The best new and returning TV series of 2020?

All things Rugby
Yourmother

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2020?

Post by Yourmother »

Joost wrote:New trailer for Stranger Things 4 has just landed
Spoiler: show
Hopper is alive!
I don’t understand the thing for stranger things. It’s a kids show. Goonies esque
Last edited by Yourmother on Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
kiwinoz

Post by kiwinoz »

Another vote for Season 6 of Vikings is very ordinary . I blame the Russians .
Yourmother

Post by Yourmother »

LandOTurk wrote:
Toulon's Not Toulouse wrote:
LandOTurk wrote:Glass of red in one hand
Large pack of Spicy Sweet Chilli Doritos in the other
Sitting back to watch Netflix's Narcos Mexico 2 - available in the US today
:shock: :D :thumbup:
Watched the first two episodes last night. Great to get more of it, but it feels dragging a bit already with very long moody manly men talking negócios. Probably doesn't help that I've watched the El Chapo series and scoured wikipedia after season 1 ended and know a lot more about the events already. :lol:
I'm already on e6. Loving it.

There's another series Fronteras that is jumping on the narco bandwagon. Not seen it yet.
Oh goody. Had not clocked new season.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Yourmother wrote:
Hopper is alive!
I don’t understand the thing for stranger things. It’s a kids show. Goonies esque
Give yourself an uppercut!

:twisted:
sockwithaticket

Post by sockwithaticket »

Yourmother wrote:
Hopper is alive!
Eh, no. It's primarily for people old enough to have 80s nostalgia. Then there are creature feature fans like me who put it on in the background and pay attention when there are monsters beacuse those are actually pretty well designed and executed on the occasions they show up.

The kids are relentlessly annoying.
Yourmother

Post by Yourmother »

sockwithaticket wrote:
Yourmother wrote:
Hopper is alive!
Eh, no. It's primarily for people old enough to have 80s nostalgia. Then there are creature feature fans like me who put it on in the background and pay attention when there are monsters beacuse those are actually pretty well designed and executed on the occasions they show up.

The kids are relentlessly annoying.
The kids are annoying as are the childish dim characters of that cop and Winona Ryder.

I did quite like the initial monster though.
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

Beaver_Shark wrote:It may be me, but I'm sorry to say this: Vikings has completely lost the plot in season 6. It may just be a victim of its own success, but I found these 10 episodes to have been very badly put together.

I'm not even that unhappy that the second half of season 6 will only premiere towards the end of the year.
Yeah it's been a bit of a mess and I was really looking forward to it.
Live how the Rus just turned up so quickly in Scandinavia in spring despite coming from Kiev :?
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

kiwinoz wrote:Another vote for Season 6 of Vikings is very ordinary . I blame the Russians .
Oi you, answer my question on the previous page. Please. :)
Still Not Playing

Post by Still Not Playing »

Puma wrote:"The Stranger", a british suspense series just popped up on my Netflix. Fantatic veiwing.

Finished 5 episodes out of 8 of its single season, and it has me completely hooked.
Watched the whole series in one afternoon/evening - easy viewing. And series based on another of Corbens book "Safe"

Read that the books weree set in the US
lorcanoworms

Post by lorcanoworms »

Leinsterman wrote:
Beaver_Shark wrote:It may be me, but I'm sorry to say this: Vikings has completely lost the plot in season 6. It may just be a victim of its own success, but I found these 10 episodes to have been very badly put together.

I'm not even that unhappy that the second half of season 6 will only premiere towards the end of the year.
Yeah it's been a bit of a mess and I was really looking forward to it.
Live how the Rus just turned up so quickly in Scandinavia in spring despite coming from Kiev :?
Rivers.
Not been watching so going to assume they're frozen.
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

Yourmother wrote:
LandOTurk wrote:
Watched the first two episodes last night. Great to get more of it, but it feels dragging a bit already with very long moody manly men talking negócios. Probably doesn't help that I've watched the El Chapo series and scoured wikipedia after season 1 ended and know a lot more about the events already. :lol:

There's another series Fronteras that is jumping on the narco bandwagon. Not seen it yet.
Oh goody. Had not clocked new season.
So watched 2 episodes per day for 5 days. Just finished all 10 for Narcos2. Not as good as season 1 but still very enjoyable. Not giving anything away but felt like e10 was a little too rushed. Not GOT s8 rushed by any stretch and then last 10 minutes slowed right down. Bit weird. Would certainly recommend though.
Toulon's Not Toulouse

Post by Toulon's Not Toulouse »

LandOTurk wrote:

Done now. That was good, but it's depressing to know that if they go for more, we won't get to see it for another year at least. I have watched it already myself but if you haven't, the El Chapo series is a neat continuation as it starts exactly where e10 ends. It's different in scope and style though.

Will take a look at Fronteras. Not sure it's up on Netflix Ireland though. Bloody geoblocking...
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Enjoying Narco's. 6 episodes on, but I feel like it suffers from a lack of standout characters. A lot of them are a bit samey. The Colombian series obviously had some strong characters on both sides, even season 1 of Mexico had Kiki etc. Had to find an article for a quick recap of who was who at the beginning.

I do enjoy the cameos from the different characters in the Colombian cartels.
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

Not sure if its been mentioned but saw the trailer below for Gangs of London which is out on Sky UK soon.. Looks like a modern day peaky blinders

https://youtu.be/4CJ5p4XisHs
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

LandOTurk wrote:

Done now. That was good, but it's depressing to know that if they go for more, we won't get to see it for another year at least. I have watched it already myself but if you haven't, the El Chapo series is a neat continuation as it starts exactly where e10 ends. It's different in scope and style though.

Will take a look at Fronteras. Not sure it's up on Netflix Ireland though. Bloody geoblocking...
Just get a VPN. When I set my IP to the UK, I get Netflix UK. I was quite surprised, but I guess if you go on holiday then they want to allow you to watch Netflix of country in situ.
El Homerino

Post by El Homerino »

Still Not Playing wrote:
Puma wrote:"The Stranger", a british suspense series just popped up on my Netflix. Fantatic veiwing.

Finished 5 episodes out of 8 of its single season, and it has me completely hooked.
Watched the whole series in one afternoon/evening - easy viewing. And series based on another of Corbens book "Safe"

Watching this. On episode 3, seems pretty shit so far with terrible plot, acting and dialogue.
comets

Post by comets »

Boobs not Moobs wrote:https://ew.com/tv-reviews/2020/02/18/pl ... ca-review/

Looks interesting
just another pro-israeli propaganda series..
danny_fitz

Post by danny_fitz »

Looks interesting
I enjoyed the book, hopefully they will do it justice.
sockwithaticket

Post by sockwithaticket »

Just watched Locke and Key season one over the course of a business trip. Really good. The graphic novels come highly recommended as among the best in horror and they drastically underwhelmed me, so was sceptical, but ended up being pleasantly surprised by the show.
ticketlessinseattle

Post by ticketlessinseattle »

Yourmother wrote:
Hopper is alive!
agreed
ticketlessinseattle

Post by ticketlessinseattle »

Joost wrote:
Balls Out! wrote:Final season of Homeland starts Feb 9 in the US. Love it but...
Killing Quinn really weakened the cast. Plus I fucking hate that woman playing the president
Looking forward to it :thumbup:

Homeland managed to be quite 'current' in its storylines up until it got to the right wing/fake news series, where the writers had obviously anticipated that Hillary was going to win the presidency!
Still, based on the cast list your hated character is no longer in office!
in fairness they flipped the president to a female orange shitgibbon ; its on Irish tv, started last Thursday, still watchable but its definitely final season territory going by 1st episode
Cartman

Post by Cartman »

The Outsider is completely crap now
Ulsters Red Hand

Post by Ulsters Red Hand »

comets wrote:

Looks interesting
just another pro-israeli propaganda series..
And? It's not like half of tv shows/networks are pushing leftist agendas

Just watch and enjoy whatever you like without looking in to it too deeply. You will be a lot happier :thumbup:
Openside

Post by Openside »

Sandstorm wrote:Cobra. 3 episodes in, it’s excellent! :thumbup:
Thanks for that have it on record.
Openside

Post by Openside »

Cartman wrote:
naki wrote:
Inch high hogs eye wrote:
naki wrote:Curb is back and it farking rules. One of the best episodes in years, with Larry casually snapping selfie sticks, weaponising MAGA hats, re-tapping his ex wife, Jeff being mistaken for Harvey Weinstein, getting accidentally #MeToo'd. It's the best comedy of all time.

Got me thinking of shows that have gone 10 seasons and still retained the juice? South Park arguably got better 10 seasons in but, like Curb, each season has a few less inspired eps. The Simpsons only lasted for around 8 seasons of gold and has been horrific for most of the last 20+. King of the Hill went for 13 seasons and was steadily decent.

Tellingly these are all animated shows, I can't think of any 'live action' sitcoms that fit the bill
I could never get into Frasier, but will acknowledge it lasted over 10 seasons of general critical acclaim (and could perhaps be part of an argument for the Cheers Telematic Universe extending for 20+ years of general critical acclaim)
And it's apparently coming back
From the grave ? - the writer was on one of the planes that hit the twin towers :(
Openside

Post by Openside »

Still Not Playing wrote:

I agree it was intriguing but it totally fell apart at the end - totally irrelevant plot lines and gaping holes in believability etc. end result disappointed.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Finished Narcos, definitely going to watch El Chapo now.
What was the deal with a name being occasionally bleeped out and not showing in the subtitles? Someone in government I think.
Burke's Boot

Post by Burke's Boot »

The first season had pacing issues compared to the Columbian based seasons. Assume they are trying to stretch it out a good half dozen series for Mexico.
lorcanoworms

Post by lorcanoworms »

Keith Wood cameo as a bouncer in the latest Picard.
comets

Post by comets »

lorcanoworms wrote:Keith Wood cameo as a bouncer in the latest Picard.
speaking lines?
True Blue

Post by True Blue »

Star Trek Picard is fucken depressing to me. Graphic torture, blatant murder from good characters.....shit, wasn't Trek supposed to be uplifting and upbeat about the future? It's almost dystopian at this point.

Saying that, the latest episode was certainly watchable.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

True Blue wrote:Star Trek Picard is fucken depressing to me. Graphic torture, blatant murder from good characters.....shit, wasn't Trek supposed to be uplifting and upbeat about the future? It's almost dystopian at this point.

You hate Star Wars, yet you watch Star Trek?
True Blue

Post by True Blue »

mr bungle wrote:
True Blue wrote:Star Trek Picard is fucken depressing to me. Graphic torture, blatant murder from good characters.....shit, wasn't Trek supposed to be uplifting and upbeat about the future? It's almost dystopian at this point.

You hate Star Wars, yet you watch Star Trek?
Yes? Is that unusual? Star Trek has always been more sci-fi whereas Star Wars is just a Space Fantasy/adventure with magic. THey're not even the same genre.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

I think there’s enough mystic/mind power stuff in the Star Trek universe as well. I get that one started as a low budget tv series but Star Trek aliens, spaceships and weaponry paled in comparison to Star Destroyers, Slave I, Millennium Falcon, Droids, Boba Fett, Stormtroopers, Vader, Wookiees... incredibly in-depth universe as well. While I have liked some Trek movies, all too budget looking on the design front for me.
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

Nolanator wrote:Finished Narcos, definitely going to watch El Chapo now.
What was the deal with a name being occasionally bleeped out and not showing in the subtitles? Someone in government I think.
Finished Narcos today, brilliant piece of TV. Loved Pablo Acostas story, and Scoot McNairy was brilliant throughout - chap just looks like he's been through the wars.

Thought that bleeping thing was weird too, considering they name a former president as fraudulent and corrupt. Maybe it's a portmanteau of various politicians. That whole history of Mexico and the PRI was fascinating.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Bullettyme wrote:
Nolanator wrote:Finished Narcos, definitely going to watch El Chapo now.
Finished Narcos today, brilliant piece of TV. Loved Pablo Acostas story, and Scoot McNairy was brilliant throughout - chap just looks like he's been through the wars.

Thought that bleeping thing was weird too, considering they name a former president as fraudulent and corrupt. Maybe it's a portmanteau of various politicians. That whole history of Mexico and the PRI was fascinating.
Acosta's story seemed a bit ridiculous, but is pretty much verbatim, from what I can tell.

Amado Carrillo Fuentes appeared in the Colombian Narcos series, didn't he? I feel like he was in season 2 when Escobar was opening new supply routes.
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

Amado was in S3, good character I thought. Amazing how the writers make these complete scumbags somewhat sympathetic :lol:

Also one scene I loved, when Felix meets Pacho in Panama. Such a tense scene and episode. The whole season was basically just Felix stress smoking (Walt too).
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Of course it was season 3. The Mexican cartels only for involved with the Cali guys.

Serious amount of tension in most of what Felix does. Just ten episodes of shit hitting the fan and him trying to swindle his way around it all.
That final meeting around the table was brilliantly done.
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

blindcider wrote:Just binge watched both series of Titans. Didn't expect to get hooked as I only started it as there was nothing else I fancied watching (didn't fancy starting something new to me of many series) but I did get hooked. I like the fact that they don't explain everything but hint at things that get explained elsewhere.

Sir Friendzone as Bruce Wayne the main WTF point for me
Titans is about as pure DC as you can get. Pretty dark but with some.humour thrown in. Finally a decent DC series.
Far superior to Flash and Legends of Tomorrow.
Only thing close to it is Teen Titans Go.

As far as DC villains go, Deathstroke is definitely one of my favourites