The best new and returning TV series of 2021?

All things Rugby
Bindi

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2021?

Post by Bindi »

I'm enjoying Debris. Low rent X-Files, but reasonably adult at least.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Bindi wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:29 pm I'm enjoying Debris. Low rent X-Files, but reasonably adult at least.
SeX-Files?
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

Well Thou Shalt Not Kill is shit. Just because it’s a Walter Presents doesn’t mean it’s good. In fact, most of the Walter Presents are shite.

Need a decent recommendation. Had to ditch Mr Robot after one season just lost interest in it.
lilyw

Post by lilyw »

Duff Paddy wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:30 pm Well Thou Shalt Not Kill is shit. Just because it’s a Walter Presents doesn’t mean it’s good. In fact, most of the Walter Presents are shite.

Need a decent recommendation. Had to ditch Mr Robot after one season just lost interest in it.
I asked my wife a while ago how many of them would she watch if they were made in the UK or US? They seem to get an extra 25% for being made in an obscure TV market.
paddyor

Post by paddyor »

Watched the Ma,ndalorian and enjoyed it. Only quibble is the occasional made for Xbox/PS scene. Bot sure I get the "Side quest of the week" criticism. It's about a bounty hunter.

Watched one and a half episode of Your Honor but couldn't go any further.

Watched most of Behind her eyes which was good up until they introduced this insane plot device but I'm told it ends well.

The Looming tower is enjoyable(CIA vs FBI in the run up to 911)7

Quite enjoyed the man in the high castle.

Have been watching colombo episodes on and off. It's very formulaic and can't help but feels it's state propaganda for the masses. (Rich person with loose morals thinks they're smarter than the law, but working class Colombo pulls them up)
El Homerino

Post by El Homerino »

Duff Paddy wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:30 pm Well Thou Shalt Not Kill is shit. Just because it’s a Walter Presents doesn’t mean it’s good. In fact, most of the Walter Presents are shite.

Have you seen 'The Righteous Gemstones'? - It rips on those famous televangelist types you get in the US. Some genuine laugh out loud moments and a great cast. Very funny - Highly recommend.

Also 'The Terror' on BBC was excellent. Wasn't sure what type of show I was watching until about four eps in, but I'm so glad i stuck with it. The characters are very well crafted and its easy to connect with them. It gets better and better as the series goes on. Highly recommend as I have not seen much talk of it elsewhere. - Just checked and it has 94% on Rotten Tomatoes :nod:
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

Haven’t seen either of those I’ll try that thanks
ticketlessinseattle

Post by ticketlessinseattle »

Righteous Gemstones is a good laugh ; great cast ; John Goodman obviously but Danny McBride is brilliant - such a fcuk up ; as is Walton Goggins ; both of them were brilliant in Vice Principals which, I think is better tha Righteous Gemstones.
Ted Lazzo is enjoyable ; if nothing else you can stare at Hannah Waddingham.

Flight Attendant is very enjoyable

Undercover (Belgian) season 2 is good but not nearly as good as season 1 which I thought was excellent
ticketlessinseattle

Mare of Easttown just out on Sky Atlantic ; sounds promising
towny

Post by towny »

paddyor wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:27 am Watched the Ma,ndalorian and enjoyed it. Only quibble is the occasional made for Xbox/PS scene. Bot sure I get the "Side quest of the week" criticism. It's about a bounty hunter.

Watched most of Behind her eyes which was good up until they introduced this insane plot device but I'm told it ends well.

Have been watching colombo episodes on and off. It's very formulaic and can't help but feels it's state propaganda for the masses. (Rich person with loose morals thinks they're smarter than the law, but working class Colombo pulls them up)
Mandolin theme is based on a common premise in a lot of old westerns - a nameless dude with complicated morals who fights for people in hopeless situations against bullies.

Think Pale Rider or Kung Fu.

The music is straight out of a 70’s Hollywood western. It’s even set in the desert. In space!! :)

I really liked “Gallery” - show on Disney+ that has the actors and directors going deep into the show and Into Star Wars itself. Hearing how much they give a fark explained to me why the show is so good. They know what they’re doing and they really care about it.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

paddyor wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:27 am Watched the Ma,ndalorian and enjoyed it. Only quibble is the occasional made for Xbox/PS scene. Bot sure I get the "Side quest of the week" criticism. It's about a bounty hunter.

I didn't notice that at all - you're going to struggle with Zack Snyder's Justice League, it has Ninetendo64/Sega Saturn cut scenes.

I just finished Man in the High Castle - they fvcked the ending completely.
lemonhead

Post by lemonhead »

UncleFB wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:42 am

I didn't notice that at all - you're going to struggle with Zack Snyder's Justice League, it has Ninetendo64/Sega Saturn cut scenes.

I just finished Man in the High Castle - they fvcked the ending completely.
1st season dialled it up to 11 in the opening episodes which felt lopsided.

Never really warmed to it after that, just lost interest. Might give American Gods another go.
redderneck

Post by redderneck »

ticketlessinseattle wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:56 am Righteous Gemstones is a good laugh ; great cast ; John Goodman obviously but Danny McBride is brilliant - such a fcuk up ; as is Walton Goggins ; both of them were brilliant in Vice Principals which, I think is better tha Righteous Gemstones.

Undercover (Belgian) season 2 is good but not nearly as good as season 1 which I thought was excellent
Another vote for Ted Lasso - indeed a good light watch.
towny

Post by towny »

Mythic Quest on Apple is pretty good. It’s made from the “It’s Always Sunny” dudes.

Trailer for the show: https://youtu.be/6SsqG4uBVPs

Episode 5 is called “Dark, Quiet Death” - It is truly exceptional. Nothing like the rest of the series - it has very loose ties but it doesn’t even have the same cast and totally different style. I wouldn’t be surprised if was a separate project that they slipped in, but perhaps there will be more to link it in series 2.

The chemistry between the two leads is just magic.

Anyway, MQ is entertaining and well worth watching. Episode 5 is great television.

Edit - found a link to that episode but only read it if you aren’t planning to watch it. Lots of spoilers. https://www.forbes.com/sites/joshweiss/ ... h-episode/
ticketlessinseattle

redderneck wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:47 pm
ticketlessinseattle wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:56 am Righteous Gemstones is a good laugh ; great cast ; John Goodman obviously but Danny McBride is brilliant - such a fcuk up ; as is Walton Goggins ; both of them were brilliant in Vice Principals which, I think is better tha Righteous Gemstones.

yup....and Hannah Waddingham is easy on the eyes
Sefton

Post by Sefton »

Currently watching S1 of Hill Street Blues.
ticketlessinseattle

Mare of Easttown is excellent ; am seeing it being compared to "Mystic River" in terms of the effects a serious crime can have on a small town ; great movie ; great tv series
ticketlessinseattle

Sefton wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:16 pm Currently watching S1 of Hill Street Blues.
how are you watching it ? used to absolutely love that show
ticketlessinseattle

Formula 1 drive to survive is an easy way to while out 40 minutes ; have zero interest or understanding of formula 1 but enjoying watching it with my 8 year old
pigaaaa

Post by pigaaaa »

ticketlessinseattle wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:51 pm Mare of Easttown is excellent ; am seeing it being compared to "Mystic River" in terms of the effects a serious crime can have on a small town ; great movie ; great tv series
+1 its excellent alright

As a side note: refreshing to see an actual Hollywood star aging with dignity
Punter15

Post by Punter15 »

ticketlessinseattle wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:52 pm
Sefton wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:16 pm Currently watching S1 of Hill Street Blues.
Go on the Channel 4 app, and hey, let’s be safe out there.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Punter15 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:57 pm
I loved that show. I think the thing I liked most was most storylines took around 6 episodes to develop along with other ones that were progressing. I'm sure that was a unique style for the times
DOB

Post by DOB »

ticketlessinseattle wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:58 am

SHAAAAAAAAAME!!!
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

DOB wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:07 am
ticketlessinseattle wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:58 am

SHAAAAAAAAAME!!!
I thought she was more 57 than 47. Nice looking but weathered.
ticketlessinseattle

Punter15 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:57 pm
cheers ; love that quote....think I prefer his successors'....wasnt it "lets do it to them before they do it to us" ?
Jeff the Bear

Post by Jeff the Bear »

Probably not one for the Manly Men that frequent this bored, but I watched Shadow and Bone with the missus recently, and I'd give it a solid 7/10. It betrays it's YA roots from time to time, but it's talented cast just about squeeze it through all the world building.

It's also probably the first fantasy TV show I've seen where the production values match later season Game of Thrones. The whole thing looks on point for pseudo-19th century Russian steampunk. Some of the other netflix fantasy stuff look terrible at times (even the feted Witcher had scenes where the surroundings were so cheap looking they looked like they at been pulled Xena Warrior Princess).
TheBouncer

Post by TheBouncer »

Yup Mare of Eastown is the goods. Bit formulaic to start I thought but really motoring now. HBO are the bomb.
towny

Post by towny »

Have any of you fools even seen Mythic Quest? I see these other shows you're raving about and...... No love for "Ted Lasso"? What about "For all Mankind"?

This is good stuff people. I don't want to even give up the premise of the For all Mankind - it's got a twist in the first 5 mins. I'm glad I didn't read up about it because the premise is a beauty. It has a Rotten Tomatoes score of 86% and it's about Astronauts during the Space Race.

I just finished Season 2 and it only gets better. Some rough acting from a couple of actors early on but it's a belter of a show.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

towny wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:11 pm Have any of you fools even seen Mythic Quest? I see these other shows you're raving about and...... No love for "Ted Lasso"? What about "For all Mankind"?

This is good stuff people. I don't want to even give up the premise of the For all Mankind - it's got a twist in the first 5 mins. I'm glad I didn't read up about it because the premise is a beauty. It has a Rotten Tomatoes score of 86% and it's about Astronauts during the Space Race.

I just finished Season 2 and it only gets better. Some rough acting from a couple of actors early on but it's a belter of a show.
Fvcking great shows, although I'm a few episodes behind on For All Mankind S2.

I'm pretty sure the twist was part of the marketing of the show when it came out.

I haven't seen Mythic Quest yet, I try to rotate my streaming services and For All Mankind has been my latest AppleTV+ show.
Inch high hogs eye

Post by Inch high hogs eye »

Think I’ll biff off Disney and dip back into Apple TV then. My 5 year old can swivel. We had ATV free for a year when it launched but everything seemed to resemble the smelly stuff that falls softly from a dogs arse. Looks like it’s finding it’s feet :thumbup:
towny

Post by towny »

UncleFB wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:03 pm
towny wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:11 pm Have any of you fools even seen Mythic Quest? I see these other shows you're raving about and...... No love for "Ted Lasso"? What about "For all Mankind"?

Fvcking great shows, although I'm a few episodes behind on For All Mankind S2.

I'm pretty sure the twist was part of the marketing of the show when it came out.

I haven't seen Mythic Quest yet, I try to rotate my streaming services and For All Mankind has been my latest AppleTV+ show.
👍

I can’t remember when it was that Gordo became my favourite character but I love that guy.
towny

Post by towny »

Inch high hogs eye wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:23 pm Think I’ll biff off Disney and dip back into Apple TV then. My 5 year old can swivel. We had ATV free for a year when it launched but everything seemed to resemble the smelly stuff that falls softly from a dogs arse. Looks like it’s finding it’s feet :thumbup:
They’ve got some good stuff but they’re light on for content. Episode 5 of Mythic Quest is one of the best episodes I’ve seen from anywhere.

I need to find a new show now.
Anonymous 1

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2020?

Post by Anonymous 1 »

JPNZ wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:14 pm
Beaver_Shark wrote:
On a completely different note, I came across something called Snowfall last week. It was surprisingly good. I binged the three seasons over the weekend.
Been recommended on here a few times, its a great show. Season 4 was planned to be out in October but Covid has halted filming currently, so we'll see..
Watched first episode last night. Looks good
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

Watching Gangs of London. Only catching up now. Pretty good after 1 episode. Typically gritty stiff.

Welsh travellers. Now that's a first. Never knew they existed. They are portrayed as terrifying in the series.
Grandpa

Post by Grandpa »

iarmhiman wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:11 am Watching Gangs of London. Only catching up now. Pretty good after 1 episode. Typically gritty stiff.

Welsh travellers. Now that's a first. Never knew they existed. They are portrayed as terrifying in the series.
It's like they tried to throw a lot of money at it to outdo Peaky Blinders... but it fails quite badly... Joe Cole is only a bit part in Peaky.. and you can see why after this...
JPNZ

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2020?

Post by JPNZ »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 5:58 am
JPNZ wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:14 pm
Beaver_Shark wrote:
On a completely different note, I came across something called Snowfall last week. It was surprisingly good. I binged the three seasons over the weekend.
Been recommended on here a few times, its a great show. Season 4 was planned to be out in October but Covid has halted filming currently, so we'll see..
Watched first episode last night. Looks good
It is excellent. Season 4 just finished as well so plenty to catch up on.
Bindi

Post by Bindi »

Castlevania back for its last season! Best show on TV no one watches. Ignore that’s is a cartoon - it’s brilliant.
lilyw

Post by lilyw »

TheBouncer wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:07 am Yup Mare of Eastown is the goods. Bit formulaic to start I thought but really motoring now. HBO are the bomb.
It's dreadful. How many cliches can you pile into 1 series?

Kate Winslet trying to prove that she's a serious actress by not wearing makeup. Every family has a drug problem. Lesbian daughter. Beer with every meal because that's what rust-belt American loser families do. Scandi colour palette. Clerical sex abuse. Confusing obnoxiousness with character depth.

How Jean Smart got conned into playing the one-note grandmother after her lead in Watchmen....?

It's unremittingly awful.
4Bags

Post by 4Bags »

Just started on the 4th season of Fargo (Channel 4), really enjoying it. Salvatore Esposito (from Gomorrah) turns up as a psycho mafia character (type cast?) . Definitely worth a go.
C69

Post by C69 »

Bindi wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:38 am Castlevania back for its last season! Best show on TV no one watches. Ignore that’s is a cartoon - it’s brilliant.
Its very good indeed.