NZ Politics Thread

All things Rugby
sonic_attack

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by sonic_attack »

Hareaway wrote:Bugger

Anyone else a bit cynical that the COVID ads ramped up 2 days ago .. and we were told to buy masks .

Yet we were lauded in the international press for our 100 day free ...

Then the very next day ... Looks like a jack up , I seriously hope not
I really want us to be world leaders in this .
No one here will lock down again .
That would be a stretch. We were simply living as if covid didn't exist. Complacency has got the entire planet in the shit and theres no reason for us to follow the planet in this one, we should definitely be out on our own.
Dark

Post by Dark »

sonic_attack wrote:

Anyone else a bit cynical that the COVID ads ramped up 2 days ago .. and we were told to buy masks .

That would be a stretch. We were simply living as if covid didn't exist. Complacency has got the entire planet in the shit and theres no reason for us to follow the planet in this one, we should definitely be out on our own.
I think you might find it was just the same time electioneering started and Ardern wanted everyone focused on Covid as they have no policy.
Hareaway

Post by Hareaway »

sonic_attack wrote:

Mind you How long do COVID tests take to come back ? Maybe they knew 2 days ago that there were 4 possible cases and got ahead of the ball .
BlueThunder

Post by BlueThunder »

Time for the mask debate I guess. :(
Hareaway

Post by Hareaway »

BlueThunder wrote:Time for the mask debate I guess. :(
Do we have enough ?
We have some we bought last time we were in Japan
How many times can you use them ?
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

booji boy wrote:Right through lockdown level 4 Dr Bloomfield kept assuring us we didn't need masks. Now masks seem to be all the rage. :roll:

If I am permitted to travel to Auckland and fly out of Auckland Airport on Saturday I'll definitely be wearing a mask ( which I bought online during lockdown).
Just shut it will you.
Bindi

Post by Bindi »

Sorry to read about this. The virus is an absolute plum. Hopefully it's under control very quickly.
Gordon Bennett

Post by Gordon Bennett »

And amongst all this, there was some policy from National that I really liked. New National Parks on the Coromandel and in the Caitlins with a Great Walk being constructed in each one.

Didn't read anything about the expected boundaries or timeframes though. Reckon it'll take years to get proposals like that over the line. The Kermadec Marine Sanctuary was probably one of John Key's most public failures of his tenure. I can't imagine new NPs being any easier.
Eugenius

Post by Eugenius »

Dark wrote:
sonic_attack wrote:

I think you might find it was just the same time electioneering started and Ardern wanted everyone focused on Covid as they have no policy.
Christ what a plum you are .
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Ted. wrote:
booji boy wrote:Right through lockdown level 4 Dr Bloomfield kept assuring us we didn't need masks. Now masks seem to be all the rage. :roll:

If I am permitted to travel to Auckland and fly out of Auckland Airport on Saturday I'll definitely be wearing a mask ( which I bought online during lockdown).
Just shut it will you.
Why should I 'shut it' for stating the facts?
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

That phone alarm was something else.
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

I received a text saying ‘It’s back’. It reminded me of the movie ‘It’.

I sure didn’t miss some journalists Dumb questions. ‘Ah PM, what if...’

Get your KFC now peoples.
Last edited by Tehui on Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dark

Post by Dark »

Wilderbeast wrote:That phone alarm was something else.

My wife got it and I didn't.

Slightly annoying, in the old over kill
Hareaway

Post by Hareaway »

Right in the middle of Mia Khalifa wasn’t fun
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Tehui wrote:I received a text saying ‘It’s back’. It reminded me of the movie ‘It.
:lol:
jambanja

Post by jambanja »

Yep, for a second there I thought we were about to experience a tsunami
deadduck

Post by deadduck »

Fat Old Git wrote:Feck. We were discussing just the other day on the Melbourne thread how their situation was highlighting how fragile our situation was.

You can put your house on the fact that there will be hundreds of Aucklanders completely ignoring this 3 day lockdown.
Hareaway

Post by Hareaway »

jambanja wrote:
Yep, for a second there I thought we were about to experience a tsunami
Maybe we are
JB1981

Post by JB1981 »

I didn’t get the alert. It must have only been sent to NZ’s best and brightest.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

JB1981 wrote:I didn’t get the alert. It must have only been sent to NZ’s best and brightest.
I think you're correct. My wife and I both received it.
Hareaway

Post by Hareaway »

Just watching the Prime Minister .. honestly she looks gutted .
Best wishes to her
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

booji boy wrote:
Ted. wrote:

Just shut it will you.
The evidence on masks is like a moving target. Back then during Lvl 4, the evidence was not there apparently. There is literally no textbook to say exactly how to deal with this thing.
Dark

Post by Dark »

Hareaway wrote:Just watching the Prime Minister .. honestly she looks gutted .
Best wishes to her

Thought she just looked extremely pale and shitting herself.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Unwelcome news. You will get on top of it though. :thumbup:
Last edited by shanky on Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

Hareaway wrote:
:lol: A friend told me she's retired oldboy. Update your lockdown channels.
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

booji boy wrote:
Ted. wrote:

Just shut it will you.
If you haven't figured out that the knowledge and science is constantly changing, then you're not worthy of commenting intelligently. Instead, you're just another one of the facebook morons spouting off with no understanding about what they are saying.

To be clear, the weight of evidence is now stacking up for mask use, however you do know that the science on masks, despite recent new information, is still not definitive?
Hareaway

Post by Hareaway »

Auckman wrote:
Hareaway wrote:
:lol: A friend told me she's retired oldboy. Update your lockdown channels.
Maybe take a while to renew inthe “favourites “ tab .
Maniototo Man

Post by Maniototo Man »

booji boy wrote:
JB1981 wrote:I didn’t get the alert. It must have only been sent to NZ’s best and brightest.
It might also explain this.
Dark wrote:
Dark

Post by Dark »

Maniototo Man wrote:
booji boy wrote:
It might also explain this.
Dark wrote:
Not sure. I got a direct conference call from Ardern and Bloomsfield outlining the current situation.

When Ardern stopped crying we sorted some shit.

Edit: Should probably add I haven't heard her that emotional since the time she rang me when she let her cat die.
Santa

Post by Santa »

I don't know dudes. This is bad luck and all but is this a proportionate response? We had more cases in Essex alone last week and did not go into lockdown. I feel like you've talked yourselves into a corner here.
terangi48

Post by terangi48 »

Hey ho.....and off we go again........bugger....was getting used to all that freedom....and the rugby. I'd say it's probably odds on Orks v Cantabs is buried this weekend.

However......household stocks are better prepared this time if it really kicks off.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Ted. wrote:
booji boy wrote:
Ted. wrote:

Just shut it will you.
If you haven't figured out that the knowledge and science is constantly changing, then you're not worthy of commenting intelligently. Instead, you're just another one of the facebook morons spouting off with no understanding about what they are saying.

To be clear, the weight of evidence is now stacking up for mask use, however you do know that the science on masks, despite recent new information, is still not definitive?
Whatever.

It seemed like common sense if you ask me. In China, Taiwan, Vietnam etc , you know the countries that have actually dealt with these corona virus outbreaks before, they were all wearing them. But Dr Bloomfand and Jacinda kept assuring us we didn't need them. :roll: Call me a skeptic/cynic. More than happy to accept that moniker.
Dark

Post by Dark »

Santa wrote:I don't know dudes. This is bad luck and all but is this a proportionate response? We had more cases in Essex alone last week and did not go into lockdown. I feel like you've talked yourselves into a corner here.
You get used to it.

We are a few weeks out from and election and the current lot a shitting themselves that anything will make them fall of the riding the Covid wave.

Basically they were walking it before this and anything changing that is bound to cause panic.
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

booji boy wrote:
Ted. wrote: If you haven't figured out that the knowledge and science is constantly changing, then you're not worthy of commenting intelligently. Instead, you're just another one of the facebook morons spouting off with no understanding about what they are saying.

Whatever.

It seemed like common sense if you ask me. In China, Taiwan, Vietnam etc , you know the countries that have actually dealt with these corona virus outbreaks before, they were all wearing them. But Dr Bloomfand and Jacinda kept assuring us we didn't need them. :roll: Call me a skeptic/cynic. More than happy to accept that moniker.
In Japan, people were wearing masks from very early on but the virus is well-seated and now spreading quite quickly. Yet NZ is the country to reach 100 days with no community transmission. Go figure that one.
Monkey Magic

Post by Monkey Magic »

Confusing messages from the news - tvnz say only essential workers allowed to not work from home, govt website says work from home if you can. So if I'm not an essential worker and can't work from home do I still go in this week?
Eugenius

Post by Eugenius »

Dark wrote:
Hareaway wrote:Just watching the Prime Minister .. honestly she looks gutted .
Best wishes to her

Thought she just looked extremely pale and shitting herself.

Well colour me surprised !
usermame

Post by usermame »

Hareaway wrote:No one here will lock down again .
Oh well, it was good while it lasted. Pity the Southern Man types can't hack it.
usermame

Post by usermame »

Monkey Magic wrote:Confusing messages from the news - tvnz say only essential workers allowed to not work from home, govt website says work from home if you can. So if I'm not an essential worker and can't work from home do I still go in this week?
Not if your workplace doesn't have a plan and can't maintain social distancing is the level three setting I think.
RuggaBugga

Post by RuggaBugga »

Enzedder wrote:If we do go down the legalised weed path, I hope that they can do something about the outdated testing regime.

I don't think that a test showing that you had a smoke two weekends ago means a damn thing for work situations - surely a test to determine whether you are under the influence 'now' has to be made the norm. Like booze
My only reservation about the whole thing tbh.

Not keen on anyone under the influence of anything in the workplace, heavy machinery or no.

Yes I realise it already happens, I'd be surprised etc... bla bla bla but was having a serious talk about it with a mate who works on high tension power lines/cables (where they are currently....hehe...piss tested) and he is justifiably nervous imo. Conversely in my line of work you could lose a lot of money in a very short space of time.

I've always been pro but after looking into it I'd want to be sure there were some pretty stringent controls and at least some semblance of real time testing available.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

RuggaBugga wrote:
Enzedder wrote:If we do go down the legalised weed path, I hope that they can do something about the outdated testing regime.

I don't think that a test showing that you had a smoke two weekends ago means a damn thing for work situations - surely a test to determine whether you are under the influence 'now' has to be made the norm. Like booze
My only reservation about the whole thing tbh.

Not keen on anyone under the influence of anything in the workplace, heavy machinery or no.

Yes I realise it already happens, I'd be surprised etc... bla bla bla but was having a serious talk about it with a mate who works on high tension power lines/cables (where they are currently....hehe...piss tested) and he is justifiably nervous imo. Conversely in my line of work you could lose a lot of money in a very short space of time.

I've always been pro but after looking into it I'd want to be sure there were some pretty stringent controls and at least some semblance of real time testing available.
Saliva testing can reveal active levels... easy to determine anything within 12 hours or so.