NZ Politics Thread

All things Rugby
kiwinoz

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by kiwinoz »

Ted. wrote:
Dark wrote:Well that particular piece of badly rushed law was worth a hundred odd mill'

:roll:

https://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PA1912/ ... ailure.htm
Results are in, gun buy-back scheme a failure

The gun buy-back scheme has been a failure and the blame for that is squarely on the Government, National’s Justice spokesperson Mark Mitchell says.

“The gun buy-back amnesty closes today and the Government hasn’t even managed to buy back anywhere near the number of firearms it was aiming for.

“Advice from Police and independent experts KPMG pointed to the number of banned firearms in New Zealand as high as between 170,000-240,000 firearms. This matches commentary from firearm stakeholders as well.

“The only people who argue against this information are Government Ministers desperate to make their rushed job look like a success.

“As of today, Police estimate they have received over 50,000 firearms, but this is less than a third of what Police advised could be out there.

“I’d like to acknowledge the work of the Police. It’s clear why only a small number of firearms have been handed back and it’s on the Government that rushed the process, wasn’t clear on requirements, changed the prohibited list during the programme and failed to engage with the firearms community.

“The Government made a mistake in targeting law-abiding firearms owners when they should’ve targeted the gangs who peddle misery in communities across New Zealand.

“The result is a lot of confusion and lack of engagement. The buy-back has arguably been one of the Government’s most important policies. This is yet another failure to deliver.”
Oh look, let's blame the law and the lawmaker's rather than the crims. Fuck me, what an ignorant twat.
Who are the crims? Gangs, gun owners or the Aussie terrorist?
TheDocForgotHisLogon

Post by TheDocForgotHisLogon »

JPNZ wrote:
deadduck wrote:By the way, I read in the news today an article about HMNZS Rotoiti and Pukaki.
What a hilarious case of mismanagement, I'm surprised more wasn't made of it at the time. Cost the bloody taxpayers $72 million for 3 years of service.
You forgot the worst bit that in the 3 years of service they were only at sea for 9 months each. $72 million purchase price, 9 months at sea and selling for $20 million
Global Work Boats stated in its advertisement that the engines on Rotoiti and Pukaki only had between 5000 and 6000 hours on the clock, which would suggest they spent less than nine months at sea.
fudge me a decent kingfish charter operation will get through that in 18 months or so, and the boat's in the shed overnight.
Kahu

Post by Kahu »

part-time opposition leader Brudges is holidaying it up in the Philippines, trying to cosy up to filipino Nazi supporters. What is it with National leaders receiving the ball on a gold plate and dropping it in sight of the line???
Dark

Post by Dark »

Kahu wrote:part-time opposition leader Brudges is holidaying it up in the Philippines, trying to cosy up to filipino Nazi supporters. What is it with National leaders receiving the ball on a gold plate and dropping it in sight of the line???
Not sure

But it is going to be funny watching where ever she is this week Jacinda explaining spending 40 million on ihumatao in the next few days
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

She avoids anything to do with war because in her idealised hippy dreamworld there would be no wars. She didn't attend the 75th commemoration of D-Day and when asked why not she answered dismissively "I can't be everywhere!"

I imagine the liberation of Auschwitz would be even more distasteful for her holiness.
Dark

Post by Dark »

Seneca of the Night wrote:
Kahu wrote:part-time opposition leader Brudges is holidaying it up in the Philippines, trying to cosy up to filipino Nazi supporters. What is it with National leaders receiving the ball on a gold plate and dropping it in sight of the line???
Fair point, but are we sure jacinda isn't actually a nazi? https://www.kiwiblog.co.nz/2020/01/why_ ... ssing.html
She ain't Nazi. She is just vehemently anti-Israel, which wouldn't be an issue, as frankly I don't care, except the event has nothing to do with current politics and she is showing her "dumb" again.
terangi48

Post by terangi48 »

Classy writer this girl...................enjoy reading her musings.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... -musk-mars
jambanja

Post by jambanja »

terangi48 wrote:Classy writer this girl...................enjoy reading her musings.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... -musk-mars
I can see why you posted this in the NZ Politics threa...oh wait, no I can't :?:
terangi48

Post by terangi48 »

Confusing response there Jambanja...........
jambanja

Post by jambanja »

terangi48 wrote:Confusing response there Jambanja...........
Is it? There are multiple threads out there where that article would have been entirely appropriate, just didn't think the NZ Politics was one of them, hence the comment

Not a bad article though
Gordon Bennett

Post by Gordon Bennett »

Dark wrote:
Fair point, but are we sure jacinda isn't actually a nazi? https://www.kiwiblog.co.nz/2020/01/why_ ... ssing.html
She ain't Nazi. She is just vehemently anti-Israel, which wouldn't be an issue, as frankly I don't care, except the event has nothing to do with current politics and she is showing her "dumb" again.
Let's just say that being 'vehemently anti-Israel' has gotten a certain political party into a lot of trouble in the UK recently. I've long said this is on the way to NZ.
Mainly because they couldn't differentiate between criticising Zionism and criticising Judaism.
terangi48

Post by terangi48 »

@ Jambanja.......Many issues are now global.....I agree the article was "not bad"........and content style edgy.
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

Gordon Bennett wrote:
Dark wrote:
Let's just say that being 'vehemently anti-Israel' has gotten a certain political party into a lot of trouble in the UK recently. I've long said this is on the way to NZ.
Mainly because they couldn't differentiate between criticising Zionism and criticising Judaism.
How could anyone be anti-Zion, he went 4 from 4 from 3 point range in his debut game!
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

Brudges!

Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

National's self destruction since the last election is a godsend for Labour.

And their "positive" campaign will probably allow them to write off anyone pointing out their failure to deliver on most of their promises from the last election as indulging in dirty politics.
Harvey2.0

Post by Harvey2.0 »

Gordon Bennett wrote:
Dark wrote:
Helluva hornet's nest to wade in to there. You might say that, I might think that; I might not think that. But times have changed.

Question though: is there a deep school of extremely anti-Israel thought inside NZ Labour and the Greens?
Yep
https://1.org.nz/is-marama-davidson-a-d ... al-leader/

These are the people mad Marama was on the boat with, one designed a video game which encourages kids to kill Israelis [bonus points for head shot]

https://israelinstitute.nz/2019/12/kiwi ... errorists/

Golriz the narcissist has form in this area too , some people call these sort of comments and behaviour "dog whistle".

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/114200 ... itism?rm=a
https://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PO1804/ ... oncern.htm

A wannabe Labour mp posted this on facebook
http://www.jwire.com.au/nz-candidate-po ... tic-image/
Another called John Key "shylock".
https://www.stuff.co.nz/timaru-herald/n ... k-comments

I'm sure like the continual sexual assaults within Labour on young party members they aren't part of a wider pattern thats swept under the carpet and requoting this post with a smiley face emoji will make it all go away.
deadduck

Post by deadduck »

Makes a change from blaming the Chinese for everything I suppose. Maybe if Labour mix it up a bit the public won't notice
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

Harvey's been down the rabbit hole :uhoh:
RuggaBugga

Post by RuggaBugga »

I see the spastic is still going strong on this thread.
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

Wilderbeast wrote:Harvey's been down the rabbit hole :uhoh:
He forgot to take his medication.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Happy election year all. This thread nearly 6 years old. 8)
Harvey2.0

Post by Harvey2.0 »

Tehui wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:Harvey's been down the rabbit hole :uhoh:
He forgot to take his medication.
I'll have you know I took it as per the court order.
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

booji boy wrote:Happy election year all. This thread nearly 6 years old. 8)
With the same 3-4 people playing soggy biscuit.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Tehui wrote:
C'mon mate let's not lower the tone. ;)

Not accurate either. Dark and Harvey are relatively recent participants and back then Slow Wing was a huge participant but he hasn't been sighted in several years now.
kiweez

Post by kiweez »

booji boy wrote:
Tehui wrote:
C'mon mate let's not lower the tone. ;)

Not accurate either. Dark and Harvey are relatively recent participants and back then Slow Wing was a huge participant but he hasn't been sighted in several years now.
I’d love to post more, but for obvious reasons really really shouldn’t.
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

Tehui wrote:
:nod:

It's a national party branch meeting this thread.
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

Rumored election date 19th September
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Still feels like 5 minutes since the last election. Can't believe it's election year again already. Less than 8 months to the election.
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

Who to vote for?

Labour who have delivered very little of what they promised?

National who have largely self destructed since the last election leaving Simon, who looks well out of his depth, in charge and some very unappealing characters as the senior members?

NZ first which is really just Winnie first?

The Greens, who have taken a truly great concept and largely ruined it by appearing to ignore any science that gets in the way of the latest quick and easy fad?

One of the other minor parties that are mostly one cause wonders unlikely to have any influence?
Harvey2.0

Post by Harvey2.0 »

Fat Old Git wrote:Who to vote for?

Labour who have delivered very little of what they promised?

National who have largely self destructed since the last election leaving Simon, who looks well out of his depth, in charge and some very unappealing characters as the senior members?

NZ first which is really just Winnie first?

The Greens, who have taken a truly great concept and largely ruined it by appearing to ignore any science that gets in the way of the latest quick and easy fad?

One of the other minor parties that are mostly one cause wonders unlikely to have any influence?
Pretty much agree. Labour have achieved next to nothing and in some cases gone backwards but National don't look that great either.

I see Mallard is being sued for defamation for calling a parliamentary staffer a rapist. Apparently he wasn't and his name is well known in public service circles.
deadduck

Post by deadduck »

Vote for the only sane man remaining in parliament

Harvey2.0

Post by Harvey2.0 »

deadduck wrote:Vote for the only sane man remaining in parliament

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/politics/new ... d=12301946
deadduck

Post by deadduck »

Seymour does have to be careful about that sort of thing to be fair considering his supporters would struggle to fill a marquee
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Fat Old Git wrote:NZ first which is really just Winnie first?
Twas ever thus and thus it always will be.
Dark

Post by Dark »

booji boy wrote:Still feels like 5 minutes since the last election. Can't believe it's election year again already. Less than 8 months to the election.
That is probably because the current govt have done nothing in 3 years
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

It's an age thing. I'm beginning to understand why my Grandfather used to say it was always Christmas.
Harvey2.0

Post by Harvey2.0 »

Seneca of the Night wrote:I'll be voting for the first time in a very long time. I have previously decided to not vote as I have not been resident and therefore didn't feel I should. However this ridiculous experiment must end. National aren't up to much, but appointing someone as dim and ignorant as Jacinda to the top job - which is essentially a tough CEO gig given the nature and size of both NZ and the specifics of the job role (it's extremely executive) - is just ridiculous, and must end.

Don't come at me with whataboutery, yes, Simon isn't the best we can do, but Jacinda is just about the worst we can do. It must end before some real damage starts to get done.

Simon is far from the best we can do but his uselessness is in paremeters I’m far more comfortable than Ardern . I find it creepy when people deify politicians , in Arderns case it’s also weird considering how utterly ineffective her administration has been .

The latest crime stats are out and despite crime trending down throughout the West ours have been trending up for the past couple of years along with gang numbers.

https://www.stats.govt.nz/topics/crime-and-justice

Of course right on cue a herald story about how criminals might have suffered brain injuries turns upthis morning. I’m sure it’s a coincidence.
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

Jacinda isn’t shit, she just needs a better support crew. She has obvious strengths. Her response to the Christchurch disaster was unparalleled. However, her party is too shit to help her with her weaknesses. I also think she suffered a lot in the learner stakes, particularly given she only became leader a few weeks before becoming PM, a victory she didn’t expect. I know of a few high rankers in the public sector who really rate her.

She’s also held back by the greens and, especially, NZ First. People need to remember that John Key was fortunate enough to have high enough numbers to chop and change between act and Maori party to achieve what he needed. Labour is dependent on NZ First, and we all know how Winnie can be.
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

I don’t know their politics, which is how you’d expect those high up in the public sector to act.

So yeah, maybe?
Harvey2.0

Post by Harvey2.0 »

Wilderbeast wrote:Jacinda isn’t shit, she just needs a better support crew. She has obvious strengths. Her response to the Christchurch disaster was unparalleled. However, her party is too shit to help her with her weaknesses. I also think she suffered a lot in the learner stakes, particularly given she only became leader a few weeks before becoming PM, a victory she didn’t expect. I know of a few high rankers in the public sector who really rate her.

She’s also held back by the greens and, especially, NZ First. People need to remember that John Key was fortunate enough to have high enough numbers to chop and change between act and Maori party to achieve what he needed. Labour is dependent on NZ First, and we all know how Winnie can be.

Her response to the massacre was unparalleled ? That’s some hyperbole right there.
I’m not saying she didn’t rise to the occasion but I can see Helen Clark or John Key doing just as well . In fact Keys speech after Pike river when he talked to the families and bought up growing up without a dad as being one of his best moments as pm.

As a pm the last two years or so have pretty much been stagnant as far as major policies have gone . This nonsense about trying to run an election campaign that’s positive is just a pathetically transparent excuse to be able to label any criticism of her reign as negative or nasty.