NZ Politics Thread

All things Rugby
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by Enzedder »

obelixtim wrote:
JB1981 wrote:Helen Clark has suggested the borders could re-open if we addressed the quarantine choke point and has suggested privatisation could help (strange times).

https://i.stuff.co.nz/business/industri ... clark-says

She also understandably feels that the Government may not want to make the call with an election around the corner.
“I was in politics a long time, I understand playing it safe in election year, but we now need to see the medium and the longer term strategies.”

“We are going be living and managing around this virus for the foreseeable future. Maybe it will be endemic.”
Aunty Helen and Jong Kee could be the first testers of the new euthanasia rules. They've had their time, both need to stfu.

Oh God - can you imagine Serco managing the quarantiners? The current contractors are being caught sleeping on the job so God knows what that shower would do. (I have an innate fear of relying on the lowest bidder in these matters - except perhaps the space programme ones.)

The problem is the people who don't want to apply by the rules and when they come up against an underpaid contractor, cock-ups will happen.

Perhaps a 5 star outfit for the well healed (who are not going to abscond anyway) who pay all of their own costs
obelixtim

Post by obelixtim »

Dark wrote:
obelixtim wrote:
JB1981 wrote:Helen Clark has suggested the borders could re-open if we addressed the quarantine choke point and has suggested privatisation could help (strange times).

She also understandably feels that the Government may not want to make the call with an election around the corner.
“I was in politics a long time, I understand playing it safe in election year, but we now need to see the medium and the longer term strategies.”

“We are going be living and managing around this virus for the foreseeable future. Maybe it will be endemic.”
Aunty Helen and Jong Kee could be the first testers of the new euthanasia rules. They've had their time, both need to stfu.
I have seen some immature 12ish year old posts in my time, but this is impressive.

You do realise one of the first things Ardern will do after being re-elected is opening boarders?
Its BORDERS you twat. And no she won't.
Santa

Post by Santa »

Enzedder wrote:
obelixtim wrote:

Oh God - can you imagine Serco managing the quarantiners? The current contractors are being caught sleeping on the job so God knows what that shower would do. (I have an innate fear of relying on the lowest bidder in these matters - except perhaps the space programme ones.)

The problem is the people who don't want to apply by the rules and when they come up against an underpaid contractor, cock-ups will happen.

Perhaps a 5 star outfit for the well healed (who are not going to abscond anyway) who pay all of their own costs
You have been told by several posters to shut up. You may not express an opinion on these things, or at least not the wrong opinion.
naki111

Post by naki111 »

Dark wrote:
Kahu wrote:Maybe you could try answering your own question Dark. My guess is the enormous cost to the taxpayer and effort of introducing fluoridation makes it a dead duck to a party already perceived as being 'generous'.

As for JuCo although I intend to vote for her, the inability to count in te reo was the equivalent of looking a gift horse in the mouth. I doubt it will affect her standing with her entrenched base but it was one of those little things that would have improved her standing to desperately needed votes and she blew it.

Haven't actually seen the indepth thing on it, but if I was her I would have said who cares and why nit ask some actual questions to get the country out of the shit.

This whole gotya shit shit is getting tedious from our main stream media

Yhought the same with Ardern and GPD and not knowing the treaty of Waitangi (admittedly I was taking the piss with the Treaty ignorance thing)
It's one of our three official languages. It's poor that she can't count to ten and equally Ardern should be embarrassed she can't confidently do so as well. It isn't a dealbreaker, but it does show a disconnect with a not insignificant part of the New Zealand electorate and is pretty embarrassing in 2020 that she can't do this. Moreover, politics ain't about facts, its about perception, and as Kahu mentioned previously, JuCo (is that what the kids are calling her these days?) kinda blew this one a wee bit.
deadduck

Post by deadduck »

naki111 wrote:
Dark wrote:
Kahu wrote:Maybe you could try answering your own question Dark. My guess is the enormous cost to the taxpayer and effort of introducing fluoridation makes it a dead duck to a party already perceived as being 'generous'.

As for JuCo although I intend to vote for her, the inability to count in te reo was the equivalent of looking a gift horse in the mouth. I doubt it will affect her standing with her entrenched base but it was one of those little things that would have improved her standing to desperately needed votes and she blew it.

Haven't actually seen the indepth thing on it, but if I was her I would have said who cares and why nit ask some actual questions to get the country out of the shit.

This whole gotya shit shit is getting tedious from our main stream media

Yhought the same with Ardern and GPD and not knowing the treaty of Waitangi (admittedly I was taking the piss with the Treaty ignorance thing)
It's one of our three official languages. It's poor that she can't count to ten and equally Ardern should be embarrassed she can't confidently do so as well. It isn't a dealbreaker, but it does show a disconnect with a not insignificant part of the New Zealand electorate and is pretty embarrassing in 2020 that she can't do this. Moreover, politics ain't about facts, its about perception, and as Kahu mentioned previously, JuCo (is that what the kids are calling her these days?) kinda blew this one a wee bit.

You only think that way because you and most other people of your generation grew up watching You and Me with Suzy Cato and take for granted the substantial increase in Maori language exposure that occurred in the 80s and 90s compared to the decades prior. Maori has only been an official language since 1987.
naki111

Post by naki111 »

:roll: Stay classy champ
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

I used to be able be able to count to more than 10 in Maori, and a number of other languages including french and swahili. But I never really use them so I'm lucky if I can get past 4 now.

Used to be able to read arabic numbers as well, as that was very useful in various markets and shops in the middle east where the price was marked using them. Have forgotten most of those too as i haven't needed to use them in ages.
Gordon Bennett

Post by Gordon Bennett »

Took part in a morning training session just on how to pronounce Te Reo the other week. The presenter was fantastic and made the workshop compelling and I learnt a lot. Highly recommended to do something as simple as that. Work paid for it, but I don't think it cost much anyway.

We didn't cover the numbers though... but I think I can just about remember 1-10.
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

Tekau ma tahi is eleven. Tekau ma rua is twelve etc. it’s simple once you know the rules.

There’s a big push in the public sector to strengthen all this so I’ll be on a course soon I’d say.
Harvey2.0

Post by Harvey2.0 »

All those hours watching Olly Olsen weren’t wasted , I can still count in te reo .
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Gordon Bennett wrote:Best solution to me is not to give kids fizzy drinks. My daughter only really drinks milk and water (her choice!) No teeth issues.
I've never had a filling ... grew up with fluoride in the water.

Does lactose (which i think is the sugar in milk) not cause decay like other sugars? Or is there not enough in milk for it to be an issue? Or am I talking out of my arse and it's not a sugar at all?
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

UncleFB wrote:
Gordon Bennett wrote:Best solution to me is not to give kids fizzy drinks. My daughter only really drinks milk and water (her choice!) No teeth issues.
I've never had a filling ... grew up with fluoride in the water.

Does lactose (which i think is the sugar in milk) not cause decay like other sugars? Or is there not enough in milk for it to be an issue? Or am I talking out of my arse and it's not a sugar at all?
Unprocessed, I don't think lactose is as accessible as some of the other sugars commonly used in food and drinks, such as sucrose and fructose.
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

Government planning on at least 24 months of closed borders and quarantine.
The Government is hiring communications staff for two-year contracts with the managed isolation and quarantine team, suggesting it believes borders could be shut for a long while.

The job postings for the Ministry of Business Innovation and Employment’s managed isolation team were posted in recent days and describe a two-year fixed term position.

The team will handle the running of the Government’s sprawling border hotel regime, which house all people coming into the country for 14 days.
On top of a poll out today that said 68% of Kiwi's polled want the borders to stay shut.
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

Wilderbeast wrote:Tekau ma tahi is eleven. Tekau ma rua is twelve etc. it’s simple once you know the rules.

There’s a big push in the public sector to strengthen all this so I’ll be on a course soon I’d say.
Same rules as other PI languages:

(Samoan)
Sefulu ma le tasi (11)
Sefulu ma le lua (12)
Sefulu ma le tolu (13)
Sefulu ma le fa (14)
Sefulu ma le lima (15)

etc etc
Flockwitt

Post by Flockwitt »

JPNZ wrote:Government planning on at least 24 months of closed borders and quarantine.
The Government is hiring communications staff for two-year contracts with the managed isolation and quarantine team, suggesting it believes borders could be shut for a long while.

The job postings for the Ministry of Business Innovation and Employment’s managed isolation team were posted in recent days and describe a two-year fixed term position.

The team will handle the running of the Government’s sprawling border hotel regime, which house all people coming into the country for 14 days.
On top of a poll out today that said 68% of Kiwi's polled want the borders to stay shut.
Yeah. We are in this for the long term. Still not entirely happy with the border payment thing. There are a lot of people who are justifiably wanting to travel going forward. Our company still bans overseas business trips and we are export based. If businesses are sending people overseas it’s for good reason. There are an enormous number of first and second generation kiwis with relatives overseas. The relative numbers of non tax payers returning or holiday junkets are only going to get less which is all admin burden sorting it out...
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

Flockwitt wrote:
JPNZ wrote:Government planning on at least 24 months of closed borders and quarantine.

Yeah. We are in this for the long term. Still not entirely happy with the border payment thing. There are a lot of people who are justifiably wanting to travel going forward. Our company still bans overseas business trips and we are export based. If businesses are sending people overseas it’s for good reason. There are an enormous number of first and second generation kiwis with relatives overseas. The relative numbers of non tax payers returning or holiday junkets are only going to get less which is all admin burden sorting it out...
I can imagine there will be a flow of kiwis returning home for some time yet though. Those working overseas who were advised to hunker down in place and who may still be employed at the moment, but don't have access to the safety net (benefits etc) of the country they are in.
Kahu

Post by Kahu »

Ted. wrote:

You're a South Auckland boy, Kahu?
South Taranaki, Harete Hipango is our local MP for Whanganui and I'll be giving 2 ticks blue. Last election I split my vote between Labour and Hipango which I would have most likely repeated had Bridges or Muller remained leader.
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

Flockwitt wrote: Yeah. We are in this for the long term. Still not entirely happy with the border payment thing. There are a lot of people who are justifiably wanting to travel going forward. Our company still bans overseas business trips and we are export based. If businesses are sending people overseas it’s for good reason. There are an enormous number of first and second generation kiwis with relatives overseas. The relative numbers of non tax payers returning or holiday junkets are only going to get less which is all admin burden sorting it out...
Here in town, Christchurch's 6th full hotel has been taken over for quarantine travelers. The 204 room crowne plaza will be used for returning travelers from this weekend. I'd love to know how many people are currently in quarantine NZ wide.
Dark

Post by Dark »

JPNZ wrote:
Flockwitt wrote: Yeah. We are in this for the long term. Still not entirely happy with the border payment thing. There are a lot of people who are justifiably wanting to travel going forward. Our company still bans overseas business trips and we are export based. If businesses are sending people overseas it’s for good reason. There are an enormous number of first and second generation kiwis with relatives overseas. The relative numbers of non tax payers returning or holiday junkets are only going to get less which is all admin burden sorting it out...
Here in town, Christchurch's 6th full hotel has been taken over for quarantine travelers. The 204 room crowne plaza will be used for returning travelers from this weekend. I'd love to know how many people are currently in quarantine NZ wide.

Menu looks pretty good

https://christchurch.crowneplaza.com/wp ... e-2020.pdf

At least my tax dollars aren't being spent on shitty food for someone for free
Flockwitt

Post by Flockwitt »

Dark wrote:
JPNZ wrote:

Menu looks pretty good

At least those dollars are keeping businesses afloat, people employed and local produce being consumed.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Dark wrote:
JPNZ wrote:

Menu looks pretty good

I didn't think quarantine hotels ran the same menus as normal hotel operations?
Flockwitt

Post by Flockwitt »

Watties spaghetti and sausages on white bread toast. For 14 days. Like it or leave. That’ll sort the border out. :lol:
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

UncleFB wrote:
Dark wrote:
My bosses daughter has returned to New Zealand from Melbourne last week. She is staying in the Pullman in Auckland which is 5 star, she has said not only is the accommodation 1st class but they have room service and full run of the 5 star menu. She said she would gladly do 4 weeks there its so nice

Good reason enough for people to start paying for it imho
Dark

Post by Dark »

I would love for the govt to be a bit more "The most open and transparent everss....promise" and release what the have negotiated in the way of bulk discount for all these plush hotels and restaurants.

But they won't

TBF given this lot they probably didn't actually negotiate one.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Flockwitt wrote:Watties spaghetti and sausages on white bread toast. For 14 days. Like it or leave. That’ll sort the border out. :lol:
For some that would probably be culinary heaven. :lol:
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

booji boy wrote:
Flockwitt wrote:Watties spaghetti and sausages on white bread toast. For 14 days. Like it or leave. That’ll sort the border out. :lol:
For some that would probably be culinary heaven. :lol:
I'm so $#!*#! hungry right now.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

JPNZ wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
Dark wrote:
My bosses daughter has returned to New Zealand from Melbourne last week. She is staying in the Pullman in Auckland which is 5 star, she has said not only is the accommodation 1st class but they have room service and full run of the 5 star menu. She said she would gladly do 4 weeks there its so nice

I wonder if that is a change or hotel dependent? I remember reading a blog about a couple if quarantine in NZ a couple of months back when people were complaining about the food - and they were posting pics of the food they were getting. Which was nice but not the hotel menu food. I can't remember the blog name though.
terangi48

Post by terangi48 »

Interesting to see J Key as the National spokesman at the moment........suggesting all sorts of things.

The one thing I'd like to know.....and JuCo has hinted at.......what NZ Assets are going to be sold down?

JK's short-sightedness on selling power generation as the oil era comes to an end this century, was a huge error for the nation. If current ownership was known today, i dont think there would be many mum and Dad investors on the list. Energy, like water and the environment, are essential to our kids and NZ's future.

It'll be the voters job to view/dig out each of the parties policies this time round......

and are we better to have as the economy is realigned......

Healthy citizens operating in a local closed-border economy?

........or........

Covid 19 affected citizens in an open border economy?
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

brat wrote: Brushing your teeth is important, but it’s the sugar that’s destroying kids teeth - and there’s hidden sugar everywhere-especially in processed foods
If having tooth decay doesn't hurt you, I'm sure having diabetes will.
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

UncleFB wrote:
JPNZ wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
Dark wrote:

I wonder if that is a change or hotel dependent? I remember reading a blog about a couple if quarantine in NZ a couple of months back when people were complaining about the food - and they were posting pics of the food they were getting. Which was nice but not the hotel menu food. I can't remember the blog name though.
It’s funny that the government has decided that 4 and 5 star hotels are the best means for quarantine. I mean the Crowne plaza in Christchurch is 4.5 and the latest to join the list.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

JPNZ wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
JPNZ wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
Dark wrote:

It’s funny that the government has decided that 4 and 5 star hotels are the best means for quarantine. I mean the Crowne plaza in Christchurch is 4.5 and the latest to join the list.
If you want to control an environment to a high standard it would make sense to use a facility built to that standard.
Dark

Post by Dark »

What standard?

They just need separate bogs. A certain amount of entrances to look after and a way of getting them food.

When was the last time you stayed in any hotel no matter how cheap, without separate bogs.

And just bring army chefs in to cook shit. They are there any way
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

Dark wrote:What standard?

They just need separate bogs. A certain amount of entrances to look after and a way of getting them food.

When was the last time you stayed in any hotel no matter how cheap, without separate bogs.

And just bring army chefs in to cook shit. They are there any way
Johnsonville's finest mind on the case!
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

I think the first requirement is to have a large number of rooms. There is no point having a security, army and Police presence at a hotel or motel with 20/30 rooms.

The bitching and moaning from the travellers if the rooms were only "adequate" would be deafening. And every news outlet would humour the moaners too.
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

Here is the issue with a proposed 'Pacific Bubble':
The Fiji Government has a big decision to make. Open up just to Kiwis, or leave the door open for the lucrative - and considerably more risky - US and Asian markets.
It is all very well having dedicated transit lanes for travellers to and from Pacific Islands, but are those Pacific Islands also entertaining travellers from heavily Covid affected countries?

https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/destinat ... -for-kiwis
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

Kahu wrote:
Ted. wrote:

South Taranaki, Harete Hipango is our local MP for Whanganui and I'll be giving 2 ticks blue. Last election I split my vote between Labour and Hipango which I would have most likely repeated had Bridges or Muller remained leader.
:thumbup:

I was thinking of Splitting my vote between Chris Bishop and Labour, though I couldn't stand Bridges and thought Muller was meh. I quite liked our Judith, but must admit I've gone off her a bit since she's wrested the reigns from Muller's faltering grasp, so it might be two ticks in the red box. Bishop is a shoe in anyway, I think.
Last edited by Ted. on Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

terangi48 wrote:Interesting to see J Key as the National spokesman at the moment........suggesting all sorts of things.

The one thing I'd like to know.....and JuCo has hinted at.......what NZ Assets are going to be sold down?

JK's short-sightedness on selling power generation as the oil era comes to an end this century, was a huge error for the nation. If current ownership was known today, i dont think there would be many mum and Dad investors on the list. Energy, like water and the environment, are essential to our kids and NZ's future.

It'll be the voters job to view/dig out each of the parties policies this time round......

........or........

Great post Terangi.

I would love for the media to begin drilling down on Collins' and Goldie's intentions regarding asset sales. Kiwis need to know this as much as they need to know about tax changes.

And a great choice for Kiwis this election. Labour = Health Party, and National = Covid Party.
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

Ted. wrote:
Kahu wrote:
Ted. wrote:

:thumbup:

I was thinking of Splitting my vote between Chris Bishop and Labour, though I couldn't stand Bridges and though Muller was meh. I quite liked our Judith, but must admit I've gone off her a bit since she's wrested the reigns from Muller's faltering grasp, so it might be two ticks in the red box. Bishop is a shoe in anyway, I think.
Really? Bishop has a majority of just 1500 votes. This electorate is going to Ginny Andersen in six weeks time.
Harvey2.0

Post by Harvey2.0 »

Muttonbirds wrote:
terangi48 wrote:Interesting to see J Key as the National spokesman at the moment........suggesting all sorts of things.

........or........

Great post Terangi.

I would love for the media to begin drilling down on Collins' and Goldie's intentions regarding asset sales. Kiwis need to know this as much as they need to know about tax changes.

And a great choice for Kiwis this election. Labour = rape culture and cover up Party, and National = the nowhere near as many creeps Party
Made a slight edit

Also https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politi ... at-it-said

Muttonbird when you get banned again I'm deleting my account, in the meantime every time you post garbage like "covid party" I'm going to point out the seedy goings on within labour you refuse to acknowledge or address.
Have a nice day
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

Are you trying to fox the mods?