Chat Forum
It is currently Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:03 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175 ... 205  Next
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:27 am 

village wrote:
JPNZ wrote:
tabascoboy wrote:
Mr Robot season 4. Took me a loooooong time to warm up to this show but hoping for good things from the last season although the opener seemed a bit drawn out.

I'm up to date with S4Ep3. Season 4 is going good so far its the final season so I'm expecting some twists and turns, its a brilliant TV show.

Isn't it just a rip off of Fight Club?

Certainly inspired. It's like Fight club crossed with v for vendetta crossed with the cambridge analytica scandal. Loads of art culture in it too (music and film references) Episode 4x03 was like a homage to Wong Kar Wai films.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:38 am 

Edinburgh01 wrote:
I did not last the first episode of Catherine the Great. Worst thing I have seen in years.

yeah, disappointing alright - I made it through episode 1 thinking I'd earn tv brownie points with missus - she got up and did some ironing in the middle of it, so there's that

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:43 am 

Duff Paddy wrote:
The leftovers is brilliant. Completely batshit but brilliant

I don't go for si fi doomsday type stuff but enough people have said its excellent that I'll give it a shot .....currently savouring and dragging out last few episodes of Succession, Jesus its brilliant. Kieran Kulkin is priceless - the scenes involving the rocket launch in Japan was some of the funniest tv I've seen in a while,,,,,and his comment to Kendall about what to wear to an event....are you go no socks.....sporting some ankle clevage ? :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:46 am 

Duff Paddy wrote:
Yeah the fat angry red faced police chief shouting at everyone down at the precinct. Gimme a break, it’s not the NYPD.

You're a loose cannon Gilhooley, you've got Seachtáin amháin before I bust you down to Major tráchta.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:51 am 

ticketlessinseattle wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:
The leftovers is brilliant. Completely batshit but brilliant

.....currently savouring and dragging out last few episodes of Succession, Jesus its brilliant. Kieran Kulkin is priceless - the scenes involving the rocket launch in Japan was some of the funniest tv I've seen in a while,,,,,and his comment to Kendall about what to wear to an event....are you go no socks.....sporting some ankle clevage ? :lol:

Last episode of season 2 is a delicious setup for the next one though I guessed that
Spoiler: show
Kendall was going to do a U-turn at the press conference, and it's not dissimilar to what we saw previously on his attempted takeover
. The great thing is we have almost the whole cast being unlikable slimeballs but the doesn't stop you picking one of them to side with most of the time.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:49 pm 

Spiral is back on BBC4 at last. Great fun, but Josephine is wasted in prison (no womanshaming) so far.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:34 pm 

Latest season of Sunny is as funny as ever.
The Gang Texts is up there with The Gang Solves the Bathroom Problem for one of my favourite episodes.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:33 pm 

Silicon Valley started again :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:52 pm 

maverickmak wrote:
Man In Black wrote:
Dare I ask... is the Watchmen full woke? Does it seem like it’s been written as a collaboration between Ta-Nehisi Coates and Hannah Gadsby? I want to get into it but just wondering what to set myself up for.

I’m a big fan of The Leftovers and liked the first few seasons of Lost so I’m a Lindelof fan usually.

If you're upset by significant commentary on American racial politics, then it probably wouldn't be for you.

Watched the first episode and I'm not sure it works. The Tulsa 1921 massacre was interesting (never heard of it before), but why mix significant commentary on American racial politics with people wearing silly spandex masks? For me it just undermined the realism of any social message they want to put across and it wasn't nearly escapist enough for a superhero / comic book tale so it kind of fell between two stools. I'm sure the critics will love it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:03 pm 

First couple of episodes of Daybreak are promising.

Nice to see someone tackle the old post-apocalypse genre with some humour and proper lighting, as an alternative to all the relentlessly dour, washed out visions typically served up.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:37 pm 

village wrote:
maverickmak wrote:
Man In Black wrote:
Dare I ask... is the Watchmen full woke? Does it seem like it’s been written as a collaboration between Ta-Nehisi Coates and Hannah Gadsby? I want to get into it but just wondering what to set myself up for.

I’m a big fan of The Leftovers and liked the first few seasons of Lost so I’m a Lindelof fan usually.

If you're upset by significant commentary on American racial politics, then it probably wouldn't be for you.

Watched the first episode and I'm not sure it works. The Tulsa 1921 massacre was interesting (never heard of it before), but why mix significant commentary on American racial politics with people wearing silly spandex masks? For me it just undermined the realism of any social message they want to put across and it wasn't nearly escapist enough for a superhero / comic book tale so it kind of fell between two stools. I'm sure the critics will love it.

I suppose it might run better in the states where race politics and the police have a more complex relationship.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:01 pm 

Doesn't the spandex happy smashy still undermine it though? Again, haven't watched, but it does seem like that for me for obvious reasons.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:01 pm 

Almost through with Justified. Very happy I picked it up again. Going to have to go and watch Deadwood after this.
I tried getting back into BSG, when I saw it on Prime, but it just hasn't engaged me. I love me a bit of sci-fi, but at the end of each episode I don't have that urge to get stuck straight into the next one. Maybe it's the production style or something. I'm probably spoiled by higher budget, more modern TV productions now.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:16 pm 

Cartman wrote:
Silicon Valley started again :D

YES! Another show in its final season, I still miss Erlich

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:29 pm 

Floppykid wrote:
Doesn't the spandex happy smashy still undermine it though? Again, haven't watched, but it does seem like that for me for obvious reasons.

It didn't for the source material.

And the masks are to protect police identities, due to them being hunted. And that has its own themes and commentary tied to it.

Its a world of a 4-term Nixon, President Robert Redford, the State of Vietnam, no internet or smart phones, a blue demigod, and squids raining from the sky. If you're getting hung up on the masks then you're probably not going to buy into the rest.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:40 am 

sonic_attack wrote:
4 episodes into Snowfall. Really really good series.
Set in the early 1980's with the wave of crack cocaine about to hit. Centered around a young black guy getting by and growing an empire, a CIA back story with arms for the contras etc.

Well worth a look.

Just to bump this back up, possibly the most underrated and unrecognised show on TV. Halfway through season 3 and its fantastic. Amazon in the UK, FX in the USA and Soho in NZ.

Been renewed for Season 4 next year too

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:52 am 

Very surprised by Watchmen. It's pushing some interesting buttons; where everything is upside down and inside out in the alternate reality.

Everything dialed up to 11 and exaggerated for effect.

I'm digging it. Really interested to see how it plays out. Some big hits, clues and references already in the first 2 episodes.

Oh, and the soundtrack is amazing.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:28 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
Almost through with Justified. Very happy I picked it up again. Going to have to go and watch Deadwood after this.
I tried getting back into BSG, when I saw it on Prime, but it just hasn't engaged me. I love me a bit of sci-fi, but at the end of each episode I don't have that urge to get stuck straight into the next one. Maybe it's the production style or something. I'm probably spoiled by higher budget, more modern TV productions now.

Justified is fun. Despite being a smokeshow, Winona did not add to the plot. I think the writers put themselves in a corner with her. I loved Art, Tim and Rachel as characters.

Great closing scene.

Just started on The Shield and am loving it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:42 pm 

Instinct Detective thing with Alan Cummings is crap.
Looking forward to Autumn watch on the beeb.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:44 pm 

lorcanoworms wrote:
Instinct Detective thing with Alan Cummings is crap.
Looking forward to Autumn watch on the beeb.

Yeah, dire.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:48 pm 

Watched Points of View on Sunday, someone was asking why BBC had released their new production of War of the Worlds in other parts of the world but not here. No real answer given but they said it was scheduled to be shown in the UK in November. They did show some scenes from it and it did look good. Anyone out there seen it?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:38 pm 

OttawaKat wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

Justified is fun. Despite being a smokeshow, Winona did not add to the plot. I think the writers put themselves in a corner with her. I loved Art, Tim and Rachel as characters.

Great closing scene.

Enjoy! Great show. Without spoiling anything, the finale is brilliant, and not one you see coming

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:40 pm 

GWO2 wrote:
Watched Points of View on Sunday, someone was asking why BBC had released their new production of War of the Worlds in other parts of the world but not here. No real answer given but they said it was scheduled to be shown in the UK in November.
At a (complete) guess, it was perhaps co-funded by another company (e.g. Netflix, Amazon Prime) as seems to be happening these days, and those other broadcasters might have more flexibility in their broadcasting schedule

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:10 pm 

OttawaKat wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

Great closing scene.

We didn't get to see nearly enough of Tim. The others neither, but I felt there was a lot more that could have been done with that character.

Still non-procedural limited series only have so many minutes and side characters are often interesting because of the gaps around them.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:23 pm 

Blake wrote:
Very surprised by Watchmen. It's pushing some interesting buttons; where everything is upside down and inside out in the alternate reality.

I'm digging it. Really interested to see how it plays out. Some big hits, clues and references already in the first 2 episodes.

+1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:45 pm 

sockwithaticket wrote:
OttawaKat wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

Great closing scene.

We didn't get to see nearly enough of Tim. The others neither, but I felt there was a lot more that could have been done with that character.

Still non-procedural limited series only have so many minutes and side characters are often interesting because of the gaps around them.

Tim especially. Seemed to be more of a wiseass in the final season. References to him having PTSD and maybe a drinking problem were teases as well.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:25 pm 

Watching Doc Martin and see Lord Varys actor. Had to google him as I couldn't place him. Then also saw he was Elsie (the smurf) in Car Share. What a brilliant actor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:31 am 

Anyone watching Guilt on BBC?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:21 pm 

Sandstorm wrote:
Blake wrote:

+1

I don't like how they have made it in to a race war show with Rocshach followers being white supremacists, but still interested in how it'll play out

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:58 pm 

Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:
Blake wrote:

+1

I don't like how they have made it in to a race war show with Rocshach followers being white supremacists, but still interested in how it'll play out

Yeah, it seems woke enough, but I haven't watched it yet.
I'll wait till it's done first.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:46 pm 

new Witcher trailer is out, show will premiere Dec 20th, all 8 episodes of S1 available at once.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndl1W4ltcmg

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:59 pm 

Floppykid wrote:
Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:
Blake wrote:

+1

People are reading too much into the “wokeness” of the alternate timeline.
It’s exploring an interesting alternate world, where liberals have achieved all their goals (electric cars and an end to global warming, insanely strict gun laws, a police force unable to use firearms without authorization, reparations paid to black Americans, whites being a racial minority in the USA, and excessive sensitivity to LGBTQ+ groups) yet the world is still a shithole because...people.

Folks that have an affinity for Rorschach from the movie seem to be critical of the idea of white supremacists rallying around his image, but it makes perfect sense. He was an anti-establishment, anti-authoritarian masked vigilante in open defiance of the law against unsanctioned masked crime fighters. He was an outcast (just like some of the trailer park dwellers in ep2) and his discovery and journal in the original novel fuels the right wing conspiracy movement in this world with the notion that the squid-monster attack was a false flag...which it was in this case. A perfect analog for 9/11 which didn’t occur in this universe.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:04 pm 

Perfect analog? :|

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:08 pm 

Akkerman wrote:
new Witcher trailer is out, show will premiere Dec 20th, all 8 episodes of S1 available at once.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndl1W4ltcmg

Seems like it has some good action in it but the writing seems crappy. Unsurprising for a netflix show, but it may be good enough

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:09 pm 

Man In Black wrote:
Swamp Thing sucks, unsurprisingly.

Which is a shame. I've only gotten through the first episode so far, but there are some really cool horror images in there. Alas, everything around them seems tedious and poorly acted.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:09 pm 

Floppykid wrote:
Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:
Blake wrote:

+1

I've only seen one episode so far

His Dark Materials starts on Sunday too :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:54 pm 
Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:
Blake wrote:

+1

You obviously haven’t read the book , where do you think his dairies ended up ?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:36 pm 

Rorschach being appropriated by a bunch of angry white manchildren is absolutely spot on, if you ask me.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:01 pm 

Balls Out! wrote:
OttawaKat wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

Great closing scene.

Enjoy! Great show. Without spoiling anything, the finale is brilliant, and not one you see coming

The Shield is one of the greatest underrated shows out there.

I've always stated (probably even multiple times in this thread) that Breaking Brad was never as good to me as The Shield did much of the same stuff - especially the accelerating craziness in the late seasons heading to the end/finale.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:10 pm 

UncleFB wrote:
Balls Out! wrote:
OttawaKat wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

Great closing scene.

The Shield is one of the greatest underrated shows out there.

It had one of the best(worst) deaths in any show I've seen. I got a bit tired about how 110% it was and didn't finish it out. The whole thing was so generally over the top it wore out.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175 ... 205  Next