NZ Politics Thread

All things Rugby
Eugenius

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by Eugenius »

JPNZ wrote:Good choice to put all resthomes into full level 4 lockdown from midday today. Protect the most vulnerable ASAP
Good job 👍🏼
terangi48

Post by terangi48 »

Good to hear that experience of the first session of Covid is guiding last nights decisions.

Elderly care locked down nation wide, testing and tracing increased, advising incidental and large work places likely to be affected, and public announcements back in vogue to keep public informed. Shame that Vodafone were upgrading their gear......received the message this morning...

Hearing also that infected people have been to school, and away out of district for the weekend, demonstrates how things can turn to crap so quickly.........keep safe everyone.
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

It seems that the "Stay home if you're sick" request has been totally ignored. In fact I would say that 95% of us were totally blase about the whole thing.
jamesfreeman

Post by jamesfreeman »

Makes me appreciate being an essential worker (home delivery for supermarket, day off today but heard it busy), like others thought had put all this behind.

Government kind of dropped the ball on this one but response to outbreak appropriate (based on procedures and protocols). Be interesting to see where it leaked in, how and what actual practical steps can be taken to further secure from it repeating.

Fingers crossed it a short stint stamping it out and more data/treatments and vaccine on way so can go back to proper normal (will eventually happen)...

Also looking forward to the polls following this all too
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

Santa wrote:
JPNZ wrote:
Santa wrote:The estimated cost is $60-70m in lost business in Auckland.
Pales into insignificance when the government is spending $1.5 billion every week propping up the economy.
Not to those businesses.
Unequivocally to those businesses.
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

jamesfreeman wrote:Makes me appreciate being an essential worker (home delivery for supermarket, day off today but heard it busy), like others thought had put all this behind.

Government kind of dropped the ball on this one but response to outbreak appropriate (based on procedures and protocols). Be interesting to see where it leaked in, how and what actual practical steps can be taken to further secure from it repeating.

Fingers crossed it a short stint stamping it out and more data/treatments and vaccine on way so can go back to proper normal (will eventually happen)...

Also looking forward to the polls following this all too
How so?
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

It's the NewstalkZB agenda Ted. No evidence, just a sound byte but it's a loud one.
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

Enzedder wrote:It's the NewstalkZB agenda Ted. No evidence, just a sound byte but it's a loud one.
Right you are.

There's some nasty, disingenuous pricks about, that's for sure.

Talking of which, I see Sneaker didn't read the article he quoted re the 60-70 mil cost of the lockdown, or is being a you know what. The economists they quoted said the economic cost would be worse if the lockdown was not enacted.
sonic_attack

Post by sonic_attack »

Yeah I don't see where government has 100% liability in this either. Something was going to slip through at some stage, now it's up to us, all the people that have been doing fudge all for 100+ days to step up and do the part we are supposed be doing, and the only part we have control of.
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

The partisanship is getting ugly pretty quickly. A pity.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Ted. wrote:
Enzedder wrote:It's the NewstalkZB agenda Ted. No evidence, just a sound byte but it's a loud one.
Right you are.

Talking of which, I see Sneaker didn't read the article he quoted re the 60-70 mil cost of the lockdown, or is being a you know what. The economists they quoted said the economic cost would be worse if the lockdown was not enacted.
Sure as shit, I hope Sneaker isn't Santa

Sneaker's legacy gets a battering as it is, without imposing that level of opprobrium on him.
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

shanky wrote:
Ted. wrote:
Right you are.

Sneaker's legacy gets a battering as it is, without imposing that level of opprobrium on him.
Hmmm considers an IP check. Nah, cannot be bothered.
shanky

Post by shanky »

:lol:
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

Enzedder wrote:
shanky wrote:
Ted. wrote:
Right you are.

Hmmm considers an IP check. Nah, cannot be bothered.
That would spoil the fun.
BlueThunder

Post by BlueThunder »

It's fascinating the National party and the right wing talkback crazies are all coming out and accidentally demanding that Ardern continue as Prime Minister indefinitely (until things "settle down" which could be never).
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

BlueThunder wrote:It's fascinating the National party and the right wing talkback crazies are all coming out and accidentally demanding that Ardern continue as Prime Minister indefinitely (until things "settle down" which could be never).
I assume you are talking about postponing the election.
Dark

Post by Dark »

BlueThunder wrote:It's fascinating the National party and the right wing talkback crazies are all coming out and accidentally demanding that Ardern continue as Prime Minister indefinitely (until things "settle down" which could be never).

Why is it fascinating?

It is a ridiculous scenario if the levels get extended for more weeks.

I get you love Ardern getting the only media limelight up until the election and a load of voters not being able to vote, but it would be a tad biased.
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

shanky wrote:
Ted. wrote:
Right you are.

His attitude towards Jacinda fits, particularly when he tells her to go read some wanky high brow text of some sort.
sonic_attack

Post by sonic_attack »

Why would it be a ridiculous scenario if the levels be extended a few more weeks?
BlueThunder

Post by BlueThunder »

Dark wrote:

Why is it fascinating?

I get you love Ardern getting the only media limelight up until the election and a load of voters not being able to vote, but it would be a tad biased.
Because if the polls were reversed they wouldn't want her to govern for a minute longer.
Demilich

Post by Demilich »

It makes sense though. National are unlikely to win at this point, but an extra couple of months for shit potentially to go wrong, that they can tar the government with, can very quickly change that. Similar to Trump wanting to delay the US one - except in his case, he would be hoping things start going right (e.g. a vaccine is approved, a drop in cases/deaths, an uptick in the economy).
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

The Reserve Bank has expanded its Quantitative Easing programme to up to $100 billion to further lower retail interest rates. The Reserve Bank left the official cash rate unchanged at 0.25 in today's Monetary Policy Statement. But it has expanded the Quantitative Easing (QE) programme - sometimes dubbed "printing money" - from a previous limit of $60b.
One hundred billion dollars... let that sink in for a moment.
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

These next 3 days are the most important for the election to be postponed or not. If further lockdowns are required, I am sure even the government would want to delay it by 2 months or so because they would also want a chance to campaign. Garner this morning wants it delayed until "next year"; I think that's a bit too far out. :lol:
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

Garner shoots first then doesn’t hang around for questions.
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

Auckman wrote:These next 3 days are the most important for the election to be postponed or not. If further lockdowns are required, I am sure even the government would want to delay it by 2 months or so because they would also want a chance to campaign. Garner this morning wants it delayed until "next year"; I think that's a bit too far out. :lol:
Jeez, countries with far more difficult circumstances manage to hold elections, yet the pitiable flakes in NZ want ours postponed at the drop of a hat. With postal voting, there's no need at all to delay the election.
Gordon Bennett

Post by Gordon Bennett »

Why delay the election? Plenty of countries and states have held elections during COVID. Smacks of electioneering, despite campaigns being suspended.

This re-emergence does mean the polling situation could be a lot more volatile now though.
Wignu

Post by Wignu »

Garner's a fairweather fvckwit though, thankfully most know this.
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

Um slightly concerning....
A cool storage facility in Auckland will be tested for Covid-19, with the possibility that the virus could have travelled into New Zealand on refrigerated freight. Four cases of Covid-19 were discovered in South Auckland on Tuesday evening, ending a 102-day run of no community transmission. One of the people infected worked at a cool store company in Mount Wellington, reported to be Americold.

Health officials have not ruled out the virus, surviving in a refrigerated environment on freight being transported from abroad, may have then been contracted at the cool store. Dr Ashley Bloomfield on Wednesday said “environmental testing” of the storage facility would take place as well as looking for transmission between staff.

“We do know from studies overseas, that actually, the virus can survive in some refrigerated environments for quite some time,” he said.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

JPNZ wrote:Um slightly concerning....
A cool storage facility in Auckland will be tested for Covid-19, with the possibility that the virus could have travelled into New Zealand on refrigerated freight. Four cases of Covid-19 were discovered in South Auckland on Tuesday evening, ending a 102-day run of no community transmission. One of the people infected worked at a cool store company in Mount Wellington, reported to be Americold.

Health officials have not ruled out the virus, surviving in a refrigerated environment on freight being transported from abroad, may have then been contracted at the cool store. Dr Ashley Bloomfield on Wednesday said “environmental testing” of the storage facility would take place as well as looking for transmission between staff.

“We do know from studies overseas, that actually, the virus can survive in some refrigerated environments for quite some time,” he said.
Extremely concerning! :shock:
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Ted. wrote:
Auckman wrote:These next 3 days are the most important for the election to be postponed or not. If further lockdowns are required, I am sure even the government would want to delay it by 2 months or so because they would also want a chance to campaign. Garner this morning wants it delayed until "next year"; I think that's a bit too far out. :lol:
Jeez, countries with far more difficult circumstances manage to hold elections, yet the pitiable flakes in NZ want ours postponed at the drop of a hat. With postal voting, there's no need at all to delay the election.
Have those countries had lockdowns as comprehensive and restrictive as ours is at levels 3 and 4?
Dark

Post by Dark »

BlueThunder wrote:
Dark wrote:

Why is it fascinating?

Because if the polls were reversed they wouldn't want her to govern for a minute longer.
The polls aren't reversed.

MPs can't even door knock. A lot of people won't be able to vote, and Labour with zero policy get to do a half hour long party political broadcast every day.

There is literally no ability for any other party to promote themselves while we are in lock down.

But I understand how this is ace for Jaciples
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

I wonder if the polls could stay open for a week to spread the demand. Also, JuCo has come out against postal voting when that is a logical solution - anyone know why?
brat

Post by brat »

Does anyone know what quarantine measures are taken for airport workers, or anyone that has contact with the arrivals at the border?

I know they get tested regularly and there will be an appropriate roster system, but I’m assuming they aren’t quarantined and go back to their respective homes/families etc after work?

If they aren’t quarantined surely this would be an obvious vector for Covid
Dark

Post by Dark »

Enzedder wrote:I wonder if the polls could stay open for a week to spread the demand. Also, JuCo has come out against postal voting when that is a logical solution - anyone know why?

Probably because they won't get a chance to launch any campaign before a national election.

I get you think parties getting daily national pedestals, while the other parties get zilch heading into an election is great.

More open minded people don't
Dark

Post by Dark »

brat wrote:Does anyone know what quarantine measures are taken for airport workers, or anyone that has contact with the arrivals at the border?

I know they get tested regularly and there will be an appropriate roster system, but I’m assuming they aren’t quarantined and go back to their respective homes/families etc after work?

They weren't being tested regularly
brat

Post by brat »

Ted. wrote:
I heard recently that only 63% of voters under some young age in Nz have even bothered to get on the role

Surely If Covid is around there will be even a lower turnout from the younger age groups, which would seem to effect labours numbers more than others
Dark

Post by Dark »

Another Labour party political broadcast in a few minutes apparently
brat

Post by brat »

Dark wrote:
brat wrote:Does anyone know what quarantine measures are taken for airport workers, or anyone that has contact with the arrivals at the border?

They weren't being tested regularly
Really?..that’s ridiculous
Gordon Bennett

Post by Gordon Bennett »

Probably out of date already, but the latest UMR poll:

Labour 52%
National 28%
Act 5.9%
Greens 5.4%
NZ First 5.1%
Dark

Post by Dark »

Apparently "While it is for 3 days"

They are now requiring businesses to have a QR code for the tracing app at level 3, but giving them a weeks notice.

:?