The best new and returning TV series of 2021?

All things Rugby
User avatar
Poshprop
Posts: 1009
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 1:31 pm
Location: In the Diff

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2020?

Post by Poshprop »

Just binge watched the first two series of Cobra Kai and I bluddy loved it. Just good old fashioned entertainment with good laughs and a good dollop of cheese and 80s
User avatar
Winnie
Posts: 17994
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:18 pm

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2020?

Post by Winnie »

Wife forced me to binge watch The Undoing over the weekend
I really enjoyed it
I would also like to make babies with Matilda De Angelis
User avatar
vh5150
Posts: 1259
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2020?

Post by vh5150 »

Jesus Christ the last 2 episodes of The Mandalorian is the best Star Wars I’ve seen in 40 years. First Rosario Dawson as Ashoka Tano and last week Tem Morrison killed it as Boba Fett returned.
Astonishing and mega lore building.
User avatar
mr bungle
Posts: 13019
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2020?

Post by mr bungle »

vh5150 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:19 am Jesus Christ the last 2 episodes of The Mandalorian is the best Star Wars I’ve seen in 40 years. First Rosario Dawson as Ashoka Tano and last week Tem Morrison killed it as Boba Fett returned.
Astonishing and mega lore building.
Episode 4 was about as bad as it gets. 5 wasn’t as bad, but you’re well overdoing it. Although Sammy Hagar spun your wheels, so your standards are obviously set very low. I’ll watch 6 tonight. Thanks for the spoiler.
ticketlessinseattle
Posts: 9319
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: the Confederacy of Dunces

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2020?

Post by ticketlessinseattle »

Undercover ; the Belgian series is back with a new season on Netflix ; loved the first season ; one episode in ; enjoyable stuff
User avatar
BlackMac
Posts: 7205
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Middle of the Lothians

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2020?

Post by BlackMac »

Winnie wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:17 am Wife forced me to binge watch The Undoing over the weekend
I really enjoyed it
I would also like to make babies with Matilda De Angelis
It was a "who dunnit" without a "who dunnit" and even by the low standards of TV, the court scenes where laughably bad.
User avatar
mr bungle
Posts: 13019
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2020?

Post by mr bungle »

mr bungle wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:52 am
vh5150 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:19 am Jesus Christ the last 2 episodes of The Mandalorian is the best Star Wars I’ve seen in 40 years. First Rosario Dawson as Ashoka Tano and last week Tem Morrison killed it as Boba Fett returned.
Astonishing and mega lore building.
Episode 4 was about as bad as it gets. 5 wasn’t as bad, but you’re well overdoing it. Although Sammy Hagar spun your wheels, so your standards are obviously set very low. I’ll watch 6 tonight. Thanks for the spoiler.
As crappy as some of the stormtrooper fighting was, Robert Rodriguez is a far better director than Carl Weathers (ep4). Still, one of the great sci-fi characters, Boba Fett. Loved for barely 10mins screen time in the original trilogy, once again ruined courtesy of Tem f**king Morrison. Painful.
Foot Up
Posts: 336
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:21 am

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2020?

Post by Foot Up »

Winnie wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:17 am Wife forced me to binge watch The Undoing over the weekend
I really enjoyed it
I would also like to make babies with Matilda De Angelis
Outrageously Beautiful - Darker, better looking Jennifer Lawrence for me
User avatar
Winnie
Posts: 17994
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:18 pm

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2020?

Post by Winnie »

Foot Up wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:36 pm
Winnie wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:17 am Wife forced me to binge watch The Undoing over the weekend
I really enjoyed it
I would also like to make babies with Matilda De Angelis
Outrageously Beautiful - Darker, better looking Jennifer Lawrence for me
Funny both my wife and I also said she had a Jennifer Lawrence look about her, but with a better face and a better rack

Well it was me that mentioned the rack bit
User avatar
danny_fitz
Posts: 12438
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Mostly London........Mostly

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2020?

Post by danny_fitz »

Winnie wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:17 am Wife forced me to binge watch The Undoing over the weekend
I really enjoyed it
I would also like to make babies with Matilda De Angelis
Last episode of the undoing was a complete anti-climax
User avatar
True Blue
Posts: 12000
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Austin, TX

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2020?

Post by True Blue »

Star Trek Discovery remains kinda shitty.

I'm pretty liberal but fudge me. Enough of shoving down modern politics into sci fi, f**king tedious. I think I'm done at this point.
User avatar
Jim Lahey
Posts: 9875
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:29 pm

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2020?

Post by Jim Lahey »

I started Designated Survivor last night and did 3 or 4 episodes.

You know that its shite but it is kind of watchable shite. The first lady :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Nolanator
Posts: 39411
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Dublin

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2020?

Post by Nolanator »

Jim Lahey wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:35 am I started Designated Survivor last night and did 3 or 4 episodes.

You know that its shite but it is kind of watchable shite. The first lady :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
First season is worth sticking with. Decent bit of whodunnit mixed with White House politics. Don't bother after that. Once they solve the big mystery of the first season, it just becomes yet another meh White House drama without anything particularly going for it.
User avatar
El Homerino
Posts: 3429
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Running from the Baby-faced Baby-eater

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2020?

Post by El Homerino »

Finally got around to watching The Righteous Gemstones. Enjoying it. I must be a fan of Danny McBride and his style of comedy, as I like most shows that he is in. Eastbound & Down and Vice Principals were also good fun.
User avatar
Short Man Syndrome
Posts: 6644
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Front and centre.

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2020?

Post by Short Man Syndrome »

Everyone looking forward to The Watch starting in January? Each time the channel, producers or writers tweet something about it there is a tsunami of Pratchett fans ripping them apart for their ‘shameless exploitation’.

Trailer looks good, though. I mean, they’ve shit all over Pratchett but I like to think there could be some redeeming qualities.
User avatar
Winnie
Posts: 17994
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:18 pm

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2020?

Post by Winnie »

Jim Lahey wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:35 am I started Designated Survivor last night and did 3 or 4 episodes.

You know that its shite but it is kind of watchable shite. The first lady :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
I prefer his female chief of staff, if I were president I would have been Monica Lewinskying that all day

As Nolers says watch to the end of season one then give up
It was cancelled...twice and has now been left to die
User avatar
Cartman
Posts: 7846
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2020?

Post by Cartman »

The Industry could have been great if it weren't for all the relationship BS.
Wish they'd focused on the older guard's exploits more.
User avatar
lilyw
Posts: 3051
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2020?

Post by lilyw »

I watched 13 Commandments on All4 (I think it's on Netflix as well).

It was slow but enjoyable. It did leave a lot of threads dangling as though there might be a season 2; however they pretty convincingly closed out the main story line so I'm not sure where they could go.
User avatar
maxime
Posts: 228
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:10 am
Location: Paris, France

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2020?

Post by maxime »

Mando is so disappointing. Nothing in it. I'm fed up with these american bullshit.
What would be your favorite non american top series ? Here are some I really appreciated and highly recommand :

Italian :
• Gomorra
• Suburra
French :
• Le bureau des legendes
• Engrenages
German :
• Babylon Berlin
• Generation war
Norwegian :
• Occupied
Spain :
• La casa de papel
UK :
• Peaky blinders
• Wolf hall
• Sherlock
• Downtown abbey
• The state
• Rome (not sure it’s 100% UK but the producer is)
Have to admit though the unequaled ability of the US to provide western series, as “Hell on wheels” or “Deadwood”.
What do you think ? Any other refreshing suggestions ? Do you have something local in NZ or Australia ?
User avatar
lilyw
Posts: 3051
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2020?

Post by lilyw »

maxime wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:55 pm Mando is so disappointing. Nothing in it. I'm fed up with these american bullshit.
What would be your favorite non american top series ? Here are some I really appreciated and highly recommand :

Italian :
• Gomorra
• Suburra
French :
• Le bureau des legendes
• Engrenages
German :
• Babylon Berlin
• Generation war
Norwegian :
• Occupied
Spain :
• La casa de papel
UK :
• Peaky blinders
• Wolf hall
• Sherlock
• Downtown abbey
• The state
• Rome (not sure it’s 100% UK but the producer is)
Have to admit though the unequaled ability of the US to provide western series, as “Hell on wheels” or “Deadwood”.
What do you think ? Any other refreshing suggestions ? Do you have something local in NZ or Australia ?
This list is incomplete without Glenroe!

In all seriousness I thought that Occupied was awful, both unbelievable and wooden.
User avatar
maxime
Posts: 228
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:10 am
Location: Paris, France

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2020?

Post by maxime »

Never heard about Glenroe before.. 17 seasons, started in 1983 !! Really worth it ?
Occupied is not that bad, and I needed something "exotic" in my list. But I agree, it's not a masterpiece.
User avatar
Inch high hogs eye
Posts: 689
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:22 pm

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2020?

Post by Inch high hogs eye »

I wondered how they rattled off a whole series of The Mandalorian so swiftly amid a global pandemic. I’m sure this is going to prove a seismic shift in film production. Whatever you think of the show, fair play to Favreau...

https://youtu.be/Ufp8weYYDE8
ticketlessinseattle
Posts: 9319
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: the Confederacy of Dunces

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2020?

Post by ticketlessinseattle »

El Homerino wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:27 pm Finally got around to watching The Righteous Gemstones. Enjoying it. I must be a fan of Danny McBride and his style of comedy, as I like most shows that he is in. Eastbound & Down and Vice Principals were also good fun.
Vice Principals especially was hilarious but I think Walton Goggins was also excellent which made it so good
ticketlessinseattle
Posts: 9319
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: the Confederacy of Dunces

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2020?

Post by ticketlessinseattle »

lilyw wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:48 am
maxime wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:55 pm Mando is so disappointing. Nothing in it. I'm fed up with these american bullshit.
What would be your favorite non american top series ? Here are some I really appreciated and highly recommand :

Italian :
• Gomorra
• Suburra
French :
• Le bureau des legendes
• Engrenages
German :
• Babylon Berlin
• Generation war
Norwegian :
• Occupied
Spain :
• La casa de papel
UK :
• Peaky blinders
• Wolf hall
• Sherlock
• Downtown abbey
• The state
• Rome (not sure it’s 100% UK but the producer is)
Have to admit though the unequaled ability of the US to provide western series, as “Hell on wheels” or “Deadwood”.
What do you think ? Any other refreshing suggestions ? Do you have something local in NZ or Australia ?
This list is incomplete without Glenroe!

In all seriousness I thought that Occupied was awful, both unbelievable and wooden.
first up you're missing Borgen which would be close to the top of any such list ; some random other ones:

Bad Banks - the German one
Arne Dahl
Undercover - Belgian
Nobel - Norwegian
Bordertown - Finnish
Midnight Sun
Lillyhammer
ukjim
Posts: 2166
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2020?

Post by ukjim »

True Blue wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:28 am Star Trek Discovery remains kinda shitty.

I'm pretty liberal but fudge me. Enough of shoving down modern politics into sci fi, f**king tedious. I think I'm done at this point.
Yeah Star Trek should go back to its old values it never used to insert political gestures to highlight social issues. Imagine if they had shown an interracial kiss in the 60s or a pro-choice argument. madness.
Nolanator
Posts: 39411
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Dublin

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2020?

Post by Nolanator »

First two episodes of The Expanse season 5 are out today. :o
Gwenno
Posts: 8424
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2020?

Post by Gwenno »

Mrs Maisel - justifiably criticised for its portrayal of stereotypes, but still funny. Is it right to complain that some actors aren't Jewish? Don't think so. Rachel Brosnahan (Co Kerry name I'm told) is :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
jezzer
Posts: 1695
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:57 pm

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2020?

Post by jezzer »

lilyw wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:48 am
maxime wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:55 pm Mando is so disappointing. Nothing in it. I'm fed up with these american bullshit.
What would be your favorite non american top series ? Here are some I really appreciated and highly recommand :

Italian :
• Gomorra
• Suburra
French :
• Le bureau des legendes
• Engrenages
German :
• Babylon Berlin
• Generation war
Norwegian :
• Occupied
Spain :
• La casa de papel
UK :
• Peaky blinders
• Wolf hall
• Sherlock
• Downtown abbey
• The state
• Rome (not sure it’s 100% UK but the producer is)
Have to admit though the unequaled ability of the US to provide western series, as “Hell on wheels” or “Deadwood”.
What do you think ? Any other refreshing suggestions ? Do you have something local in NZ or Australia ?
This list is incomplete without Glenroe!

In all seriousness I thought that Occupied was awful, both unbelievable and wooden.
La casa de papel ("Money Heist") is a must watch, imo.

Just finished Los Minions de Midas (the Minions of Midas), which was well acted and explored an interesting theme but weirdly kind of missed the mark on being great. The material was there, but it didn't finish as well as it started. Still quite good and only 6 or 8 episodes.
ticketlessinseattle
Posts: 9319
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: the Confederacy of Dunces

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2020?

Post by ticketlessinseattle »

Just finished Los Minions de Midas (the Minions of Midas),


had to laugh....thanks for the translation !
User avatar
Balls Out!
Posts: 781
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Boston, London, Quarantine

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2020?

Post by Balls Out! »

jezzer wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:56 pm
lilyw wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:48 am
maxime wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:55 pm Mando is so disappointing. Nothing in it. I'm fed up with these american bullshit.
What would be your favorite non american top series ? Here are some I really appreciated and highly recommand :

Italian :
• Gomorra
• Suburra
French :
• Le bureau des legendes
• Engrenages
German :
• Babylon Berlin
• Generation war
Norwegian :
• Occupied
Spain :
• La casa de papel
UK :
• Peaky blinders
• Wolf hall
• Sherlock
• Downtown abbey
• The state
• Rome (not sure it’s 100% UK but the producer is)
Have to admit though the unequaled ability of the US to provide western series, as “Hell on wheels” or “Deadwood”.
What do you think ? Any other refreshing suggestions ? Do you have something local in NZ or Australia ?
This list is incomplete without Glenroe!

In all seriousness I thought that Occupied was awful, both unbelievable and wooden.
La casa de papel ("Money Heist") is a must watch, imo.

Just finished Los Minions de Midas (the Minions of Midas), which was well acted and explored an interesting theme but weirdly kind of missed the mark on being great. The material was there, but it didn't finish as well as it started. Still quite good and only 6 or 8 episodes.
I'll add Braquo (season 1 only) to the good French shows. And Mr Inbetween to Australia.

Casa de Papel - heard great things about it so started watching (season 1 of about 6) and thought it was a bit shit so gave up after about 4 episodes... from when does it start getting good?
User avatar
UncleFB
Posts: 13683
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2020?

Post by UncleFB »

ukjim wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:21 am
True Blue wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:28 am Star Trek Discovery remains kinda shitty.

I'm pretty liberal but fudge me. Enough of shoving down modern politics into sci fi, f**king tedious. I think I'm done at this point.
Yeah Star Trek should go back to its old values it never used to insert political gestures to highlight social issues. Imagine if they had shown an interracial kiss in the 60s or a pro-choice argument. madness.
:lol:
User avatar
Conspicuous
Posts: 7447
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2020?

Post by Conspicuous »

On the foreign language series’ I really enjoyed Deutschland’83. I haven’t seen the follow up seasons Deutschland ‘86 and ‘89 yet , must try and catch them over Christmas
Punter15
Posts: 898
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:29 pm

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2020?

Post by Punter15 »

Found Hill Street Blues on the C4 app. It holds up brilliantly.
Jay Cee Gee
Posts: 18442
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2020?

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

Balls Out! wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:20 pm Casa de Papel - heard great things about it so started watching (season 1 of about 6) and thought it was a bit shit so gave up after about 4 episodes... from when does it start getting good?
In my opinion never. It looks great and I suspect being in a foreign language makes the dialogue seem less cheesy and shit, but it just got progressively illogical and stupid. I slogged it out to the end of the first series and have zero interest in the second.
jezzer
Posts: 1695
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:57 pm

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2020?

Post by jezzer »

Jay Cee Gee wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:54 pm
Balls Out! wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:20 pm Casa de Papel - heard great things about it so started watching (season 1 of about 6) and thought it was a bit shit so gave up after about 4 episodes... from when does it start getting good?
In my opinion never. It looks great and I suspect being in a foreign language makes the dialogue seem less cheesy and shit, but it just got progressively illogical and stupid. I slogged it out to the end of the first series and have zero interest in the second.
I guess it depends on what you're after. It's pure escapist good fun. You can't take it seriously. It's a Band of Brothers story with silly masks.
Last edited by jezzer on Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Duff Paddy
Posts: 39619
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2020?

Post by Duff Paddy »

Conspicuous wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:46 pm On the foreign language series’ I really enjoyed Deutschland’83. I haven’t seen the follow up seasons Deutschland ‘86 and ‘89 yet , must try and catch them over Christmas
Channel 4 are also showing The Same Sky at the moment, it’s on the player
User avatar
Balls Out!
Posts: 781
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Boston, London, Quarantine

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2020?

Post by Balls Out! »

Jay Cee Gee wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:54 pm
Balls Out! wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:20 pm Casa de Papel - heard great things about it so started watching (season 1 of about 6) and thought it was a bit shit so gave up after about 4 episodes... from when does it start getting good?
In my opinion never. It looks great and I suspect being in a foreign language makes the dialogue seem less cheesy and shit, but it just got progressively illogical and stupid. I slogged it out to the end of the first series and have zero interest in the second.
ugh thanks for confirming, I'm going to skip it then x(
User avatar
Conspicuous
Posts: 7447
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2020?

Post by Conspicuous »

Duff Paddy wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:03 am
Conspicuous wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:46 pm On the foreign language series’ I really enjoyed Deutschland’83. I haven’t seen the follow up seasons Deutschland ‘86 and ‘89 yet , must try and catch them over Christmas
Channel 4 are also showing The Same Sky at the moment, it’s on the player
Cheers , looks interesting :thumbup: I love all that Cold War stuff
User avatar
Leinsterman
Posts: 10394
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2020?

Post by Leinsterman »

Final season of Vikings is being dumped in its entirety onto Prime on December 30th. :thumbup: :proud:
Nolanator
Posts: 39411
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Dublin

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2020?

Post by Nolanator »

Leinsterman wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:04 pm Final season of Vikings is being dumped in its entirety onto Prime on December 30th. :thumbup: :proud:
Is it worth watching through? Think I fizzled out around season 3. Some time after the other Jarl gets eagled.
Post Reply