kiweez

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by kiweez »

Monkey Magic wrote:
kiweez wrote:
Auckman wrote:
kiweez wrote:
Auckman wrote:https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/?v= ... o_explicit

Ashley Bloomfield playing openside flank for the Centurions against the parliamentary team. Ex-all blacks / SR players all over the field.
I’ve gotten home after playing in the game for the PRT. Great occasion, and a massive crowd there to support the game.

My first hit-up I was smashed by Rodney So’oialo.
My first tackle was on Thomas Waldrom.

My head only needed gluing, not stitches, so that’s good. Thanks Hutt Hospital A&E :thumbup:
:o Good stuff fella. Yes it was a very big crowd for such a game.
With the man himself!
That is awesome, and as Bloomfield said on the news, fantastic to take stock that we are in a bloody privileged position to be doing it.

More importantly did you buy him a beer?
Would be fair to say I don’t think he had to dip into his pocket that night. He never turned down a request for an autograph, a selfie or even a chat. Lots of kids there to see him. Full respect to the Wainuiomata club for putting on a great day, and to Ken for stacking - err - organising such a wonderful opposition.

To answer a previous question, there were some pretty keen hits, but at the end of the day, everyone wanted to go to work on Monday. There were odd spots where there was a sudden “lift” in intensity, but thankfully those were far enough apart to recover.

Some of those old boys are in pretty bloody good Knick!

Tell you what, a common theme to some of the chats were about looking around the crowd and saying “how lucky are we?”

Also happy to report that this is a politics-free zone. The MPs really do mix in well, and it’s a superb example of using rugby as a way of bringing people together, and for good causes. The after match auction and fund raiser raised heaps for local youth rugby.
Dark

Post by Dark »

Harveys wrote:
Dark wrote:
deadduck wrote:Let's not pat ourselves on the back too hard when we've done the equivalent of climbing the stairs and other countries are climbing Everest

Was thinking the same thing.

It only takes a couple of people to screw it and the comparing ourselves to other countries thing is beginning to get a bit of a pompous ego boost, needy thing.
:roll:
I have 2 brothers and 2 sisters living in Melbourne.

I don't particularly care if you think my post was exaggerated, as I talk to them about how it is going.
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

deadduck wrote:Let's not pat ourselves on the back too hard when we've done the equivalent of climbing the stairs and other countries are climbing Everest
Killing the economy by shutting down the country for 4 weeks is climbing the stairs? Ok...
Dark

Post by Dark »

Wilderbeast wrote:
Killing the economy by shutting down the country for 4 weeks is climbing the stairs? Ok...
Tbf it is compared to what other countries are going through.
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

Gordon Bennett wrote:I see Jami Lee-Ross is teaming up with NZPP. The best political pairing since Hone & Kim Dotcom.
Two parties I had never heard of joining forces to crush the big parties at the election.

Or they would if not for the dastardly conspiracies keeping them from their destiny....
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

Dark wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:
Well yeah because we killed it didn’t we? We went nuclear the moment community transmission became likely. So yes, it looks easy because the right actions were taken at the right time.

Seriously, we have responded better than anyone in the world. No one can argue this. Why are some people so intent on demeaning our effort? Do you make excuses for the opposing team when the all blacks win?
Kahu

Post by Kahu »

Newshub-Reid Research Poll: The destruction of National under Judith Collins as party sinks to 25 percent
Tova O'Brien

Jacinda Ardern, New Zealand First leader Winston Peters, and ACT
The National Party is in full blown self-destruct mode and Judith Collins has failed to steady the ship - in fact, she's sinking it to its lowest, darkest depths yet in for our latest Newshub-Reid Research Poll.

These numbers are going to shift the election into hyper drive.

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern celebrated her 40th birthday on Sunday, but 40 is not the number she'll be focussed on - our poll has Labour on 60.9 percent up 4.4 points, the highest it's ever been in our polling history.

From birthday bash to pity party, over in National there will be tears. The party gets just 25.1 percent, down 5.5 points. They used to think the 30s were bad.

The Greens are holding on by a whisker at 5.7 percent up 0.2 points - they'll just be happy they're over the 5 percent threshold to get into Parliament.

There is no such luck for Winston Peters - he's still bleeding votes on 2 percent down 0.7 points. It's New Zealand First's lowest result in a decade.

Adding insult to injury - following their all-out brawl - ACT has overtaken New Zealand First for the first time in our poll. ACT leader David Seymour has knocked Peters out of third place on 3.3 percent, up 1.5 points.

As for the minor parties, no one is even cracking 1 percent.

Converting those numbers to seats in Parliament, Labour gets 77, while National gets just 32, so at least 23 National MPs will lose their jobs. That's if there are any left come September 19.

The Greens get seven seats. If ACT wins Epsom, Seymour quadruples his party to four.

Ardern looks untouchable, thanks in large part to National's dysfunction and disarray. Voters have sent a categorical and crystal clear edict: if you can't even govern yourselves there's no way in hell we'll let you govern the country.

Our last poll was the death knell for Simon Bridges - it the reason he was rolled. This poll is far worse for National and Judith Collins.

The latest Newshub-Reid Research Poll was conducted between 16-24 July 2020. One thousand people were surveyed, 700 by telephone including both landlines and mobiles and 300 by internet panel. It has a margin of error of 3.1 percent.

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/politics ... rcent.html
Harveys

Post by Harveys »

Dark wrote:
Harveys wrote:
Dark wrote:

It only takes a couple of people to screw it and the comparing ourselves to other countries thing is beginning to get a bit of a pompous ego boost, needy thing.

I don't particularly care if you think my post was exaggerated, as I talk to them about how it is going.
Wasn’t directed at you personally mate so chill out, our kiwi brothers & sisters (some more than others) possibly have a tendency to perhaps lose a bit of perspective when patting themselves on the back from time to time is all.
Dark

Post by Dark »

Harveys wrote:
Dark wrote:
Harveys wrote:
Dark wrote:

Wasn’t directed at you personally mate so chill out, our kiwi brothers & sisters (some more than others) possibly have a tendency to perhaps lose a bit of perspective when patting themselves on the back from time to time is all.
:thumbup:
Harveys

Post by Harveys »

Wilderbeast wrote:
Dark wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:
Well yeah because we killed it didn’t we? We went nuclear the moment community transmission became likely. So yes, it looks easy because the right actions were taken at the right time.

Seriously, we have responded better than anyone in the world. No one can argue this. Why are some people so intent on demeaning our effort? Do you make excuses for the opposing team when the all blacks win?
:lol: WOW
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

:|

Go on Harvey, what’s your issue?
Harveys

Post by Harveys »

No real issue with it other than it appears to lack any humility and appreciation that the population size and geographical location of NZ place it at an advantage unavailable to most of the rest of the world.

Not trying to take anything away from NZs efforts & the leadership that got it there, well done, but bragging and acting like you just won the Corona word cup smacks of short sited arrogance.
Bayern

Post by Bayern »

Wilderbeast wrote:
Dark wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:

Oh Ja, way better than say Vietnam as one example but then they only have 4 porous borders and a paltry 100mil people. The back-slapping is hilarious...
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

I don’t recall bragging or acting like we won the corona World Cup. But I do get quite pissed off when certain NZ citizens try to play down what we have achieved. NZ still has high density in its cities. We are isolated as an island nation but the virus still made it to our shores and took hold. Sea borders mean nothing when the virus is already here.
Kahu

Post by Kahu »

Im skeptical on the rates of testing in NZ but from what I gather from friends and family the buy in from the public regarding self isolation, hand sanitising, masks and social distancing was tremendous.

I'm glad I wasn't home for it though cos this virus is one big scam.
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

Downplaying NZ's Covid-19 response is a potentially dangerous thing to do. We want a population that has confidence in the science behind the response and who accept it was successful and not just luck. This will be important for if / when we get a second wave.

It's not about being smug and thinking we've won the Covid-19 cup.
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

Wilderbeast wrote:I don’t recall bragging or acting like we won the corona World Cup. But I do get quite pissed off when certain NZ citizens try to play down what we have achieved. NZ still has high density in its cities. We are isolated as an island nation but the virus still made it to our shores and took hold. Sea borders mean nothing when the virus is already here.

National went over to Oz to see how ScoMo conned the voters there with use of social media.

Their supporters are trying the same thing here.
Gordon Bennett

Post by Gordon Bennett »

That poll result is interesting. When was it taken [in the news cycle]? ["It only took in a couple of days of Labour’s own turmoil, as it dealt with the sacking of Iain Lees-Galloway."]

I did wonder whether Judith would see National lose some of the soft-blue vote in some of the urban National seats, but that's still quite surprising.

I don't think Labour getting in on their own is necessarily a good thing. They're reasonably centrist, but any coalition partner can pull the handbrake on anything particularly egregious.

I'm interested in the this article (https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/300066 ... ydro-power). It sounds good, but does anyone know if the technology mooted is mainstream? Pretty sure I've read about this technology before, but can't recall whether it was breakthrough tech or tried & tested.
Last edited by Gordon Bennett on Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
sonic_attack

Post by sonic_attack »

I'm impressed we haven't had someone contract covid within the managed quarantine. I'm assuming we would have been told so. Either health workers, hotel staff, security, or other punters in quarantine.
Dark

Post by Dark »

Fat Old Git wrote:Downplaying NZ's Covid-19 response is a potentially dangerous thing to do. We want a population that has confidence in the science behind the response and who accept it was successful and not just luck. This will be important for if / when we get a second wave.

It's not about being smug and thinking we've won the Covid-19 cup.
Sorry FOG. It is me being thick, but I don't actually get the way you are looking at it.

Downplaying the "We are great. Lets high five!" is bad, or "It's gone great but this shit could still get real so don't be idiot gloaters"
Gordon Bennett

Post by Gordon Bennett »

If there's anything more tedious than the gloating about our covid response, its those who take any positive comment whatsoever as 'gloating'.
Dark

Post by Dark »

Gordon Bennett wrote:If there's anything more tedious than the gloating about our covid response, its those who take any positive comment whatsoever as 'gloating'.
Any?

Ok
Santa

Post by Santa »

Labour as sole governing power would be quite funny to see.
Santa

Post by Santa »

Dark wrote:
Gordon Bennett wrote:If there's anything more tedious than the gloating about our covid response, its those who take any positive comment whatsoever as 'gloating'.
Any?

Ok
The backslapping is quite amusing. There is no acknowledgement of the numerous advantages that NZ has and it's all down to Jacinda's genius. Hopefully she the the Nobel for it.
Wignu

Post by Wignu »

Santa wrote:Labour as sole governing power would be quite funny to see.
But National by themselves would be fine?
brat

Post by brat »

Wilderbeast wrote:
Dark wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:

:lol:

Where do people get this shit from - better than anyone in the world :lol:

Imagine if Nz had bumbled the way they did initially and they were in Taiwan’s position - we would’ve been toast

Yes we did well but we had massive advantages that other countries didn’t..we certainly didn’t ‘respond better than anyone else in the world’ - that’s an embarrassing statement
Santa

Post by Santa »

Wignu wrote:
Please quote where I said that.

This is a tactic that happens quite a lot on here. Juat because I say one thing does not mean that I automatically believe of disbelieve that alternative.
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

I wonder if this is true?
Re: the family who escaped managed isolation in Hamilton. They were encouraged by the anti-govt/public health views of NZ Public Party's Billy Te Kahika. He mentioned they contacted him in one of his Fb videos before they did it.
Santa

Post by Santa »

brat wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:
Dark wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:

Imagine if Nz had bumbled the way they did initially and they were in Taiwan’s position - we would’ve been toast

Yes we did well but we had massive advantages that other countries didn’t..we certainly didn’t ‘respond better than anyone else in the world’ - that’s an embarrassing statement
The reality is NZ did broadly the same as most places but it was more effective due to the natural advantages. The question still is could the same reault have been achieved through less economy busting means.
Wignu

Post by Wignu »

Santa wrote:
Wignu wrote:
Please quote where I said that.

This is a tactic that happens quite a lot on here. Juat because I say one thing does not mean that I automatically believe of disbelieve that alternative.
Never said you did but we've all read your other posts, and don't bother with that I'm neutral shit no one believes it.
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

They'll keep the Greens on board even if not needed.
Santa

Post by Santa »

Enzedder wrote:
Wow.
Dark

Post by Dark »

Enzedder wrote:

Bet they don't

20 bucks
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

Overall, NZ has done really well when it's come to the COVID-19 response (so far). It hasn't been perfect, but the response has been as decisive and well timed as it can be in an environment of great uncertainty and unpredictability. Anyone who thinks we're "the greatest of all timess!" is overstating the response, and anyone who underplays NZ's response is lacking logic and reason.
Wignu

Post by Wignu »

Tehui wrote:Overall, NZ has done really well when it's come to the COVID-19 response (so far). It hasn't been perfect, but the response has been as decisive and well timed as it can be in an environment of great uncertainty and unpredictability. Anyone who thinks we're "the greatest of all timess!" is overstating the response, and anyone who underplays NZ's response is lacking logic and reason.
This +1, we've done well, and we do have advantages compared to other countries, but to say we're the best ever hmmmmm and we have to keep it up as well.
Kahu

Post by Kahu »

Dark wrote:
Enzedder wrote:
Bet they don't

20 bucks
So you think Labour will get over 50%?
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

On another note, I'm surprised by National's dip in the latest poll. I don't know how much credibility one can attach to that poll, or what the caveats are to the data, but nonetheless I still expect National's popularity to rise between now and the election.
Santa

Post by Santa »

Kahu wrote:
Dark wrote:
Enzedder wrote:
Bet they don't

20 bucks
So you think Labour will get over 50%?
I'm on the fence on this. On one hand I think it unlikely but on the other hand I think enough NZers are soft headed and empathetic enough to do it. It would be a laugh.
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

For the second year running, JA is among the favourites for a Nobel Prize.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/life ... eace-prize
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

brat wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:
Dark wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:

What bumbling?

And what countries responded better? We are covid free. I actually agree that a lot of people get ott on how good we are but I also feel a lot of people try too hard to minimise the achievement.