NZ Politics Thread

All things Rugby
User avatar
Enzedder
Posts: 20223
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Re: NZ Politics Thread - NEW ZEALAND ALERT LEVEL TWO THREAD

Post by Enzedder »

Flockwitt wrote:
Enzedder wrote:I think that after the disaster of PEP schemes, most government would be too scared to re-enter that fray Flockwitt. They seemed to be a way for gangs to launder their ill-gotten gains and stuff all got done.
I don't know the details of this Enzedder and am interested in the opinions and thoughts on the general problem from people who work around it. The root issue I guess isn't going to be solved by any single policy or program.

The lack of will from both the government and the voting public is noticeable - it's a topic that nobody really seems to know what to do, or even want to acknowledge that something needs to be done.

I reckon something like a ramped up Taskforce Green, administered at local level by councils (who should know what is needed and already have a lot of the required machinery).

Training should be ramped up as many under 25s will struggle again to find work.
User avatar
Ted.
Posts: 17645
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: NZ Politics Thread - NEW ZEALAND ALERT LEVEL THREE THREA

Post by Ted. »

Mr Mike wrote:TBF, in more ordinary times the conversation SOTN is trying to start would and should be front and center leading into an election.

A proper discussion about future direction and policy achievements would be an traditional part of assessing the success or failure of a first term and their appeal for a second term. I get that there are lots of reasons for not delivering on many campaign promises, not least the devil’s pact needed to accommodate the coalition partner, but the delivery record feels pretty underwhelming. At this stage it feel very much like stumbling into a second term through a lack of viable alternatives rather than riding a wave of achievements. Of course some will see crisis management as an achievement but to an extent those are also a valuable distraction from lack of tangible progress elsewhere. I may be misremembering but I think my only criticism of Ardern to date has been on what I saw as her populist grandstanding on the Aussies deportation policy, which Bridges was also guilty of, so I’m not approaching this from a partisan perspective. If I was intending to vote this year I’d like to have a more clearly articulated vision.

That said, they have done pretty well on the fx front, which was 59% of my policy expectations.
The problem is that Sen is not a salesman. He generates antipathy because he's a troll. He's a troll because he can't help but generate antipathy. What he isn't, is a reasoned or even a reasonable, conversationalist.

There is a school of thought that Cindy is Muldoon in panties (shudder), but I think that better describes Soyman.
User avatar
Ted.
Posts: 17645
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: NZ Politics Thread - NEW ZEALAND ALERT LEVEL THREE THREA

Post by Ted. »

Sonny Blount wrote:
Ted. wrote:
Dark wrote:By the end of the day cops will be able to enter your house without a warrant.

All Hail Jacinda!
They had that power under level 3 and 4, you dolt.

If you bothered to check, along with the other hysteric's, you would know that any entries must adhere to the Bill of Rights, that law is not suspended by the new law.

Because of a declaration of a civil emergency. Which has now ended so therefore full civil liberties resume.
Obviously, except they still need to be able to impose distancing and isolation controls if necessary, otherwise it is not lockdown level anything. Also obvious is that there the 1950s law doesn't translate well to our current society. They have actuality added protections under the Bill of Rights that are not otherwise there.

Seeing natural authoritarians flapping on the beach is fun.
obelixtim
Posts: 6215
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: NZ Politics Thread - NEW ZEALAND ALERT LEVEL TWO THREAD

Post by obelixtim »

Muldoon in panties
Dr Everitt V Scott.
User avatar
Mr Mike
Posts: 11079
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Texas

Re: NZ Politics Thread - NEW ZEALAND ALERT LEVEL TWO THREAD

Post by Mr Mike »

obelixtim wrote:
Muldoon in panties
Dr Everitt V Scott.
That’s a blast from the past.
User avatar
sonic_attack
Posts: 4111
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Contact:

Re: NZ Politics Thread - NEW ZEALAND ALERT LEVEL TWO THREAD

Post by sonic_attack »

$518 return trip Auk - QTN on some random picked dates June 1 through 7th. Looks like you might be able to come down to around $250ish if you book a way out. Not terrible.
User avatar
booji boy
Posts: 8932
Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 9:12 am

Re: NZ Politics Thread - NEW ZEALAND ALERT LEVEL TWO THREAD

Post by booji boy »

sonic_attack wrote:$518 return trip Auk - QTN on some random picked dates June 1 through 7th. Looks like you might be able to come down to around $250ish if you book a way out. Not terrible.
I booked flights Akl-Qtn return in December a few weeks ago and the flights on offer were the same as normal. I guess it remains to be seen whether Air NZ alter the booking as the revised flight schedules pick up in lockdown levels 1-2.
User avatar
Dark
Posts: 6308
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 2:38 am
Location: NZ

Re: NZ Politics Thread - NEW ZEALAND ALERT LEVEL THREE THREA

Post by Dark »

Ted. wrote:
Dark wrote:By the end of the day cops will be able to enter your house without a warrant.

All Hail Jacinda!
They had that power under level 3 and 4, you dolt.

If you bothered to check, along with the other hysteric's, you would know that any entries must adhere to the Bill of Rights, that law is not suspended by the new law.
At least the govt did a a massive backflip and changed it from their original 2 years rights to police enter your house without a warrant to just 3 months.

So that was nice of them.
User avatar
Ghost-Of-Nepia
Posts: 4259
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: NZ Politics Thread - NEW ZEALAND ALERT LEVEL TWO THREAD

Post by Ghost-Of-Nepia »

booji boy wrote:
sonic_attack wrote:$518 return trip Auk - QTN on some random picked dates June 1 through 7th. Looks like you might be able to come down to around $250ish if you book a way out. Not terrible.
I booked flights Akl-Qtn return in December a few weeks ago and the flights on offer were the same as normal. I guess it remains to be seen whether Air NZ alter the booking as the revised flight schedules pick up in lockdown levels 1-2.
Same. Back in December I booked Wellington to Dunedin return flights in July. I've held them, but thought I'd check prices again out of interest. Can get there and back for $89 each way so that's impressive.
User avatar
Kiwias
Posts: 41511
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: NZ Politics Thread - NEW ZEALAND ALERT LEVEL THREE THREA

Post by Kiwias »

Ted. wrote:
Ghost-Of-Nepia wrote:
Kiwias wrote:
Dark wrote:They have flip flopped on funerals now.

Changed it from 10 people to 50.

Fair play to them, even if they had to be pressured into it.
There was always going to be a significant component of flexibility in determining the details of govt measures and I'm glad this administration has shown an ability to finetune this way.
It speaks to the relatively untidy lawmaking that there was a 23-page SOP (Supplementary Order Paper) tabled yesterday correcting errors (or in some cases, accepting feedback from the Opposition) from the bill introduced only the day before.
There are always going to be drafting mistakes in or untended consequences to rushed legislation. The important thing is that those errors are corrected as they are discovered, rather than swept under the carpet to keep things tidy.
Making corrections as flaws are discovered is not a sign of weakness, nor does it constitute a flip flop.
Sonny Blount
Posts: 4370
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: NZ Politics Thread - NEW ZEALAND ALERT LEVEL THREE THREA

Post by Sonny Blount »

Ted. wrote:
Sonny Blount wrote:
Ted. wrote:
Dark wrote:By the end of the day cops will be able to enter your house without a warrant.

All Hail Jacinda!
They had that power under level 3 and 4, you dolt.

If you bothered to check, along with the other hysteric's, you would know that any entries must adhere to the Bill of Rights, that law is not suspended by the new law.

Because of a declaration of a civil emergency. Which has now ended so therefore full civil liberties resume.
Obviously, except they still need to be able to impose distancing and isolation controls if necessary, otherwise it is not lockdown level anything. Also obvious is that there the 1950s law doesn't translate well to our current society. They have actuality added protections under the Bill of Rights that are not otherwise there.

Seeing natural authoritarians flapping on the beach is fun.
Personally, I'm not flapping about the legality of any of it. They've generally had the consent of the public and they are trying to codify that as they go.

Don't know why we are in lockdown anything now though.
User avatar
Fat Old Git
Posts: 21335
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: A vacant lot next to a pile of rubble

Re: NZ Politics Thread - NEW ZEALAND ALERT LEVEL TWO THREAD

Post by Fat Old Git »

I always find it strange that we demand governments listen to us, fix their mistakes, and change their minds about things time think they have got wrong. Then when they do we give them shite for it.
User avatar
Tehui
Posts: 16380
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: NZ Politics Thread - NEW ZEALAND ALERT LEVEL THREE THREA

Post by Tehui »

Seneca of the Night wrote: Helen Clark was never a pragmatist. She was an operator, but that should not be mistaken for pragmatism. She was not a Social Democrat either. She was a ruthless ideologue - the only thing stopping her from turning New Zealand into a lesbian police state, where everything was turned entirely on its head, was that she was stopped by John Key. I would say it was a lucky escape, but it seems she is now exerting her influence through her cipher - Jacinda is a living manifestation of the Boomer id - an almost wholly created artifice.

It's like NZ has been caught in a constant loop since the very early 70s repeating the same policies of a small cabal of people from Auckland University. Some went one way, others went the other. But everything is a footnote to that. Gen X got trampled in a demographic pincer, and the millennials are just NPC tools for seemingly endless Boomer fantasies.
I just love the way you continue to classify people and put them all into simple boxes.
User avatar
Dark
Posts: 6308
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 2:38 am
Location: NZ

Re: NZ Politics Thread - NEW ZEALAND ALERT LEVEL THREE THREA

Post by Dark »

Kiwias wrote:
Ted. wrote:
Ghost-Of-Nepia wrote:
Kiwias wrote:
Dark wrote:They have flip flopped on funerals now.

Changed it from 10 people to 50.

Fair play to them, even if they had to be pressured into it.
There was always going to be a significant component of flexibility in determining the details of govt measures and I'm glad this administration has shown an ability to finetune this way.
It speaks to the relatively untidy lawmaking that there was a 23-page SOP (Supplementary Order Paper) tabled yesterday correcting errors (or in some cases, accepting feedback from the Opposition) from the bill introduced only the day before.
There are always going to be drafting mistakes in or untended consequences to rushed legislation. The important thing is that those errors are corrected as they are discovered, rather than swept under the carpet to keep things tidy.
Making corrections as flaws are discovered is not a sign of weakness, nor does it constitute a flip flop.
Sorry, but utter bollocks

Switching uber police powers from 2 years to 3 months and changing the funeral numbers, purely from media pressure and from the Nats and Seymour pressure is a flip flop in any ones book.

To twist it into a "pragmatic decision" is plain stupid.
User avatar
Flockwitt
Posts: 6592
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: NZ Politics Thread - NEW ZEALAND ALERT LEVEL TWO THREAD

Post by Flockwitt »

Enzedder wrote:
Flockwitt wrote:
Enzedder wrote:I think that after the disaster of PEP schemes, most government would be too scared to re-enter that fray Flockwitt. They seemed to be a way for gangs to launder their ill-gotten gains and stuff all got done.
I don't know the details of this Enzedder and am interested in the opinions and thoughts on the general problem from people who work around it. The root issue I guess isn't going to be solved by any single policy or program.

The lack of will from both the government and the voting public is noticeable - it's a topic that nobody really seems to know what to do, or even want to acknowledge that something needs to be done.

I reckon something like a ramped up Taskforce Green, administered at local level by councils (who should know what is needed and already have a lot of the required machinery).

Training should be ramped up as many under 25s will struggle again to find work.
Yep, this lack of employment for the younger section of the labour force and the aspirations of school leavers is going to be tough. Not hiring is going to be the new norm for a while now just as there is a huge number of unemployed skilled individuals applying. I really hope there's something in the budget to help address this in some manner.
User avatar
Kiwias
Posts: 41511
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: NZ Politics Thread - NEW ZEALAND ALERT LEVEL THREE THREA

Post by Kiwias »

Dark wrote:
Kiwias wrote:
Ted. wrote: There are always going to be drafting mistakes in or untended consequences to rushed legislation. The important thing is that those errors are corrected as they are discovered, rather than swept under the carpet to keep things tidy.
Making corrections as flaws are discovered is not a sign of weakness, nor does it constitute a flip flop.
Sorry, but utter bollocks

Switching uber police powers from 2 years to 3 months and changing the funeral numbers, purely from media pressure and from the Nats and Seymour pressure is a flip flop in any ones book.

To twist it into a "pragmatic decision" is plain stupid.
It is like talking to douche when he was at peak Nonu-hate mode.
User avatar
Dark
Posts: 6308
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 2:38 am
Location: NZ

Re: NZ Politics Thread - NEW ZEALAND ALERT LEVEL THREE THREA

Post by Dark »

Kiwias wrote:
Dark wrote:
Kiwias wrote:
Ted. wrote: There are always going to be drafting mistakes in or untended consequences to rushed legislation. The important thing is that those errors are corrected as they are discovered, rather than swept under the carpet to keep things tidy.
Making corrections as flaws are discovered is not a sign of weakness, nor does it constitute a flip flop.
Sorry, but utter bollocks

Switching uber police powers from 2 years to 3 months and changing the funeral numbers, purely from media pressure and from the Nats and Seymour pressure is a flip flop in any ones book.

To twist it into a "pragmatic decision" is plain stupid.
It is like talking to douche when he was at peak Nonu-hate mode.
And the other way around it is like talking to the President of the Official Jacinda Ardern fan club of NZ, president, who refuses to accept any criticism of the govt.
User avatar
Gordon Bennett
Posts: 2289
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: NZ Politics Thread - NEW ZEALAND ALERT LEVEL THREE THREA

Post by Gordon Bennett »

Dark wrote:
Kiwias wrote:
Dark wrote:
Kiwias wrote:
Ted. wrote: There are always going to be drafting mistakes in or untended consequences to rushed legislation. The important thing is that those errors are corrected as they are discovered, rather than swept under the carpet to keep things tidy.
Making corrections as flaws are discovered is not a sign of weakness, nor does it constitute a flip flop.
Sorry, but utter bollocks

Switching uber police powers from 2 years to 3 months and changing the funeral numbers, purely from media pressure and from the Nats and Seymour pressure is a flip flop in any ones book.

To twist it into a "pragmatic decision" is plain stupid.
It is like talking to douche when he was at peak Nonu-hate mode.
And the other way around it is like talking to the President of the Official Jacinda Ardern fan club of NZ, president, who refuses to accept any criticism of the govt.
[insert picture of broken record, particularly a tedious one like Agadoo]
User avatar
sonic_attack
Posts: 4111
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Contact:

Re: NZ Politics Thread - NEW ZEALAND ALERT LEVEL TWO THREAD

Post by sonic_attack »

Ghost-Of-Nepia wrote:
booji boy wrote:
sonic_attack wrote:$518 return trip Auk - QTN on some random picked dates June 1 through 7th. Looks like you might be able to come down to around $250ish if you book a way out. Not terrible.
I booked flights Akl-Qtn return in December a few weeks ago and the flights on offer were the same as normal. I guess it remains to be seen whether Air NZ alter the booking as the revised flight schedules pick up in lockdown levels 1-2.
Same. Back in December I booked Wellington to Dunedin return flights in July. I've held them, but thought I'd check prices again out of interest. Can get there and back for $89 each way so that's impressive.
I don't plan that far ahead, about two months is probably a stretch for me. :lol: Still, $250 there and back isn't a whole lot more and still good value given the massively reduced volume in these strange times.
User avatar
booji boy
Posts: 8932
Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 9:12 am

Re: NZ Politics Thread - NEW ZEALAND ALERT LEVEL TWO THREAD

Post by booji boy »

sonic_attack wrote:
Ghost-Of-Nepia wrote:
booji boy wrote:
sonic_attack wrote:$518 return trip Auk - QTN on some random picked dates June 1 through 7th. Looks like you might be able to come down to around $250ish if you book a way out. Not terrible.
I booked flights Akl-Qtn return in December a few weeks ago and the flights on offer were the same as normal. I guess it remains to be seen whether Air NZ alter the booking as the revised flight schedules pick up in lockdown levels 1-2.
Same. Back in December I booked Wellington to Dunedin return flights in July. I've held them, but thought I'd check prices again out of interest. Can get there and back for $89 each way so that's impressive.
I don't plan that far ahead, about two months is probably a stretch for me. :lol: Still, $250 there and back isn't a whole lot more and still good value given the massively reduced volume in these strange times.
I know I'm not supposed to mention this but I have an annual golf trip (sorry :uhoh: ) to Qtn every Nov/Dec and at the start of lockdown we all (9 of us) decided to be positive and make the booking and take our chances that things will be getting closer to normal by then. Still 7 months away so I guess anything could happen in that time but fingers crossed. 🤞

A little sooner than that I'd also love a ski trip to Qtn/Wanaka in Jul/Aug but it's very much wait and see right now. I imagine accommodation won't be an issue this year. :uhoh:
User avatar
Dark
Posts: 6308
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 2:38 am
Location: NZ

Re: NZ Politics Thread - NEW ZEALAND ALERT LEVEL THREE THREA

Post by Dark »

Gordon Bennett wrote:
Dark wrote:
Kiwias wrote:
Dark wrote:
Sorry, but utter bollocks

Switching uber police powers from 2 years to 3 months and changing the funeral numbers, purely from media pressure and from the Nats and Seymour pressure is a flip flop in any ones book.

To twist it into a "pragmatic decision" is plain stupid.
It is like talking to douche when he was at peak Nonu-hate mode.
And the other way around it is like talking to the President of the Official Jacinda Ardern fan club of NZ, president, who refuses to accept any criticism of the govt.
[insert picture of broken record, particularly a tedious one like Agadoo]
You are on the wrong social media site to meet your obvious needs.

Let me halp

https://www.facebook.com/JacindaArdernFanClub/
User avatar
Fat Old Git
Posts: 21335
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: A vacant lot next to a pile of rubble

Re: NZ Politics Thread - NEW ZEALAND ALERT LEVEL TWO THREAD

Post by Fat Old Git »

Another zero day. :)

Hands up whose been to the hairdresser today?
Wilderbeast
Posts: 6006
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: NZ Politics Thread - NEW ZEALAND ALERT LEVEL TWO THREAD

Post by Wilderbeast »

I don’t need to go to the hairdresser :((
User avatar
Dark
Posts: 6308
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 2:38 am
Location: NZ

Re: NZ Politics Thread - NEW ZEALAND ALERT LEVEL TWO THREAD

Post by Dark »

Fat Old Git wrote:Another zero day. :)

Hands up whose been to the hairdresser today?

The queue to the cheapy barbers in Johnsonville is out the door.

Pretty funny to watch
User avatar
sonic_attack
Posts: 4111
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Contact:

Re: NZ Politics Thread - NEW ZEALAND ALERT LEVEL TWO THREAD

Post by sonic_attack »

No way. Those guys are going to be slammed for at least a week. I have to call into PB Tech on the way home from picking up the Mrs for a new mouse for the computer, this one has decided the left click button is f**ked.
User avatar
Dark
Posts: 6308
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 2:38 am
Location: NZ

Re: NZ Politics Thread - NEW ZEALAND ALERT LEVEL TWO THREAD

Post by Dark »

Budget is out

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/politics ... boost.html

Pretty ugly to read, but not as bad as I thought.
The International Monetary Fund (IMF) expects global economic activity will decline on a scale not seen since the Great Depression in the 1930s, with global growth forecast to fall to -3 percent in 2020.

GDP is forecast to decline in New Zealand from 2.8 percent in June 2019 to -4.6 percent in June this year. Meanwhile unemployment is expected to rise to 8.3 percent by the end of June, peaking at 9.8 percent in September.

Net core Crown debt is expected to reach 53.6 percent of GDP after sitting comfortably below 20 percent before the crisis. With countries like the US starting on more than 90 percent, you can only imagine how high their debt could climb.
User avatar
Demilich
Posts: 3641
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: NZ Politics Thread - NEW ZEALAND ALERT LEVEL TWO THREAD

Post by Demilich »

Went to Mitre 10, Bunnings, The Warehouse, Farmlands and Farmsource this morning and was surprised how quiet they all were. Expected there would be people there at opening time, but the only place I saw more than one other customer was The Warehouse, and even there I didn't have any queue at the check out. :thumbup:
User avatar
Enzedder
Posts: 20223
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Re: NZ Politics Thread - NEW ZEALAND ALERT LEVEL TWO THREAD

Post by Enzedder »

Good to see that all but one store at my local mall reopened today. Hope that is a sign of things to come.

Budget underway and money is being spent big time so hopefully we can still spend locally.

Went passed a few barber shops while doing meals on wheels and they all had queues. I will wait till next week.
Last edited by Enzedder on Thu May 14, 2020 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Dark
Posts: 6308
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 2:38 am
Location: NZ

Re: NZ Politics Thread - NEW ZEALAND ALERT LEVEL TWO THREAD

Post by Dark »

Went to the Mall earlier which has a supermarket and pharmacy in it that were the only things open in it for the lockdown.

I thought a lot of the food places in the food area would have been forced to close, given they still probably had to pay the massive rents while making no money, but they have all opened up again, which is cool.
User avatar
Enzedder
Posts: 20223
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Re: NZ Politics Thread - NEW ZEALAND ALERT LEVEL TWO THREAD

Post by Enzedder »

Wow - from a $7.4bn surplus to a $28bn deficit. That was some expensive bat soup.
Tuivasa
Posts: 563
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:28 am

Re: NZ Politics Thread - NEW ZEALAND ALERT LEVEL TWO THREAD

Post by Tuivasa »

The wage subsidy extension is great but it's meant to be for the employees so why not just pay the employees 8 weeks -weekly, automatically. Way easier to control this way. Hearing of way too many employers taking the full-time amount but only paying part time. Also lots are making the employees work more for just the subsidy amount. Clear misuse.

Way easier to do it by paying employees -and even if some misuse it its gonna b less mass-misused than by giving it to employers. I'd also suggest most employers are s better off than most employees . People in a position to lose their business are almost always better off than people in a position to lose their jobs.
User avatar
Dark
Posts: 6308
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 2:38 am
Location: NZ

Re: NZ Politics Thread - NEW ZEALAND ALERT LEVEL TWO THREAD

Post by Dark »

Tuivasa wrote:The wage subsidy extension is great but it's meant to be for the employees so why not just pay the employees 8 weeks -weekly, automatically. Way easier to control this way. Hearing of way too many employers taking the full-time amount but only paying part time. Also lots are making the employees work more for just the subsidy amount. Clear misuse.

Way easier to do it by paying employees -and even if some misuse it its gonna b less mass-misused than by giving it to employers. I'd also suggest most employers are s better off than most employees . People in a position to lose their business are almost always better off than people in a position to lose their jobs.
:?

People who lose their businesses, by definition also lose their jobs.
User avatar
sonic_attack
Posts: 4111
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Contact:

Re: NZ Politics Thread - NEW ZEALAND ALERT LEVEL TWO THREAD

Post by sonic_attack »

Or just one single anteater looking mammal, or whatever it was. Tis kinda funny how the whole gig can unwind and fall apart on account of a chance encounter from a couple of animals.

I respect the simplicity and irony of it.
Sonny Blount
Posts: 4370
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: NZ Politics Thread - NEW ZEALAND ALERT LEVEL TWO THREAD

Post by Sonny Blount »

Tuivasa wrote: I'd also suggest most employers are s better off than most employees . People in a position to lose their business are almost always better off than people in a position to lose their jobs.
You really have no idea do you.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/better ... a-94k-hole



Although I agree with your sentiment of the stimulus following the person rather than the business. Because we are entering a period of volatility, business models are going to change a fair bit. We want to help business in general, rather than all the businesses that existed before the crisis.
User avatar
Gordon Bennett
Posts: 2289
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: NZ Politics Thread - NEW ZEALAND ALERT LEVEL THREE THREA

Post by Gordon Bennett »

Dark wrote:
Gordon Bennett wrote:
Dark wrote:
Kiwias wrote:
Dark wrote:
Sorry, but utter bollocks

Switching uber police powers from 2 years to 3 months and changing the funeral numbers, purely from media pressure and from the Nats and Seymour pressure is a flip flop in any ones book.

To twist it into a "pragmatic decision" is plain stupid.
It is like talking to douche when he was at peak Nonu-hate mode.
And the other way around it is like talking to the President of the Official Jacinda Ardern fan club of NZ, president, who refuses to accept any criticism of the govt.
[insert picture of broken record, particularly a tedious one like Agadoo]
You are on the wrong social media site to meet your obvious needs.

Let me halp

https://www.facebook.com/JacindaArdernFanClub/
You need a lot of 'halp' if you think I'm in the Jacinda Fan Club, but keep tilting at those windmills.

Good news for the Greens in this budget with the investment in 11,000 environment-related jobs. I suspect this is the stuff that wins the Green party votes - i.e. by looking like a Green party instead of a green/social justice party. Retraining to orientate with environmental investment is a sensible idea and might be just the thing they need to keep them above that 5% threshold.
User avatar
Gordon Bennett
Posts: 2289
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: NZ Politics Thread - NEW ZEALAND ALERT LEVEL TWO THREAD

Post by Gordon Bennett »

Enzedder wrote:Wow - from a $7.4bn surplus to a $28bn deficit. That was some expensive bat soup.
Stephen Joyce was just prescient. His fiscal hole was just the foresight of the advent of Coronavirus.
User avatar
vh5150
Posts: 1250
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: NZ Politics Thread - NEW ZEALAND ALERT LEVEL TWO THREAD

Post by vh5150 »

sonic_attack wrote:Or just one single anteater looking mammal, or whatever it was. Tis kinda funny how the whole gig can unwind and fall apart on account of a chance encounter from a couple of animals.

I respect the simplicity and irony of it.
... or so the “coincidence theorists” would have us believe.
User avatar
True Blue
Posts: 11969
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Austin, TX

Re: NZ Politics Thread - NEW ZEALAND ALERT LEVEL TWO THREAD

Post by True Blue »

Enzedder wrote:Wow - from a $7.4bn surplus to a $28bn deficit. That was some expensive bat soup.
And $29bn the following year. Leaking over $55bn in two years. That's some scary numbers. :uhoh:
User avatar
jdogscoop
Posts: 13744
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Melbourne

Re: NZ Politics Thread - NEW ZEALAND ALERT LEVEL TWO THREAD

Post by jdogscoop »

A huge, COVID-19, Labour, election year budget.
User avatar
Ted.
Posts: 17645
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: NZ Politics Thread - NEW ZEALAND ALERT LEVEL THREE THREA

Post by Ted. »

Dark wrote:
Kiwias wrote:
Ted. wrote:
Ghost-Of-Nepia wrote:
Kiwias wrote:
There was always going to be a significant component of flexibility in determining the details of govt measures and I'm glad this administration has shown an ability to finetune this way.
It speaks to the relatively untidy lawmaking that there was a 23-page SOP (Supplementary Order Paper) tabled yesterday correcting errors (or in some cases, accepting feedback from the Opposition) from the bill introduced only the day before.
There are always going to be drafting mistakes in or untended consequences to rushed legislation. The important thing is that those errors are corrected as they are discovered, rather than swept under the carpet to keep things tidy.
Making corrections as flaws are discovered is not a sign of weakness, nor does it constitute a flip flop.
Sorry, but utter bollocks

Switching uber police powers from 2 years to 3 months and changing the funeral numbers, purely from media pressure and from the Nats and Seymour pressure is a flip flop in any ones book.

To twist it into a "pragmatic decision" is plain stupid.
This stuff is generally not simple or easy. Just about every bill and act ever enacted is amended in some way, you simpering twerp.

Yeah, I am playing the man, but there is nothing else in the cupboard to play. So apologies to the sensitive souls who would want to come to Dark's aid, sponsor a lobotomy would be my suggestion.
Post Reply