NZ Politics Thread

All things Rugby
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by Enzedder »

Mallard has got to go - the false rape statement was abysmal.

However, referring this to the privileges committee is an abuse of power

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/politics ... RE6uzS3RSg

Everyone was having a laugh, including Lorck, and he wades in to get revenge for the no confidence motion earlier in the week.
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

My Cockskin has the worst timing on top of his many, many other faults:
Mek minnit... :uhoh:
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Enzedder wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:43 am Mallard has got to go - the false rape statement was abysmal.

Everyone was having a laugh, including Lorck, and he wades in to get revenge for the no confidence motion earlier in the week.
I'm glad you think so Enz. :thumbup:

I'd given up posting comments like that on this thread because opinions just seem to divide down party lines.

National supporters: "Mallard should go, his behavior is a disgrace"
Labour supporters: "No he shouldn't, nothing in it"

Anyway I completely agree with you.
brat

Post by brat »

booji boy wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:35 pm
Enzedder wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:43 am Mallard has got to go - the false rape statement was abysmal.

I'm glad you think so Enz. :thumbup:

I'd given up posting comments like that on this thread because opinions just seem to divide down party lines.

Anyway I completely agree with you.
Anyone that follows party lines on this and thinks there’s nothing in it - is an idiot

I heard Nash going on about ‘all the good things’ mallard has done -including his stance against bullying.. the guy obviously doesn’t understand hypocrisy

No way should this guy be the speaker -it’s a joke that ardern didn’t get rid of him
Gordon Bennett

Post by Gordon Bennett »

booji boy wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:35 pm
Dunno. On some things, its pretty hard to defend the indefensible, even if you are biased. Mallard was past his use-by date when he decided not to run for Hutt South. I think he was as surprised as anyone when Labour won the election and he got to be Speaker.

I can hardly lambast Nick Smith and Gerry Brownlie and defend Mallard for hanging around too long. The guy's a pox.
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

Rules were brought in a year or so ago that edited parliamentary footage was not allowed in party campaigning.

This was after repeated attack videos using edited parliamentary were posted by Bishop, who seems to be the main culprit, and others in the nasty National party in order to misinform the public.

Thing is, parliamentary footage is paid for by all taxpayers and shouldn't edited for partisan attack ads or fake news releases.

It would be a farce if the ad wasn't taken down and Bishop brought before the committee.
deadduck

Post by deadduck »

Those are pretty dumb rules particularly if it's just a cut down version being used to mock rather than mislead
deadduck

Post by deadduck »

Muttonbirds wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:38 am

Thing is, parliamentary footage is paid for by all taxpayers and shouldn't edited for partisan attack ads or fake news releases.

It would be a farce if the ad wasn't taken down and Bishop brought before the committee.
What a moronic line of reasoning. You're screeching as if Bishop was the curator of the historical record.

Parliament TV itself has been an adulterated record ever since the speaker banned them from broadcasting MPs who were knitting, sleeping, otherwise not giving a fudge etc in the chamber
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

deadduck wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:08 am

What a moronic line of reasoning. You're screeching as if Bishop was the curator of the historical record.

Parliament TV itself has been an adulterated record ever since the speaker banned them from broadcasting MPs who were knitting, sleeping, otherwise not giving a fudge etc in the chamber
Attack ads and fake news are an important tool for the political right. It's how they incite fear and loathing amongst their base. I can see why you disagree with banning the use of edited parliamentary footage in these right wing ads and memes.
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

Muttonbirds wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:33 am

Attack ads and fake news are an important tool for the political right. It's how they incite fear and loathing amongst their base. I can see why you disagree with banning the use of edited parliamentary footage in these right wing ads and memes.
They are only going to score a hit against the converted anyway. Fire your blanks Mr Bishop - they mean nothing.

But this is about Mallard - what say you Mutton? If he were a National appointed speaker, would you want to keep him after this?
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

Time for Mallard to go. He had his time.
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

Enzedder wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:19 am

They are only going to score a hit against the converted anyway. Fire your blanks Mr Bishop - they mean nothing.

But this is about Mallard - what say you Mutton? If he were a National appointed speaker, would you want to keep him after this?
I don't have an issue with this one. As I said, the rules were changed over the last year or so and apply to exactly this behaviour.

The ridiculing of an MP using edited parliamentary footage shouldn't be accepted. And that's what this was from Bishop who is a particularly nasty individual, imo.

Even not using parliamentary footage it shouldn't be accepted. Even though Simon Bridges speaks like a hillbilly I didn't like it when the Greens used that to ridicule him in an attack ad.

What I didn't like from Mallard was the flip-flopping over the tie issue. He should have read the room better.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Muttonbirds wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:33 am Attack ads and fake news are an important tool for the political right.
Very enlightening. And what do you think of Mallard?
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Muttonbirds wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:51 am
Enzedder wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:19 am

I don't have an issue with this one. As I said, the rules were changed over the last year or so and apply to exactly this behaviour.

The ridiculing of an MP using edited parliamentary footage shouldn't be accepted. And that's what this was from Bishop who is a particularly nasty individual, imo.

Even not using parliamentary footage it shouldn't be accepted. Even though Simon Bridges speaks like a hillbilly I didn't like it when the Greens used that to ridicule him in an attack ad.

What I didn't like from Mallard was the flip-flopping over the tie issue. He should have read the room better.
What about the false rape allegations and wasting $300k of taxpayers money defending it?
Dark

Post by Dark »

Your beloved hero has another nutty MP on her hands which looks like another joke.

How about addressing that rather than someone in another party just pointing it out,

Maybe Mallard can call her a rapist and she can disappear
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

Dark wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:48 am

Your beloved hero has another nutty MP on her hands which looks like another joke.

How about addressing that rather than someone in another party just pointing it out,

So nutty she wiped the floor with Lawrence Yule in Tukituki. :thumbup:
Dark

Post by Dark »

Muttonbirds wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:14 am
Dark wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:48 am

So nutty she wiped the floor with Lawrence Yule in Tukituki. :thumbup:
I am actually interested in your opinion on Mallard.

Or Ardern's gate keeper

Do you have one?
Dark

Post by Dark »

Actually probably a dumb question

I am thinking you are happy innocent people are called rapists and having their work life ruined.

There are more important issues for Mallard like ties to take the heat off
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

Dark wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:27 am Actually probably a dumb question

I am thinking you are happy innocent people are called rapists and having their work life ruined.

Innocent? Not sure about that. He was clearly a pest and women in parliament had had enough.

You don't want these creeps in parliament, do you?
terangi48

Post by terangi48 »

Did miss something?......is there another election again........

Back to drawn pistols at 20 steps again.......seeya next month....
Dark

Post by Dark »

Muttonbirds wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:32 am
Dark wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:27 am Actually probably a dumb question

Innocent? Not sure about that. He was clearly a pest and women in parliament had had enough.

You don't want these creeps in parliament, do you?
We don't know.

Mallard had it hidden,

And then called him a rapist on national TV. What is your opinion on that?
Dark

Post by Dark »

Let's check
Last week it was revealed that more than $300,000 from the public purse was spent in defamation proceedings after the speaker of the New Zealand parliament, Trevor Mallard, wrongly accused a former parliamentary staffer of being a rapist. On Wednesday Mallard fronted up to parliament’s governance and administration committee and apologised to the house and all New Zealanders for his “mistake”, a word he used three times in the first 90 seconds of the hearing.
Dark

Post by Dark »

Because unlike every person on earth, Trev' "The heav'. Punch you in the face I went to a ponsy school" Mallard, is too thick to know what rape is
Speaker of the House Trevor Mallard has personally apologised for the "distress and humiliation" he caused an individual after he made comments which amounted to an accusation of rape.

In an RNZ interview in May last year, where he was talking about the Debbie Francis report on bullying, Mallard said: "We're talking about serious sexual assault, well that, for me, that's rape ... that is the impression I get from the report, yes".

But in a statement from Mallard released this afternoon, he said that some of his comments gave the "impression that allegations made against that individual in the context of the Francis Review amounted to rape".

"Trevor Mallard accepts that his understanding of the definition of rape at that time was incorrect and that the alleged conduct did not amount to rape (as that term is defined in the Crimes Act 1961) and that it was incorrect of him to suggest otherwise," the statement said.
Dark

Post by Dark »

Far out

Anyone else see the dude who is the co-leader of the Maori party on Q and A this morning?

Was supposed to be about the stupid tie thing.

Geezer slaps himself more than Len "hit myself in the head" Brown.
jambanja

Post by jambanja »

So the Prime minister has decided not to appear in her weekly spot on Mike Hoskings show, now whatever you think about Hoskings and his interview style, I don't think this is a great look and does smack of dodging the tough stuff.
This slot has been going since 2014 and the only other time a PM has missed it was John Key, who missed it once, to check his exposure over the Panama papers

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/politics/ ... XZBUE3YKU/
Ghost-Of-Nepia

Post by Ghost-Of-Nepia »

jambanja wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:55 am So the Prime minister has decided not to appear in her weekly spot on Mike Hoskings show, now whatever you think about Hoskings and his interview style, I don't think this is a great look and does smack of dodging the tough stuff.
This slot has been going since 2014 and the only other time a PM has missed it was John Key, who missed it once, to check his exposure over the Panama papers

You've got things skew-whiff, conflating Guyon Espiner's tweet about Key's appearances on Morning Report with the history of the ZB time slot.
jambanja

Post by jambanja »

Ghost-Of-Nepia wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:04 am
jambanja wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:55 am So the Prime minister has decided not to appear in her weekly spot on Mike Hoskings show, now whatever you think about Hoskings and his interview style, I don't think this is a great look and does smack of dodging the tough stuff.

You've got things skew-whiff, conflating Guyon Espiner's tweet about Key's appearances on Morning Report with the history of the ZB time slot.
Perhaps you can enlighten
Monkey Magic

Post by Monkey Magic »

This comes fairly quickly on the back of Robertson pulling out of Magic talk bc they aired some conspiracy theories.

Have they just decided to pull back from talk radio and only do soft slots with the likes if the hits and hauraki
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

jambanja wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:12 am

This slot apparently goes back 35 years. All the way back to David Lange and Paul Holmes. No other prime minister in that time has pulled the plug. Then again no other prime minister had absolute power like our Jacinda. As they say, absolute power corrupts, absolutely.
Ghost-Of-Nepia

Post by Ghost-Of-Nepia »

Or you could just, y'know, read properly.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

booji boy wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:49 am

This slot apparently goes back 35 years. All the way back to David Lange and Paul Holmes. No other prime minister in that time has pulled the plug. Then again no other prime minister had absolute power like our Jacinda. As they say, absolute power corrupts, absolutely.
My god you're going the full Dark at the moment. We might need another Muttonbird for balance at this rate.

She probably should have just said she's happy to do it but maybe mix it up with a jock who is not essentially the mouthpiece for the party that is in opposition to hers.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

UncleFB wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:35 am

My god you're going the full Dark at the moment. We might need another Muttonbird for balance at this rate.

She probably should have just said she's happy to do it but maybe mix it up with a jock who is not essentially the mouthpiece for the party that is in opposition to hers.
Yes I must admit Hosking is incredibly biased in his anti Labour interviewing style. I don't think he gives National a completely free ride but with Labour they can't do anything right in his view. If they found the cure for cancer he'd still find fault. He seems to have a deep seated and particular antipathy towards Ardern though. He interviews Stuart Nash along with Mark Mitchell on Wednesday morning's and whilst he grills Nash he is nowhere near as combative.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

booji boy wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:00 am
UncleFB wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:35 am

Yes I must admit Hosking is incredibly biased in his anti Labour interviewing style. I don't think he gives National a completely free ride but with Labour they can't do anything right in his view. If they found the cure for cancer he'd still find fault. He seems to have a deep seated and particular antipathy towards Ardern though. He interviews Stuart Nash along with Mark Mitchell on Wednesday morning's and whilst he grills Nash he is nowhere near as combative.
:thumbup: I take back my Dark comment after this thoughtful and well articulated response. ;)
jambanja

Post by jambanja »

Cheers for that
Eugenius

Post by Eugenius »

Key dipped out of RNZ interviews regularly and let’s not mention bloody Brownlee who refused outright for an extended period .

Never were these interviewers as outright biased and hostile as Hoskings.
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

Perhaps a comparison between Mallard and Hoskins.

I know one is the speaker of the house and the other one sincerely believes he is the speaker of NZ, but how would they do in, say, a role reversal?
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

Shudders - looks at Australian immigration requirements
terangi48

Post by terangi48 »

Yeah.....PM withdrawing from ZB interviews has been an interesting episode.

I usually only ever have ZB on in my car, and hear the 12-1pm slot, and 5-6pm slots when Jamie McKay and DP Allen are on their sessions.......and occasionally late morning and afternoons. It seems that ZB has done it's research and knows when to wind up the politics......when listeners are trapped in their cars commuting......as they would be with Hoskings early morning. It's fair to say, as pointed out above, that the politics is Nat biased and derisory of the current government.

ZB does have however milder jocks on in other slots during the day who are fairer, and better balanced in their views.

However.........I do react at times when I find the political stuff too rich......and change the station.

I also note that the Nat bias is doubly repeated when appearing in the printed form in the NZH.......and am thankful that when cruising the net each day seeking out the news of the day, that I am locked out of many stories in the Herald........especially yeasterday, when Hoskings not only ranted on air about the withdrawal, but his Mrs also had a spew as well.....then Soper. Meanwhile......no opinion pieces seem to have appeared about the National Party review.....opinion which whould have ballanced the bias.

The editor I thought would have had a bit more sense than printing all reporters "opinion".......surely a turn off to their media outlets? Has been for me.

Can understand why the PM is ceasing to be part of the slot.......she's dammed if she does and dammed if she doesn't.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

terangi48 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:58 am Yeah.....PM withdrawing from ZB interviews has been an interesting episode.

I usually only ever have ZB on in my car, and hear the 12-1pm slot, and 5-6pm slots when Jamie McKay and DP Allen are on their sessions.......and occasionally late morning and afternoons. It seems that ZB has done it's research and knows when to wind up the politics......when listeners are trapped in their cars commuting......as they would be with Hoskings early morning. It's fair to say, as pointed out above, that the politics is Nat biased and derisory of the current government.

ZB does have however milder jocks on in other slots during the day who are fairer, and better balanced in their views.

However.........I do react at times when I find the political stuff too rich......and change the station.

I also note that the Nat bias is doubly repeated when appearing in the printed form in the NZH.......and am thankful that when cruising the net each day seeking out the news of the day, that I am locked out of many stories in the Herald........especially yeasterday, when Hoskings not only ranted on air about the withdrawal, but his Mrs also had a spew as well.....then Soper. Meanwhile......no opinion pieces seem to have appeared about the National Party review.....opinion which whould have ballanced the bias.

The editor I thought would have had a bit more sense than printing all reporters "opinion".......surely a turn off to their media outlets? Has been for me.

Can understand why the PM is ceasing to be part of the slot.......she's dammed if she does and dammed if she doesn't.
Agree with most of that. I like that guy Jamie McKay. Seems to know his stuff and pretty entertaining. He mainly just does the one hour daily farm show doesn't he?

As for the rest, in summary:

Breakfast Show - Mike Hosking - extremely right wing. Extremely anti Labour
Morning Show - Kerre McIvor - more balanced but still leans right. Pretty dull show. :yawn:
Afternoon show - two goofballs Phil Gifford and can't remember his name - pretty balanced but a dull, boring show.
Drive Home - Heather Du Plessis-Alan - Hosking lite. Nowhere near as clever as she thinks she is.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

So what’s the problem exactly, with the PM withdrawing from that show?

Basically, you’ve got a pretty heavily partisan outlet enjoying a privileged position in hosting the PM with the assumed market penetration that provides and abusing that privilege through their pushing of their partisan agenda?

As long as the PM and the govt aren’t restricting access to journalists at large, allowing continued scrutiny through media then having one outlet denied isn’t really that big a deal, right?

It’s just that it rocks a boat that everyone got comfortably used to seeing sail past regardless of the filthy coal smoke belching from the smokestack.