NZ Politics Thread

All things Rugby
Wilderbeast

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by Wilderbeast »

deadduck wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:It’s not clear cut

https://www.politicalcompass.org/nz2017

That list is clearly a load of crap as they've put the most liberal NZ party as the most authoritarian
I know, quite a bullshit call on ACT but there’s enough substance to make my point. NZ First is more willing to interrvene In the market than the major parties and that’s a left wing thing to do.

I also find it rich how labour is right wing and national is even more right. Who is their basis for centre? I think they have this perspective that most western nations apply right wing thinking but I’m not sure everyone agrees with that.
Brabus

Post by Brabus »

Auckman wrote:I can't see National living with a NZF demand for the immigration portfolio and immigration to be at 15k a year. For the first time, he has made his anti-immigration stances a bottom line.
Winston and bottom lines :lol:
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

Brabus wrote:
Auckman wrote:I can't see National living with a NZF demand for the immigration portfolio and immigration to be at 15k a year. For the first time, he has made his anti-immigration stances a bottom line.
It won't matter. I reckon he's a goner.

I see Dark is too. What did he do?

Last edited by Enzedder on Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deadduck

Post by deadduck »

Wilderbeast wrote:
deadduck wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:It’s not clear cut

https://www.politicalcompass.org/nz2017

That list is clearly a load of crap as they've put the most liberal NZ party as the most authoritarian
I know, quite a bullshit call on ACT but there’s enough substance to make my point. NZ First is more willing to interrvene In the market than the major parties and that’s a left wing thing to do.

I also find it rich how labour is right wing and national is even more right. Who is their basis for centre? I think they have this perspective that most western nations apply right wing thinking but I’m not sure everyone agrees with that.
I just did their test again and ended up basically dead centre economically. As a product of a neoliberal upbringing why would my values be in such contrast to their model for neoliberal parties? The test is shit.
Brabus

Post by Brabus »

Enzedder wrote:
Brabus wrote:
It won't matter. I reckon he's a goner.

Here's hoping. The only thing you need to do to get Winnie to see past his bottom lie is to hang some nice shiny baubles beneath it
Monkey Magic

Post by Monkey Magic »

Could end up in the situation where all the minor parties rely on getting and electorate seat as they all dip under 5%.

ACT get Epsom, NZF hope for Northland, and Kay leaving Auckland central gives Swarbrick a chance for the greens.

If ACT is the only one who gets in, does that mean labour are in by themselves as long as they beat National by more than what ACT get e.g. labour get 43% national 38% act 3%, labour get in, but if labour get 42, nats 40 and act 2.5, National would end up in?
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/?v= ... o_explicit

Ashley Bloomfield playing openside flank for the Centurions against the parliamentary team. Ex-all blacks / SR players all over the field.
Kahu

Post by Kahu »

Swarbrick has no chance of winning her electorate :lol:
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

Kahu wrote:Swarbrick has no chance of winning her electorate :lol:
Not under the current system. She could under STV. The left vote gets split.
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

Wilderbeast wrote:
Greens have a better chance in Nelson where they got 23% of the vote last election.
Monkey Magic

Post by Monkey Magic »

Wilderbeast wrote:
If thats the case greens could be well and truly in the crap, my main point was that all the minor parties are seemingly in a very precarious position, with only ACT definitely there post election.
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

Monkey Magic wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:
If thats the case greens could be well and truly in the crap, my main point was that all the minor parties are seemingly in a very precarious position, with only ACT definitely there post election.

Greens never feature in opinion polls but they get a lot of specials from overseas based voters. I think they ended up about 2.5% above their latest poll in 2017 (memory may be buggered but I know the specials costs the nats a seat)
Monkey Magic

Post by Monkey Magic »

Enzedder wrote:
Monkey Magic wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:

Greens never feature in opinion polls but they get a lot of specials from overseas based voters. I think they ended up about 2.5% above their latest poll in 2017 (memory may be buggered but I know the specials costs the nats a seat)
Interestingly I think the last Colmar one had greens up about 2-3 compared with what they achieved and the reverse for nzf. Reid I think had it the other way around

Edit: found this - News Hub had nzf almost bang on and both over estimated national and the greens just prior to last election.

Can't copy the image but link is
https://www.researchassociation.org.nz/ ... al-polling
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

That's right - it was all over the place, but they dropped a lot to Ardern in the last few weeks
Kahu

Post by Kahu »

Monkey Magic wrote: If thats the case greens could be well and truly in the crap, my main point was that all the minor parties are seemingly in a very precarious position, with only ACT definitely there post election.
I wouldn't like to see STV but I would like the 5% threshold lowered
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

Kahu wrote:
Monkey Magic wrote: If thats the case greens could be well and truly in the crap, my main point was that all the minor parties are seemingly in a very precarious position, with only ACT definitely there post election.
I wouldn't like to see STV but I would like the 5% threshold lowered
Your NZPP might be in with a shout if the threshold was dropped to 0.01%. :thumbup:
kiweez

Post by kiweez »

Auckman wrote:https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/?v= ... o_explicit

Ashley Bloomfield playing openside flank for the Centurions against the parliamentary team. Ex-all blacks / SR players all over the field.
I’ve gotten home after playing in the game for the PRT. Great occasion, and a massive crowd there to support the game.

My first hit-up I was smashed by Rodney So’oialo.
My first tackle was on Thomas Waldrom.

My head only needed gluing, not stitches, so that’s good. Thanks Hutt Hospital A&E :thumbup:
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

kiweez wrote:

I’ve gotten home after playing in the game for the PRT. Great occasion, and a massive crowd there to support the game.

My head only needed gluing, not stitches, so that’s good. Thanks Hutt Hospital A&E :thumbup:
:o Good stuff fella. Yes it was a very big crowd for such a game.
kiweez

Post by kiweez »

Auckman wrote:
kiweez wrote:

With the man himself!
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Great stuff kiweez. :smug: :thumbup:

Must say I was surprised when Bloomfield was named at openside flanker. With his physique I thought he'd be a fullback or winger.

How hard are the hits in a game like that?
Monkey Magic

Post by Monkey Magic »

kiweez wrote:
Auckman wrote:
kiweez wrote:

With the man himself!
That is awesome, and as Bloomfield said on the news, fantastic to take stock that we are in a bloody privileged position to be doing it.

More importantly did you buy him a beer?
terangi48

Post by terangi48 »

Onya guys.....nice pic. Keep up the good work Ash......and stay away from the politicians.
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

Top stuff Kiweez. Legendary.
Dark

Post by Dark »

Enzedder wrote:
Monkey Magic wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:

True that, I think.
BlueThunder

Post by BlueThunder »

The Greens usually poll higher than their results. A good chunk of those that say they will vote Green in a poll don't actually bother voting.

What you are thinking of is usually the Green's election day results improve once the special (overseas) votes are counted. Although I don't think they had much of an increase last time round.
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

The greens are apparently spouting “tax is love”

Comms disaster.
Gordon Bennett

Post by Gordon Bennett »

I see Jami Lee-Ross is teaming up with NZPP. The best political pairing since Hone & Kim Dotcom.
JB1981

Post by JB1981 »

BlueThunder wrote:The Greens usually poll higher than their results. A good chunk of those that say they will vote Green in a poll don't actually bother voting.

What you are thinking of is usually the Green's election day results improve once the special (overseas) votes are counted. Although I don't think they had much of an increase last time round.
Correct, the Greens will be very nervous if their past trend of worse Election Day results than polling suggested continues. Their survival could come down to winning a seat. A quick Google shows:
Over the seven elections they have contested, they have on average done 1.3% worse than the polls. By company it is:

Colmar Brunton 0.8%
Horizon 1.5%
Reid Research 2.3%
Roy Morgan 2.9%
And by year it is:

1999: 0.8%
2002: 1.7%
2005: 0.7%
2008: 1.7%
2011: 1.1%
2014: 1.9%
2017: 1.1%
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

kiweez wrote:

We should have a rugby game between posters on PR. Dark and Muttonbird get to get captain each side and play 'pick up' to select their players. Half the players won't listen to the captains on the field, as they have those two on ignore anyway.
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

They’d both make good halfbacks
JB1981

Post by JB1981 »

:o Would Dark and Muttonbird finish arguing over who had won the toss for long enough for the game to start?

Would they take the field if named on the ‘wrong’ wing?
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

kiweez wrote:
Auckman wrote:
kiweez wrote:

With the man himself!

Good stuff mate. :thumbup:
Dark

Post by Dark »

Last edited by Dark on Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dark

Post by Dark »

Gordon Bennett wrote:I see Jami Lee-Ross is teaming up with NZPP. The best political pairing since Hone & Kim Dotcom.

:lol: :lol:
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

booji boy wrote:Great stuff kiweez. :smug: :thumbup:

Must say I was surprised when Bloomfield was named at openside flanker. With his physique I thought he'd be a fullback or winger.

How hard are the hits in a game like that?
I read somewhere he was a winger in the Scots College First XV
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

kiweez wrote: With the man himself!
Respect, m8!!
True Blue

Post by True Blue »

NZ kicking butt :thumbup: Seems so weird to see a room of people with no masks. Texas is f**ked, it's riddled with the 'rona. I know NZ had geographical advantages but it's still a bloody impressive feat
deadduck

Post by deadduck »

Let's not pat ourselves on the back too hard when we've done the equivalent of climbing the stairs and other countries are climbing Everest
Dark

Post by Dark »

deadduck wrote:Let's not pat ourselves on the back too hard when we've done the equivalent of climbing the stairs and other countries are climbing Everest

Was thinking the same thing.

It only takes a couple of people to screw it and the comparing ourselves to other countries thing is beginning to get a bit of a pompous ego boost, needy thing.
Harveys

Post by Harveys »

Dark wrote:
deadduck wrote:Let's not pat ourselves on the back too hard when we've done the equivalent of climbing the stairs and other countries are climbing Everest

Was thinking the same thing.

It only takes a couple of people to screw it and the comparing ourselves to other countries thing is beginning to get a bit of a pompous ego boost, needy thing.
:roll: