Chat Forum
It is currently Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:43 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29468 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 375, 376, 377, 378, 379, 380, 381 ... 737  Next
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:54 am 

The weird thing is he wasn't even going to talk about those divisive issues. This is such a non-event blown all out of proportion and it's pleasing to see the left and right uniting and pointing out how silly this is.

SJW's on twitter and facebook are trying to defend it with a dozen spurious arguments, but they're nuts and best ignored.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:02 am 

Wilderbeast wrote:
The weird thing is he wasn't even going to talk about those divisive issues. This is such a non-event blown all out of proportion and it's pleasing to see the left and right uniting and pointing out how silly this is.

SJW's on twitter and facebook are trying to defend it with a dozen spurious arguments, but they're nuts and best ignored.
He can't divorce himself from his divisive rhetoric. That is what defines him. While he continues to seek stages from which to promote his zero-treaty agenda he is going to get serious pushback and even further marginalisation.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:34 am 

The defacto leader of the opposition, Judith Collins, has retweeted fake news and asked the PM to respond to the fake news.

Noted National party embedded journalist, Tracey Watkins, is saying the trout is either unhinged and dangerous, or completely stupid.

I’d say both, but then I’m against anything and everything Collins does because clearly she is a poisonous idiot who offers nothing positive to New Zealand. Nothing at all. But for a National party journalist to be so alarmed at Collins’ fake news tweet and also the dumbass Bridges’ response is a major event.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/106100009/how-far-down-this-slippery-slope-will-judith-collins-lead-national

Dark times for the National party. They ought to be happy the media, as always, is going very easy on them though.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:44 am 

brat wrote:
Tehui wrote:
deadduck wrote:
Perhaps a scarier thing is that his so-called extreme views generated an 18% swing for National which culminated in the victory in 2008, decimating the Labour party in the process.

Ah yes, the anti-Maori rhetoric is always sure to attract a few votes. And who can forget his divisive billboards of "iwi - kiwi".

What a great way for a political leader to bring people together.

What was the anti Maori rhetoric?

Doesn’t want to listen to Maori on RNZ?

Doesn’t want preferential treatment of Maori.. wants to treat everyone the same?.. outrageous behaviour like that?

Let's wait until Maori are doing as well as the general population in the socio-economic indicators, before we have a legitimate discussion about how tauiwi should be treated the same as how Maori are treated. But let's not pretend that it's a level playing field for everyone; or that previous Governments did not play a role in creating those disparities in the first place; or that the Crown did not sign a certain Treaty with obligations to look after a group of people.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:20 pm 

Seneca of the Night wrote:
It looks like Paddy Gower is going viral and is having a Cathy Newman moment.

It was worse. Called a detailed answer to a question a rant. How do these fuckwits keep their jobs when they are so bad?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:42 pm 

Good point here that the Judith Collins' retweet of a fake news website, and similarly the Nazi views pushed by the alt right 'free speakers' Laurel Southern and Steven Monyhuex, are nothing more than weaponising ignorance. That's also what I see the roles of Seneca and Bimbo are on this site.

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/politics ... te-it.html

Just feels like the Nats are going a bit fringe. And not in a good way. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:14 pm 

guy smiley wrote:
So here's the reason the talk was called off, apparently...

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-zeal ... event.html

Quote:
On Tuesday, Vice Chancellor Jan Thomas called off the event because of what she called "security concerns" - a move which has since been criticised by politicians including Chris Hipkins, Paula Bennett and Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern.

"I made the decision - it was not an easy decision at all - based on my concern for potential violence on our campus," she told RadioLIVE hosts Ryan Bridge and Christine Rankin.

Vice Chancellor Thomas mentioned seeing threatening comments about the event on social media, although declined to go into specifics other than saying one person had mentioned bringing a gun to campus.

Newshub has learned that two specific Facebook comments prompted the cancellation.

One was a post on August 3 by a Palmerston North man believed to be a member of the Stormtroopers gang. He posted a link to the event page with the caption, "This guy lol...if your [sic] up to nothing wensday [sic] head up to massey uni," accompanied by a laughing emoji and a red circle with a cross through it.

The second concerning remark was a Rotorua man's comment on that same post, which simply read: "Take a gun."

Massey University corporate communications director says those comments were considered "enough red flags to tip the balance" in the eyes of the Vice Chancellor.

He told Newshub that Massey University did alert the police about the comments, but by that point they had already decided to cancel the event because they "needed to act quickly".

Dr Brash said he was "appalled" at the university's decision, which he believes was motivated by comments he's made in the past about "Māori privilege", the use of Te Reo in public broadcasting and his beliefs about the Treaty of Waitangi.

Vice Chancellor Thomas told RadioLIVE that Dr Brash's views are incompatible with Massey, which undertook a new initiative in 2017 to communicate that the university is "Te Tiriti o Waitangi-led".

That very last sentence kinda betrays her motivations a tad, yeah?

Exactly my thoughts too.

She came across as a right pillock on TV.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:40 am 

Its hard to separate the interesting points that you make from the repetitive barbs at the PM. Now, not only are your posts peppered with references to the PM, but we can add your opinions of Uncle FB to the list. Can we please just take it as read that you have nothing but disdain for these two individuals?

As for this ongoing debate on free speech, I'd guess most Kiwis just don't give a flying fudge. My view has always been that people should be able to speak their mind and be judged accordingly. No quicker way of finding out if someone's a pillock or not than by giving them freedom to say what they're really thinking.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:03 am 

Gordon Bennett wrote:
Its hard to separate the interesting points that you make from the repetitive barbs at the PM. Now, not only are your posts peppered with references to the PM, but we can add your opinions of Uncle FB to the list. Can we please just take it as read that you have nothing but disdain for these two individuals?

As for this ongoing debate on free speech, I'd guess most Kiwis just don't give a flying fudge. My view has always been that people should be able to speak their mind and be judged accordingly. No quicker way of finding out if someone's a pillock or not than
by giving them freedom to say what they're really thinking.

Hmm

Point 1: please stop saying these things

Point 2: everyone should say what they want so others can identify the “pillocks”

Ok

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:42 am 

I understand that it may look at hypocrisy, but Seneca has had plenty of opportunities to make his agenda clear. I just think it can be taken as read that whenever he posts, there's the tacit acceptance that the post should be viewed with the prism of disrespect for the PM and Uncle FB. I don't think the 2 points are incompatible in this example.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:09 am 

Tehui wrote:
brat wrote:
Tehui wrote:
deadduck wrote:
Perhaps a scarier thing is that his so-called extreme views generated an 18% swing for National which culminated in the victory in 2008, decimating the Labour party in the process.

Ah yes, the anti-Maori rhetoric is always sure to attract a few votes. And who can forget his divisive billboards of "iwi - kiwi".

Doesn’t want preferential treatment of Maori.. wants to treat everyone the same?.. outrageous behaviour like that?

Let's wait until Maori are doing as well as the general population in the socio-economic indicators, before we have a legitimate discussion about how tauiwi should be treated the same as how Maori are treated. But let's not pretend that it's a level playing field for everyone; or that previous Governments did not play a role in creating those disparities in the first place; or that the Crown did not sign a certain Treaty with obligations to look after a group of people.

Let's not, affirmative action is just robbing one persons opportunity to give it to another.
There is no sane moral basis for it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:42 am 

merlin the happy pig wrote:
Tehui wrote:
brat wrote:
Tehui wrote:
deadduck wrote:

Let's not, affirmative action is just robbing one persons opportunity to give it to another.
There is no sane moral basis for it.

Nonsense. There is clearly a moral basis for affirmative action of some kind in some cases. It is often a reaction to a prior instance of robbing one person's opportunity to give it to another.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:03 am 

The real issue is how do you measure success in the programme to the point at which you discontinue it. Tehui is an equalitarian, and we know how fraught that is.

That is indeed one issue. Another problem is attribution: how do you know what portion of an outcome is down to oppression/bias whatever and how much is down to other factors like preference or, gulp, group level IQ (if that exists).

Equalitarians are worse than Mahitians.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:41 am 

Santa wrote:
The real issue is how do you measure success in the programme to the point at which you discontinue it. Tehui is an equalitarian, and we know how fraught that is.

That is indeed one issue. Another problem is attribution: how do you know what portion of an outcome is down to oppression/bias whatever and how much is down to other factors like preference or, gulp, group level IQ (if that exists).

That's exactly what I'm saying. Like most of these types of programmes, once you've started how do you stop.

Probably when it's no longer needed.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:59 am 

Wilderbeast wrote:
Santa wrote:

That's exactly what I'm saying. Like most of these types of programmes, once you've started how do you stop.

Probably when it's no longer needed.

How do you assess that? Is the need to have the outcome match the demographics? If so why is that need? What if a representative proportion don't want to achieve one particular outcome because they prefer a different one? What if a population is incapable of achieving demographic representation without some lowering of the requirements?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:01 pm 

I don't know if equalitarian is the right box to put me in. But I do believe in equity to create equality, and that some groups require more support to have equal opportunities with others.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:41 am 

blog

This stuff matters. It matters for a few reasons, firstly that of alleviating suffering and the issue of our right to access public health care... what that means, what its overall scope could or should be and our cohesion as a society. Then there's the issue of cost... most don't appreciate the overall cost to society of not spending on mental health. The cost of non productive members in society, the drain on resources... all of that.

Quote:
At a Waikato DHB meeting last week, staff working in the Mental Health and Addictions Service presented a series of statistics demonstrating the state of Aotearoa’s mental health. It wasn’t a pretty picture and shows the enormity of the task facing the Government, it’s Mental Health Inquiry, and the whole community.

The fact that the statistics presented to us have in most cases been around for a few years begs the question as to why they had not been front and foremost in the minds of the previous Government, its health agencies and, indeed, the previous useless and unlamented former Health Minister, whose name I’ve forgotten.

Kicking off the presentation was a well-known piece of information: 20% of Kiwis experienced mental unwellness in the most recent year measured (2016/7). Yet only a maximum of 40% of those (by some measurements only 10%) actually accessed mental health services during the same period – meaning at least 600,000 people in that year experienced mental unwellness, but didn’t or couldn’t access support.

At some time in their lives, almost 40% of Kiwis will experience some form of mental ‘disorder’, but the proportion for Maori over their lifetime is 51%. When an associated study showing that people with serious mental illness or addiction issues will have up to 25 years’ lower life expectancy is considered, and questions of poverty and poor housing are taken into account, there is no wonder Maori in this country have lower life expectancy than pakeha.

Delving into this issue further, the studies show Maori are more than twice as likely to die from suicide as the general population, BUT for those able to access mental health support services, that rate is halved – clearly pointing to the problem that Maori are unable, for whatever reason, to access these services at an appropriate stage of their unwellness.

Maori are also twice as likely to suffer from ‘substance use disorders’ as non-Maori, one of the factors that is adding to the extreme pressure acute and community-based mental health services are under, throughout the country.

Two specific pieces of information that show the current mental health system really is not working for Maori followed; ‘seclusion’ orders in inpatient mental health facilities – where patients are locked away from contact with other people (as in ‘One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest’) – are twice as high for Maori as non-Maori, and Maori are nearly four times as likely to be subjected to Compulsory Treatment Orders in the community – a means under the Mental Health Act of coercively ensuring treatment is undertaken.

Further national statistics showed 52% of Maori classed as having a serious mental health ‘disorder’ had zero contact with any mental health service, while 74% of those with ‘moderate’ disorders had no contact.

Given these terrible statistics, it is not hard to say the current system is clearly not working for the most vulnerable people in Aotearoa, and it’s not too much of a stretch to suggest the system looks like its been designed, and run, completely without the needs of Maori in mind – let alone the needs of the wider population!

In my region, the Waikato, there has been a near trebling of the mental health ‘crisis contacts’ since 2010, where someone is experiencing severe problems, while in the same period the numbers of people arriving at hospital emergency departments (ED) with urgent mental health problems has gone up nearly five times!

With a higher than average Maori population, it is little wonder that Waikato DHB has the worst ‘seclusion’ rates, and the worst ED presentation rates in the country. Its acute inpatient services, at the Henry Bennett Centre, have a bed occupancy rate of about 105% over the last year (the target is about 85% so there will always be beds spare for emergencies), meaning that people are sleeping in corridors and offices on a regular basis. The Government approved a new build for a ‘fit for purpose’ facility in the Waikato over two years ago, something that is yet to happen.

The fact of the matter is that, while Waikato is in one of the worst situations as far as mental health care goes, especially for Maori, the rest of the country is not far behind, and there is a monumental task ahead of us all, if we’re to turn the ship around.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:48 am 

Tehui wrote:

I don't know if equalitarian is the right box to put me in. But I do believe in equity to create equality, and that some groups require more support to have equal opportunities with others.

Yep. There is a lot of what is referred to as "institutionalized racism" in NZ, (which is probably a poor term which perhaps should be referred to as institutionalized favoritism).

And by that we mean that they way our systems our set up favor some areas of society more than others. For example, access to healthcare (including mental health as mentioned in guy's post above) is clearly a lot easier for those in a large urban center than for those in rural areas. So Maori are more likely to be disadvantaged as a greater percentage live outside of those centers.

We also fund some areas that have had successful lobby groups or similar, such as IVF programs. Maori are less likely to need those services as the average age of Maori women having their first child is lower. So it largely benefits older non-Maori women who have delayed childbirth. Health programs that would be of more benefit to Maori are often competing with those services for the funding they need.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:07 am 

Fat Old Git wrote:
Tehui wrote:

Yep. There is a lot of what is referred to as "institutionalized racism" in NZ, (which is probably a poor term which perhaps should be referred to as institutionalized favoritism).

And by that we mean that they way our systems our set up favor some areas of society more than others. For example, access to healthcare (including mental health as mentioned in guy's post above) is clearly a lot easier for those in a large urban center than for those in rural areas. So Maori are more likely to be disadvantaged as a greater percentage live outside of those centers.

We also fund some areas that have had successful lobby groups or similar, such as IVF programs. Maori are less likely to need those services as the average age of Maori women having their first child is lower. So it largely benefits older non-Maori women who have delayed childbirth. Health programs that would be of more benefit to Maori are often competing with those services for the funding they need.

This is taken as axiomatic by progressives.
The problem with axioms is that little to no effort is made to examine whether they are valid.
In this case there is no strong case for assuming its truth.

Regardless, if Maori, for example dis advantaged because they are more likely to have children younger, then target people who have children younger.
In an age where we are supposed not to discriminate based on race, you are promoting discrimination based on race.

I for one don't believe the axiom that unequal outcomes are a result of structural racism, but no one in the social sciences is allowed to look, so the potentially wortless spending will continue indefinitely.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:28 am 

Regardless, if Maori, for example dis advantaged because they are more likely to have children younger, then target people who have children younger.
In an age where we are supposed not to discriminate based on race, you are promoting discrimination based on race.

You seem to be tying this up in a knot here...

most societies born out of colonisation seem to have resulted in disadvantage to the indigenous inhabitants. It's usually firmly established and even systemic, perhaps. There is then this argument that you're presenting here that race discrimination policy shouldn't see those people receiving special assistance, when the system or society they find themselves living in essentially already discriminates against them.

It strikes me that directing resources to the most needy is logical and effective and that criticising that on the basis of discrimination is either missing the point or counterproductive.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:58 am 

Pretty tense around work lately....

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:03 am 

Fat Old Git wrote:
Tehui wrote:

This is taken as axiomatic by progressives.
The problem with axioms is that little to no effort is made to examine whether they are valid.
In this case there is no strong case for assuming its truth.

I for one don't believe the axiom that unequal outcomes are a result of structural racism, but no one in the social sciences is allowed to look, so the potentially wortless spending will continue indefinitely.

I don't believe that there is any structural/institutional racism in New Zealand at all. There is unquestionable normal common or garden racism. I suggest that unequal outcomes result from various factors such as individual and group preference (the later an expression of culture), population genetics and standard economic factors that are common to every society (e.g. it is easier and more effective to fund health care in urban areas than rural areas). There are also some historical issues, which are not expression of institutional racism but rather matters of legacy, particularly around alienation from resources and wealth. These are being dealt with to some extent through the Waitangi Tribunal. Whether that is a good/fair institution is a different matter that again is unrelated to institutional racism.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:06 am 

Does anyone else think Bridges himself/National leaked the info to try and distract from the actual information? $1k per day on expenses :lol: this country makes me sick. And depressed that we are probably a lot less corrupt than the rest of the world.

I like FOG's term of 'institutional favouritism'.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:22 am 

kiweez wrote:

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:55 am 

Ghost-Of-Nepia wrote:
kiweez wrote:

You nervous yet...???

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:57 am 

kiweez wrote:
Ghost-Of-Nepia wrote:
kiweez wrote:

You nervous yet...???

Not in the slightest! First I heard of it was in the news.

Honest.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:09 am 

Ghost-Of-Nepia wrote:
kiweez wrote:
Ghost-Of-Nepia wrote:
kiweez wrote:

You nervous yet...???

Not in the slightest! First I heard of it was in the news.

Honest.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:36 am 

kiweez wrote:
Ghost-Of-Nepia wrote:
kiweez wrote:

You nervous yet...???

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:14 pm 

Winston confirmed as the most paranoid person in NZ

Lol

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/arti ... d=12108254

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:05 pm 

Dark wrote:
Winston confirmed as the most paranoid person in NZ

Lol

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/arti ... d=12108254

I don't blame him TBH. I've always believed the Party List MPs are accountable to their Party, whereas electorate MPs are directly accountable to their constituents.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:08 pm 

Some labour troll probably leaked Bridges info. Then realized he'd totally shat the bed, so leaked the rest in a useless effort to try and balance the ledger.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:50 pm 

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/politics ... al-mp.html

A National MP is the prime suspect. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:33 pm 

True Blue wrote:
Some labour troll probably leaked Bridges info. Then realized he'd totally shat the bed, so leaked the rest in a useless effort to try and balance the ledger.

It was all being released anyway? Wasn’t there only the single leak?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:40 pm 

Auckman wrote:
https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/politics/2018/08/simon-bridges-expenses-leak-chatter-centred-on-national-mp.html

We all know it was the Crusher. What’s more, she’s probably told Bridges then challenged him to have the balls to do something about it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:16 am 

Auckman wrote:
https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/politics/2018/08/simon-bridges-expenses-leak-chatter-centred-on-national-mp.html

That's based on "chatter" around Parliament as described by a Labour MP.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:19 am 

JB1981 wrote:
Auckman wrote:

That's based on "chatter" around Parliament as described by a Labour MP.

and not denied by Judith Collins who was sitting right next to him when he said it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:52 am 

I see that Douglas Murray is slipping in the country this weekend for a talk at the aotea Centre. Is Phil Goff aware of his views on Islam and immigration, or does his nice accent give him the pass?

No just wait til Patrick Gower stops him mid "rant"

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:47 am 

Well, that was one of the tougher weeks around work.

Time to drown in a large whiskey....

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:11 am 

kiweez wrote:

Because of the leak? Or because of public scrutiny on what government limos cost per day to keep running?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:24 am 

Thai guy wrote:
kiweez wrote:

Because of the leak? Or because of public scrutiny on what government limos cost per day to keep running?

You more than most on here know what it’s like for Public Servants.
Media says 123, politicians say 345 but the truth is actual XYZ......but you can’t come out and front foot it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29468 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 375, 376, 377, 378, 379, 380, 381 ... 737  Next