NZ Politics Thread

All things Rugby
obelixtim

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by obelixtim »

Hareaway wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:16 am Sir David Attenborough for me
Sir David Rabbitborough.

Always remember the skit on Comedy Company. Col'n Carpenter, Kylie Mole, Con the Fruiterer, Uncle Arthur and co.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlqmWcdnZnk
Salient

Post by Salient »

Hareaway wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:56 am Not sure I will cast my party vote ...

I’m in the new Southland electorate

The labour candidate would have got my vote but he spends his days trawling Facebook commenting on anything... seriously .

The National party candidate is a lawyer from Queenstown... yah just what parliament needs ... :| He should win by a heap so won’t bother

2 yes votes though so will make the drive on Saturday
So you aren't voting?
deadduck

Post by deadduck »

Muttonbirds wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:12 am Research help. I was trying to find out how many times John Key was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize. Internet came up with nothing.

You have would have found out that now being a two-time loser, Ardern is in such esteemed company as Donald Trump, Vladimir Putin and Josef Stalin.
usermame

Post by usermame »

deadduck wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:44 am
Muttonbirds wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:12 am Research help. I was trying to find out how many times John Key was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize. Internet came up with nothing.
You have would have found out that now being a two-time loser, Ardern is in such esteemed company as Donald Trump, Vladimir Putin and Josef Stalin.
Really? You must have a good source.
Neither the names of nominators nor of nominees for the Nobel Peace Prize may be divulged until 50 years have elapsed.
https://www.nobelpeaceprize.org/Nomination
deadduck

Post by deadduck »

We know about Trump and Putin's nominations for the same reason we know about Ardern's, and Stalin died almost 70 years ago.
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

It's only a matter of time before Ardern receives a knighthood, and we can expect to hear mixed reactions down political lines about the merit of political leaders receiving such a title.
tubbyj

Post by tubbyj »

The labour candidate would have got my vote but he spends his days trawling Facebook commenting on anything... seriously .

The National party candidate is a lawyer from Queenstown... yah just what parliament needs ... :| He should win by a heap so won’t bother

Similar I live in Ilam the safest National seat in NZ. They could pretty much put up a goat and it would win, which incidentally they have with Gerry Brownlie. I will still vote though.

As a longterm Labour supporter I am apprehensive about a Green/Labour coalition government. I would be happier if National supporters were more pragmatic and switched their vote to NZ First, the lesser of two evils for them, so Labour could go with them for a more centrist government.

The damage to Labour of a three year term with the ideological driven removed from reality leftists that are the Greens could see a pendulum swing to the extreme right with a National/and a large Act party contingent coalition returned in 2023, especially if Jacinda Ardern heads off to lead the UN. The damage socially and economically to NZ of two terms of extreme left then extreme right ideologically driven Governments believing themselves justified by the massive debt we have suddenly accumulated, could be extensive and hard to reverse short term, maybe even worse than what happened in the 80s and 90s.

NZ First and Winston Peters have actually done a good job over the last few decades providing a centrist coalition party that has allowed both major parties to avoid being held to ransom by the extremes but it seems he is going to be punished for it at this election.
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

Your use of the word extreme to describe anything political in NZ is extreme.
Eugenius

Post by Eugenius »

tubbyj wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:16 pm

Similar I live in Ilam the safest National seat in NZ. They could pretty much put up a goat and it would win, which incidentally they have with Gerry Brownlie. I will still vote though.

As a longterm Labour supporter I am apprehensive about a Green/Labour coalition government. I would be happier if National supporters were more pragmatic and switched their vote to NZ First, the lesser of two evils for them, so Labour could go with them for a more centrist government.

The damage to Labour of a three year term with the ideological driven removed from reality leftists that are the Greens could see a pendulum swing to the extreme right with a National/and a large Act party contingent coalition returned in 2023, especially if Jacinda Ardern heads off to lead the UN. The damage socially and economically to NZ of two terms of extreme left then extreme right ideologically driven Governments believing themselves justified by the massive debt we have suddenly accumulated, could be extensive and hard to reverse short term, maybe even worse than what happened in the 80s and 90s.

NZ First and Winston Peters have actually done a good job over the last few decades providing a centrist coalition party that has allowed both major parties to avoid being held to ransom by the extremes but it seems he is going to be punished for it at this election.

I’m a Red /Green voter this election , and I can’t see it throwing up anything remotely ‘extreme’ .

For me it’s the only way NZ has a chance at being a social democracy and I’m all about that .

Winston was too heavy handed and wounded the Government by blocking more than a few of Labour’s promises . He’s over stepped and done himself in .

Ardern won’t skate , and will win the next election too albeit in a close one .
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

There's nothing remotely extreme about the Greens, unless you're a farmer who's been skull-fucking the local river from pasture to sea.
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

Well, we could have a 'first' if the Greens form part of the next government (happy to be corrected if wrong). People are a bit fearful because of it. We'll see what cards are dealt, and how they're played over the next month I guess.
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

Muttonbirds wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:12 am There's nothing remotely extreme about the Greens, unless you're a farmer who's been skull-fucking the local river from pasture to sea.
But cities skullfuck the harbours so she's tit for tat eh?

re the Greens - with Shaw there I think things will be quite reasonable. I wonder if those who were against CGT wish they had shut-up now.
Dark

Post by Dark »

Just heard the Nobel Prize news

Shame for Ardern, as she was probably counting on it.

I guess the judges, just looked at all her failed promises.

Never mind. She is in good company with Trump and others to have failed miserably.

Any word on whether she has put a protest in on not winning?
brat

Post by brat »

Enzedder wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:54 am
Muttonbirds wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:12 am There's nothing remotely extreme about the Greens, unless you're a farmer who's been skull-fucking the local river from pasture to sea.

re the Greens - with Shaw there I think things will be quite reasonable. I wonder if those who were against CGT wish they had shut-up now.
Yep it always the farmers getting the shit from the urbanites -and they seem totally oblivious to the damage they are doing to the environment themselves just by existing
Dark

Post by Dark »

Ask the person Ardern picked as her Deputy PM.
Eugenius

Post by Eugenius »

brat wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:42 am

Yep it always the farmers getting the shit from the urbanites -and they seem totally oblivious to the damage they are doing to the environment themselves just by existing

Both groups need to seriously up their game .

I don’t think the Greens argue otherwise .

Not been able to swim in the rivers is a big giveaway though , according to the farmers everything’s peachy now ( except for a very few ) and they don’t need more regulations .

How come the rivers are still unswimmable?
Dark

Post by Dark »

Eugenius wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:54 am
brat wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:42 am

Both groups need to seriously up their game .

I don’t think the Greens argue otherwise .

Not been able to swim in the rivers is a big giveaway though , according to the farmers everything’s peachy now ( except for a very few ) and they don’t need more regulations .

How come the rivers are still unswimmable?

Maybe should be asking why the urban rivers and beaches are so shit. Literally, before going on about others
Eugenius

Post by Eugenius »

Not having to read Darks mindless replies is such a luxury .

I throughly recommend the ignore button .

And to make it even more attractive he ‘really doesn’t give a shit anyway ‘ if you do it .
Dark

Post by Dark »

Eugenius wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:13 am Not having to read Darks mindless replies is such a luxury .

And to make it even more attractive he ‘really doesn’t give a shit anyway ‘ if you do it .
I don't blame you.

It saves you from answering questions.
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

Eugenius wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:13 am Not having to read Darks mindless replies is such a luxury .

I've had both him and his girlfriend on ignore for months. I can't be arsed reading two immature 12 year olds trying to 'one up' each other and get the last word. Mindless drivel.
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

Oh yeah, massive differences between the two but you can use the polluters' argument if you want. :roll:
Begbie

Post by Begbie »

https://www.mfe.govt.nz/publications/fr ... stry-areas

Cities make up 1 percent of nz river length but I’m firmly in the camp we all have to do our bit.
Dark

Post by Dark »

Muttonbirds wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:06 am
Oh yeah, massive differences between the two but you can use the polluters' argument if you want. :roll:
Why is there a massive difference between the two apart from farmers are trying to help and urban people in Auckland don't give a shit?
Adrianmole

Post by Adrianmole »

Begbie wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:21 am https://www.mfe.govt.nz/publications/fr ... stry-areas

Cities make up 1 percent of nz river length but I’m firmly in the camp we all have to do our bit.
And are all highly regulated and have been for 50 od dyears. The rural sector is just trying to play catchup. The NES-FM is a step in the right direction in terms of intent but in the haste to get legislation settled in a 3 year election cycle has resulted in a FUBAR imo.
usermame

Post by usermame »

So, are people hanging on to their 'democracy pen'?
JB1981

Post by JB1981 »

usermame wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:57 am So, are people hanging on to their 'democracy pen'?
Safely tucked in the glovebox. It will come in handy next time I forget a loved one’s birthday and need to fill in a supermarket bought card on my way to visit :thumbup:.
deadduck

Post by deadduck »

usermame wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:57 am So, are people hanging on to their 'democracy pen'?

When i voted I was handed the box of pens and ended up touching 5 or 6 trying to get one out as they were all jammed in there.

But at least the symbolism was there. It's the thought that counts.
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

Dark wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:25 am
Muttonbirds wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:06 am
Why is there a massive difference between the two apart from farmers are trying to help and urban people in Auckland don't give a shit?
A couple are that farmers pollute for profit, and that urban issues are due to ageing infrastructure which is not in direct control of residents.
jambanja

Post by jambanja »

Sorry, the same Shaw who is so ideologically opposed to private schools that he gave a private school 11 million, that Shaw?
brat

Post by brat »

Adrianmole wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:19 am
Begbie wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:21 am https://www.mfe.govt.nz/publications/fr ... stry-areas

And are all highly regulated and have been for 50 od dyears. The rural sector is just trying to play catchup. The NES-FM is a step in the right direction in terms of intent but in the haste to get legislation settled in a 3 year election cycle has resulted in a FUBAR imo.
Maybe highly regulated but also ineffective -especially with big rainfalls

Many Auckland beaches are unswimmable as a direct result of the surrounding population and inadequate infrastructure

The reality is it’s hypocritical for urbanites you take the moral high ground on this matter -we are all polluters to a certain extent and the urbanites are happy to consume the farmers products and then flush them down the toilet

Farmers have made tremendous changes to their practice and should generally be applauded- we are all in this together
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

jambanja wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:09 pm

Sorry, the same Shaw who is so ideologically opposed to private schools that he gave a private school 11 million, that Shaw?
Yeah, the Shaw who made a mistake and, for the first time ever in NZ Politics, owned up to it and apologised.
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

brat wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:24 pm

Many Auckland beaches are unswimmable as a direct result of the surrounding population and inadequate infrastructure

The reality is it’s hypocritical for urbanites you take the moral high ground on this matter -we are all polluters to a certain extent and the urbanites are happy to consume the farmers products and then flush them down the toilet

Farmers have made tremendous changes to their practice and should generally be applauded- we are all in this together
That's my position as well. City councils cannot afford to clean up their act (representing their constituents) but we expect the farmers to do it whether they can afford to or not.
Eugenius

Post by Eugenius »

Enzedder wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:48 pm
jambanja wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:09 pm

Yeah, the Shaw who made a mistake and, for the first time ever in NZ Politics, owned up to it and apologised.

It was a doozy but ...

Yes it was refreshing that he actually admits doing the wrong thing and actually apologised !
Begbie

Post by Begbie »

brat wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:24 pm

Agreed. We are and we all need to our bit. I notice some of the comments on here imply that ALL farmers are making changes and this is not quite right. I can take you to a few farms here in the wairarapa and you’d be shocked. So there’s plenty to do on the rural and urban side.
Adrianmole

Post by Adrianmole »

The Dairy sector being the most industrialised form of pasture farming has had the most attention from regulators, especially with effluent management in and around the yard and shed with subsequent disposal. However the real Very Large Friesian in the room is the degree of mass landing of soluble N to the shallow groundwater past the root zone with the stocking rates in the paddock that are now required to get the production levels needed to pay the bank loans and other inputs get the production to get the income to enable a bank loan to pay for the irrigator and holding pond.....you get the picture of a mouse wheel....

it is a difficult situation given the Capital expenditure required to get into Dairying and the reg and health requirements to maintain a modicum of green food production profile for overseas customers. if we don't then the large overseas land holdings will swamp us in the commodity markets as we just become another player selling low valued product to Asia.
deadduck

Post by deadduck »

James Shaw apologising for his blatant hypocrisy and cronyism is hardly laudable, it's the bare minimum we should expect.
Even more so as someone from a party who so often puts themselves on the moral high ground.
Not apologising could have seen a repeat of last election's Metiria Turei moment and with the Greens already in such a precarious position it would have seen them out of parliament altogether.
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

Made my votes today. If you don't vote, don't complain about the buggers.
Dark

Post by Dark »

Tehui wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:59 am Made my votes today. If you don't vote, don't complain about the buggers.
Same actually.

Was needing a haircut so did it at the same time.

Referendum bit was the hardest tbh

Voted one yes one no.
usermame

Post by usermame »

deadduck wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:27 pm
When i voted I was handed the box of pens and ended up touching 5 or 6 trying to get one out as they were all jammed in there.

As long as you managed to avoid sanitising your hands...
Dark

Post by Dark »

usermame wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:46 am
deadduck wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:27 pm

As long as you managed to avoid sanitising your hands...

Didn't have a choice not to in the place I went.

Was quite funny. Sanitised and then went to give the pen out of the box back and got looked at like I was trying to infect the world.