5. Paripari Parkinson
4. Sam Whitelock
3. Mike Ala'alatoa
2. Code Taylor
1. Joe Moody

Unlucky: Tom Christie, Mitch Hunt, TJ Perenara

Player of the Week: Shannon Frizell

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:01 am 

Frizzell was scary good. If he wasn't on the park the Crusaders would have won easily. (Yes, they won easily on the scoreboard, but it was a lot closer than the scoreboard suggests).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:04 am 

Sensible Stephen wrote:
Frizzell was scary good. If he wasn't on the park the Crusaders would have won easily. (Yes, they won easily on the scoreboard, but it was a lot closer than the scoreboard suggests).

It was the best performance of his career and the best by any NZ no.6 in many years.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:22 am 

No Dane Coles award? Disappointing but pleasing at the same time.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:39 am 

Wilderbeast wrote:

No players stood out in that way, but I strongly considered awarding it to Ben O'Keefe.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:44 am 

Should be Goodhue over Thompson.

Whitelock is just not making impact with runs - Shirley someone better.

Cruden for Dane Coles award.

Will Jordan was excellent.

Gus was average at 8 at best.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:45 am 

Actually Jensen Umaag might be better for aggressive defence.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:46 am 

Ali's Choice wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:

No players stood out in that way, but I strongly considered awarding it to Ben O'Keefe.

I wouldn’t disagree.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:49 am 

kiwigreg369 wrote:
Should be Goodhue over Thompson.

Whitelock is just not making impact with runs - Shirley someone better.

Cruden for Dane Coles award.

Will Jordan was excellent.

Gus was average at 8 at best.

Whitelock's core role as a lock is the set piece, and he was good at scrum time and the lineout. Goodhue was solid but he played 12, not 13.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:53 am 

True - forgot Goodhue was 12.
Anyway - gone for Jensen-Umaga.

On Whitelock doing the core role ok is not enough - especially from him. He’s not even the best lock in the comp at the moment. Your picking him on past form.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:58 am 

kiwigreg369 wrote:
True - forgot Goodhue was 12.
Anyway - gone for Jensen-Umaga.

On Whitelock doing the core role ok is not enough - especially from him. He’s not even the best lock in the comp at the moment. Your picking him on past form.

If I had to pick one current SR Aotearoa player to clean out an opposing player to save my life, I would pick Sam Whitelock. I am glad that the AB selection team have never selected our locks based on their line-breaks and running metres. Well, not since Isaac Ross.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:29 am 

Ali's Choice wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:

I'm sure you could have picked one of the Chiefs, or Gatland OUT.

JB obviously selected for his big penalty and so you can avoid a shitfight with Sonny Barrett.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:32 am 

UncleFB wrote:
JB obviously selected for his big penalty and so you can avoid a shitfight with Sonny Barrett.

JB also had two try assists. I thought he was better than McKenzie, Havili or Collins this week, despite being far from perfect. As I mentioned in my post match comment, JB still has a 'Bambi on ice' feel about him, and you get the sense that you could make a huge error at any moment. But I think he was good overall.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:44 am 

Ali's Choice wrote:
UncleFB wrote:

JB also had two try assists. I thought he was better than McKenzie, Havili or Collins this week, despite being far from perfect. As I mentioned in my post match comment, JB still has a 'Bambi on ice' feel about him, and you get the sense that you could make a huge error at any moment. But I think he was good overall.

It's all good, I just like having a jab at the JB fluffers. :D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:09 am 

I didn’t think Lumpy was anything special on the weekend in fact he was over shadowed by Umaga-Jensen who was possibly the best midfielder on show at the weekend imo. I don’t think Rob Thompson was great either, just solid but I guess that was the same for all the midfields on the weekend. Solid without being spectacular.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:12 am 

trapper wrote:
I didn’t think Lumpy was anything special on the weekend in fact he was over shadowed by Umaga-Jensen who was possibly the best midfielder on show at the weekend imo. I don’t think Rob Thompson was great either, just solid but I guess that was the same for all the midfields on the weekend. Solid without being spectacular.

I think Thompson was better than just solid. He made good metres every time he touched the ball and his defensive work was brilliant. The Highlanders tackled very well, against an organised Crusaders attack. Umaga-Jensen was also very good, I agree.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:46 am 

UncleFB wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
UncleFB wrote:

It's all good, I just like having a jab at the JB fluffers. :D

I thought JB was terrible in the 1st half. A bouncing bobbled pass that fortunately went to the winger for an easy try anyway but it was sloppy. A kick pass into touch whilst hard on attack was awful then an aimless half hearted kick out of defence that gave the ball straight back to the Chiefs to resume their attack. It was neither a chip kick nor a full clearance kick when a long clearance was what was required.

He gives me the shits. Unless his game matures I don't want him at fullback in the AB's.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:18 am 

The pass found the man and the try was scored. Sorry it wasn’t sexy enough for you.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:52 am 

Wilderbeast wrote:
The pass found the man and the try was scored. Sorry it wasn’t sexy enough for you.

:lol: exactly. A try assist is a try assist, whether it looks like Scarlett Johansson or it looks like Roseanne Barr - the end is result is all that matters.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:18 am 

Frizzel was outstanding but I'll put in a very honourable mention for, on here at least, the much maligned Prinsep. He was at the heart of the defense that won the game for the 14 man Canes. Topped the tackle count by a mile and was everywhere. Turned in the sort of display that repaid the coaches faith in him.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:26 am 

Flockwitt wrote:
Frizzel was outstanding but I'll put in a very honourable mention for, on here at least, the much maligned Prinsep. He was at the heart of the defense that won the game for the 14 man Canes. Topped the tackle count by a mile and was everywhere. Turned in the sort of display that repaid the coaches faith in him.

Yes, he was good. A very Crusader-like performance in the 6 jersey, just tackled everything that moved for 80 mins. Vaea Fifita is going to struggle to force his way into the starting XV if Princep keeps performing like that. Reed playing in that fashion allows Ardie Savea to play a bit looser, and we all saw how dangerous he can be with ball in hand.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:32 am 

Ali's Choice wrote:
Flockwitt wrote:

Yes, he was good. A very Crusader-like performance in the 6 jersey, just tackled everything that moved for 80 mins. Vaea Fifita is going to struggle to force his way into the starting XV if Princep keeps performing like that. Reed playing in that fashion allows Ardie Savea to play a bit looser, and we all saw how dangerous he can be with ball in hand.

Unfortunately for Fifita he's also stuck with the highly useful sub label. Able to cover both lock and 6 off the bench well is a luxury the coaches may want to keep.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:42 am 

How is Kobus van Wyk going?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:52 am 

handyman wrote:

He scored two tries yesterday, although they were both from close range and more about his inside players getting him the ball than him creating something from scratch. Overall he has been good in 2020 for the Hurricanes, I'm just not sure why we are developing a winger for the RWC champs? Do you know if he is a genuine chicken runner or does he intend on returning to SA?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:26 am 

Ali's Choice wrote:
handyman wrote:

He scored two tries yesterday, although they were both from close range and more about his inside players getting him the ball than him creating something from scratch. Overall he has been good in 2020 for the Hurricanes, I'm just not sure why we are developing a winger for the RWC champs? Do you know if he is a genuine chicken runner or does he intend on returning to SA?

Not sure that he will ever be a genuine contender for the Boks. As things stand now, we are happy with Nkosi, Kolbe and Mapimpi.