NZ Politics Thread

All things Rugby
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by Enzedder »

Kahu wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:18 pm
tubbyj wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:52 am Should Jacinda take the Greens?

People said it was a master stroke of politics when Key did it in 2014 including parties that he didn't need to but was it. The Maoris were seen as traitors to their own people and routed in their own seats at the next election something they are still struggling to recover from. National in 2017 actually ended up with no one who wanted to form a government with them and tonight have ended up with 27% of the vote.

So was what Key did a masterstroke or a fuckign disaster. IMO Labour should go it alone. Leave the greens to rally against them for the next 3 years so they don't go the way of most small coalition partners at the next election.
Good post and I agree. The Greens while aspirational are septic.
Davidson is but I like Shaw. I think Labour could do a deal with the Greens as an insurance policy for a turncoat MP - they can still outvote them so the Greens would not be the tail wagging the dog like Winnie was
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

Santa wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:14 pm Lolz. Funny result. New Zealand will definitely get whatever it was it voted for. :thumbup:
kiap

Post by kiap »

Brabus wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:17 pm
Muttonbirds wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:10 pm
Brabus wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:54 pm Well WA the NT and QLD are just as safe as NZ. Treating a continent like a city is taking caution to the extreme.
WA has heaps of cases right now. Who the fudge travels from NT to NZ, ever? QLD can stay where they are, thanks. :lol:
You sir are the very definition of a useful idiot.
Mutton is a mod-protected species.

WA has bugger all current cases. As seen in the top graph following, all are overseas arrivals in quarantine (same as NZ), and numbering 27 in the last 2 weeks (which is fewer than NZ).

But it is the bottom graph, local transmission, that is the real indicator. That's at 5 cases in 6 months, compared to hundreds in NZ...

Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

Don't respond to Mutton with facts - the accepted response is to use scorn.
AD345

Post by AD345 »

Huh

Even though National won 26 electorates outright, plus a win each for Act, Greens and the Maori party, Labour had a majority in the party vote in all but 5 electorates across the country.

Including Papakura...
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

AD345 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:32 pm Huh

Even though National won 26 electorates outright, plus a win each for Act, Greens and the Maori party, Labour had a majority in the party vote in all but 5 electorates across the country.

Including Papakura...
For those overseas people not familiar with MMP, what this means is that the majority of people in Judith Collins own electorate were ok with her staying as electorate MP but most wanted Jacinda to be the PM. This is humiliating for Collins.
puku

Post by puku »

Auckman wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:35 pm

Including Papakura...
For those overseas people not familiar with MMP, what this means is that the majority of people in Judith Collins own electorate were ok with her staying as electorate MP but most wanted Jacinda to be the PM. This is humiliating for Collins.
:thumbup:

I explained MMP to my son last night and reiterated to him this morning, that the candidate and the party vote are not always aligned. Having said that, this is nothing but humiliating for Collins.

How can she stay on as leader of the National party?
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Muttonbirds wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:23 pm
Santa wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:16 pm As far as a coalition with the Greens goes, it will be the most pointless coalition ever as the Greens have no leverage.
It will be a 76-44 Government with a huge mandate to ride roughshod over the hapless RWNJs in opposition. Literally, the people have asked for the National Party and the right wing voice to be totally crushed for at least the next 3 years.
The fair weather fans swung heavily to Labour this time. There’s some that stick like glue to a party no matter what, no amount of controversy, poor performance will sway them. Those that move depending on policy. How big is the proportion that want to be on the winning team?
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

Why is the leader of the opposition called "Crusher"?
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

puku wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:43 pm
Auckman wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:35 pm

Including Papakura...
:thumbup:

I explained MMP to my son last night and reiterated to him this morning, that the candidate and the party vote are not always aligned. Having said that, this is nothing but humiliating for Collins.

How can she stay on as leader of the National party?
TBH, I think she's probably a decent bet to stay on. It's not like there's much in the way of good options and her style will do alright in opposition. Though I wouldn't be surprised if she got rolled prior to the next election.
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

iarmhiman wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:04 pm Why is the leader of the opposition called "Crusher"?
When in govt she introduced a law resulting in the crushing the cars of people convicted of boy racer type offences.
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

Jay Cee Gee wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:08 pm
iarmhiman wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:04 pm Why is the leader of the opposition called "Crusher"?
When in govt she introduced a law resulting in the crushing the cars of people convicted of boy racer type offences.
I like that :thumbup:
tubbyj

Post by tubbyj »

So I am noticing the majority of Nat/right supporters are adapting a very similar position. The old 'doesn't worry me' 'its all water off a ducks back' then proceed to be really passive aggressive in their 'analysis' of Labour's win and quick to insult Labour supportes. It is certainly different to the normal salty tears I wonder if it is because most knew this was coming weeks ago and have been formulating this defense mechanism?
tubbyj

Post by tubbyj »

I still can't believe Gerry 'Take some personal responsibility for your weight' Brownlee lost my local seat in Ilam. Fantastic stuff from the people of Christchurch and a long time coming for him and Nick Smith. There are more than a few ignorant Nat's in the Jellie Park steam room/Sauna polluting the air with their political views on my Friday Afternoon end of week wind down when I just want to relax. One of them even called Megan Woods 'an ignorant c#*t' a few weeks which almost provoked me to say something but I swallowed my tongue.

Looking forward to this Friday and commenting what a great job Megan must have done as Christchurch campaign manager to sweep Christchurch red including our own electorate the National heartland of Ilam.
Couch

Post by Couch »

tubbyj wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:17 pm So I am noticing the majority of Nat/right supporters are adapting a very similar position. The old 'doesn't worry me' 'its all water off a ducks back' then proceed to be really passive aggressive in their 'analysis' of Labour's win and quick to insult Labour supportes. It is certainly different to the normal salty tears I wonder if it is because most knew this was coming weeks ago and have been formulating this defense mechanism?
Yet they have all benefited off the leadership of Adern indirectly via the Covid crisis. Clinging to ideals while real things are happening in the world is counter productive.
brat

Post by brat »

tubbyj wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:17 pm So I am noticing the majority of Nat/right supporters are adapting a very similar position. The old 'doesn't worry me' 'its all water off a ducks back' then proceed to be really passive aggressive in their 'analysis' of Labour's win and quick to insult Labour supportes. It is certainly different to the normal salty tears I wonder if it is because most knew this was coming weeks ago and have been formulating this defense mechanism?
You might want to look at other social media outlets to see some of the less than humble reactions from labour supporters before thinking you have any sort of moral high ground

Infact you just have to google kelvin Davis’s ‘speech’ last night- disgraceful.. and from a potential deputy pm
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

THE AUTOCORRECT AWARD

If the most embarrassing mistake you’ve ever made is typing ‘pubic’ instead of ‘public’, spare a thought for Labour who made a $140 billion blunder in their fiscal plan. Despite that, this award goes to National MP David Bennett who promised voters “lover taxes” in a newspaper ad. Typos are ducking annoying.
:lol:
brat

Post by brat »

Muttonbirds wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:13 pm
Auckman wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:01 pmJudith Collins has just done a Corbyn. She should've resigned on the spot but of course she didn't.
Collins is just a horrible, horrible person. All the kids are talking about it and if they know then it's really embedded. She should just fuck right off as soon as possible.
Actually just replacing Collins name with yours in that statement -and you would have made your first rational point on this thread
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

brat wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:44 pm
You might want to look at other social media outlets to see some of the less than humble reactions from labour supporters before thinking you have any sort of moral high ground

Infact you just have to google kelvin Davis’s ‘speech’ last night- disgraceful.. and from a potential deputy pm
He is A for average, that bloke. Robertson is a far worthier deputy PM. Davis is so ineffective.
tubbyj

Post by tubbyj »

Moral high ground? :lol: No one is claiming moral high ground.

Anyone who has followed NZ politics before Jacinda came along knows there is no moral high ground. You support a party where Gerry Brownlie is the co leader, a man who called Bob Parker, the sitting Christchurch Mayor, a clown in the media. So spare us the indignation anything Davies said is tame compared to the precedent National has set over many decades.
brat

Post by brat »

tubbyj wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:00 pm Moral high ground? :lol: No one is claiming moral high ground.

Anyone who has followed NZ politics before Jacinda came along knows there is no moral high ground. You support a party where Gerry Brownlie is the co leader, a man who called Bob Parker a clown in the media. So spare us the indignation anything Davies said is tame compared to the precedent National has set over many decades.
As if to prove my point you come up with this hypocritical drivel. -you sound very salty about national

Also very sycophantic about ardern and know little of nz politics if you somehow think that Nz political morality started with ardern
brat

Post by brat »

mr bungle wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:00 pm
brat wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:44 pm

He is A for average, that bloke. Robertson is a far worthier deputy PM. Davis is so ineffective.
I think you’re being too polite about Davis- the guy is embarrassing
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

brat wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:09 pm
tubbyj wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:00 pm Moral high ground? :lol: No one is claiming moral high ground.

Anyone who has followed NZ politics before Jacinda came along knows there is no moral high ground. You support a party where Gerry Brownlie is the co leader, a man who called Bob Parker a clown in the media. So spare us the indignation anything Davies said is tame compared to the precedent National has set over many decades.
As if to prove my point you come up with this hypocritical drivel. -you sound very salty about national

Also very sycophantic about ardern and know little of nz politics if you somehow think that Nz political morality started with ardern
"Well timed baby". :lol:
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

iarmhiman wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:10 pm
Jay Cee Gee wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:08 pm
I like that :thumbup:
I am not 100% sure but I think a grand total of 3 cars were crushed
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

I do hope that Kelvin Davis shot himself in the foot last night.

James Shaw for Deputy PM (pipe dream) or Grant Robertson please.
brat

Post by brat »

Muttonbirds wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:20 pm

You really are pathetic - have never put anyone on ignore but probably should do so in your case
tubbyj

Post by tubbyj »

As if to prove my point you act like you don't care to cover your salty tears but are being very passive aggressive.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Enzedder wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:31 pm I do hope that Kelvin Davis shot himself in the foot last night.

What does Davis bring to the table? He seems dim and well out of his depth. Is he just a token appointment by Ardern?
tubbyj

Post by tubbyj »

brat wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:32 pm
Muttonbirds wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:20 pm

You really are pathetic - have never put anyone on ignore but probably should do so in your case
:lol: :lol: :lol: If you prod the passive aggressive eventually the salty tears come
obelixtim

Post by obelixtim »

mr bungle wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:01 am
Enzedder wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:31 pm I do hope that Kelvin Davis shot himself in the foot last night.

What does Davis bring to the table? He seems dim and well out of his depth. Is he just a token appointment by Ardern?
I just watched his speech. What. A. Dickhead.
tubbyj

Post by tubbyj »

Nail Kelvin Davies to the stake if that makes you feel better but I doubt he is going anywhere. As Dark endless points out 'Ms Ardern' doesn't roll that way.

Besides Labour needs a new Trevor Mallard to deal with the likes of Gerry and Nick, you know those guys who always take the moral highground.
Last edited by tubbyj on Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

As mentioned, Kekvin is a protected species to prove something or other.

That is why I would love a coalition and Shaw can be Deputy PM
tubbyj

Post by tubbyj »

Labour would be crazy to go into any deal with the greens. Better to have them angry, harping and criticizing a centrist/left Labour government weekly to the media from the extreme left than be silent in a completely left government and have the only criticism coming from the right. History has shown the silent small partner is any NZ Government always pays at the next election.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

tubbyj wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:18 am Labour would be crazy to go into any deal with the greens. Better to have them angry, harping and criticizing a centrist/left Labour government weekly to the media from the extreme left than be silent in a completely left government and have the only criticism coming from the right. History has shown the silent small partner is any NZ Government always pays at the next election.
Always, except for this election.
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

"I feel very concerned for my country," says Judith Collins after Labour's landslide victory.
:roll:

Bugger off, Collins.
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

Muttonbirds wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:21 am
"I feel very concerned for my country," says Judith Collins after Labour's landslide victory.
:roll:

Bugger off, Collins.
So bloody negative. No wonder even National supporters turned their backs on her
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

Covid press conference at 1pm.

Great timing - not suspicious at all.
JB1981

Post by JB1981 »

Enzedder wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:36 am Covid press conference at 1pm.

Great timing - not suspicious at all.
Who is fronting it? Are you thinking this is something more than X number of imported cases in isolation?
JB1981

Post by JB1981 »

obelixtim wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:06 am
mr bungle wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:01 am

I just watched his speech. What. A. Dickhead.
If you got to the end of it you are a better man than me.
Ghost-Of-Nepia

Post by Ghost-Of-Nepia »

Not if Labour's Maori caucus has anything to do with it.