The best new and returning TV series of 2020?

All things Rugby
anonymous_joe

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2020?

Post by anonymous_joe »

Nolanator wrote:Most give that a watch. Sounds very compelling.

What happens high level college athletes who never quite make the grade? Seems absolutely mad to me how there's only one level of Pro American football. College sports seems to fill that local community sports gap that is filled by other various pro sports in other parts of the world.
There are semi-pro leagues, etc, but yeah, not much out there for most of them.
ticketlessinseattle

Post by ticketlessinseattle »

Bindi wrote:Finally made it through Dark S01. Outstanding show. Made me wonder why we don't see more quality German stuff.
Bad Banks
Babylon Berlin
Deutschland 83
ticketlessinseattle

anonymous_joe wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:
anonymous_joe wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:Watching one of the stars of this years season - Dior Walker - living in his car, working in Wing Stop, hasn’t a penny to his name - would probably be one of the biggest stars of world rugby if he switched codes :?
It's a bizarre way of living, alright.

The really sad thing is how unlikely they are of making it as pros. Getting a degree would change their lives, but most of them seen unwilling and/or incapable of academic performance.
The aim is not to make it as a pro, the aim is a full ride scholarship for a college education. Making the nfl is like a lotto win, forget it.
Not sure they realise that.
yeah, I think they still want to make it as a pro ; why else do they want a scholarship if a lot of them don't seem to bother their arse studying ?....or maybe I'm watching too many tv shows when all they do is train, play and not study ?
anonymous_joe

Post by anonymous_joe »

Well a number of them were attending the various colleges in the series for failing to make the grade - so to speak - academically at their parent university.
Inch high hogs eye

Post by Inch high hogs eye »

Well, Get Shorty got shitty
Savl

Post by Savl »

For those who enjoyed Deutschland 83 you may want to search out Tannbach. Starts the day before war end in Europe and is set in a village divided by Iron Curtain.

Also Sky are rerunning The Night of, which is seriously good with some seriously good acting
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

Inch high hogs eye wrote:Well, Get Shorty got shitty
It was heading that way. Some good characters but the writing was always a bit made up as it went along. Still think O’Dowd was terrible casting, he’s about as hard as the Easter Bunny
Inch high hogs eye

Duff Paddy wrote:
Inch high hogs eye wrote:Well, Get Shorty got shitty
It was heading that way. Some good characters but the writing was always a bit made up as it went along. Still think O’Dowd was terrible casting, he’s about as hard as the Easter Bunny
Didn’t mind O’Dowd, and thought they got the black comedy balance just about right in 1 & 2, but 3 was completely tone deaf and the ham-fisted way they manoeuvred the key characters into position was painful.
C69

Post by C69 »

Cursed Netlix.... Gash
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

Raised by Wolves, Ridley Scott's new Scifi series out in a month on HBO Max.

https://youtu.be/nAg6RTQEfeM

Looks good
Blackrock Bullet

Post by Blackrock Bullet »

https://youtu.be/wU_Fom02PIw

For any Succession fans
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Just saw the trailer for Season 2 of the Boys....

Oh yes
ScarfaceClaw

Post by ScarfaceClaw »

Pat the Ex Mat wrote:Just saw the trailer for Season 2 of the Boys....

Oh yes
Now laser my fucking tits.
maverickmak

Post by maverickmak »

Very much looking forward to Lovecraft Country. Early reviews have been strong.
ticketlessinseattle

just got Amazon Prime Video ; not really into Sci Fi/fantasy stuff but any good recommendations ? Goliath ? Sneaky Pete, ? Flea Bag ? cheers
Bindi

Post by Bindi »

ticketlessinseattle wrote:just got Amazon Prime Video ; not really into Sci Fi/fantasy stuff but any good recommendations ? Goliath ? Sneaky Pete, ? Flea Bag ? cheers
Fleabag is one of the greatest comedies ever made.
Last edited by Bindi on Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
ScarfaceClaw

Post by ScarfaceClaw »

ticketlessinseattle wrote:just got Amazon Prime Video ; not really into Sci Fi/fantasy stuff but any good recommendations ? Goliath ? Sneaky Pete, ? Flea Bag ? cheers
Black Sails is alright. Vikings up until about season 4 is well worth it. Have seen first season of Snecky Pete and despite being very obvious is quite watchable.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Bindi wrote:
Yep - very pleasantly surprised by it
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

I know you said no sci-fi, but the Expanse is great. It's not sci-fi in the way star Trek etc is. Much more gritty and "realistic" near future stuff. Decent characters and drama within that setting.
Still contains spaceships, weird alien tech, etc.

The Boys is great fun, and season 2 is only weeks away. Definitely watch that.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

Blackrock Bullet wrote:https://youtu.be/wU_Fom02PIw

For any Succession fans
That is superb
Luckycharmer

Post by Luckycharmer »

clementinfrance wrote:Last time (4 years ago) I consulted PR boredies for recommedations regarding TV series I got so great suggestions....

I've seen all the following and I'm struggling to find anything that sounds up my street.

Homeland
Justified
Fargo
Peaky Blinders
The Wire
Breaking Bad
Deadwood
Boardwalk empire
Game of thrones
True detective
Mad men
The Knick
The Shield
Narcos
Mr Robot
The Leftovers

Tried Westworld but gave up during the 2nd season which was poor.

Also tried The Handmaids Tale but was left underwhelmed...
Gomorrah the tv series is one of the best shows I have watched in the last few years, can be hard enough to find though

Dexter is good fun as well
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

Try Broadchurch Clement.
ticketlessinseattle

cheers all on the Amazon prime recommendations
Akkerman

Post by Akkerman »

Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
Bindi wrote:
Yep - very pleasantly surprised by it
+1 it's awesome

Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

Luckycharmer wrote:
Dexter is good fun as well
Pro tip for anyone watching Dexter though - stop after series 4 (the one with John Lithgow). Just pretend there wasn't any more made after that.
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

Bindi wrote:
I just don't get the hype for this. Found it a bit amusing at times, but nothing special at all.
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

Bit late to the party but I finished all 3 seasons of Ozark in a month. Quality show!
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

Currently watching Season 2 of Umbrella Academy.

It's a bit twee and consciously quirky, but enjoyable and fun.
ticketlessinseattle

Jay Cee Gee wrote:
Bindi wrote:
I just don't get the hype for this. Found it a bit amusing at times, but nothing special at all.
watched 1st 2 episodes - enjoyable enough ; also watched Jack Ryan 1st episode - enjoyed it ; the face-off between him and his former Wall Street boss was a bit cringeworthy but overall, I'm looking forward to next episode
OttawaKat

Post by OttawaKat »

Jay Cee Gee wrote:
Bindi wrote:
I liked it okay, but certainly no more than Louie or Master of None. The sad protagonist who doesn’t quite fit in has been done. I would say the first two seasons of Baskets were in the same genre.
OttawaKat

Post by OttawaKat »

ticketlessinseattle wrote:cheers all on the Amazon prime recommendations
Zero Zero Zero is really good as well.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Forgot about Jack Ryan, I really enjoyed the first season. 2nd was ok, but didn't grip me as much.
ticketlessinseattle

OttawaKat wrote:
ticketlessinseattle wrote:cheers all on the Amazon prime recommendations
Zero Zero Zero is really good as well.
cheers, and with our very own Gabriel Byrne ! will check that out
Ewinkum

Post by Ewinkum »

Cobra Kai. (Unless you’re too much of a pussy).

Faithful sequel (34 years later), to the original karate kid with the same actors in the lead roles.
I picked it as family viewing before my kid hits the sack.
I wasn’t expecting too much but I found myself laughing my arse off at a couple of Johnny Lawrence’s lines.

Plenty of nostalgia and flashbacks for Gen Xers and lots of advice on how to stick your feelings up your hole for the younger viewers.
Season 3 is on the way.

Trailer:
https://youtu.be/xCwwxNbtK6Y
Jerome Manning

Post by Jerome Manning »

Bojack Horseman has some dross you have to put up with (anything involving Todd is just dumb), but the high points are transcendental. It's art rather than TV.
paddyor

Post by paddyor »

Someone posted this clip on twitter a few weeks ago saying how mad that this scene appeared on network TV in the 80s and I tend to agree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aMCzRj3Syg

Anyway I thought about watching it(too young when it was out) and it has 25 episodes a season! I'm sure it's cheesy as fudge but there's a lot you can do with 25 episodes. Nothing gets 25 episodes anymore.

I found a streaming site and watched what I thought was the first episode but I now think(pretty sure) was cut and paste of the entire first season. It was done fairly well and I didn't relaize until the end because as I understand it that scene is from the end of the season. So I need some new streaming sites. best-series is gone and projectfreetv has let me down.
Inch high hogs eye

Jerome Manning wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:41 am Bojack Horseman has some dross you have to put up with (anything involving Todd is just dumb), but the high points are transcendental. It's art rather than TV.
Yeah, the way it takes a scalpel to some key life issues, like the leaching toxicity of a parent with a borderline personality, is unlike anything I’ve seen, Sopranos included. Despite it’s broadly humorous Far Side-esque set-up, Todd’s an uber stupid sit-com trope who provides the writers with some easy laughs, but the character feels plucked from a different type of show. It took me a long time to get into it, possibly because of the Todd heavy early episodes...
Jerome Manning

Post by Jerome Manning »

Inch high hogs eye wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:12 am
Jerome Manning wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:41 am Bojack Horseman has some dross you have to put up with (anything involving Todd is just dumb), but the high points are transcendental. It's art rather than TV.
Yeah, the way it takes a scalpel to some key life issues, like the leaching toxicity of a parent with a borderline personality, is unlike anything I’ve seen, Sopranos included. Despite it’s broadly humorous Far Side-esque set-up, Todd’s an uber stupid sit-com trope who provides the writers with some easy laughs, but the character feels plucked from a different type of show. It took me a long time to get into it, possibly because of the Todd heavy early episodes...

I find it difficult to recommended to people: "It's utterly brilliant, but you're going to have to put up with a lot a shit bits where you don't get where it's going - and you'll think I'm a dick for telling you to watch it"
Inch high hogs eye

Jerome Manning wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:34 pm
Inch high hogs eye wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:12 am

I find it difficult to recommended to people: "It's utterly brilliant, but you're going to have to put up with a lot a shit bits where you don't get where it's going - and you'll think I'm a dick for telling you to watch it"
I would imagine that encouraging them to watch a multi-layered psychological dissection of a sociopathic, pissed-up talking horse will probably weed out a few from the get go :D
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

Brave New World is really good - fair play to Sky they put the money in to do it justice