NZ Politics Thread

All things Rugby
Dark

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by Dark »

brat wrote:Does anyone know what quarantine measures are taken for airport workers, or anyone that has contact with the arrivals at the border?

I know they get tested regularly and there will be an appropriate roster system, but I’m assuming they aren’t quarantined and go back to their respective homes/families etc after work?

If they aren’t quarantined surely this would be an obvious vector for Covid

They weren't being tested regularly
brat

Post by brat »

Ted. wrote:
Auckman wrote:These next 3 days are the most important for the election to be postponed or not. If further lockdowns are required, I am sure even the government would want to delay it by 2 months or so because they would also want a chance to campaign. Garner this morning wants it delayed until "next year"; I think that's a bit too far out. :lol:
Jeez, countries with far more difficult circumstances manage to hold elections, yet the pitiable flakes in NZ want ours postponed at the drop of a hat. With postal voting, there's no need at all to delay the election.
I heard recently that only 63% of voters under some young age in Nz have even bothered to get on the role

Surely If Covid is around there will be even a lower turnout from the younger age groups, which would seem to effect labours numbers more than others
Dark

Post by Dark »

Another Labour party political broadcast in a few minutes apparently
brat

Post by brat »

Dark wrote:
brat wrote:Does anyone know what quarantine measures are taken for airport workers, or anyone that has contact with the arrivals at the border?

I know they get tested regularly and there will be an appropriate roster system, but I’m assuming they aren’t quarantined and go back to their respective homes/families etc after work?

Really?..that’s ridiculous
Gordon Bennett

Post by Gordon Bennett »

Probably out of date already, but the latest UMR poll:

Labour 52%
National 28%
Act 5.9%
Greens 5.4%
NZ First 5.1%
Dark

Post by Dark »

Apparently "While it is for 3 days"

They are now requiring businesses to have a QR code for the tracing app at level 3, but giving them a weeks notice.

:?
BlueThunder

Post by BlueThunder »

brat wrote:
Dark wrote:

There is only so many times you can shove something up a healthy person's nose before they lose their shit.

They were being tested but not as often as those that worked around the confirmed covid positive travellers.
brat

Post by brat »

BlueThunder wrote:
brat wrote:
Dark wrote:

There is only so many times you can shove something up a healthy person's nose before they lose their shit.

They were being tested but not as often as those that worked around the confirmed covid positive travellers.
Thought the protocol was 3,7,14 days?..not a huge inconvenience in the scheme of things
brat

Post by brat »

Gordon Bennett wrote:Probably out of date already, but the latest UMR poll:

Labour 52%
National 28%
Act 5.9%
Greens 5.4%
NZ First 5.1%
Interesting..on the surface that looks like an outlier poll with nzf on 5.1
BlueThunder

Post by BlueThunder »

Dark wrote:
BlueThunder wrote:
Dark wrote:
BlueThunder wrote:It's fascinating the National party and the right wing talkback crazies are all coming out and accidentally demanding that Ardern continue as Prime Minister indefinitely (until things "settle down" which could be never).

Why is it fascinating?

It is a ridiculous scenario if the levels get extended for more weeks.

I get you love Ardern getting the only media limelight up until the election and a load of voters not being able to vote, but it would be a tad biased.
Because if the polls were reversed they wouldn't want her to govern for a minute longer.
The polls aren't reversed.

MPs can't even door knock. A lot of people won't be able to vote, and Labour with zero policy get to do a half hour long party political broadcast every day.

There is literally no ability for any other party to promote themselves while we are in lock down.

But I understand how this is ace for Jaciples

Unless they do an amazing job of containing this outbreak things could be far worse by November. There is never going to be an ideal time to hold the election.

The spotlight can be beneficial but only if you're doing a good job, if things go badly the last place Arden would want to be is on TV being scrutinised daily.

Maybe MOH officials could hold the announcements and Jacinda take media questions behind closed doors.

At any rate challenging circumstances require innovative solutions, electioneering during lockdown could be a good indication of how parties deal with challenging and unprecedented circumstances.
Last edited by BlueThunder on Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

brat wrote:
BlueThunder wrote:
brat wrote:
Dark wrote:

Thought the protocol was 3,7,14 days?..not a huge inconvenience in the scheme of things
That's the new arrivals that are in quarantine not the border workers.
Gordon Bennett

Post by Gordon Bennett »

brat wrote:
Gordon Bennett wrote:Probably out of date already, but the latest UMR poll:

Labour 52%
National 28%
Act 5.9%
Greens 5.4%
NZ First 5.1%
Interesting..on the surface that looks like an outlier poll with nzf on 5.1
Looking at the track record of UMR, they tend to have NZF polling higher. Only one of their polls has NZF below 5% (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_p ... uria_polls)

And it is Labour's internal polling. But, Labour's % has been pretty stable in both Labour and National's internal polling in recent times - the volatility has been in the other parties.

This poll also leaves 3.6% unallocated (presumbly Maori, TOP and New Conservative with some undecided)
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

Our local Labour MP arranged a public meeting via Zoom (nothing upsets yuppies and the "haves" more than having a HNZ development in their neighborhood). 700 families logged in so surely electioneering can be done online with open meetings.

With regard to postal voting - does ANYONE have a reasonable reason why this can't be arranged if things go a little bit sour.?
brat

Post by brat »

Booji boy..yes I know

I was assuming they would have a similar protocol for workers but the only vague info I can find is that they are testing workers based on being symptomatic, but not sure if that’s accurate
obelixtim

Post by obelixtim »

I don't really see the point in electioneering anyway. I reckon 90% of people already have their minds set on who they will vote for. No hardcore voter/supporter of a party is going to do a 180 and vote for the opposition.

All they should do is announce policy.
Dark

Post by Dark »

Enzedder wrote:Our local Labour MP arranged a public meeting via Zoom (nothing upsets yuppies and the "haves" more than having a HNZ development in their neighborhood). 700 families logged in so surely electioneering can be done online with open meetings.

With regard to postal voting - does ANYONE have a reasonable reason why this can't be arranged if things go a little bit sour.?
Yes

Did you see the results of the Labour run Census?
deadduck

Post by deadduck »

Enzedder wrote:Our local Labour MP arranged a public meeting via Zoom (nothing upsets yuppies and the "haves" more than having a HNZ development in their neighborhood). 700 families logged in so surely electioneering can be done online with open meetings.

Zoom meetings by definition restrict access to those with internet. Running an election like that would be undemocratic because you are deliberately excluding people.

That is the heart of the issue. Democratic elections should be free and fair. If there is a national or local lockdown that continues through the campaign period then that has the potential to disadvantage some candidates and parties. In this case it would be unethical to continue with the election as that would no doubt advantage the incumbents.

I opposed delaying the election in the past when we first went into lockdown, but that was March. Now we are just weeks away. If Auckland is still at level 3 within 4 weeks of the election, it really should be pushed back.
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

BlueThunder wrote:
Dark wrote:

MPs can't even door knock. A lot of people won't be able to vote, and Labour with zero policy get to do a half hour long party political broadcast every day.

There is literally no ability for any other party to promote themselves while we are in lock down.

Unless they do an amazing job of containing this outbreak things could be far worse by November. There is never going to be an ideal time to hold the election.

The spotlight can be beneficial but only if you're doing a good job, if things go badly the last place Arden would want to be is on TV being scrutinised daily.

Maybe MOE officials could hold the announcements and Jacinda take media questions behind closed doors.

At any rate challenging circumstances require innovative solutions, electioneering during lockdown could be a good indication of how parties deal with challenging and unprecedented circumstances.
Shouldn't the kid who wrote this be at school?
Gordon Bennett

Post by Gordon Bennett »

Dark wrote:

Yes

So, a census run in March 2018 that didn't go well is the fault of the government who'd been in power a whole 6 months by then. You know, it takes a bit more than 6 months to organise a census. The decision to go fully digital was made pre-September 2017. That's without going into why Stats NZ underspent their own budget for the Census.
JB1981

Post by JB1981 »

brat wrote:Booji boy..yes I know

I was assuming they would have a similar protocol for workers but the only vague info I can find is that they are testing workers based on being symptomatic, but not sure if that’s accurate
This is from last week. It is saying that workers could get tested if they chose and that the Minister was open to the idea of regular testing, but based on this (if accurate) there was no testing regime in place.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/national/politics ... -ministers
Experts who have been modelling the spread of the virus have warned the Government that, like in Victoria, the most likely scenario of the virus spreading into the community was through staff from the facilities.

Minister Megan Woods on Friday confirmed she's open to the idea of testing all staff at the facilities weekly.
RuggaBugga

Post by RuggaBugga »

Dark wrote:
Enzedder wrote:I wonder if the polls could stay open for a week to spread the demand. Also, JuCo has come out against postal voting when that is a logical solution - anyone know why?

Probably because they won't get a chance to launch any campaign before a national election.

I get you think parties getting daily national pedestals, while the other parties get zilch heading into an election is great.

More open minded people don't
Look at this open minded guy. Truly a beacon of truth in these dark times.

:lol:
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

The idea that an election can’t be held because parties can’t get involved in electioneering deserves scrutiny.

They can manage without door knocking. They can present policies to the public through agreement with national media. Publish your policies, provide a vehicle for questions and present your case.

Like a shitload of other issues thrown up to oppose policy related to managing the pandemic, the ‘normal’ or ‘usual’ way of doing things isn’t possible. Denying that is idiotic. Finding alternatives isn’t just a talking point, it’s essential.
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

Gordon Bennett wrote:
Dark wrote:

Yes

So, a census run in March 2018 that didn't go well is the fault of the government who'd been in power a whole 6 months by then. You know, it takes a bit more than 6 months to organise a census. The decision to go fully digital was made pre-September 2017. That's without going into why Stats NZ underspent their own budget for the Census.

Strange that Dork doesn't want it. I would have thought it would be better for the Nats than the Coalition. If my council can do it with no hassles, I am certain the electoral commission can do it for the country
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

guy smiley wrote:The idea that an election can’t be held because parties can’t get involved in electioneering deserves scrutiny.

They can manage without door knocking. They can present policies to the public through agreement with national media. Publish your policies, provide a vehicle for questions and present your case.

Like a shitload of other issues thrown up to oppose policy related to managing the pandemic, the ‘normal’ or ‘usual’ way of doing things isn’t possible. Denying that is idiotic. Finding alternatives isn’t just a talking point, it’s essential.

Hear hear - and if a party cannot adjust to do that, do they deserve to be within a country mile of Parliament anyway
RuggaBugga

Post by RuggaBugga »

Gordon Bennett wrote:
Dark wrote:

Yes

Yeah but no but yeah but
deadduck

Post by deadduck »

guy smiley wrote:The idea that an election can’t be held because parties can’t get involved in electioneering deserves scrutiny.

We already have enough problems in NZ with the mainstream media denying a platform to minor parties not to mention parties not currently in Parliament. How do you think it will go any better for individual electoral candidates?

No MP or party has an automatic entitlement to be in parliament for the next term. The results of the 2017 election count for precisely zero in 2020.
That's why it's vital for a healthy democracy that every single person and party running for parliament this election can do so without interference or inhibition from the current government, it makes no difference whether they are Labour, National or Advance NZ
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

deadduck wrote:

We already have enough problems in NZ with the mainstream media denying a platform to minor parties not to mention parties not currently in Parliament. How do you think it will go any better for individual electoral candidates?

No MP or party has an automatic entitlement to be in parliament for the next term. The results of the 2017 election count for precisely zero in 2020.
That's why it's vital for a healthy democracy that every single person and party running for parliament this election can do so without interference or inhibition from the current government, it makes no difference whether they are Labour, National or Advance NZ
Sure. It just can’t be done. No way.

Impossible.

Absolutely zero chance.

There is no way the motorcar will ever take over from the horse and buggy, either.

Here’s an idea DD. Exercise special powers and enforce media obligation to provide a fair and equitable platform for all parties. A central party manifesto presented to the nation by the nation’s media, along with a scaled down version for local candidates and parties.
RuggaBugga

Post by RuggaBugga »

Can you imagine the scene these chumps would be making if Labour were proposing to delay the election.
BlueThunder

Post by BlueThunder »

So what happens if they delay it and there is another outbreak or we haven't quashed this one? I'm all for Labour to govern indefinitely but was hoping they could ditch Winston.
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

Strong rumours flying about re new cases in the tron and Christchurch. If so (and the source is said to be reliable but this is about 4th hand), then surely this is level 4.
kiweez

Post by kiweez »

Enzedder wrote:Strong rumours flying about re new cases in the tron and Christchurch. If so (and the source is said to be reliable but this is about 4th hand), then surely this is level 4.
Mate. “4th hand” doesn’t make for a “strong” rumour....
sonic_attack

Post by sonic_attack »

My community here Glen Eden throws up a case too. Makes sense to give everyone a bit of room when you're out and be out for necessities only for a while.
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

kiweez wrote:
Enzedder wrote:Strong rumours flying about re new cases in the tron and Christchurch. If so (and the source is said to be reliable but this is about 4th hand), then surely this is level 4.
Yeah, I got that. Source is DHB and would know though. I am not spraying it much and then with the rider I put on it here.
Maniototo Man

Post by Maniototo Man »

Enzedder wrote:
kiweez wrote:
Yeah, I got that. Source is DHB and would know though. I am not spraying it much and then with the rider I put on it here.
Cases outside of isolation facilities?
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

Evidently. We are going to plan for it with the thoughts that it is easy to carry on with the status quo if the rumour is false.
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

BlueThunder wrote:
brat wrote:
Dark wrote:

I got tested today, it ain’t pleasant at all. I seem to remember there was also an issue over whether they could legally make people take tests. I think they are walking a fine line.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

You’re leaping at shadows here...

Like health workers, immigration will rely on PPE for task and test where needed.
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

3 sources now (latest one straight from DHB here) - bank on it. Level 4 here we come
Monkey Magic

Post by Monkey Magic »

Enzedder wrote:3 sources now (latest one straight from DHB here) - bank on it. Level 4 here we come
No chance of level 3 for few weeks?
shanky

Post by shanky »

Kiwias wrote:
BlueThunder wrote:
Dark wrote:

Maybe MOE officials could hold the announcements and Jacinda take media questions behind closed doors.

Shouldn't the kid who wrote this be at school?
Good point. I think Japostles sounds better