NZ Politics Thread

All things Rugby
User avatar
Enzedder
Posts: 20054
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by Enzedder »

Monkey Magic wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:11 pm
Dark wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:14 am
brat wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:09 am
Enzedder wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:04 pm Having listened to a large number of interviews and speeches over the last month, I can say that there was only 2 people who impressed me.

One was Seymour but I could never agree to his policies (but he can sell them well).

The one guy I would cross the floor for if selected would be Shane Reti. I think integrity is his middle name
Agree

Reti especially is well spoken- would like to see him looking at leadership (intelligent articulate/no baggage) -but it may not be his thing
This is one of the things that annoy me about us, (but maybe everywhere) Politicians from different sides refuse to work together, even if it is about things like health or child abuse etc.

I get whoever is currently in charge want to be seen to be the ones sorting it, but there are assets on both sides being wasted because of egos.
Even more frustrating given the lack of depth in all the parties. We need to be making the most of everyone's skills to fix these major issues. But it doesn't happen enough because 'other side bad'
Amen to that. Dark makes much more sense when he stops electioneering.
User avatar
Dark
Posts: 6171
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 2:38 am
Location: NZ

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by Dark »

Mr Mike wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:15 pm
Dark wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:49 pm
Muttonbirds wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:40 pm
tubbyj wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:14 pm If you open the door to the state and doctors killing people and breaking the Hippocratic oath then we are slippery path to Eugenics. John Key already signaling where it will eventually head mentioning Alzheimer's, a group who don't currently meet the criteria but once the door is partly open.

Sad to hear it is likely to pass. The irony of everything we have been been through with Covid to save mainly the elderly and weak only for people to vote for them to be euthanized is huge IMO.
Key can't have read the Act if he thinks Alzheimer's qualifies. His main objective will have been to apply his brand to the yes vote. Disgraceful behaviour.

Most vulnerable people will have euthanasia 'suggested' to them by family. Coercion by its very nature is invisible and the doctors who stand to profit from it will not be looking very hard.
I am beginning to find one of the most irritating things in the world are people that just spout shit without having actually read the bill/act they are talking about.

Mainly I mean you Muttonbirds, but by the sounds, probably Key too.
I thought Tubby was pretty clear that Key was speculating where he thought it would go rather than being there now.
TBF if he is referring to the debate I saw, Key ust wanted a more dignified way to die.

But from what he said she wouldn't qualify
User avatar
Dark
Posts: 6171
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 2:38 am
Location: NZ

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by Dark »

Dark wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:28 pm
Mr Mike wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:15 pm
Dark wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:49 pm
Muttonbirds wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:40 pm
tubbyj wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:14 pm If you open the door to the state and doctors killing people and breaking the Hippocratic oath then we are slippery path to Eugenics. John Key already signaling where it will eventually head mentioning Alzheimer's, a group who don't currently meet the criteria but once the door is partly open.

Sad to hear it is likely to pass. The irony of everything we have been been through with Covid to save mainly the elderly and weak only for people to vote for them to be euthanized is huge IMO.
Key can't have read the Act if he thinks Alzheimer's qualifies. His main objective will have been to apply his brand to the yes vote. Disgraceful behaviour.

Most vulnerable people will have euthanasia 'suggested' to them by family. Coercion by its very nature is invisible and the doctors who stand to profit from it will not be looking very hard.
I am beginning to find one of the most irritating things in the world are people that just spout shit without having actually read the bill/act they are talking about.

Mainly I mean you Muttonbirds, but by the sounds, probably Key too.
I thought Tubby was pretty clear that Key was speculating where he thought it would go rather than being there now.
TBF if he is referring to the debate I saw, Key just wanted a more dignified way for his mum to die as were her own wishes.

But from what he said she wouldn't qualify
tubbyj
Posts: 1148
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by tubbyj »

Just went and voted.

On the walk back I got curious on the number who voted last time and whether there will be an increase due to the high availability of early voting and the referendum issues.

Wikipedia says Around 3.57 million people were registered to vote in the 2017 election, with 2.63 million (79.8%) turning out. Advance voting proved popular, with 1.24 million votes cast before election day, more than the previous two elections combined.

So 2.63 million voted last time on a population of 4.794 million. 54.86% voted, not an impressive figure.

The estimated resident population is provisionally 5,002,100 at 31 March 2020 according to Stats NZ. Hopefully at least 3 million vote but it is probably unlikely.
User avatar
Muttonbirds
Posts: 1631
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:22 am
Location: Aotearoa

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by Muttonbirds »

tubbyj wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:36 pm Just went and voted.

On the walk back I got curious on the number who voted last time and whether there will be an increase due to the high availability of early voting and the referendum issues.

Wikipedia says Around 3.57 million people were registered to vote in the 2017 election, with 2.63 million (79.8%) turning out. Advance voting proved popular, with 1.24 million votes cast before election day, more than the previous two elections combined.

So 2.63 million voted last time on a population of 4.794 million. 54.86% voted, not an impressive figure.

The estimated resident population is provisionally 5,002,100 at 31 March 2020 according to Stats NZ. Hopefully at least 3 million vote but it is probably unlikely.
It's expected 2 million will have already voted by last night.
User avatar
Fat Old Git
Posts: 21143
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: A vacant lot next to a pile of rubble

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by Fat Old Git »

I'm off to vote soon. Have two polling stations within an easy walk, one only a few hundred meters away. Will take the dog with us so he can have a run around on the school playing field afterwards.

Feeling very lucky to be living somewhere with a reasonably well run election system after seeing the issues in the states and the discussions on the Trump thread.
User avatar
Ali's Choice
Posts: 28859
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Queensland

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by Ali's Choice »

Fat Old Git wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:07 am I'm off to vote soon. Have two polling stations within an easy walk, one only a few hundred meters away. Will take the dog with us so he can have a run around on the school playing field afterwards.

Feeling very lucky to be living somewhere with a reasonably well run election system after seeing the issues in the states and the discussions on the Trump thread.
yep, enjoy not having to wait in line for 10-12 hours to vote, whilst being threatened and menaced by open carry white supremacist nutters. America the Great my arse.
User avatar
Dark
Posts: 6171
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 2:38 am
Location: NZ

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by Dark »

Fat Old Git wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:07 am I'm off to vote soon. Have two polling stations within an easy walk, one only a few hundred meters away. Will take the dog with us so he can have a run around on the school playing field afterwards.

Feeling very lucky to be living somewhere with a reasonably well run election system after seeing the issues in the states and the discussions on the Trump thread.
Agree totally

But we also live in a place where half the media refer to our PM when reporting, by her first name, which never happened with Key or Clark. So I think we while politics wise it's fine, the current media bias is bollocks.
User avatar
Ali's Choice
Posts: 28859
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Queensland

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by Ali's Choice »

So who will be crying at the end of the night, Dark or Muttonbirds?
User avatar
Fat Old Git
Posts: 21143
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: A vacant lot next to a pile of rubble

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by Fat Old Git »

I think that said more about the PM's personal style than it does about the media.

I think our media are often useless, failing to do in-depth investigations or analysis, or to ask and persist with the difficult questions such as "how will that actually work". But both sides of the political spectrum seem to feel it's biased against their side, so I suspect it's mostly an unbiased form of useless. With a few notable exceptions on both sides.
User avatar
guy smiley
Posts: 32996
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: in transit

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by guy smiley »

I voted yesterday, in Adelaide. Showed up at the Electoral Commission office, gave my details and they produced my local voting paper within seconds.

Thank you for making that happen Jacinda 🙏❤️💃
User avatar
UncleFB
Posts: 13092
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by UncleFB »

guy smiley wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:43 am I voted yesterday, in Adelaide. Showed up at the Electoral Commission office, gave my details and they produced my local voting paper within seconds.

Thank you for making that happen Jacinda 🙏❤️💃
There was no office for me to do that in Sydney. :x
User avatar
guy smiley
Posts: 32996
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: in transit

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by guy smiley »

UncleFB wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:54 am
guy smiley wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:43 am I voted yesterday, in Adelaide. Showed up at the Electoral Commission office, gave my details and they produced my local voting paper within seconds.

Thank you for making that happen Jacinda 🙏❤️💃
There was no office for me to do that in Sydney. :x
Bloody Gladys.
User avatar
Dark
Posts: 6171
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 2:38 am
Location: NZ

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by Dark »

Ali's Choice wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:17 am So who will be crying at the end of the night, Dark or Muttonbirds?
Neither

I already know Ardern will walk it. Have said it for months, and don't particularly care for Collin's.
User avatar
Monkey Magic
Posts: 550
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by Monkey Magic »

Quick vote at one of the three polling stations within a 2min drive from my house.

No lines at all, only issue was the guy giving me the papers told me to put my purple vote paper in the grey box... thankfully they are clearly labeled on the way out.

After reading some of the stuff on the Trump thread and seeing lines for early voting, I'm bloody glad we have elections run by an independent body who's major focus is on running a smooth election
User avatar
Dark
Posts: 6171
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 2:38 am
Location: NZ

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by Dark »

Having said that it would be funny as hell if she lost though.

Chuck in a Trump win later and the woke would have a simultaneous triggered reaction/micro aggression induced trauma the world has never seen before.
User avatar
Monkey Magic
Posts: 550
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by Monkey Magic »

Dark wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:17 am Having said that it would be funny as hell if she lost though.

Chuck in a Trump win later and the woke would have a simultaneous triggered reaction/micro aggression induced trauma the world has never seen before.
Only way I can see it is if the greens don't make it and Winnie does, which seems unlikely by itself. You'd still then need Winnie to cosy up and work with Act which would be interesting
User avatar
Dark
Posts: 6171
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 2:38 am
Location: NZ

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by Dark »

Monkey Magic wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:24 am
Dark wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:17 am Having said that it would be funny as hell if she lost though.

Chuck in a Trump win later and the woke would have a simultaneous triggered reaction/micro aggression induced trauma the world has never seen before.
Only way I can see it is if the greens don't make it and Winnie does, which seems unlikely by itself. You'd still then need Winnie to cosy up and work with Act which would be interesting
Yeah.

Think Winston is gone burger though.

Even if the Greens die, their allocation of votes spread round should put Labour in.

Just will be interesting to see what the 15 or so % of undecideds do, presuming they bother voting.
User avatar
Wignu
Posts: 1655
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:20 am
Location: From the Hutt bro.

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by Wignu »

Just voted as well, no queue straight in & out and they even told me the correct boxes to put the ballots in. Got a free pen as the icing on top, man democracy's awesome :lol:
User avatar
Dark
Posts: 6171
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 2:38 am
Location: NZ

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by Dark »

Wignu wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:33 am Just voted as well, no queue straight in & out and they even told me the correct boxes to put the ballots in. Got a free pen as the icing on top, man democracy's awesome :lol:
Hate to break it to you, and this is just a rumour I heard, once, from someone down the pub, and I don't want to cause friction or panic.

The pens apparently have microchips Ardern has ordered to be put in them that are designed in such a way that if you put them in a pocket they infiltrate your skin through most materials and make their way to your cerebral cortex.

The chip then takes over your mind and tells the rest of your body to throw the left over plastic into your nearest river, so the Ardern can tax cleaning them all up,
User avatar
Wignu
Posts: 1655
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:20 am
Location: From the Hutt bro.

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by Wignu »

Is fine, just wrapped it in tin foil I 'happened' to have with me for an eventuality such as that.
Adrianmole
Posts: 717
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by Adrianmole »

Dark wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:16 am
Fat Old Git wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:07 am I'm off to vote soon. Have two polling stations within an easy walk, one only a few hundred meters away. Will take the dog with us so he can have a run around on the school playing field afterwards.

Feeling very lucky to be living somewhere with a reasonably well run election system after seeing the issues in the states and the discussions on the Trump thread.
Agree totally

But we also live in a place where half the media refer to our PM when reporting, by her first name, which never happened with Key or Clark. So I think we while politics wise it's fine, the current media bias is bollocks.

The sexism displayed by mainstream Media and in particular social media pundits is gob smackinly offensive. An attempt to belittle and infantilise the PM due to the fact she is not grey, crusty and not owner of a shrivelled todger denies her the respectful address her role should bestow.
Adrianmole
Posts: 717
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by Adrianmole »

Voted last weekend and it was a breeze with minimal queues and clear instructions provided by the volunteer who sat behind the desk.

When you think about what occurs in other countries and what passes for representation NZ is truely GodZone Country
User avatar
Dark
Posts: 6171
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 2:38 am
Location: NZ

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by Dark »

Adrianmole wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:09 am
Dark wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:16 am
Fat Old Git wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:07 am I'm off to vote soon. Have two polling stations within an easy walk, one only a few hundred meters away. Will take the dog with us so he can have a run around on the school playing field afterwards.

Feeling very lucky to be living somewhere with a reasonably well run election system after seeing the issues in the states and the discussions on the Trump thread.
Agree totally

But we also live in a place where half the media refer to our PM when reporting, by her first name, which never happened with Key or Clark. So I think we while politics wise it's fine, the current media bias is bollocks.

The sexism displayed by mainstream Media and in particular social media pundits is gob smackinly offensive. An attempt to belittle and infantilise the PM due to the fact she is not grey, crusty and not owner of a shrivelled todger denies her the respectful address her role should bestow.
I doubt Helen Clark has a shrivelled todger, and Ardern is now old enough to be a grandmother, so the young newbie thing lost it's impact a wee while ago.
User avatar
Fat Old Git
Posts: 21143
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: A vacant lot next to a pile of rubble

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by Fat Old Git »

Voted. And seemed to have had the same experience as most. No lines and super simple to do. And only a 2 to 3 minute walk from my house.

A big thumbs up to Electoral Commission. :thumbup:
Adrianmole
Posts: 717
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by Adrianmole »

They must tag them young in your circle if being 40 yr old Grandmother is not unusual.

The puerile references to Cindy is mindless misogyny but you get that with social media mainly. The overly familiar references to Jacinda by reputedly mainstream pundits sources is a milder form of that but equally offensive.

Needs to be more matronly like Collins to avoid the putdowns.
User avatar
Ghost-Of-Nepia
Posts: 4226
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by Ghost-Of-Nepia »

Voted at a church in Wadestown around lunchtime. Didn't pop in for a prayer afterwards.

David Cunliffe was in the line behind us. I wonder which way he voted... he was in the line for special votes and I'm sure I heard him mutter "I'm sorry for being a special voter"...
User avatar
deadduck
Posts: 6164
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Vandean Coast

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by deadduck »

Fat Old Git wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:22 am Voted. And seemed to have had the same experience as most. No lines and super simple to do. And only a 2 to 3 minute walk from my house.

A big thumbs up to Electoral Commission. :thumbup:

Tell us what we want to know.

How many pens did you take?
Adrianmole
Posts: 717
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by Adrianmole »

Fat Old Git wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:22 am Voted. And seemed to have had the same experience as most. No lines and super simple to do. And only a 2 to 3 minute walk from my house.

A big thumbs up to Electoral Commission. :thumbup:
Very painless process here in NZ. Not sure why it it is such a cluster in the States , with all their resources and all.

Very bizarre.
User avatar
Dark
Posts: 6171
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 2:38 am
Location: NZ

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by Dark »

Fat Old Git wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:22 am Voted. And seemed to have had the same experience as most. No lines and super simple to do. And only a 2 to 3 minute walk from my house.

A big thumbs up to Electoral Commission. :thumbup:
TBF Labour had the census they managed to f'k' up as a practice run.
User avatar
Fat Old Git
Posts: 21143
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: A vacant lot next to a pile of rubble

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by Fat Old Git »

deadduck wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:31 am
Fat Old Git wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:22 am Voted. And seemed to have had the same experience as most. No lines and super simple to do. And only a 2 to 3 minute walk from my house.

A big thumbs up to Electoral Commission. :thumbup:

Tell us what we want to know.

How many pens did you take?
I actually put mine back in the box they had available for recycling them. No way I having that thing broadcasting every word said in our house to the SIS.

;)
User avatar
Fat Old Git
Posts: 21143
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: A vacant lot next to a pile of rubble

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by Fat Old Git »

Adrianmole wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:32 am
Fat Old Git wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:22 am Voted. And seemed to have had the same experience as most. No lines and super simple to do. And only a 2 to 3 minute walk from my house.

A big thumbs up to Electoral Commission. :thumbup:
Very painless process here in NZ. Not sure why it it is such a cluster in the States , with all their resources and all.

Very bizarre.
Our electoral commission seems to focus on this crazy idea that their job is to make it easy for everyone to vote. Unlike the states where most of the focus seems to go into making it as difficult as possible to vote if you are unlikely to support whoever is in power.
User avatar
Dark
Posts: 6171
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 2:38 am
Location: NZ

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by Dark »

Fat Old Git wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:35 am
deadduck wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:31 am
Fat Old Git wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:22 am Voted. And seemed to have had the same experience as most. No lines and super simple to do. And only a 2 to 3 minute walk from my house.

A big thumbs up to Electoral Commission. :thumbup:

Tell us what we want to know.

How many pens did you take?
I actually put mine back in the box they had available for recycling them. No way I having that thing broadcasting every word said in our house to the SIS.

;)
Really?

I tried to take my one back after sanitising about three times and they just refused to take it back in the box.

Maybe I am just ugly or something
User avatar
Fat Old Git
Posts: 21143
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: A vacant lot next to a pile of rubble

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by Fat Old Git »

It wasn't the same box as the one they were handing the pens out from. I'm assuming they go off and get washed or recycled and that it doesn't just replace the box by the door when they run out.
User avatar
Dark
Posts: 6171
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 2:38 am
Location: NZ

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by Dark »

Fat Old Git wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:38 am
Adrianmole wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:32 am
Fat Old Git wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:22 am Voted. And seemed to have had the same experience as most. No lines and super simple to do. And only a 2 to 3 minute walk from my house.

A big thumbs up to Electoral Commission. :thumbup:
Very painless process here in NZ. Not sure why it it is such a cluster in the States , with all their resources and all.

Very bizarre.
Our electoral commission seems to focus on this crazy idea that their job is to make it easy for everyone to vote. Unlike the states where most of the focus seems to go into making it as difficult as possible to vote if you are unlikely to support whoever is in power.
Think it works both ways tbf there.

They are are quite happy to bus the right people in to do it, while blocking the ones they don't

It is a seriously dodgy system.

So we are indeed living in a lucky country that way wise
User avatar
Dark
Posts: 6171
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 2:38 am
Location: NZ

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by Dark »

Fat Old Git wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:42 am It wasn't the same box as the one they were handing the pens out from. I'm assuming they go off and get washed or recycled and that it doesn't just replace the box by the door when they run out.
Ahh.

Was probably me being dim as walked back to the counter.

There was probably a proper walk out bit with another box
User avatar
Jerome Manning
Posts: 470
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:14 pm

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by Jerome Manning »

What time does voting close - when do they start counting?

Results should come in pretty fast given the amount of early voters.
User avatar
JB1981
Posts: 7045
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:14 am
Location: NZ

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by JB1981 »

Jerome Manning wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:09 am What time does voting close - when do they start counting?

Results should come in pretty fast given the amount of early voters.
Polls close at 7pm.
User avatar
Dark
Posts: 6171
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 2:38 am
Location: NZ

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by Dark »

Jerome Manning wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:09 am What time does voting close - when do they start counting?

Results should come in pretty fast given the amount of early voters.
Weirdly I hear the referendum results are a week away, but that is probably a resource, priority thing.
User avatar
Tehui
Posts: 16320
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by Tehui »

tubbyj wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:14 pm The irony of everything we have been been through with Covid to save mainly the elderly and weak only for people to vote for them to be euthanized is huge IMO.
The difference though is that people would be choosing euthanasia.
Post Reply