NZ Politics Thread

All things Rugby
User avatar
Dark
Posts: 6982
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 2:38 am
Location: NZ

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by Dark »

Muttonbirds wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:41 am Darth Ju wants to 'bottle' the Minister of Police. When challenged she tried to claim she meant put the genie back in the bottle which is such a dumb excuse not even Dark would buy it.

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/politics ... liams.html
Scarey.

I actually agree with something you posted.

But Collin's does make one good point. They are a really really shit Police Minister.
jono45
Posts: 228
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by jono45 »

Look its just a cultural thing ,Collins grew up in an environment where bottling was in A genie in a bottle and Poto in a area / environment where it meant cracking a longneck over someone's head
User avatar
Ted.
Posts: 19847
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by Ted. »

Brabus wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:06 am The one decent idea Labour had to bring prices under control they bottled. As in abolishing the urban limit, unfortunately that didn't last a single election cycle.
One of the very worst things you could possibly do is to remove the urban limit. Idiotic is not too strong a word.
Last edited by Ted. on Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Dark
Posts: 6982
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 2:38 am
Location: NZ

Re: Can anyone trust David Cunliffe ?

Post by Dark »

slow wing wrote: Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:42 am TMAB's back...
Holy shit.

We have a detective in the building.

No shit.
User avatar
Muttonbirds
Posts: 3167
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:22 am
Location: Aotearoa

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by Muttonbirds »

jono45 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:35 am Look its just a cultural thing ,Collins grew up in an environment where bottling was in A genie in a bottle and Poto in a area / environment where it meant cracking a longneck over someone's head
:lol: :roll:
User avatar
Enzedder
Posts: 22113
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by Enzedder »

Nah, my mum used to bottle fruit to preserve it's length (they even called the jars "preserving jars"). Nothing in this - move on FFS.
User avatar
Muttonbirds
Posts: 3167
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:22 am
Location: Aotearoa

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by Muttonbirds »

Enzedder wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:22 pm Nah, my mum used to bottle fruit to preserve it's length (they even called the jars "preserving jars"). Nothing in this - move on FFS.
So Collins is suggesting people want to entomb Williams instead of attacking her with a broken bottle?
Sonny Blount
Posts: 4799
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by Sonny Blount »

Ted. wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:38 am
Brabus wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:06 am The one decent idea Labour had to bring prices under control they bottled. As in abolishing the urban limit, unfortunately that didn't last a single election cycle.
One of the very worst things you could possibly do is to remove the urban limit. Idiotic is not too strong a word.
Freeing up land for development is the only thing that will make a difference to house prices in the long run.
User avatar
Tehui
Posts: 16955
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by Tehui »

Ted. wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:38 am
Brabus wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:06 am The one decent idea Labour had to bring prices under control they bottled. As in abolishing the urban limit, unfortunately that didn't last a single election cycle.
One of the very worst things you could possibly do is to remove the urban limit. Idiotic is not too strong a word.
I trust your judgement on this subject Ted. Can you explain why to a lay person like me?
User avatar
Dark
Posts: 6982
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 2:38 am
Location: NZ

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by Dark »

Looks like the billion dollar cycle bridge Muttonbirds, Ardern and Robertson were so into is now gone.

Another backtrack by the govt. Another lie from from Mutton and his friends. Another bunch of children riding their bikes built on broken dreams, probably selling them which will increase child poverty even more than Ardern has done already. Leading to living in scummy hotels next to prostitutes and drug dealers, sky rocketing youth suicide, massive increase in housing CRISIS and anguish.

But what do Mutton, Ardern and Robertson say?

"We don't care as long as we are funding gangs selling meth"

No word on Mutton's apology to cyclists yet.
'
Cycle bridge in Auckland aint happening

It looks like their precious bridge crossing may be confined to the scrap heap.

As is was predicted moments after it was announced, and got an almost unanimous negative response – gosh even some cyclists thought it was a dumb idea, it’s likely now it’ll never happen.

Grant Robertson yesterday wouldn't confirm or deny the cycle bridge, only to say that they ‘continually look at the transport network to see it works well’.

That’s politician speak for – it’s toast.

So what does this tell us?

Well like I said yesterday, it tells us very clearly this Government hates bad press. It tells us a 10 point drop in the polls really sharpens the mind, and it tells us they’ll move like a wind sock under the gales of public pressure.

Seasonal workers are in, the cycle bridge is out.

What can we expect next? And more importantly, is this a precursor to what we can expect as we head into the next election?

Are flip flops, false promises and knee jerk reactions good for us?

Well not if you want some stability and consistency from your leadership, some long term strategic management. I would’ve thought good leadership is about properly doing the work up front before you leap into announcements.

Costing and canvassing something to the hilt, before you throw out the press release and roll out the Minister. And then once you have your plan, sticking to it.

Obviously in this case a back down is the only and best course of action - but we shouldn't have been put through this farce in the first place.

The cyclists will rightly be annoyed, although did they really believe this would actually ever get off the ground?

The announcement came with no formal detail or specifics; the Government hadn’t done the homework on it, and it became increasingly hard to justify.

Add to that the public backlash and you can see how they’d now like to pretend this never happened.

So it really should surprise no one that it’s going to fizzle into the ether alongside Kiwibuild, Lightrail, and any number of infrastructure projects you want to name.

So let’s recap the telling way this has unfolded:

A bad poll for the Government and two specific questions come out of that poll.

One, about loosening the border for seasonal workers and two, the cycle bridge.

24 hours later, seasonal workers are in.

24 hours after that, the cycle bridge is on the ropes.

Almost 82% of people in the poll said the bridge was a dumb idea.

So what we’re seeing here, therefore, is less of a government governing, and more of a reactive popularity contest based on poll data.

Is that good solid leadership? Or is that just amateurs winging it?

Brabus
Posts: 683
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by Brabus »

Ted. wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:38 am
Brabus wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:06 am The one decent idea Labour had to bring prices under control they bottled. As in abolishing the urban limit, unfortunately that didn't last a single election cycle.
One of the very worst things you could possibly do is to remove the urban limit. Idiotic is not too strong a word.
Constraint upon supply is a major factor in house pricing, the urban limit artificially constrains supply.
User avatar
Dark
Posts: 6982
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 2:38 am
Location: NZ

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by Dark »

Brabus wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:35 am
Ted. wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:38 am
Brabus wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:06 am The one decent idea Labour had to bring prices under control they bottled. As in abolishing the urban limit, unfortunately that didn't last a single election cycle.
One of the very worst things you could possibly do is to remove the urban limit. Idiotic is not too strong a word.
Constraint upon supply is a major factor in house pricing, the urban limit artificially constrains supply.
Prblem is I am beginning to think Labour wants there to continue being a housing CRISIS.

Along with a mental health and child poverty catastrophe.
Eugenius
Posts: 988
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:05 am

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by Eugenius »

I’ve got a cold , does this mean I’m WEAK ?
User avatar
Muttonbirds
Posts: 3167
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:22 am
Location: Aotearoa

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by Muttonbirds »

Sonny Blount wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:08 am
Ted. wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:38 am
Brabus wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:06 am The one decent idea Labour had to bring prices under control they bottled. As in abolishing the urban limit, unfortunately that didn't last a single election cycle.
One of the very worst things you could possibly do is to remove the urban limit. Idiotic is not too strong a word.
Freeing up land for development is the only thing that will make a difference to house prices in the long run.
Surely investors will continue to buy them apace, therefore keeping prices high. They won't run out of money because banks will continue to print it for them.

They won't stop themselves so they must be stopped by us.
User avatar
Dark
Posts: 6982
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 2:38 am
Location: NZ

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by Dark »

Eugenius wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:58 am I’ve got a cold , does this mean I’m WEAK ?
I'd like to say no, but unsure.

Is your sales pitch being a strong leader like Ardern yet also tend to cry a lot like her and say you want a zero suicide rate, Then forget about it when it goes up, and want people who say organised religion of all types is utter bollocks should be jailed longer than child abusers, while your dad took part in a big way in the Dawn Raids, while not mentioning it?
jono45
Posts: 228
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by jono45 »

Muttonbirds wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:03 am
Sonny Blount wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:08 am
Ted. wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:38 am
Brabus wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:06 am The one decent idea Labour had to bring prices under control they bottled. As in abolishing the urban limit, unfortunately that didn't last a single election cycle.
One of the very worst things you could possibly do is to remove the urban limit. Idiotic is not too strong a word.
Freeing up land for development is the only thing that will make a difference to house prices in the long run.
Surely investors will continue to buy them apace, therefore keeping prices high. They won't run out of money because banks will continue to print it for them.

They won't stop themselves so they must be stopped by us.
I heard a piece on RNz where some research had been undertaken pointing to 1 in 3 current(the world is fcuked) NZ expats planned to return to Nz over the next 4 years, house prices are not going to moderate , Labour are so naive
User avatar
Ted.
Posts: 19847
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by Ted. »

Tehui wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:05 am
Ted. wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:38 am
Brabus wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:06 am The one decent idea Labour had to bring prices under control they bottled. As in abolishing the urban limit, unfortunately that didn't last a single election cycle.
One of the very worst things you could possibly do is to remove the urban limit. Idiotic is not too strong a word.
I trust your judgement on this subject Ted. Can you explain why to a lay person like me?
We already have far too much urban sprawl encroaching on A1 or Elite land that is most suitable for horticultural uses. This type of land is in limited supply in NZ, yet we have seen huge amounts of productive land irretrievably lost to hosing and other types of development at an accelerating rate to the point if we continue we won't be able to supply our own population with vegetables.

One Elite land is urbanised, dye to changes in the soil itself, it cannot be put back to productive horticultural use.

To suggest that all we need to do to relieve the housing supply and affordability crisis is to unlock land by rezoning it as urban is not only ignoring the many other factors, but it also ignorant of land use principles and short sighted.

Developing the best agricultural land for housing, commercial and industrial space is stupid in the extreme, yet we are doing just that because that sort of land tends to be flat to rolling country (cheap to develop) and accessible. Instead, we should be intensifying within the current urban zones and/or opening up the more difficult, crap land for development.
Brabus
Posts: 683
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by Brabus »

Dark wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:02 am
Brabus wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:35 am
Ted. wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:38 am
Brabus wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:06 am The one decent idea Labour had to bring prices under control they bottled. As in abolishing the urban limit, unfortunately that didn't last a single election cycle.
One of the very worst things you could possibly do is to remove the urban limit. Idiotic is not too strong a word.
Constraint upon supply is a major factor in house pricing, the urban limit artificially constrains supply.
Prblem is I am beginning to think Labour wants there to continue being a housing CRISIS.

Along with a mental health and child poverty catastrophe.
To be fair National bottled the RMA reforms but at least they gave that a go Labour just quietly dropped their promise hoping no one would notice.

I don't see anything from the big two that gives me any hope that there is any political will to address the issue. CGT sure as hell isn't the answer, whilst it plays to Labour and the Greens base property bubbles persist in geographies with CGT. Both don't want to devalue housing as wiping paper value off voters assets is political suicide, only the Greens are that mad. The acceleration we've seen in the last couple of years however is concerning. And this is coming from a bloke who bought their Auckland 1/4 acre 4 beddie 15 minutes from town 21 years ago for just short of $200K. This market is that ridiculous!
User avatar
Muttonbirds
Posts: 3167
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:22 am
Location: Aotearoa

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by Muttonbirds »

jono45 wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:55 am
Muttonbirds wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:03 am
Sonny Blount wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:08 am
Ted. wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:38 am
Brabus wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:06 am The one decent idea Labour had to bring prices under control they bottled. As in abolishing the urban limit, unfortunately that didn't last a single election cycle.
One of the very worst things you could possibly do is to remove the urban limit. Idiotic is not too strong a word.
Freeing up land for development is the only thing that will make a difference to house prices in the long run.
Surely investors will continue to buy them apace, therefore keeping prices high. They won't run out of money because banks will continue to print it for them.

They won't stop themselves so they must be stopped by us.
I heard a piece on RNz where some research had been undertaken pointing to 1 in 3 current(the world is fcuked) NZ expats planned to return to Nz over the next 4 years, house prices are not going to moderate , Labour are so naive
As the full effects of the pandemic play out globally they know this is going to happen, in full or in part, which is why they are saying no to new immigrants right now.

It attitudes which have to change, not tearing up the urban boundary. People who say, 'just build more houses' are the naive ones.
User avatar
Ted.
Posts: 19847
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by Ted. »

Brabus wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:04 am
Dark wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:02 am
Brabus wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:35 am
Ted. wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:38 am
Brabus wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:06 am The one decent idea Labour had to bring prices under control they bottled. As in abolishing the urban limit, unfortunately that didn't last a single election cycle.
One of the very worst things you could possibly do is to remove the urban limit. Idiotic is not too strong a word.
Constraint upon supply is a major factor in house pricing, the urban limit artificially constrains supply.
Prblem is I am beginning to think Labour wants there to continue being a housing CRISIS.

Along with a mental health and child poverty catastrophe.
To be fair National bottled the RMA reforms but at least they gave that a go Labour just quietly dropped their promise hoping no one would notice.

I don't see anything from the big two that gives me any hope that there is any political will to address the issue. CGT sure as hell isn't the answer, whilst it plays to Labour and the Greens base property bubbles persist in geographies with CGT. Both don't want to devalue housing as wiping paper value off voters assets is political suicide, only the Greens are that mad. The acceleration we've seen in the last couple of years however is concerning. And this is coming from a bloke who bought their Auckland 1/4 acre 4 beddie 15 minutes from town 21 years ago for just short of $200K. This market is that ridiculous!
Which only means you haven't seen anything. There is in fact RMA reform and the much talked about NPSUD 2020

https://www.hud.govt.nz/urban-developme ... nt-nps-ud/

In fact, many TAs are already using the NPSUD to approve resource consents under the existing RMA that would not have had a shit show less than a year ago,

The thing is, new land supply is one part of the equation. The escalating cost of construction is another significant factor for new builds, were Fletchers and CHH are reaping windfall profits off the back of existing house prices (Read as price gouging and profiteering because they can).
Sonny Blount
Posts: 4799
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by Sonny Blount »

Ted. wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:04 am
Tehui wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:05 am
Ted. wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:38 am
Brabus wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:06 am The one decent idea Labour had to bring prices under control they bottled. As in abolishing the urban limit, unfortunately that didn't last a single election cycle.
One of the very worst things you could possibly do is to remove the urban limit. Idiotic is not too strong a word.
I trust your judgement on this subject Ted. Can you explain why to a lay person like me?
We already have far too much urban sprawl encroaching on A1 or Elite land that is most suitable for horticultural uses. This type of land is in limited supply in NZ, yet we have seen huge amounts of productive land irretrievably lost to hosing and other types of development at an accelerating rate to the point if we continue we won't be able to supply our own population with vegetables.

One Elite land is urbanised, dye to changes in the soil itself, it cannot be put back to productive horticultural use.

To suggest that all we need to do to relieve the housing supply and affordability crisis is to unlock land by rezoning it as urban is not only ignoring the many other factors, but it also ignorant of land use principles and short sighted.

Developing the best agricultural land for housing, commercial and industrial space is stupid in the extreme, yet we are doing just that because that sort of land tends to be flat to rolling country (cheap to develop) and accessible. Instead, we should be intensifying within the current urban zones and/or opening up the more difficult, crap land for development.

Price is the signal that tells us the best use of the land.

If the land is premium for agriculture, then they will pay more to own it than someone developing it for housing. If housing developers can find cheaper land that is not wanted for agriculture, then they will build there first.

We do not need to make all of our own food, and we do not need to house everyone on Earth. Prices are the mechanism where the information for best use of the resource is transmitted, not really smart people who know better and have better intentions than everyone else.
User avatar
Ted.
Posts: 19847
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by Ted. »

Sonny Blount wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:36 am
Ted. wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:04 am
Tehui wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:05 am
Ted. wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:38 am
Brabus wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:06 am The one decent idea Labour had to bring prices under control they bottled. As in abolishing the urban limit, unfortunately that didn't last a single election cycle.
One of the very worst things you could possibly do is to remove the urban limit. Idiotic is not too strong a word.
I trust your judgement on this subject Ted. Can you explain why to a lay person like me?
We already have far too much urban sprawl encroaching on A1 or Elite land that is most suitable for horticultural uses. This type of land is in limited supply in NZ, yet we have seen huge amounts of productive land irretrievably lost to hosing and other types of development at an accelerating rate to the point if we continue we won't be able to supply our own population with vegetables.

One Elite land is urbanised, dye to changes in the soil itself, it cannot be put back to productive horticultural use.

To suggest that all we need to do to relieve the housing supply and affordability crisis is to unlock land by rezoning it as urban is not only ignoring the many other factors, but it also ignorant of land use principles and short sighted.

Developing the best agricultural land for housing, commercial and industrial space is stupid in the extreme, yet we are doing just that because that sort of land tends to be flat to rolling country (cheap to develop) and accessible. Instead, we should be intensifying within the current urban zones and/or opening up the more difficult, crap land for development.

Price is the signal that tells us the best use of the land.

If the land is premium for agriculture, then they will pay more to own it than someone developing it for housing. If housing developers can find cheaper land that is not wanted for agriculture, then they will build there first.

We do not need to make all of our own food, and we do not need to house everyone on Earth. Prices are the mechanism where the information for best use of the resource is transmitted, not really smart people who know better and have better intentions than everyone else.
Another idiotic assertion. Asinine, neo Liberal wank.

. If price was the sole indicator of use, we'd not need the land use sections of the RMA, chunks of the Building Act and LINZ wouldn't bother to categorise land.

The encroachment of developments on horticultural land, for example, has nothing to do with it's suitability, but everything to do with price distortions. It's also a no brainer that any sort of land that is desirable for constructing buildings, will return far more per square metre than just about any other conceivable use. So by your metric, any and all land should be open to development.

Sorry chap, but we have to earn an income and feed a nation. Land development is not productive.
User avatar
Gordon Bennett
Posts: 2340
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by Gordon Bennett »

Totally agree with you there Ted. Very well put. :thumbup:
User avatar
guy smiley
Posts: 37767
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: in transit

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by guy smiley »

Gordon Bennett wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:23 am Totally agree with you there Ted. Very well put. :thumbup:
I'd like to throw my freshly tipped hat into the ring on that.

:thumbup: :thumbup:
User avatar
Dark
Posts: 6982
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 2:38 am
Location: NZ

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by Dark »

Muttonbirds wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:18 am
jono45 wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:55 am
Muttonbirds wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:03 am
Sonny Blount wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:08 am
Ted. wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:38 am

One of the very worst things you could possibly do is to remove the urban limit. Idiotic is not too strong a word.
Freeing up land for development is the only thing that will make a difference to house prices in the long run.
Surely investors will continue to buy them apace, therefore keeping prices high. They won't run out of money because banks will continue to print it for them.

They won't stop themselves so they must be stopped by us.
I heard a piece on RNz where some research had been undertaken pointing to 1 in 3 current(the world is fcuked) NZ expats planned to return to Nz over the next 4 years, house prices are not going to moderate , Labour are so naive
As the full effects of the pandemic play out globally they know this is going to happen, in full or in part, which is why they are saying no to new immigrants right now.

It attitudes which have to change, not tearing up the urban boundary. People who say, 'just build more houses' are the naive ones.

Why do I get the feeling you are just angry Ardern lied again, with her cycle bridge promise you kept going all man-love over.
Eugenius
Posts: 988
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:05 am

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by Eugenius »

https://thespinoff.co.nz/atea/02-08-202 ... VzCA5yWK9E



More than merely symbolic methinks .
Sonny Blount
Posts: 4799
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by Sonny Blount »

Ted. wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:07 am
Sonny Blount wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:36 am
Ted. wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:04 am
Tehui wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:05 am
Ted. wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:38 am

One of the very worst things you could possibly do is to remove the urban limit. Idiotic is not too strong a word.
I trust your judgement on this subject Ted. Can you explain why to a lay person like me?
We already have far too much urban sprawl encroaching on A1 or Elite land that is most suitable for horticultural uses. This type of land is in limited supply in NZ, yet we have seen huge amounts of productive land irretrievably lost to hosing and other types of development at an accelerating rate to the point if we continue we won't be able to supply our own population with vegetables.

One Elite land is urbanised, dye to changes in the soil itself, it cannot be put back to productive horticultural use.

To suggest that all we need to do to relieve the housing supply and affordability crisis is to unlock land by rezoning it as urban is not only ignoring the many other factors, but it also ignorant of land use principles and short sighted.

Developing the best agricultural land for housing, commercial and industrial space is stupid in the extreme, yet we are doing just that because that sort of land tends to be flat to rolling country (cheap to develop) and accessible. Instead, we should be intensifying within the current urban zones and/or opening up the more difficult, crap land for development.

Price is the signal that tells us the best use of the land.

If the land is premium for agriculture, then they will pay more to own it than someone developing it for housing. If housing developers can find cheaper land that is not wanted for agriculture, then they will build there first.

We do not need to make all of our own food, and we do not need to house everyone on Earth. Prices are the mechanism where the information for best use of the resource is transmitted, not really smart people who know better and have better intentions than everyone else.
Another idiotic assertion. Asinine, neo Liberal wank.

. If price was the sole indicator of use, we'd not need the land use sections of the RMA, chunks of the Building Act and LINZ wouldn't bother to categorise land.

The encroachment of developments on horticultural land, for example, has nothing to do with it's suitability, but everything to do with price distortions. It's also a no brainer that any sort of land that is desirable for constructing buildings, will return far more per square metre than just about any other conceivable use. So by your metric, any and all land should be open to development.

Sorry chap, but we have to earn an income and feed a nation. Land development is not productive.

No, that's not it.
Eugenius
Posts: 988
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:05 am

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by Eugenius »

The market the market the market ...

Most certainly doesn’t always provide .

Ultimately it’s worship only leads to greater and greater inequality.
jono45
Posts: 228
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by jono45 »

Eugenius wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:56 am The market the market the market ...

Most certainly doesn’t always provide .

Ultimately it’s worship only leads to greater and greater inequality.
Oh yeah, and state control has worked out so well around the world
Eugenius
Posts: 988
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:05 am

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by Eugenius »

Slight over reaction there .
jono45
Posts: 228
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by jono45 »

Eugenius wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:36 am Slight over reaction there .
It's a slippery slope
User avatar
Ted.
Posts: 19847
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by Ted. »

jono45 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:42 am
Eugenius wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:36 am Slight over reaction there .
It's a slippery slope
That's state control? :lol:

You're taking a leaf out of Sonny's book of befuddlement and ideological misses. :nod:
jono45
Posts: 228
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by jono45 »

Ted. wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:47 am
jono45 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:42 am
Eugenius wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:36 am Slight over reaction there .
It's a slippery slope
That's state control? :lol:

You're taking a leaf out of Sonny's book of befuddlement and ideological misses. :nod:
It doesn't take much to set us off...any red policy will do
User avatar
Ted.
Posts: 19847
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by Ted. »

jono45 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:57 am
Ted. wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:47 am
jono45 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:42 am
Eugenius wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:36 am Slight over reaction there .
It's a slippery slope
That's state control? :lol:

You're taking a leaf out of Sonny's book of befuddlement and ideological misses. :nod:
It doesn't take much to set us off...any red policy will do

You'll find the very best ones under the bed.




Image

;)
User avatar
Enzedder
Posts: 22113
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by Enzedder »

Now THAT was state control. Holyoake was pretty bad (and a wee bit bent at feathering his own nest) but Muldoon was as close to a dictator as we will ever get (with never more than 40% of the vote)
Eugenius
Posts: 988
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:05 am

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by Eugenius »

And I’ll say it once again , the architect of the worse economic decision in NZ history .

Let’s dump compulsory superannuation and the many hundreds of billions it would provide .

National - the party of economic competence.
User avatar
Muttonbirds
Posts: 3167
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:22 am
Location: Aotearoa

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by Muttonbirds »

jono45 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:57 am
Ted. wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:47 am
jono45 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:42 am
Eugenius wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:36 am Slight over reaction there .
It's a slippery slope
That's state control? :lol:

You're taking a leaf out of Sonny's book of befuddlement and ideological misses. :nod:
It doesn't take much to set us off...any red policy will do
What did it this time? That we're not building bits and pieces of unplanned housing hither and thither?
User avatar
Auckman
Posts: 10421
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Sydney Town

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by Auckman »

guy smiley wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:49 am
Gordon Bennett wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:23 am Totally agree with you there Ted. Very well put. :thumbup:
I'd like to throw my freshly tipped hat into the ring on that.

:thumbup: :thumbup:
Indeed. Well said by Ted.

However, I do favour reclaiming land from Manukau harbour for housing. 8)
Brabus
Posts: 683
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by Brabus »

Ted. wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:34 am
Brabus wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:04 am
Dark wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:02 am
Brabus wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:35 am
Ted. wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:38 am

One of the very worst things you could possibly do is to remove the urban limit. Idiotic is not too strong a word.
Constraint upon supply is a major factor in house pricing, the urban limit artificially constrains supply.
Prblem is I am beginning to think Labour wants there to continue being a housing CRISIS.

Along with a mental health and child poverty catastrophe.
To be fair National bottled the RMA reforms but at least they gave that a go Labour just quietly dropped their promise hoping no one would notice.

I don't see anything from the big two that gives me any hope that there is any political will to address the issue. CGT sure as hell isn't the answer, whilst it plays to Labour and the Greens base property bubbles persist in geographies with CGT. Both don't want to devalue housing as wiping paper value off voters assets is political suicide, only the Greens are that mad. The acceleration we've seen in the last couple of years however is concerning. And this is coming from a bloke who bought their Auckland 1/4 acre 4 beddie 15 minutes from town 21 years ago for just short of $200K. This market is that ridiculous!
Which only means you haven't seen anything. There is in fact RMA reform and the much talked about NPSUD 2020

https://www.hud.govt.nz/urban-developme ... nt-nps-ud/

In fact, many TAs are already using the NPSUD to approve resource consents under the existing RMA that would not have had a shit show less than a year ago,

The thing is, new land supply is one part of the equation. The escalating cost of construction is another significant factor for new builds, were Fletchers and CHH are reaping windfall profits off the back of existing house prices (Read as price gouging and profiteering because they can).
Thanks will have a gander
User avatar
Ted.
Posts: 19847
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by Ted. »

Image

I trust this is a sincerely held personal belief, rather than preaching to the choir.
Post Reply