The best new and returning TV series of 2020?

All things Rugby
Ted.

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2020?

Post by Ted. »

Jerome Manning wrote:If you like Barry and you like subtle, droll Aussie comedy then watch 'Mr Inbetween'.

More serious than Barry (obviously) and very, very clever. Asks some great moral questions.
It's a great show. :thumbup:
C69

Post by C69 »

Season 3 of Norsemen is starting soon :thumbup:
Winnie

Post by Winnie »

Again late to the party but how good is The Boys?!
anonymous_joe

Post by anonymous_joe »

Winnie wrote:Again late to the party but how good is The Boys?!
Watched a load of it hungover with one of my mates before. I fúcking hate comic book shíte and it does a good job of showing what massive cúnts they'd really be.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

It's very good. Some intentionally overblown silliness (Karl Urban), and some actually insightful stuff about how super heroes might behave or be managed in a "real" world.

Very entertaining, which is the main thing, and Starlight is a smoke show. Queen Maeve is class too, Shame the actress didn't keep her Irish accent, considering the figure she's based on.
Homelander is brilliant. Utterly unhinged and very well acted.
TheBouncer

Post by TheBouncer »

Season 3 of the Sinner was terrible, huge disappointment.

Thou Shalt Not Kill is a great cop show. Italian, on C4, lead is a smokeshow.
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

TheBouncer wrote:Season 3 of the Sinner was terrible, huge disappointment.
Stopped watching it 2 episodes in. Could see exactly where it was gonna go and wasn't interested in seeing that story retread again.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Finally started watching through Parks and Rec after having seen bits of it here and there before. It's suitably funny and silly. :thumbup:

I did have a snigger at the whole concept of Amy Poehler's Leslie feeling awkward about behaving awkwardly on a first date with Louis CK's cop character. She probably wouldn't do worse than him wanking at her. :lol:
dargotronV.1

Post by dargotronV.1 »

Nolanator wrote:Finally started watching through Parks and Rec after having seen bits of it here and there before. It's suitably funny and silly. :thumbup:

I did have a snigger at the whole concept of Amy Poehler's Leslie feeling awkward about behaving awkwardly on a first date with Louis CK's cop character. She probably wouldn't do worse than him wanking at her. :lol:
Damn I didn't even realise that was Louis CK.

Currently on season 4. Great stuff very well written and very perceptive about life working in local authorities.
clementinfrance

Post by clementinfrance »

Last time (4 years ago) I consulted PR boredies for recommedations regarding TV series I got so great suggestions....

I've seen all the following and I'm struggling to find anything that sounds up my street.

Homeland
Justified
Fargo
Peaky Blinders
The Wire
Breaking Bad
Deadwood
Boardwalk empire
Game of thrones
True detective
Mad men
The Knick
The Shield
Narcos
Mr Robot
The Leftovers

Tried Westworld but gave up during the 2nd season which was poor.

Also tried The Handmaids Tale but was left underwhelmed...
ticketlessinseattle

Post by ticketlessinseattle »

Succession
Ray Donovan
Get Shorty
Veep
Barry
Undercover (Belgian)
Jeff the Bear

Post by Jeff the Bear »

Billions
The Expanse
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

clementinfrance wrote:Last time (4 years ago) I consulted PR boredies for recommedations regarding TV series I got so great suggestions....

I've seen all the following and I'm struggling to find anything that sounds up my street.

Homeland
Justified
Fargo
Peaky Blinders
The Wire
Breaking Bad
Deadwood
Boardwalk empire
Game of thrones
True detective
Mad men
The Knick
The Shield
Narcos
Mr Robot
The Leftovers

I’d recommend;

Better Call Saul
Billions
Succession
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

clementinfrance wrote:Last time (4 years ago) I consulted PR boredies for recommedations regarding TV series I got so great suggestions....

Homeland
Justified
Fargo
Peaky Blinders
The Wire
Breaking Bad
Deadwood
Boardwalk empire
Game of thrones
True detective
Mad men
The Knick
The Shield
Narcos
Mr Robot
The Leftovers

Try Inhuman Resources
Gavin Duffy

Post by Gavin Duffy »

The Witcher
Chernobyl
clementinfrance

Cheers guys. :thumbup:

Done Veep apart form the last season I think.

Did Chernobyl with the kids during lockdown. V Good.

I assume Get Shorty is based on Elmore Leonard's book. I quite liked the film so may give it a go...

Succession sounds a little like Arrested Developement which was brilliant. On the list it goes...

As does Billions (never heard of it) and Better Call Saul which I just never got round to starting.
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

clementinfrance wrote:Cheers guys. :thumbup:

I assume Get Shorty is based on Elmore Leonard's book. I quite liked the film so may give it a go...

Succession sounds a little like Arrested Developement which was brilliant. On the list it goes...

As does Billions (never heard of it) and Better Call Saul which I just never got round to starting.
I'd put a vote in for Ozark which I didn't see mentioned yet either. Better call Saul is brilliant, level with breaking bad imho
hewtwit

Post by hewtwit »

Succession is nothing like Arrested development, not a comedy (although funny) but it’s really great
Winnie

Post by Winnie »

Jay Cee Gee wrote:
TheBouncer wrote:Season 3 of the Sinner was terrible, huge disappointment.
Stopped watching it 2 episodes in. Could see exactly where it was gonna go and wasn't interested in seeing that story retread again.
It was complete shite
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Homeland
Justified
Fargo
Peaky Blinders
The Wire
Breaking Bad
Deadwood
Boardwalk empire
Game of thrones
True detective
Mad men
The Knick
The Shield
Narcos
Mr Robot
The Leftovers

The Americans - it's brilliant, I'd rate it above most of that list. (I've probably recommended it 100s of times in the thread :) ).

Halt and Catch Fire - a show about the early days of personal computing (begins 80s era), bumpy first season but got better and better.

Friday Night Lights - drama about a high school American football team. Great TV if you don't mind a bit of teen drama to go with your adult drama.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Bimboc69 wrote:Season 3 of Norsemen is starting soon :thumbup:

One of my favourites!
clementinfrance

Thanks UncleFB and JPNZ :thumbup:

Will give Ozark and The Americans a try...
ticketlessinseattle

Post by ticketlessinseattle »

JPNZ wrote:

I'd put a vote in for Ozark which I didn't see mentioned yet either. Better call Saul is brilliant, level with breaking bad imho
yup ; would definitely add Billions and Ozark to the list - dont see how you'd not enjoy them ; Better Call Saul also great but more of a marmite call ; Get Shorty not really like the movie but very enjoyable ; Chris O'Dowd is brilliant
True Blue

Post by True Blue »

Succession was amazing. Not a comedy though, more a serious look into the life of the ultra wealthy. Does have some funny moments at times though.
Maniototo Man

Post by Maniototo Man »

May have mentioned it before but has anyone here watched Damages? US legal series with Glenn Close at her mad bitch best and Rose Byrne as the two central characters.

Had a number of very good guest actors taking major parts for different seasons including William Hurt, Ten Danson (who surprised me) and John Goodman.

Ran from 2007 - 2012 and, like a lot of series, it took a while to warm to its work and was at its best in the middle seasons. 91% on Rotten Tomatoes and an 8.1 on IMDb.
lorcanoworms

Post by lorcanoworms »

Maniototo Man wrote:May have mentioned it before but has anyone here watched Damages? US legal series with Glenn Close at her mad bitch best and Rose Byrne as the two central characters.

Had a number of very good guest actors taking major parts for different seasons including William Hurt, Ten Danson (who surprised me) and John Goodman.

Ran from 2007 - 2012 and, like a lot of series, it took a while to warm to its work and was at its best in the middle seasons. 91% on Rotten Tomatoes and an 8.1 on IMDb.
Watched a few episodes and enjoyed them.
Duff Paddy

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2019?

Post by Duff Paddy »

Sydvicious wrote:
Jim Lahey wrote:
sockwithaticket wrote:New series of All or Nothing just dropped on amazon, Carolina Panthers this time. Despite having very little interest in American Football, I enjoy this a great deal. It's interesting to see behind the scenes of a contact sport.
I’m 100% the same as you.
I’d like to get into the NFL but just never get around to watching it, but I enjoy the shows on Amazon.
I got an email earlier saying another season of Last Chance U was out this weekend on Netflix.
I love this show! This is what got me into the NFL.
Didn't know there was a new season out. I'm going to binge it today!
New season of Last Chance U starts tomorrow on Netflix... cannot wait
hermie

Post by hermie »

True Blue wrote:

Succession was amazing. Not a comedy though, more a serious look into the life of the ultra wealthy. Does have some funny moments at times though.
Not a comedy but funnier than 99% of comedies out there.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

Last Chance U new season on Netflix - episode 4 they do a bloody haka. There’s a Tongan guy on the team who teaches them :lol:
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

Watching one of the stars of this years season - Dior Walker - living in his car, working in Wing Stop, hasn’t a penny to his name - would probably be one of the biggest stars of world rugby if he switched codes :?
Jim Lahey

Post by Jim Lahey »

Duff Paddy wrote:Last Chance U new season on Netflix - episode 4 they do a bloody haka. There’s a Tongan guy on the team who teaches them :lol:
I started rewatching the 1st season again with Buddy Stevens coaching and will work my way through to the latest.
The state of that riot at the end of the first season :lol: :lol:
There should have been a few lads done for gbh never mind a 2 game suspension.
Ulsters Red Hand

Post by Ulsters Red Hand »

Not new and not really a series but have been getting in to some Louis Theroux documentaries. Never having seen them, only heard of the subject itself, but the Westboro Baptist ones are crazy. While what they do is obviously not ok, part of me couldn’t help but feel sorry for them when their families essentially break up, especially in the third one

Nazi one is very good and just as ridiculous
naki

Post by naki »

Duff Paddy wrote:Watching one of the stars of this years season - Dior Walker - living in his car, working in Wing Stop, hasn’t a penny to his name - would probably be one of the biggest stars of world rugby if he switched codes :?
Only a few episodes in (haven't even had a chance to jerk it to the haka ep yet) but that "kid" is amazing. Working his arse off, training his arse off, switching to QB from nowhere then turning his team's season around, having panic attacks on the training field because of his shitty Dad, all the while sleeping in his car. This documentary series is really good.
Bindi

Post by Bindi »

Finally made it through Dark S01. Outstanding show. Made me wonder why we don't see more quality German stuff.
anonymous_joe

Post by anonymous_joe »

Duff Paddy wrote:Watching one of the stars of this years season - Dior Walker - living in his car, working in Wing Stop, hasn’t a penny to his name - would probably be one of the biggest stars of world rugby if he switched codes :?
It's a bizarre way of living, alright.

The really sad thing is how unlikely they are of making it as pros. Getting a degree would change their lives, but most of them seen unwilling and/or incapable of academic performance.
quarter2four

Post by quarter2four »

Dior's father is some piece of work.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

anonymous_joe wrote:

The really sad thing is how unlikely they are of making it as pros. Getting a degree would change their lives, but most of them seen unwilling and/or incapable of academic performance.
The aim is not to make it as a pro, the aim is a full ride scholarship for a college education. Making the nfl is like a lotto win, forget it.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

quarter2four wrote:Dior's father is some piece of work.
Isn’t he just. A complete arsehole. Dripping with insincerity. I have a lot of time for Dior he seems like a great kid considering.
anonymous_joe

Post by anonymous_joe »

Duff Paddy wrote:
anonymous_joe wrote:

The aim is not to make it as a pro, the aim is a full ride scholarship for a college education. Making the nfl is like a lotto win, forget it.
Not sure they realise that.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Most give that a watch. Sounds very compelling.

What happens high level college athletes who never quite make the grade? Seems absolutely mad to me how there's only one level of Pro American football. College sports seems to fill that local community sports gap that is filled by other various pro sports in other parts of the world.