dialogue seem less cheesy and shit, but it just got progressively illogical and stupid. I slogged it out to the end of the first series and have zero interest in the second.
jezzer

Post by jezzer »

Jay Cee Gee wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:54 pm
Balls Out! wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:20 pm Casa de Papel - heard great things about it so started watching (season 1 of about 6) and thought it was a bit shit so gave up after about 4 episodes... from when does it start getting good?
In my opinion never. It looks great and I suspect being in a foreign language makes the dialogue seem less cheesy and shit, but it just got progressively illogical and stupid. I slogged it out to the end of the first series and have zero interest in the second.
I guess it depends on what you're after. It's pure escapist good fun. You can't take it seriously. It's a Band of Brothers story with silly masks.
Last edited by jezzer on Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

Conspicuous wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:46 pm On the foreign language series’ I really enjoyed Deutschland’83. I haven’t seen the follow up seasons Deutschland ‘86 and ‘89 yet , must try and catch them over Christmas
Channel 4 are also showing The Same Sky at the moment, it’s on the player
Balls Out!

Post by Balls Out! »

Jay Cee Gee wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:54 pm
ugh thanks for confirming, I'm going to skip it then x(
Conspicuous

Post by Conspicuous »

Duff Paddy wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:03 am
Conspicuous wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:46 pm On the foreign language series’ I really enjoyed Deutschland’83. I haven’t seen the follow up seasons Deutschland ‘86 and ‘89 yet , must try and catch them over Christmas
Channel 4 are also showing The Same Sky at the moment, it’s on the player
Cheers , looks interesting :thumbup: I love all that Cold War stuff
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

Final season of Vikings is being dumped in its entirety onto Prime on December 30th. :thumbup: :proud:
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Leinsterman wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:04 pm Final season of Vikings is being dumped in its entirety onto Prime on December 30th. :thumbup: :proud:
Is it worth watching through? Think I fizzled out around season 3. Some time after the other Jarl gets eagled.