NZ Politics Thread

All things Rugby
Muttonbirds

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by Muttonbirds »

Dark wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:22 am
Enzedder wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:19 am
Dark wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:06 am So the Greens are just lackeys again for another 3 years.
They asked David Seymour how to do it.
Agree, but

Seymour has actually achieved something
Greens achieved compulsory insulation in rentals, also in opposition. A far bigger achievement than the legalised murder bill.
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

Suicide stats are going to go through the roof. And that grinning gimp seems happy about it. :?

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/politics ... -year.html
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

Dark wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:06 am So the Greens are just lackeys again for another 3 years.
Agree, but

Not when he was a lackey, he didn't. He did his bill under the Labour/NZ First coalition Govt
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

If Seymour gets anywhere near power he'll go all Switzerland on us. Suicide pills whenever you want them. The ultimate libertarian. You watch.
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

Deal done - Greens are in
The Green Party has accepted Labour's Government-forming deal, which includes their two highest ranking MPs receiving Ministerial portfolios.

A spokeswoman for the Green Party confirmed that more than 75 per cent of the 138 party delegates assessing the deal tonight have voted to accept it.

The delegates have been negotiating the deal for close to four hours.

A spokesman for Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern confirmed the vote in a statement moments later.

"The Green Party is thrilled to enter into this governing arrangement with Labour, after three years of a constructive Confidence and Supply relationship", co-leader Marama Davidson said in a statement.

"We entered into this negotiation hoping to achieve the best outcomes for New Zealand and our planet. This was after a strong campaign where we committed to action on the climate crisis, the biodiversity crisis, and the poverty crisis.

"New Zealanders voted us in to be a productive partner to Labour to ensure we go further and faster on the issues that matter. We will make sure that happens this term."
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

I haven't read any of the feedback on the preliminary results of the referendum. However, the result seems strange to me. I would have thought that given both referendum effectively deal with 'pro choice' issues, that the nation would have either voted 'yes' to both, or 'no' to both. Yet we receive a result where the country is okay giving people the legal right to end their own life on their own terms with certain conditions, but not to be able to smoke a joint legally. Beats me.
Jerome Manning

Post by Jerome Manning »

Tehui wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:03 am I haven't read any of the feedback on the preliminary results of the referendum. However, the result seems strange to me. I would have thought that given both referendum effectively deal with 'pro choice' issues, that the nation would have either voted 'yes' to both, or 'no' to both. Yet we receive a result where the country is okay giving people the legal right to end their own life on their own terms with certain conditions, but not to be able to smoke a joint legally. Beats me.
Does seem incongruous. I'd love some accurate demographic data regarding the weed vote - was it simply over 55s v under 55s?
Jerome Manning

Post by Jerome Manning »

Last edited by Jerome Manning on Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jerome Manning

Post by Jerome Manning »

wrong thread!
Dark

Post by Dark »

Muttonbirds wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:27 am
Agree, but

Greens achieved compulsory insulation in rentals, also in opposition. A far bigger achievement than the legalised murder bill.
Yes, Under National

Who insulated more homes than Labour could dream of
Dark

Post by Dark »

Tehui wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:03 am I haven't read any of the feedback on the preliminary results of the referendum. However, the result seems strange to me. I would have thought that given both referendum effectively deal with 'pro choice' issues, that the nation would have either voted 'yes' to both, or 'no' to both. Yet we receive a result where the country is okay giving people the legal right to end their own life on their own terms with certain conditions, but not to be able to smoke a joint legally. Beats me.
It isn't actually that hard to understand if you look at both arguments and not from some weird "have to have a side argument"
Dark

Post by Dark »

And you can already smoke a joint anytime you want.
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

Dark wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:12 pm
Muttonbirds wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:27 am
Agree, but

Yes, Under National

Who insulated more homes than Labour could dream of
If that's your logic, Labour introduced the Euthanasia Act and Seymour did nothing. Not something I'm comfortable with but there you go.
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

Jerome Manning wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:52 am
Does seem incongruous. I'd love some accurate demographic data regarding the weed vote - was it simply over 55s v under 55s?
It would be interesting to see the demographic breakdown of both referendum. On another note, I'm glad that you noticed that I emphasised the word 'legal' in my initial post on this topic. Other people could learn from you on this point.
Flockwitt

Post by Flockwitt »

Tehui wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:58 am
Jerome Manning wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:52 am
It would be interesting to see the demographic breakdown of both referendum. On another note, I'm glad that you noticed that I emphasised the word 'legal' in my initial post on this topic. Other people could learn from you on this point.
I'd suspect beside an age thing for cannabis there'd also be a big chunk of church going suburbia of middle New Zealand that was distinctly NO. Versus a swath of rural NZ that was yes.
Kahu

Post by Kahu »

Dark wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:18 pm And you can already smoke a joint anytime you want.
I could smoke a joint n blow it in your face and you would just have to sit there grooving on it
grouch

Post by grouch »

Jay Cee Gee wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:52 am
deadduck wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:10 am
I think your response pretty much sums up why the 'Yes' movement failed.
No it fucken doesn't, it sums up how asinine your comment was. If you wanna discuss things seriously, starting with "Only got themselves to blame"

Here's why I think it hasn't passed - it doesn't affect boomers much, so they mostly voted no. End of life does potentially affect them so enough voted yes to tip it over the line.
It will be interesting to see the demographics AND the booth results.

IMO it wasn't the 'Boomers' that voted NO to Cannabis along the poll percentages.
It was heavily voted against by the 1 million immigrants and the 'thou shalt not' God Botherers .

Why? because that's where the $3 million spent by the 'Nope to Dope' campaign was targeted .

Just another example of Democracy for sale on social media .

I am encouraged by the widespread condemnation of Little/Ardern for wiping their hands of any further progress and have low hopes that the specials will also prove to be unusual this election and the final figure for YES cracks 50% .
The irony of the result hanging in the balance of the reinstated vote from short sentence Prisoners would keep the media busy for a while.
Santa

Post by Santa »

I too think that when the polity does not agree with my vote choice that the result is undemocratic. :thumbup:
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

Cabinet announcement day today
he Prime Minister will today reveal those positions, and of particular interest will be the roles of Deputy PM, Health Minister, Winston Peters' successor in Foreign Affairs, the number of Māori ministers, and how far Phil Twyford might fall. :lol:

Finance Minister Grant Robertson is expected to be given Infrastructure so he can oversee the roll out of the $12 billion NZ upgrade programme and the $3 billion shovel-ready fund.

Yesterday Ardern gave nothing away over whether Chris Hipkins would keep Health, Education or both, or continue with parts of either.

But she has been mindful of Covid-19 in deciding Cabinet positions, she said.

"Covid is having another devastating effect in Europe, in particular, at this time. That is a sign to us we cannot be complacent."

Yesterday the UK went into a strict four-week lockdown, following lockdowns in France, Belgium and, to a lesser extent, Germany.

"It is a tricky virus and it is only swelling once more. That's all the more reason for us to continue a very concerted effort here," Ardern said.

"I have been mindful of that when forming this Cabinet."

Health next term will include not only the Covid-response, but implementing reforms set out in the Heather Simpson review.

Yesterday Labour deputy leader Kelvin Davis wouldn't be drawn on whether he wanted to be Deputy PM.

Ardern will also reveal the fate of David Clark, who resigned the health portfolio following his lockdown indiscretions, and Meka Whaitiri, who was stripped of ministerial roles after an alleged assault that she has denied. Please make them go away

Twyford, who presided over the failure of KiwiBuild and the lack of progress on Auckland light rail, is expected to be demoted but may keep his seat at the Cabinet table.

There are six empty seats at the Cabinet table: those vacated by the four NZ First ministers, and the unfilled vacancies of former Labour Party ministers Iain Lees-Galloway and Clare Curran.

That could include promotions for, among others, chief whip Michael Wood, junior whips Kiri Allen and Kieran McAnulty, and former primary school principal Jan Tinetti.

Cabinet usually has 20 ministers, and Ardern said the size of the executive would be largely unchanged.

There are currently 25 ministers in the executive council, which includes ministers outside Cabinet, and 27 members of executive government, which includes two under-secretaries.

Two ministers outside Cabinet will be Green Party co-leaders James Shaw and Marama Davidson, who yesterday joined Ardern and Davis in formally signing the Labour-Greens co-operation agreement.

Shaw will be Climate Change Minister and Associate Environment Minister (Biodiversity). Davidson will become the Minister for the Prevention of Family and Sexual Violence and Associate Housing Minister (Homelessness).

They will represent the Government in their respective portfolios, but differences between the Greens and the Government can be noted in Cabinet minutes.

Standard agree-to-disagree provision also apply, and they are free to oppose the Government on matters outside their portfolios.

"We're both agreeing that we don't actually need to agree," Ardern said of the deal.

"The Green Party can make it clear where they don't agree while we get on with things. We have the numbers that we need, but equally that isn't a reason not to work [together] in areas where we agree.

"That is what makes this a unique agreement."

Davidson added: "We agree to agree to disagree."

She stressed the ability of the Greens to maintain an independent voice, adding that she could stand against the Government on Ihumātao because it was an issue outside of the Greens' ministerial portfolios.

And she said the party could continue to be a loud voice on its proposed wealth tax - ruled out repeatedly by Ardern - as well as other ways to address inequality.

The Greens cannot oppose the Government on confidence and supply, but if they feel the Government is not going hard enough to address, for example, inequality, they can abstain on relevant Budget votes.

Davidson said 85 per cent of the Greens' membership supported the agreement, well above the needed 75 per cent but much lower than the level of consensus for 2017's confidence and supply agreement.

As well as the ministerial posts, Labour has promised to work with the Greens in "areas of co-operation" including achieving the purpose and goals of the Zero Carbon Act, protecting our environment and biodiversity, and improving child wellbeing.

Asked about the loss of Green MPs Julie Anne Genter and Eugenie Sage as ministers, Shaw said: "We could spend much of the next three years dealing with 'what ifs'. We're really dealing with what's next."
grouch

Post by grouch »

Enzedder wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:03 pm Cabinet announcement day today
he Prime Minister will today reveal those positions, and of particular interest will be the roles of Deputy PM, Health Minister, Winston Peters' successor in Foreign Affairs, the number of Māori ministers, and how far Phil Twyford might fall. :lol:

Finance Minister Grant Robertson is expected to be given Infrastructure so he can oversee the roll out of the $12 billion NZ upgrade programme and the $3 billion shovel-ready fund.

Yesterday Ardern gave nothing away over whether Chris Hipkins would keep Health, Education or both, or continue with parts of either.

But she has been mindful of Covid-19 in deciding Cabinet positions, she said.

"Covid is having another devastating effect in Europe, in particular, at this time. That is a sign to us we cannot be complacent."

Yesterday the UK went into a strict four-week lockdown, following lockdowns in France, Belgium and, to a lesser extent, Germany.

"It is a tricky virus and it is only swelling once more. That's all the more reason for us to continue a very concerted effort here," Ardern said.

"I have been mindful of that when forming this Cabinet."

Health next term will include not only the Covid-response, but implementing reforms set out in the Heather Simpson review.

Yesterday Labour deputy leader Kelvin Davis wouldn't be drawn on whether he wanted to be Deputy PM.

Ardern will also reveal the fate of David Clark, who resigned the health portfolio following his lockdown indiscretions, and Meka Whaitiri, who was stripped of ministerial roles after an alleged assault that she has denied. Please make them go away

Twyford, who presided over the failure of KiwiBuild and the lack of progress on Auckland light rail, is expected to be demoted but may keep his seat at the Cabinet table.

There are six empty seats at the Cabinet table: those vacated by the four NZ First ministers, and the unfilled vacancies of former Labour Party ministers Iain Lees-Galloway and Clare Curran.

That could include promotions for, among others, chief whip Michael Wood, junior whips Kiri Allen and Kieran McAnulty, and former primary school principal Jan Tinetti.

Cabinet usually has 20 ministers, and Ardern said the size of the executive would be largely unchanged.

There are currently 25 ministers in the executive council, which includes ministers outside Cabinet, and 27 members of executive government, which includes two under-secretaries.

Two ministers outside Cabinet will be Green Party co-leaders James Shaw and Marama Davidson, who yesterday joined Ardern and Davis in formally signing the Labour-Greens co-operation agreement.

Shaw will be Climate Change Minister and Associate Environment Minister (Biodiversity). Davidson will become the Minister for the Prevention of Family and Sexual Violence and Associate Housing Minister (Homelessness).

They will represent the Government in their respective portfolios, but differences between the Greens and the Government can be noted in Cabinet minutes.

Standard agree-to-disagree provision also apply, and they are free to oppose the Government on matters outside their portfolios.

"We're both agreeing that we don't actually need to agree," Ardern said of the deal.

"The Green Party can make it clear where they don't agree while we get on with things. We have the numbers that we need, but equally that isn't a reason not to work [together] in areas where we agree.

"That is what makes this a unique agreement."

Davidson added: "We agree to agree to disagree."

She stressed the ability of the Greens to maintain an independent voice, adding that she could stand against the Government on Ihumātao because it was an issue outside of the Greens' ministerial portfolios.

And she said the party could continue to be a loud voice on its proposed wealth tax - ruled out repeatedly by Ardern - as well as other ways to address inequality.

The Greens cannot oppose the Government on confidence and supply, but if they feel the Government is not going hard enough to address, for example, inequality, they can abstain on relevant Budget votes.

Davidson said 85 per cent of the Greens' membership supported the agreement, well above the needed 75 per cent but much lower than the level of consensus for 2017's confidence and supply agreement.

As well as the ministerial posts, Labour has promised to work with the Greens in "areas of co-operation" including achieving the purpose and goals of the Zero Carbon Act, protecting our environment and biodiversity, and improving child wellbeing.

Asked about the loss of Green MPs Julie Anne Genter and Eugenie Sage as ministers, Shaw said: "We could spend much of the next three years dealing with 'what ifs'. We're really dealing with what's next."
Green Party's contribution to the cabinet - an accountant with green tie and a plastic tiki , hmm not a great start.

We shall see what the day brings.
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

Kelvin Davis has "decided" not to do the Deputy PM role
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

grouch wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:09 pm

Green Party's contribution to the cabinet - an accountant with green tie and a plastic tiki , hmm not a great start.

We shall see what the day brings.
The plastic tiki is up there with the woodwork teacher, for sure
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

Grant Robertson Assist PM
Little has Health (Associate will be Aysha Verrell)
Nanaia Mahuta Foreign Affairs
Willy Jackson is into cabinet (that'll stir up a few)
David Clark, Commerce, Digital Economy, Statistics (the very bottom and still in cabinet)
Stuart Nash loses Police and moves into Economic and Regional Development

Twyford outside of cabinet

7 new cabinet ministers
Last edited by Enzedder on Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

Enzedder wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:16 amNanaia Mahuta Foreign Affairs
Yeeb incoming...
Eugenius

Post by Eugenius »

Robertson as deputy PM - excellent.
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

Mr Mike wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:22 am
Enzedder wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:16 amNanaia Mahuta Foreign Affairs
Yeeb incoming...
I wish that Nanaia gets to meet with Donald Trump in the near future. I really want to see his reaction
Gordon Bennett

Post by Gordon Bennett »

Does anyone know whether Kiri Allan has any credentials in the Conservation portfolio. Nothing specific that I can find.
Ghost-Of-Nepia

Post by Ghost-Of-Nepia »

Gordon Bennett wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:30 am Does anyone know whether Kiri Allan has any credentials in the Conservation portfolio. Nothing specific that I can find.
I understand she's spent plenty of time foraging around in the bush.

Sorry.
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

Just heard her in a press conference. Nothing really, just a strong interest and an agricultural background

The List

1 Rt Hon Jacinda Ardern
Prime Minister
Minister for National Security and Intelligence
Minister for Child Poverty Reduction
Minister Responsible for Ministerial Services
Associate Minister for Arts, Culture and Heritage

2 Hon Grant Robertson
Deputy Prime Minister
Minister of Finance
Minister for Infrastructure
Minister for Racing
Minister for Sport and Recreation

3 Hon Kelvin Davis
Minister for Māori Crown Relations: Te Arawhiti
Minister for Children
Minister of Corrections
Associate Minister of Education (Māori Education)

4 Hon Dr Megan Woods
Minister of Housing
Minister of Energy and Resources
Minister of Research, Science and Innovation
Associate Minister of Finance

5 Hon Chris Hipkins
Minister for COVID-19 Response
Minister of Education
Minister for the Public Service
Leader of the House

6 Hon Carmel Sepuloni
Minister for Social Development and Employment
Minister for ACC
Minister for Arts, Culture and Heritage
Minister for Disability Issues

7 Hon Andrew Little
Minister of Health
Minister Responsible for the GCSB
Minister Responsible for the NZSIS
Minister for Treaty of Waitangi Negotiations
Minister Responsible for Pike River Re-entry

8 Hon David Parker
Attorney-General
Minister for the Environment
Minister for Oceans and Fisheries
Minister of Revenue
Associate Minister of Finance

9 Hon Nanaia Mahuta
Minister of Foreign Affairs
Minister of Local Government
Associate Minister for Māori Development

10 Hon Poto Williams
Minister for Building and Construction
Minister of Police
Associate Minister for Children
Associate Minister of Housing (Public Housing)

11 Hon Damien O’Connor
Minister of Agriculture
Minister for Biosecurity
Minister for Land Information
Minister for Rural Communities
Minister for Trade and Export Growth

12 Hon Stuart Nash
Minister for Economic and Regional Development
Minister of Forestry
Minister for Small Business
Minister of Tourism

13 Hon Kris Faafoi
Minister of Justice
Minister for Broadcasting and Media
Minister of Immigration

14 Hon Peeni Henare
Minister of Defence
Minister for Whānau Ora
Associate Minister of Health (Māori Health)
Associate Minister of Housing (Māori Housing)
Associate Minister of Tourism

15 Hon Willie Jackson
Minister for Māori Development
Associate Minister for ACC
Associate Minister of Justice

16 Jan Tinetti
Minister of Internal Affairs
Minister for Women
Associate Minister of Education

17 Michael Wood
Minister of Transport
Minister for Workplace Relations and Safety
Deputy Leader of the House

18 Kiri Allan
Minister of Conservation
Minister for Emergency Management
Associate Minister for Arts, Culture and Heritage
Associate Minister for the Environment

19 Hon Dr David Clark
Minister of Commerce and Consumer Affairs
Minister for the Digital Economy and Communications
Minister for State Owned Enterprises
Minister of Statistics
Minister Responsible for the Earthquake Commission

20 Ayesha Verrall
Minister for Food Safety
Minister for Seniors
Associate Minister of Health
Associate Minister of Research, Science and Innovation

MINISTERS OUTSIDE CABINET

Hon Aupito William Sio
Minister for Courts
Minister for Pacific Peoples
Associate Minister of Foreign Affairs
Associate Minister of Education (Pacific Peoples)
Associate Minister of Justice
Associate Minister of Health (Pacific Peoples)

Hon Meka Whaitiri
Minister of Customs
Minister for Veterans
Associate Minister of Agriculture (Animal Welfare)
Associate Minister of Statistics

Hon Phil Twyford
Minister for Disarmament and Arms Control
Minister of State for Trade and Export Growth
Associate Minister for the Environment
Associate Minister of Immigration

Priyanca Radhakrishnan
Minister for the Community and Voluntary Sector
Minister for Diversity, Inclusion and Ethnic Communities
Minister for Youth
Associate Minister for Social Development and Employment
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

Ghost-Of-Nepia wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:16 am
Gordon Bennett wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:30 am Does anyone know whether Kiri Allan has any credentials in the Conservation portfolio. Nothing specific that I can find.

Sorry.
Beaver hunting?

Stop it!!!
deadduck

Post by deadduck »

God damn that's a massive demotion for chump Twyford

I didn't expect he'd be dropped from cabinet altogether
grouch

Post by grouch »

Opportunity missed .

The cabinet drawn from [mostly ] from the hacks who put Cindy in charge.

Kris Faafoi as minister of Justice , ffs !

Megan Woods - Housing & Energy- groan

Neo-libs , aargh.

Dr Liz Craig one of many capable people overlooked.
kiweez

Post by kiweez »

Ghost-Of-Nepia wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:16 am

Sorry.
You’re excused. She’s actually a nice person (in person) and I look forward to working with her.

I have 2 new Ministers...PM as MRMS and Jan Tinetti as Minister of Internal Affairs. Happy with that.
Hareaway

Post by Hareaway »

Eugenius wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:28 am Robertson as deputy PM - excellent.
Yep perfect , thank goodness it wasn’t Kelvin Davis . Heard Davis described as the “ Nowhere Man “ .

Not sure about Little in health but will see . Well done to MahutA .. too early for Verrall .. and Willy Jackson is a joke .

Saying that a fairly sensible stable cabinet .
Santa

Post by Santa »

Mahuta for Foreign Affairs is shocking.
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

It's going to be real interesting to see a single party government operating again in a NZ context. All second term governments talk about 'delivery', and given that there will be no coalition partner to deflect some of the heat, the Labour Ministers will have nowhere to hide.

On the other side of the house, we see the National party in complete disarray. It is one thing to hold the government to account in the house, which is obviously the main job of the opposition, but they've got to do better at projecting themselves as a credible alternative in 3 years time. They remind me of the Labour party before Adern became leader.
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

Santa wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:06 am Mahuta for Foreign Affairs is shocking.
Why? You don't like Māoris?
Hareaway

Post by Hareaway »

Tehui wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:21 am
Good luck to her ,

Shame she can’t go anywhere... very happy to have her .
Quite different than sleazy ol Winny red .
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

Who then? Nothing wrong with Nanaia - very intelligent woman (or is that your problem?)
Santa

Post by Santa »

Tehui wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:21 am
No such thing.