NZ Politics Thread

All things Rugby
Monkey Magic

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by Monkey Magic »

Confusing messages from the news - tvnz say only essential workers allowed to not work from home, govt website says work from home if you can. So if I'm not an essential worker and can't work from home do I still go in this week?
Eugenius

Post by Eugenius »

Dark wrote:
Hareaway wrote:Just watching the Prime Minister .. honestly she looks gutted .
Best wishes to her

Thought she just looked extremely pale and shitting herself.

Well colour me surprised !
usermame

Post by usermame »

Hareaway wrote:No one here will lock down again .
Oh well, it was good while it lasted. Pity the Southern Man types can't hack it.
usermame

Post by usermame »

Monkey Magic wrote:Confusing messages from the news - tvnz say only essential workers allowed to not work from home, govt website says work from home if you can. So if I'm not an essential worker and can't work from home do I still go in this week?
Not if your workplace doesn't have a plan and can't maintain social distancing is the level three setting I think.
RuggaBugga

Post by RuggaBugga »

Enzedder wrote:If we do go down the legalised weed path, I hope that they can do something about the outdated testing regime.

I don't think that a test showing that you had a smoke two weekends ago means a damn thing for work situations - surely a test to determine whether you are under the influence 'now' has to be made the norm. Like booze
My only reservation about the whole thing tbh.

Not keen on anyone under the influence of anything in the workplace, heavy machinery or no.

Yes I realise it already happens, I'd be surprised etc... bla bla bla but was having a serious talk about it with a mate who works on high tension power lines/cables (where they are currently....hehe...piss tested) and he is justifiably nervous imo. Conversely in my line of work you could lose a lot of money in a very short space of time.

I've always been pro but after looking into it I'd want to be sure there were some pretty stringent controls and at least some semblance of real time testing available.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

RuggaBugga wrote:
Enzedder wrote:If we do go down the legalised weed path, I hope that they can do something about the outdated testing regime.

I don't think that a test showing that you had a smoke two weekends ago means a damn thing for work situations - surely a test to determine whether you are under the influence 'now' has to be made the norm. Like booze
My only reservation about the whole thing tbh.

Not keen on anyone under the influence of anything in the workplace, heavy machinery or no.

Yes I realise it already happens, I'd be surprised etc... bla bla bla but was having a serious talk about it with a mate who works on high tension power lines/cables (where they are currently....hehe...piss tested) and he is justifiably nervous imo. Conversely in my line of work you could lose a lot of money in a very short space of time.

I've always been pro but after looking into it I'd want to be sure there were some pretty stringent controls and at least some semblance of real time testing available.
Saliva testing can reveal active levels... easy to determine anything within 12 hours or so.
RuggaBugga

Post by RuggaBugga »

jambanja wrote:So a week or so ago we get Ashley saying it’s a question of when not if, then we get told to stock up on masks, followed very shortly by this...hmmm
Yes the Director General and the NZ Government are clearly either beholden to Big Mask or deliberately letting the virus spread for political reasons.

You've either cracked the case or are some weird zimbot twat.

I'll leave it for the crowd to decide.
RuggaBugga

Post by RuggaBugga »

Auckman wrote:
Hareaway wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:That phone alarm was something else.
Right in the middle of Mia Khalifa wasn’t fun
:lol: A friend told me she's retired oldboy. Update your lockdown channels.
Was trying to remember what respectable commentator she was for a bit. Name has so much gravitas...
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

RuggaBugga wrote:
jambanja wrote:So a week or so ago we get Ashley saying it’s a question of when not if, then we get told to stock up on masks, followed very shortly by this...hmmm
Yes the Director General and the NZ Government are clearly either beholden to Big Mask or deliberately letting the virus spread for political reasons.

Big Mask :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbup:
shanky

Post by shanky »

If it’s any comfort, cuzzies...

I think you can manage these low level outbreaks via test and trace, and...

It keeps your system ‘hot’ for future outbreaks. Like maintaining match fitness, so to speak.

After all, this shit isn’t going away anytime soon (in the world). Doesn’t hurt to be match fit. :thumbup:

Good luck
Dark

Post by Dark »

Eugenius wrote:
Dark wrote:
Hareaway wrote:Just watching the Prime Minister .. honestly she looks gutted .
Best wishes to her

Thought she just looked extremely pale and shitting herself.

Well colour me surprised !
You disagree

All good

This is welcome in my world, but seems to be not so much in yours
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

shanky wrote:If it’s any comfort, cuzzies...

It keeps your system ‘hot’ for future outbreaks. Like maintaining match fitness, so to speak.

After all, this shit isn’t going away anytime soon (in the world). Doesn’t hurt to be match fit. :thumbup:

Good luck
:thumbup:
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

RuggaBugga wrote:

I suspect a few will be annoyed that the DG’s proactive statement on masks robbed them of the opportunity to berate the authorities for having become complacent and lax. It is handy to be able to pivot to another line of attack, especially with dark conspiratorial undertones.
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

Santa wrote: 7 weeks between setting up the response group and lockdown. 3 weeks between first case and lockdown. They had time. They just didn't think to do it.
Santa wrote:I don't know dudes. This is bad luck and all but is this a proportionate response? We had more cases in Essex alone last week and did not go into lockdown. I feel like you've talked yourselves into a corner here.
Mike Hosking...is that you?
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

I am going to listen in this morning - after all, he wanted to open the border and take the risk...

As does JuCo
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Enzedder wrote:I am going to listen in this morning - after all, he wanted to open the border and take the risk...

As does JuCo
So much for the travel bubble with Rarotonga. Not that it was going to happen until Xmas anyway.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

shanky wrote:If it’s any comfort, cuzzies...

Good luck
Cheers Cobba. :thumbup:
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

Today and tomorrow’s 1pm announcements are going to be pivotal. You’d expect all of the close contacts to be tested yesterday and a massive amount of testing to be done today. If this thing is coming again we’ll know a lot more by Friday.
JB1981

Post by JB1981 »

JB1981 wrote:I didn’t get the alert. It must have only been sent to NZ’s best and brightest.
I got a reminder message this morning :smug:.
sonic_attack

Post by sonic_attack »

With a bit of luck, we will have some more luck in this one too, hopefully it works out to be a good scare and a manageable spread.

It's probably time we all took a bit more personal responsibility in this whole drama. The expectation that we just leave it up to others while we carry on the party is a bit rich and ultimately unlikely to work out.

Maybe we need to look at what's really expected of people at level 1, seems clear that just ignoring the fact theres a virus at the door won't work regardless of how much we're insulated from it by babysitters at the border.
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

sonic_attack wrote:
Maybe we need to look at what's really expected of people at level 1, seems clear that just ignoring the fact theres a virus at the door won't work regardless of how much we're insulated from it by babysitters at the border.
Agree, I know Ive been guilty of it at level 1. I read a report the other day that something like 1.2% of the general population are using the tracing app.
kiweez

Post by kiweez »

I'm in Wellington. I'll happily take 3 days of mild inconvenience to 6 weeks of lock-down.

And anyone who says that the message of "when not it" wasn't out there all throughout is being disingenuous. There is no conspiracy here folks.
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

kiweez wrote:I'm in Wellington. I'll happily take 3 days of mild inconvenience to 6 weeks of lock-down.

And anyone who says that the message of "when not it" wasn't out there all throughout is being disingenuous. There is no conspiracy here folks.

Only those that sort of wanted this to happen are seeking to make political capital from it.
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

kiweez wrote:I'm in Wellington. I'll happily take 3 days of mild inconvenience to 6 weeks of lock-down.
If you think this is going to be over in 3 days.... prepare yourself.
Santa

Post by Santa »

The projected cost is $60-70m in lost business in Auckland. Assuming a short lockdown.
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

Santa wrote:The estimated cost is $60-70m in lost business in Auckland.
Pales into insignificance when the government is spending $1.5 billion every week propping up the economy.
Santa

Post by Santa »

JPNZ wrote:
Santa wrote:The estimated cost is $60-70m in lost business in Auckland.
Pales into insignificance when the government is spending $1.5 billion every week propping up the economy.
Not to those businesses.
jambanja

Post by jambanja »

RuggaBugga wrote:

As a Zimbo twat, so obviously unable to comprehend much, could you please clarify what the three days of alert level changes achieve, is this for contact tracing to get a better picture, and how much of a picture can we build in three days...cheers
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

jambanja wrote:
RuggaBugga wrote:

As a Zimbo twat, so obviously unable to comprehend much, could you please clarify what the three days of alert level changes achieve, is this for contact tracing to get a better picture, and how much of a picture can we build in three days...cheers
Contact tracing has already happened, hence why they can't find source. My guess is the next 3 days is to test for any other active cases out there and hopefully work out source. By Friday, they'll have more info to make further decisions re: alert levels.
Maniototo Man

Post by Maniototo Man »

jambanja wrote:
RuggaBugga wrote:

That is my understanding of it. They will want to know everyone who they could have potentially infected but they will also be doing some detective work in the other direction to try and work out where it came from.

Scientists here are working on sequencing the genome of all New Zealand’s COVID-19 cases so they can see how cases spread through the country during the first outbreak. This story - published a few days ago - outlines what they have found through their first round of research.

https://www.odt.co.nz/news/dunedin/camp ... ovid-cases

Sequencing the genome of every case also means they may be able to tell where this outbreak came from (assuming it's a single source). They can already tell which part of the world cases came from during the first outbreak. Subtle shifts in the virus genome means they could tell whether a particular instance of the virus that came into New Zealand was derived from one circulating in Europe, Asia, American, the Indian subcontinent etc. If you read the story, it says most of the infections actually came via North America.

There is the potential to tell which person (or group of returnees from a particular part of the world) was the source for the outbreak. That would allow them to track back and see which facility it may have come from, which flight and who they may have been in contact with at the border.

Go the scientists!!
Last edited by Maniototo Man on Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jerome Manning

Post by Jerome Manning »

It was fu%ken ridiculous. Not everyone works 9-5 workdays to be woken up like that. I'll be leaving my phone off to sleep now.
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

Santa wrote:The projected cost is $60-70m in lost business in Auckland. Assuming a short lockdown.

I reckon it's just a buck fifty and my guess is as good as yours :P
jambanja

Post by jambanja »

Auckman wrote:
jambanja wrote:
RuggaBugga wrote:

Contact tracing has already happened, hence why they can't find source. My guess is the next 3 days is to test for any other active cases out there and hopefully work out source. By Friday, they'll have more info to make further decisions re: alert levels.
Cheers, lets hope they can work out the source, as an aside our lodger went to the supermarket this morning and it was chaos and guess what, toilet paper is back to number one on the charts :roll:
Santa

Post by Santa »

Enzedder wrote:
Santa wrote:The projected cost is $60-70m in lost business in Auckland. Assuming a short lockdown.

I reckon it's just a buck fifty and my guess is as good as yours :P
It's not my guess.
Maniototo Man

Post by Maniototo Man »

Just found out that Mrs MM's elderly uncle is in one of the care homes that have been locked down in Christchurch. :?

Knowing him he will be taking it in his stride with a cheerful attitude. He's had all sorts of medical problems over the past 20 or so years and we never thought he would make 80 - however, he seems to have the core constitution of an ox.
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

Jerome Manning wrote:
It was fu%ken ridiculous. Not everyone works 9-5 workdays to be woken up like that. I'll be leaving my phone off to sleep now.

I have never taken my phone to bed unless I was expecting a call that couldn't wait - I think that's never. (Or if my wife was working night shift and that was rarely)
Maniototo Man

Post by Maniototo Man »

Kiwias wrote:
booji boy wrote:
Ted. wrote: If you haven't figured out that the knowledge and science is constantly changing, then you're not worthy of commenting intelligently. Instead, you're just another one of the facebook morons spouting off with no understanding about what they are saying.

To be clear, the weight of evidence is now stacking up for mask use, however you do know that the science on masks, despite recent new information, is still not definitive?
Whatever.

It seemed like common sense if you ask me. In China, Taiwan, Vietnam etc , you know the countries that have actually dealt with these corona virus outbreaks before, they were all wearing them. But Dr Bloomfand and Jacinda kept assuring us we didn't need them. :roll: Call me a skeptic/cynic. More than happy to accept that moniker.
In Japan, people were wearing masks from very early on but the virus is well-seated and now spreading quite quickly. Yet NZ is the country to reach 100 days with no community transmission. Go figure that one.
Over the years we've had students from Japan, Hong Kong and Korea stay with us and when discussing the topic of masks they all said they wore masks to cut down the amount of pollution they sucked in rather than to avoid disease spread.

They all came from big cities and said their masks would get really dirty on the commute to and from school - which usually involved some walking and at least one bus or train ride.

People still got sick from seasonal colds and flus.

It's probably been said and linked before but according to the MOH the masks are more about reducing the risk of infecting others. Worth posting again.
How masks can help in the ongoing fight against COVID-19

Wearing a face mask can reduce the risk of infected people spreading COVID-19. This is referred to as ‘source control’. (See the World Health Organization’s Advice On The Use Of Masks In The Context Of COVID-19 for more information.) A face mask helps stop droplets spreading when someone speaks, laughs, coughs or sneezes. This includes someone who has COVID-19 but feels well or has no obvious symptoms.

Face masks are particularly useful if there is known community transmission, and people are in close proximity to each other such as on public transport, in shops or in other confined or crowded environments.
https://www.health.govt.nz/our-work/dis ... 0symptoms.
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

Maniototo Man wrote:Just found out that Mrs MM's elderly uncle is in one of the care homes that have been locked down in Christchurch. :?

Knowing him he will be taking it in his stride with a cheerful attitude. He's had all sorts of medical problems over the past 20 or so years and we never thought he would make 80 - however, he seems to have the core constitution of an ox.
You’ll be pleased to hear both tested clear this morning.
RuggaBugga

Post by RuggaBugga »

Rest Homes all in full lockdown now.
RuggaBugga

Post by RuggaBugga »

jambanja wrote:
RuggaBugga wrote:

What does it say on r/itsaconspiracy?