Day 7 - 1,098 - 708 - 61 (9%)
Day 8 - 1,373 -797 - 89 (13%)
Day 9 - 1,716
Day 10 - 2,145
TheDocForgotHisLogon

Re: NZ Politics Thread - NEW ZEALAND LOCKDOWN THREAD

Post by TheDocForgotHisLogon »

https://twitter.com/kiwikaidoc/status/1 ... 31264?s=20

Doctors and lab workers getting very frustrated.
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

JB1981 wrote:Things have been moving quickly but the guidance around testing (discretion vs. as per the case definition) is a worrying area of ambiguity. That and what is “local” seem the two areas that have caused the most confusion.
I think the clinicians need to be given stricter guidelines, as a lot of them are obviously not taking the hint.

As for the restrict your travels to your "local" area, that requires common sense. Local changes depending on your location within a region. Is it urban, semi-rural or rural. Is it isolated rural. It would be a nightmare to attempt to be prescriptive with that.
Last edited by Ted. on Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

TheDocForgotHisLogon wrote:https://twitter.com/kiwikaidoc/status/1 ... 31264?s=20

Didn't seem to be too many Drs and lab workers as that twitter thread went on.
terangi48

Post by terangi48 »

26000 tests to date..........797 cases. That means .03% strike rate. Its like hunting for a needle in a haystack.

Time to beef up the stay at home message. Wite a set of rules like:
The Priority List:

1. Issue Working Medical and first Responders with Green Windscreen sticker.

2. Issue Essential Services with a Yellow windscreen Sticker.

3. Otherwise: car only to local Pharmacy, Supermarket, Medical Centre.

4. Otherwise: Walk only for exercise within 1 km of your place of lockdown.

5. Stay at Home

6. Fcuking stay at home

7. Fcuking stay at home you pricks.
TheDocForgotHisLogon

UncleFB wrote:
TheDocForgotHisLogon wrote:https://twitter.com/kiwikaidoc/status/1 ... 31264?s=20

Ha, no, Twitter but.
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

Just needs some minor tweaking. Some other items, such as traveling to donate blood, are also considered essential travel and would need to be added.
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

Ali's Choice wrote:Thinking of all my NZ boets during your lockdown. Some questions for you as an Aussie based poster who may be facing similar conditions in the near future?

1. What's been the worst thing about being in lockdown?
Wankers at the supermarket and other public places not observing social distancing and other basic precautions, like wearing gloves while you pock and prod the Avocados :x (I've only been to the supermarket once).
The uncertainty of our financial position if the lockdown is extended much beyond 12 weeks.
More for other's than us, at this stage, but the economic pain this will cause, especially the disruption to industries, small businesses especially, unemployment and general financial hardship.

2. Have there been any unexpected positives?
Definitely.
a) Catching up with writing, with which I am almost perpetually behind.
b) Our daughter is locked down with us. There's no hope of her going back to her ex, at least for the next 4, now 3, weeks.

3. Knowing what you know now, how would you have prepared differently for the lockdown?
Make sure I had a decent conferencing camera and mics on my primary computer - I managed to receive and get one set up last Friday, but it caused some angst. (we have a home office)
4. Has the mood of your community/city changed since the lockdown started?
More enhanced the neighbourliness than changed it. I guess that is another positive that should be listed under item 1.
5. Do you think the lockdown has been successful?
Too early to tell. Needs more testing. See positives listed under items 1 and 4.
Davedj77

Post by Davedj77 »

Ali's Choice wrote:Thinking of all my NZ boets during your lockdown. Some questions for you as an Aussie based poster who may be facing similar conditions in the near future?

3. Knowing what you know now, how would you have prepared differently for the lockdown?
1 - Trying to work from home with a 4 year old. My job requires attention to detail and being able to concentrate uninterrupted...which is impossible. My productivity has taken a massive hit. Also my daughter is starting to get sad and missing Kindy and her friends.
2 - I am getting much more sleep...I can get up at 7am instead of 5:30am.
3 - Would have been better stocked up with not just food but stuff to work on the house/property with (not that I have actually had all that much extra time to do that stuff)
4 - I go for walks/bike rides with my daughter every day and most people are really friendly and seem happy. I'm seeing way more people out walking/exercising than before the lockdown...all complying with the lockdown rules from what I can see though.
5 - Too early to tell. Maybe in a week or two we might know.
TheDocForgotHisLogon

Ted. wrote:1. What's been the worst thing about being in lockdown?
Wankers at the supermarket and other public places not observing social distancing and other basic precautions, like wearing gloves while you pock and prod the Avocados :x (I've only been to the supermarket once).

Blanket no thank'ee from me on any fresh produce not pre-packed when it went on the shelf. Apart from the cauliflower that's about to go get made into soup.
jambanja

Post by jambanja »

The golf course has been shut down, which means my Saturday escape has been taken away, the wife feels the same way
Spent a lot of time with my daughter that we wouldn't normally have because she'd be working or I'd be working.
I would have bought more board games, we have been playing a board game each night and it's been great fun, something we don't do nearly enough of. Oh and I would have bought some bigger clothes, mine are getting a bit tight
Can't say for sure because of the lockdown, but on my daily walks with the dog, a lot more people are saying hello etc, which is nice. I started doing it because I was visibly distancing myself from them so didn't want to appear rude, perhaps that's what we're all doing
To early to tell
Dark

Post by Dark »

Listener and Woman's Day GOOONNNEEEEEEE!!!!!

NNOOOO ...... How will I know what is happening to Brad, Jen, Harry and Megs?
Bauer Media , publisher of the Listener and Woman's Day, closing

Bauer Media NZ is closing its doors permanently, staff have been told.

The New Zealand wing of the company publishes a range of New Zealand magazines including the NZ Woman's Day, New Zealand Woman's Weekly, The Australian Women's Weekly, the Listener, North & South, Next, Metro, Kia Ora, Home NZ and Your Home & Garden.

The closure brings to an end many decades of publishing in New Zealand and affects all staff.

A staffer spoken to by the Herald said they were "devastated" and "didn't see it coming".

"There were plenty of tears shred. It's certainly a very grey day for New Zealand media.

"It's a big blow for magazines in New Zealand as they hold a special place in our country. Magazines have been in New Zealand for generations, they are a trusted friend and give comfort to many households."

The staffer said that even though magazines were deemed non-essential by the Government, staff were still working at home preparing to put out their next publication.

"This is a total shock. This is the end, it's awful."

She said the finer details such as redundancy pay-outs had yet to be confirmed.

Chief executive Brendon Hill told staff the news this morning in a company-wide Zoom meeting.

In a statement, Bauer said the closure was due to the "severe economic impact of Covid-19".

EY has been appointed to work alongside Bauer New Zealand to facilitate an orderly wind-down of the business.

"This is a devastating blow for our committed and talented team who have worked tirelessly to inform and entertain New Zealanders, through some of the country's best-loved and most-read magazines," Hill said.

"We understand the New Zealand Government's decision to move to Covid-19 Level 4, but it has put our business in an untenable position. Publishing in New Zealand is very dependent on advertising revenue and it is highly unlikely that demand will ever return to pre-crisis levels."

Bauer carried out an urgent review of its New Zealand operations and considered all options to keep part or all the business open, including engaging with the New Zealand Government, Hill said.

"An active search is underway to find buyers for our New Zealand assets, including our many iconic titles, however, so far an alternative owner has not been found."

Funding would be provided to enable all staff to be paid their full redundancy and leave entitlements.

"I would like to recognise the impact that this decision will have on our suppliers, customers and the wider publishing industry. This is a very difficult time for the entire media industry," Hill said.
deadduck

Post by deadduck »

terangi48 wrote:26000 tests to date..........797 cases. That means .03% strike rate. Its like hunting for a needle in a haystack.

The Priority List:

5. Stay at Home

6. Fcuking stay at home

Might want to check your maths bro
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

TheDocForgotHisLogon wrote:
UncleFB wrote:

Ha, no, Twitter but.
Yup, twitter be twitter :D
merlin the happy pig

Post by merlin the happy pig »

Davedj77 wrote:

1 - Trying to work from home with a 4 year old. My job requires attention to detail and being able to concentrate uninterrupted...which is impossible. My productivity has taken a massive hit. Also my daughter is starting to get sad and missing Kindy and her friends.
2 - I am getting much more sleep...I can get up at 7am instead of 5:30am.
3 - Would have been better stocked up with not just food but stuff to work on the house/property with (not that I have actually had all that much extra time to do that stuff)
4 - I go for walks/bike rides with my daughter every day and most people are really friendly and seem happy. I'm seeing way more people out walking/exercising than before the lockdown...all complying with the lockdown rules from what I can see though.
5 - Too early to tell. Maybe in a week or two we might know.
1. Setting a good example and NOT going surfing
2. The family started a nightly boot camp and I made a pull up frame out of scrap timber.
3. I would have sold all my stocks, 3 months ago and bought them all back today.
4. I haven't seen more than my 2 neighbours, have barely left the property.
5. It is better than having not done it, and was the right call even if it fails, expecting it to achieve what was hoped which is to buy time till we can find any of vaccine/treatments/enough knowledge to devise ways to return to work safely
Demilich

Post by Demilich »

I work from home (still have the same volume of work), live rural and produce a bunch of my own food anyway, so it really doesn't feel any different to normal - except I can't head off to Macca's for breakfast.

Only real bitch is that last Saturday was supposed to be my first league game in about 8 years, and that got canned. :x
terangi48

Post by terangi48 »

Deadduck.....bit challenged here.....3%?
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Dark wrote:Listener and Woman's Day GOOONNNEEEEEEE!!!!!

Only 5 hours late to this thread.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Davedj77 wrote:

What do you do, if you don't mind me asking?
Couch

Post by Couch »

I think this is a great victory that these woman's mags are disappearing.

Viva la Virus!
Dark

Post by Dark »

mr bungle wrote:
Dark wrote:Listener and Woman's Day GOOONNNEEEEEEE!!!!!

Only 5 hours late to this thread.
This is what happens when threads are 630 odd pages and losers like me can't be arsed reading them all
deadduck

Post by deadduck »

terangi48 wrote:Deadduck.....bit challenged here.....3%?
:thumbup:
Dark

Post by Dark »

terangi48 wrote:26000 tests to date..........797 cases. That means .03% strike rate. Its like hunting for a needle in a haystack.

The Priority List:

5. Stay at Home

6. Fcuking stay at home

F That. I live up a massive hill and the supermarket and dog walking park are only 5 minutes drive away, while a 30 minute fricken hill climb walking
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Not wanting to go all 'Dark' on Jacinda but does she really need to throw in those big forced smiles mid sentence when discussing serious issues? She mentioned that the wage subsidy "could and should" have made a difference to the Bauer staff now out of a job and threw in a big warm friendly smile as she said it. I'm sure that will make those writers and journalists feel a lot better about it. I would have thought she would be frowning her disappointment that Bauer didn't take it up.
Maniototo Man

Post by Maniototo Man »

booji boy wrote:Not wanting to go all 'Dark' on Jacinda but does she really need to throw in those big forced smiles mid sentence when discussing serious issues? She mentioned that the wage subsidy "could and should" have made a difference to the Bauer staff now out of a job and threw in a big warm friendly smile as she said it. I'm sure that will make those writers and journalists feel a lot better about it. I would have thought she would be frowning her disappointment that Bauer didn't take it up.
Might've been gas. :?
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Maniototo Man wrote:
booji boy wrote:Not wanting to go all 'Dark' on Jacinda but does she really need to throw in those big forced smiles mid sentence when discussing serious issues? She mentioned that the wage subsidy "could and should" have made a difference to the Bauer staff now out of a job and threw in a big warm friendly smile as she said it. I'm sure that will make those writers and journalists feel a lot better about it. I would have thought she would be frowning her disappointment that Bauer didn't take it up.
Might've been gas. :?
:D Maybe?
sonic_attack

Post by sonic_attack »

Just did the cross country tour from Glen Eden West Auckland to Remuera New World for the top ups. Scored a huge eye fillet and scotch fillet for fudge all. :lol:

Made sure I went past the covid-19 testing stations, all pretty slow except Mt Albert. About 150 cars stretching from St Luke's all the way back to New North Road..... That's Marist College country. Everywhere else none or very few cars.

Just realised u forgot baked beans, fudge it..
Dark

Post by Dark »

:?

Just said she was patronising

And a tad thick in the past
kiwinoz

Post by kiwinoz »

sonic_attack wrote:Just did the cross country tour from Glen Eden West Auckland to Remuera New World for the top ups. Scored a huge eye fillet and scotch fillet for fudge all. :lol:

Made sure I went past the covid-19 testing stations, all pretty slow except Mt Albert. About 150 cars stretching from St Luke's all the way back to New North Road..... That's Marist College country. Everywhere else none or very few cars.

If a cop stopped you do they beat you up or is travelling that far ie out of your suburb just to shop in a posher one OK?
naki

Post by naki »

sonic_attack wrote:Just realised u forgot baked beans.
May god have mercy on your soul
sonic_attack

Post by sonic_attack »

kiwinoz wrote:
sonic_attack wrote:Just did the cross country tour from Glen Eden West Auckland to Remuera New World for the top ups. Scored a huge eye fillet and scotch fillet for fudge all. :lol:

If a cop stopped you do they beat you up or is travelling that far ie out of your suburb just to shop in a posher one OK?
Not sure, i'll just say im going shopping. FWIW I've barely left the house in nearly 3 weeks. I walk to the end of the street and grab a loaf of bread and a couple bottles of milk every second/third day.
As far as I'm concerned I'm doing it right. I've shopped at one place for everything and wont need to drive anywhere until May.

Theres no way I'm shopping at the petri dish of Henderson or New Lynn.

I made sure I returned via Maioro Street too. :D
RuggaBugga

Post by RuggaBugga »

No pub
Saving a shiteload of money (in no small part due to 1)
Nothing really, handled the prep pretty well if I do say so.
Hard to gauge but in the course of my work I'm noticing a general trend toward people being a lot more stressed out and frazzled.
Ask me in three weeks. I sure as shit hope so.

My most abiding emotions through all of this are somewhat contradictory really.

I'm grateful to have a relatively secure job, I'm grateful I've been financial prudent and won't have to worry about having a roof over my head even if the shit really hits the fan, I'm grateful that I have a wife that I adore and is a friend to me as well as a partner and I'm grateful most of my friends and family are in similar positions.

On the flipside I feel sick to my stomach thinking about all the people who aren't as fortunate as me. Those whose livelihoods & relationships will be ruined by this thing, those that will lose loved ones, those that will lose their own lives, all the kids so affected by it yet lacking the capability to understand it. But for the grace of god and all that...

Shit I need a drink.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

sonic_attack wrote:
kiwinoz wrote:

Not sure, i'll just say im going shopping. FWIW I've barely left the house in nearly 3 weeks. I walk to the end of the street and grab a loaf of bread and a couple bottles of milk every second/third day.
As far as I'm concerned I'm doing it right. I've shopped at one place for everything and wont need to drive anywhere until May.

So you're really adamant Remuera is much safer than your local area? :?
TheDocForgotHisLogon

jambanja wrote:1. What's been the worst thing about being in lockdown?
The golf course has been shut down, which means my Saturday escape has been taken away, the wife feels the same way
Do you know whether greenpeekers are essential workers? The fairways will live but the greens will take a long time to be playable if they're not maintained.

Suspect too this is the last straw for many courses. Sadly.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Do you know whether greenpeekers are essential workers? The fairways will live but the greens will take a long time to be playable if they're not maintained.

They're not but NZGA is lobbying the Govt to allow single (not married with families) greenkeepers back on the courses to do really basic mowing and maintenance so that they don't lose the course altogether.

Got a rather stroppy email from my club yesterday because apparently quite a few members and non members have been flaunting the lockdown and playing the course. This despite all the flags being removed, all the tee markers removed and closed signs everywhere. Some people really are plums.
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

The Priority List:

5. Stay at Home

6. Fcuking stay at home

Gets my vote. Last Thursday/Friday the streets in Hamilton were deserted. I went out to deliver meals today and it was almost like a normal workday out there.

We are going to have to do this all again but next time I hope we put some effing teeth into it.
Fine (heavy) and then vehicle confiscation for the period of the lockdown.
sonic_attack

Post by sonic_attack »

booji boy wrote:
sonic_attack wrote:
kiwinoz wrote:

Nowhere is safe. But I'm in/out, no f**king around. Everything gets done and completed in one place. Go shopping in West Auckland and let me know how you get on - I already know the answer, but knock yourself out out there with the rest of them.
jambanja

Post by jambanja »

As Booji said, they're not essential yet, but this does have the potential to close down, for good, many courses. In some areas golf has been on a bit of a decline and many clubs were struggling financially already, this may well be the nail in the coffin.
We are fortunate that our club is fairly robust financially so we should be able to weather this storm, but it would be great if they allowed the greenkeepers to work, of all the essential workers they would probably be in the safest category.
They have no need to come into contact with each other, they can sterilise their machines when finished, well the parts that they touch. A lot safer than say a kiwifruit picker or packhouse worker who have to be quite vigilant in not coming into contact with each other

I've been walking the dog on our course every day and it's growing fast, hope they can sort something soon
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

sonic_attack wrote:
booji boy wrote:
sonic_attack wrote:
kiwinoz wrote:

Nowhere is safe. But I'm in/out, no f**king around. Everything gets done and completed in one place. Go shopping in West Auckland and let me know how you get on - I already know the answer, but knock yourself out out there with the rest of them.
Ah so it's the convenience of getting it all done in one place not a hygiene issue?
kiwinoz

Post by kiwinoz »

sonic_attack wrote:
booji boy wrote:
sonic_attack wrote:
kiwinoz wrote:

As you say Sonic you are not stopping along the way for a beer etc but there and back. Perfectly common sense but reading and hearing about rules being interpreted differently if you get stopped I just asked.